• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
I always go for the fthrow>upsmash at 0% on a new marth. If they upB the first time, then you can usually get them to do it again next stock. Which makes it a free regrab. Which means fthrow>upsmash is guaranteed.

After that it's just a guessing game with a grab at 0%.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzuGdvfYJFo&list=UUuX5mrUy3C-usVm6hBUBrcw&feature=plcp

Match 1 vs ROB, Match 2 vs Diddy: In loser's bracket round 4

Not experienced in either of these matchups (never played a ROB before), but this is the first time I've felt I played well enough to be critiqued.

Be brutal, I'm looking to improve.
I know the Pika-R.O.B. matchup pretty well from both sides, so here I go:

First off, the R.O.B. you played likely didn't know the MU at all either. R.O.B.'s D- and F-Tilts should cancel out T. Jolts consistently, and he decided to PS them all. You should be firing them off so they hit him before they bounce off the ground, because that exact angle is where R.O.B. is weakest, and he'll be forced to PS them.
I noticed that you do Dash > Spot-Dodge > D-Smash a lot. Against a good R.O.B. this might not even work once. F-Tilt, D-Tilt and D-Smash will stop you from getting closer in a run. You're lucky the R.O.B. didn't know this and decided to spot-dodge almost every time you did that.
You shouldn't be recovering anywhere near him. Sure, if you're across the stage in landing lag and he hits you with a laser, that's 3-5% and basically no knockback compared to an F-Smash in the face, which you took quite a few times.
If R.O.B. short-hops, take note of which direction he's facing. If he's facing away from you, he's probably going for a B-Air. If not, F-Air. Both are easy to get away from since Pikachu is fast. If you're running at him and he SHs over you, just keep running or try to throw out an U-Smash while his laggy aerials are starting. You got hit around 2:30 because you did a dash attack when R.O.B. SH'd over you.
Be careful with Thunder if you're doing it in place and won't absolutely hit R.O.B. This is very uncommon, but R.O.B. can use his S-Special to reflect Thunder.

All I can say for now, gotta go. Hope this was helpful.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx6fRmhzhgY

I'm pretty sure my mistakes aren't Pika specific, but I'd still appreciate any feedback :D
Still being helpful here yays.
Not speaking from experience on this one, but from general knowledge I've picked up playing as/against both characters:
Pika vs D3:
-Rule #1 of the Dedede Matchup: Don't get grabbed. He grabbed you a LOT. He didn't capitalize on it a lot, but he got a lot of free damage because you kept running or jumping at his shield. Ways to avoid getting grabbed include SH Dair onto his shield (as opposed to Fair), staying away from him while he's in shield, etc.
-Recover safely. This means as far away from Dedede's grab/F-tilt range as possible. I saw you get shieldgrabbed a couple times because you tried to get back up from the ledge with a F-air and didn't follow through with it. I'd personally go a little higher and use D-Air then go past him. A good on-stage example of you doing this was the OoS D-Air at 1:40. You hit him and he missed the shield grab.
-This is a tip I've gotten a few times from the R.O.B. boards, but it's still pretty applicable. Spam him out. If need be, bring him to time. Dedede is really difficult to kill, and Pikachu doesn't have the strongest (reliable) finishers in this MU. This is an issue R.O.B. runs into a lot too; our two kill moves (Nair and Bair) won't kill Dedede for a REALLY long time. Also, he can't grab you if you're safely spamming TJ's.
-Don't QA randomly. You SD'd twice because you QA'd off the stage. I'm not sure what you were trying to do, but whatever it was, it went wrong.

