• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
So spammy! But not bad, just not my particular taste in playstyle. ;;

In the first vid, first kill on Peach......... is that Pika's usmash outranging Peach's fair? Or did she just space it wrong?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You were chaingrabbing the snake way too slow when you were F-throwing him in the 2nd match. He could've grenaded out of it no problem.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, Prime, please update as soon as you get a chance.

--

Bump for these.

I'm not anywhere near done uploading all my vids, but I know some people wanted to see Lucario in particular. I win one, lose one (pretty badly), so I guess use them as a what-to-do and what-not-to-do-at-any-cost, lol.

KayLo! (Pika) vs. Squall (Lucario) 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9OwjDYOWik
KayLo! (Pika) vs. Squall (Lucario) 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFiLgHNaElg

I'm gonna ask for critique eventually, but I wanna wait til I get more vids up. Already aware of some of my stupider mistakes (roll/spotdodge habit in particular...... and nairing OOS too much). :urg:

EDIT: Also, these originally had textures on, which is the only reason I'd use anything but goggleschu. :mad:!

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Also, these originally had textures on, which is the only reason I'd use anything but goggleschu. :mad:!
Oh. I had killachu in that slot, but since you didn't send me any character textures I took it off. Woulda left it on had I known.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I have a better version on now. :p

Anyways, finished uploading all my Pika vids. These are for the archive.

vs. Squall (Lucario) 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9OwjDYOWik
vs. ChiboSempai (ROB) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsT_7l-3bSo
vs. Kingtoon (TL) 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD07j5q3HfQ
vs. MIB (Ness) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDCAH2gODmE

The last two are losses, but I still played fairly well despite controller dumbness (see: grounded jolts, random jabs, and an SD :().

--

And now....... these are for critique!

vs. Squall (Lucario) 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFiLgHNaElg
vs. Kingtoon (TL) 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkUQrlEAUmQ
vs. Squall (Snake) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tieguYDkq4w
vs. Squall (Snake) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-zY1O8WFxk - he was playing extra lazy this match (even for a friendly lol), but meh.

I'm aware of most of my glaring habits, but hearing them from other people will be a good thing I think. Plus I might be missing some..... so be harsh! I wanna move past being a mediocrechu. :urg:

Oh, but anything obviously stupid like grounded jolts or reverse jabbing is my controller. Sometimes my jump doesn't come out, and my control stick is janked. -_____-

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I watched the squall snake one on lylat...

If you want a kinda light-hearted critique, skip this.

Why the hell would you SH T-jolt right in his face at kill %s? That will always get you killed and you should know better. Also, When you thunder, you don't have to hold down the entire thunder. Please DI bairs better, you died at <90%, which even against snake is too low. Also, if there is a C4 planted and you need to cross it, WALK across it so you can shield on reaction to snake saying "NOW". Also, on the Lylat wings you can D-throw buffer CG slowly because of the slant, the grenades won't stay under you. However, if the stage is moving downwards, finish the CG with a nair. TY :D

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Tbh, I was expecting worse/stuff I didn't know already from The Great ESAM.

Step it up, man!

Jkjk, thanks, I'll keep that all in mind.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Lol I'm not going to call you names because that is pointless and it doesn't help (Although I know plenty of things I can call you)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You forget that I was here back in the day when you weren't so good either. =P

I remember a few Snake matches where you got full frontal ftilted to the face for tjolting too close too, hehe.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Ftilt's just as bad son.

I'm just messin with you, tho, I know it was a dumb mistake. I'm hella smart at Smash outside the game (*toots own horn*), but when it comes to actually playing, I do ******** things and don't think straight. Meh.

Besides, I have plenty of names for you too. <3 One day, ESAM..... one day.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
awwwww i got sad on the lylat snake match kloz :'(

when he was recovering u clda totaly edgehogged him and it wlda been game, i noticed that a couple times on ur matches with the lucario, u didnt edgehog him ever. Idk if u guys werent allowing that or somethng but man it wlda won u that snake match haha

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, I dunno, they were friendlies, so I wasn't trying to do dumb stuff (cypher gimps, dthrow CG, etc.), although I did gimp his Lucario first stock in the PS1 match.

I'm also blind + forgetful, a combination that gets me killed by C4s..... ALL THE TIME.

Dunno. I do beat Squall's Snake sometimes. He usually wins, but we play so much that we play extra lazy a lot. x.x He doesn't camp hard enough, and I don't gimp or CG enough. One day I'll get a serious set of me vs. my crewmates.