This one I can actually speak with some experience though:
Diddy vs D3:
-Learn to glide toss. It is literally impossible to play Diddy well without being able to Glide Toss and Pseudo-Glide Toss (or whatever the jump-cancel throw one is called). You definitely played my Diddy once or twice, and you probably noticed I slid everywhere, chucking bananas as I went. The timing isn't difficult at all (it's about as hard as a shieldgrab from a powershielded attack) and it becomes reactionary after a while. Almost every time you did a roll-dodge could have been a glide toss with a banana being chucked into D3's face.
-Learn how to control items. Probably the most important aspect of Diddy's game is controlling his own bananas. Things like instant throw/drop, Z-Drop, and Glide Tossing. 10 seconds after the match started, D3 had control of both bananas. This should not happen.
-Don't spot-dodge so much. Do an OoS Nair/Bair every once in a while to mix it up.
-Dedede isn't going to die at any kind of reasonable percent except from a Fair. So get him to a completely unreasonable percent by punishing everything he misses with GT > Grab > D/B/U-Throw. Save F-Throw for killing near the edge if you ever get him to a percent that he'll actually die at. Immediately follow up the throw with D-Special to pull out another banana (only if you don't already have two).
-Keep a banana in your hand whenever you're on the ground. You can use it for spacing (GT forward or backward), full retreat (dribble, essentially GT back throwing the banana down then regrabbing the banana), offense (GT forward, trip the opponent, get a free grab/D-Smash/F-Tilt), escaping chain grabs (Z-drop while you're being sent out of the grab, the Dedede will trip or see the banana and stop)...there's just so many uses for this one item.
EDIT: How convenient that the video in the above post has a good Diddy in it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AUca1b8n4A&
Take note of how much glide-tossing there is.

That's all I can think of at 3 in the morning. Hope it helped.

Also if any better Pika's see this, feel free to correct anything. Just speaking from what I've seen, not what I've played.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx6fRmhzhgY

I'm pretty sure my mistakes aren't Pika specific, but I'd still appreciate any feedback :D
You need to practice your pressure game with Pikachu. SH fairs (not fast falled) are really good for pressuring shields, as are dtilts and SH dairs. Combined with tjolts, those are, in my opinion, the bread and butter of Pikachu's pressuring game on stage.

Once you pressure D3 offstage, he should have a very tough time getting back on. There's no need to go out offstage with him. Just stay on stage and keep him off with thunders, fairs, and SH dairs. Those are really the only three moves you need to punish him for trying to get back on. If he full hops off the ledge, thunder. If he rolls back on, SH dair. If he does normal getup, SH dair. If he does getup attack, shield it then fair him back off. If he's staying on the ledge, peg him with some tjolts.

Also, note that Pika's pressure game won't really work well if you don't take advantage of his mobility. I saw a lot of times you were not moving but just standing there like a log. This will put you on the defensive. Your opponent will just pressure your shield once they get their spacing right, thus putting you in a terrible position. Use your speed to adjust your spacing to your opponent's movements. Heck, use your great foxtrot and speed to bait them into committing to moves, then back off at the last second and punish.

Rapax

Smash Apprentice
Hi there =)

I always liked Pikachu and since I'm trying to get away from MK, I would like you to critique some of my latest replays :)

Note, these are all friendlies, but nonetheless we played seriously:

vs. Wario
vs. Falco
vs. Fox
vs. Ice Climbers

I would really appreciate constructive critique about what I could do better, thanks a lot beforehand =)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
umm you guys didn't abuse heal much & i wanted to see more thunder. otherwise decent teamwork imo
i was a little wet at that last combo tho

mekos 3 stocked me :(

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Not quite. Communication helps but it takes about half a second to realize what they are saying and adjust. You have to realize the situations which takes a decent amount of time. Me and Mekos were really only proficient at it at Xanadu

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why and it will be soon implented into any board that needs it so no rush.
I agree

Also, more videos but with the best Ness in Japan.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16548504

Mind that in these matches, somehow 75% of his kills are me suddenly tripping. =.

I also found videos of the japanese pika community. This is a arrangement of 6v6. Between the dk and pikas. It was a better vs. Than the lucases. =.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15657275 Part1)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15665712 Part2)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15673351 Part3)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15673549 Part4)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15673716 Part5)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15673844 Part6)

ピカチュウ使い 「The Pikas」
1 らんちゃ 「Rancha」
2 りーん 「Riin」
3 せるだんご 「Sarudango」
4 さら 「Sara」
5 ましゃ 「Masha」
6 ゅき 「Snow」

If you want to view it, use this for login.
[collapse= Login]

TheseAmericans@yahoo.com
Antherbiz
[/collapse]

Don't mind the email name, just a useless account I made for no reason except to be used for someone who wants to view the videos.

Captain L

Smash Champion

This is the only one I watched since I know the matchup the best.

Anyway, my general impression was that you spotdodge waaaay too much. A more patient opponent could punish you super hard on that, like the time on the edge where you spotdodged like 5 times in a row. I know you ended up getting a grab there, but it's really not a good idea. Especially against wario, where he could've used neutral B and literally ate those spotdodges.

Another thing I noticed you do a lot was recover with skull bash. It's incredibly punishable, especially considering you have the wonderfully versatile QA instead. Skull bash should really only be used to momentum cancel.

When you were trying to punish him, it seemed you used dsmash a lot. It's an okay punish if they're spotdodging, but timing a grab is always much more rewarding. Dsmash will get like two hits if they see it coming, whereas a grab can do around 20% guaranteed at lower percents. Which is another thing I noticed you did twice, you were facing away from the stage while holding wario at low percents and you bthrew offstage. Wario will have no problem getting back from that scratch free, you should've just taken free damage from dthrow or fthrow with their followups.

The wario you played against failed to punish your recovery quite often. For instance, you didn't cancel your QA at around 3:00, and he just jabbed you when an fsmash probably would've killed. And I don't know what he was trying to do at 3:14, but if he had just stood back and waited for you to land he could've killed you with a charged smash instead of suiciding like that. At 3:35 he could've positioned himself for a clap KO during skull bash's relatively long cooldown lag.

At the end, you could've angled your QAs differently and survived, diagonally up to the right and then straight to the right would've got the job done quite nicely. Although you really shouldn't have been doing that second thunder in the first place.

That was a really cool read you had at around 2:30, pivot grab probably wouldn't have worked since he was dodging so instead you got the charged pivot upsmash. Nice!

So here's my advice for you in order of importance:

-spotdodge way less (shield is much better)
-don't recover with skull bash nearly as much. Mixing up various QA recoveries is the way to go, specifically try QACing on to the stage.
-don't use dsmash as a punish as much, the damage output isn't very good if they SDI properly. Try grabs at low percents, and nair oos at high percents where it's one of your best KO options
-take guaranteed damage from throw followups at low percents, it means a lot more than throwing your opponent offstage (unless they're easily gimpable, and even then it still might be worth it for the extra 10% from a nair)
-try using grounded fairs more, but don't get predicable with it. It sucks if you hit their shield with it, but if you can connect the hit you get many followups.

Hope that's what you were looking for :)

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
Good matches !

Btw your brawl is awesome, I'd like to know what texture pack you actually use because he really is beautiful ! Got tired of mine x_x
Those are my own textures that I made myself.

Also, new matches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDcsmGsVZAU vs. Gori (or Goalie)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Dnv_fm3KU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjTif-6ZVuQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWqOXVbX64o vs. Karimero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPALOJK5nw

Enjoy

Zodiark

Smash Apprentice
Okay okay but where did you get that final destination texture and the battlefield one ? ( the one with a castle). I just love them but I couldnt find it on brawl vault :o.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
So I've been training up my pika cause I think he's a **** character and decided yesterday to whip him out in tournament... And I won lol. However next weekend there is another tournament where I stand to win a lot more money than I won yesterday, so I definitely wanna win that. What I need is some really good advice vs marth, because although I may have beaten him in tournament, you'll see from the MM that he may have caught on to my pika (idk if I have fatigue/not trying as hard johns or not, but I am treating it as I legit lost). What I need is match-up specific tactics that I am not doing. Telling me my habits is nice and all, but I think what I am missing the most is the pikachu metagame.

I hope you guys can help me. And remember I mostly want advice for the marth match-up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYwGXZWDxvQ&context=C32c5ca1ADOEgsToPDskJq5f6cAAnKBvWSdcvX_C-_ GF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjK1X_uA0fw&context=C386598eADOEgsToPDskIxtkKKQBLNP6wmIPTyi2aW WF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJMO...A7294603F5D15F71&context=G2a119c2FAAAAAAAABAA MMs (19 min mark is where I vs his marth)

Cassio

Smash Master
Ok I only looked at the first two Marth matches in the MM. I know you said not to call out bad habits but I think its important for this MU. Dont dash around so much. Dashing is ok but if you do it from across the screen its really easy for marth to just retreat an aerial and be safe. And you dash shield as an approach way to much, and end up in a lot of trouble because youll roll or spot dodge and he seems to be really good at punishing that.