..............One day.

But keep the critique coming!

King~

Smash Champion

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Kyoshi, gtfo. This is MY critique time. ;____;

I'll look at them when I get back from my Smashfest. :p

Arikie

Smash Journeyman

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
In the next week I'll upload matches of yesterday's tournament of

Me + MVD in doubles
Me vs Seibrik in singles (WF and GF)

IDK what else I played on the main screen...

Roller

Smash Legend
Ari, I only have a sec. But real quick. I only watched the Wolf vid so far. Not bad. Nice kill on his second stock. lol

Um. As for things to work on. Obviously everyone screws up buffer cg's sometimes, and you seemed to have it down pretty well. So I wouldn't worry much about it. But something with the buffer cg's that you CAN work on is learning exactly what combo of grabs works best on a character.

For instance, you started out with multiple F-throws then went to D-throws. The best way to cg wolf from 0% is to D-throw 3 times, pummel once, then continue to D-throw. That way can get them to 115% WITH another regrab. I only know that one because a friend of mine here at home plays wolf. So I had to look it up a while ago. There is a thread for the best methods to cg characters somewhere. You've probably seen it. I'd check the pikachu forum directory for the thread if you need it.

EDIT: ALSO. It is becoming increasingly apparent that everyone just wants their vids critiqued and doesn't seem to care nearly as much about helping others. Sure, KayLo, ESAM, and some other people help out a good amount. But for the most part people are posting their own vids without at least attempting to help the other people in need.

I highly suggest something be done about this. Such as some type of a loosely or (non) enforced rule that everyone should critique 1-2 people before each time they post vids to be critiqued. The way things are right now we just have everyone throwing tons of vids up and the few people who do help with the critiques get too inundated with all of them to be able to effectively critique them all.

Just an idea..

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, I agree with Roller...... I've been slacking off on this too (and in general around here), but this week I'm going to try to catch up with everything. I was just thinking the exact same thing when I read this thread earlier: too many vids, not enough critique to keep up.

I'll talk it over with Prime and see if we can come up with something.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Ari, I only have a sec. But real quick. I only watched the Wolf vid so far. Not bad. Nice kill on his second stock. lol

Um. As for things to work on. Obviously everyone screws up buffer cg's sometimes, and you seemed to have it down pretty well. So I wouldn't worry much about it. But something with the buffer cg's that you CAN work on is learning exactly what combo of grabs works best on a character.

For instance, you started out with multiple F-throws then went to D-throws. The best way to cg wolf from 0% is to D-throw 3 times, pummel once, then continue to D-throw. That way can get them to 115% WITH another regrab. I only know that one because a friend of mine here at home plays wolf. So I had to look it up a while ago. There is a thread for the best methods to cg characters somewhere. You've probably seen it. I'd check the pikachu forum directory for the thread if you need it.

EDIT: ALSO. It is becoming increasingly apparent that everyone just wants their vids critiqued and doesn't seem to care nearly as much about helping others. Sure, KayLo, ESAM, and some other people help out a good amount. But for the most part people are posting their own vids without at least attempting to help the other people in need.

I highly suggest something be done about this. Such as some type of a loosely or (non) enforced rule that everyone should critique 1-2 people before each time they post vids to be critiqued. The way things are right now we just have everyone throwing tons of vids up and the few people who do help with the critiques get too inundated with all of them to be able to effectively critique them all.

Just an idea..
I see your point but some people may feel they are not good enough to critique others.

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
I see your point but some people may feel they are not good enough to critique others.
This. This is the main reason I've not said anything (though I have watched several vids that requested critique). I'll try to make some attempts on future vids, but they will most likely be feeble and bad. As I don't feel my ability is at the point where I could contribute too much meaningful that someone who actually knows what they're doing wouldn't already point out or otherwise explain better.

While it works fine for already established people, I fear such a rule will cause a bootstrapping problem for newer pikas. They need help, but can't ask for critiques because they have not critiqued others. Meanwhile, they don't know enough/are too intimidated to actually critique, so they can't build up "critique credits" so that they can get the help they need.

I'm not saying the idea's entirely without merit, it just needs some tweaking that I can't figure out at the moment.

Roller

Smash Legend
This. This is the main reason I've not said anything (though I have watched several vids that requested critique). I'll try to make some attempts on future vids, but they will most likely be feeble and bad. As I don't feel my ability is at the point where I could contribute too much meaningful that someone who actually knows what they're doing wouldn't already point out or otherwise explain better.