Marth should not be able to wall you out with aerials. Aside from jumping at you with the first part of his aerial, marth is unable to hit pika for the first 3/4 of his jump (theyll go right over his head). You can dash right under and do whatever, but again this wont work if you dash from far away. You can try to punish the retreating aerial, but its kind of a tough guessing game and I prefer to just let him lose the stage control.

You should definitely look into improving your edgeguarding, for that you should just watch any video of ESAM vs marth.

Fthrow upsmash is guaranteed I think after 9%, and dthrow -> dash -> nair is guaranteed until like late 50%.

Also Marth relies on his aerial mobility as much as his range to space against pika. So if he does a full jump or is otherwise constrained in horizontal movement, moving in close and using fsmash and ftilt (I think fsmash is better) as he tries to hit you should exchange in your favor. I saw you do that once or twice and I tend to see it in ESAMs videos as well.

Probably more stuff, but tired atm.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I have to dash nair to hit it?

And I totally understand the dash shield ****. I pretty much recognized that after I got home, and I was doing it cause it was working out for me in my previous games with him. It's a weird feeling when players start figuring out ****. Also can I punish his jumps with a usmash? I tried doing it a couple times and it seems the timing is tight, but doable.

EDIT: As far as edge guarding, I can't believe I forgot to use thunder to cover the ledge :/. Probably would've helped me out a ton huh?

Cassio

Smash Master
If you mean the dthrow nair, yes the dash is required. Prime has a video on it plus a bunch of other cool pika stuff on his channel if you get the chance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3gT7Hlw6TI
It works on almost everyone and is 22% from a grab.

Yes you can punish sh jumps with usmash or nair. The only time he can hit you with the beginning of fair is if hes in range of dtilt or ftilt. If hes retreating its harder since he can delay the hit, but just watch for his habits. Its a way to force marth to play a more ground based game. However you cant dash shield it you have to just go for it, and its not going to work once he starts playing a more ground based game or if its really obvious (aka running from across the screen, try and be midrange instead). I mention it because he was basically tossing out aerials that would never hit you over and over again, many of which werent retreated. Intuitively we think theyd hit us and try to shield them or stay out of range which is what happened, but they go over pikas head even when hes standing upright unless he super delays them, but that leaves us plenty of time to run in and do some damage. You can test it out in training mode yourself, its something I realized a month or two ago.

As for Marth offstage I highly recommend watching recent ESAM vids vs marth. He does good edgeguard stuff too but the way he uses jolts when marths on the ledge leaves them super trapped there, I dont think describing it is as good as watching it.

edit: Also ESAM approaches the MU different than I do and you probably have a style to your pika as well. Take what Im saying more as what pika is capable of doing moreso than a strategy.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Call me crazy but I think skull bash is an amazing edgeguarder against Marth especially when he has no jumps.

Cassio

Smash Master
lmao how did he think that would work.

And yeah anther seems to be a believer in SB for edgeguarding when the character uses his jump.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Pretty good on the whole (although I don't know that matchup terribly well, so you might want to take this with a grain of salt), but there were a few things I did notice.

First off, you should learn the buffered CG on D3, I think you can get him from 0 to 80% (plus regrab?) using it.

Secondly, it seems like every time you use F-smash, you get punished for it, and only once or twice did it hit. (In particular, D-throw to F-smash isn't likely to work.) It's a great punishing move, but mainly when your opponent misses an attack and lands in front of you.

Thirdly, I think you were too aggressive on the whole. This is moreso theory crafting on my end, but it looked like the D3 had a lot of opportunities where he could have simply shield grabbed you if he'd taken that route (or perhaps used his inhale). I know I personally do a lot better (to the point where playing aggressively gets me 2-stocked and doing otherwise let's me go about even) when I play defensively with a combination of jolts, F-airs/U-airs, and tilts.

By the way, your thunder chasing was really nice. I loved the QAC-thunder on game 3 where the DDD dodged into the sweetspot, that's always fun. XD

Top Bottom