While it works fine for already established people, I fear such a rule will cause a bootstrapping problem for newer pikas. They need help, but can't ask for critiques because they have not critiqued others. Meanwhile, they don't know enough/are too intimidated to actually critique, so they can't build up "critique credits" so that they can get the help they need.

I'm not saying the idea's entirely without merit, it just needs some tweaking that I can't figure out at the moment.
This is the reason I didn't post this idea sooner. I was conflicted. Which is why I added the loosely/non-enforced clause. However. With the exception of people who are just joining this forum and are still learning some of the basics. Everyone here should be able to contribute at least a little something.

I'll quote a PM I sent to Arikie on this very topic.

"to answer your question, definitely. I'm sure you could find atleast 1-2 things out of a couple vids someone posts that the player can work on. Even the smallest things can make a huge impact on someone's performance. Maybe they don't utilize their tilts enough. Maybe they neglect certain useful aerials, maybe they need to work on when and when not to use t-jolt.

Any of these things I'm sure you can and would notice if you were to keep an eye out for them. And critiquing others also forces you to notice habits that you have yourself. Maybe you realize that someone doesn't use utilt at all, then realize. Wait a second. I don't use that enough either..

I would be lying if I told you that critiquing other pikas hasn't helped my game immensely. Plus you may notice them do something well, something that you don't implement in your game yet. For example; I picked up shield->nair a long while back after critiquing a vid in which the player made great use of it. I try to learn something from every pika I watch/play against. Even the notasgood players usually have something unique to their play style that you can learn from. So yes, for the good of the community, and yourself I would suggest helping out."
Now, maybe not all newer players could point out all of those suggestions. But I'm sure at least most of the pikas who have been here for at least a few months could see/point out a few of the afore mentioned areas where improvement could occur.

Of course if you are brand new here and are just starting with less than 15 posts. Of course you couldn't be expected to do this. But for those who feel they know at least enough to get by with pika. It is (imho) your moral obligation to do something to give back to the community that has helped you to get where you are today.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Critiquing these:

Video 1
0:05 Careful with using QAC to maneuver around, Ike has huge hitboxes, and nair and uair last for 17 frames

0:09 Don't land in front of people with QAC, easy to punish OoS

0:21 Lol close call, he read you there, but wasn't fast enough. Don't QAC too much that its predictable

0:23 Don't auto pilot your inputs, utilt > bair is fine but make sure the utilt hits first

0:37 wut? QA up? Not wise against a sword

0:39 You're being predictable with QAC, doing it too much

0:49 You knwo you're being predictable when if you didn't retreat that QA in the last second you would have been hit

1:08 Dsmash is a high risk move against Ike, he can legit punish you with ftilt OoS as you just were

1:15 you got read

1:33 don't roll into Ike, not only are you rolls so short, but Ike punishes rolls harshly. light was silly with that dsmash though o_O

1:46 Dsmash again, I recommend using dtilt in that possible where you are facing the back of their shield. Ike's only option is bair and that will miss when you are using dtilt. Works for most characters (B reversal Up B OoS will counter dtilt and low hitting bairs)

2:12 wow tipper fsmash for the kill, well, I say you should have been trying for fair > utilt

2:27 You're too slow, buffer faster

2:35 :\ I know you weren't doing the CG right but meh

2:39 you both were shielded, best thing to do was the OoS retreat or fair. You know you were too far to Shieldgrab

2:41 I love doing that as Ike

3:01 don't get too aggressive in the air, or you'll eat a fair

3:03 Land those fairs behind shields

After this point Light very poorly so its hard to give proper critique. However good job taking advantage of that.

0:07 Don't spam too close, Ike has a long sword

0:10.5 Don't using dsmash after spotdodge, ftilt is just as fast and more effective on trades

0:16 QAC > bair... i dunno if that was an input error but that didn't work out for you in the end.

0:19 :\ you know what you did

0:23 Learn to direct your QA in weird angles to sweetspot. You're lucky you weren't punished

0:54 Ike's usmash is his fastest smash to recover from lag.

1:00-1:05 Bair isn't working out, try other aerials like maybe uair

1:20 good tjolt any quick draw attempt

1:23 that is an error by you, you got punished accordingly but luckily not with fsmash

1:28 Light read you but misspaced luckily

1:34 that was very very close

1:43 lol, time thunder so that if he releases QD to hit you, he goes into thunder2

1:55 utilt!!! That would have been an easy set up for thunder

2:10 Dsmash was really a bad move, you were lucky Light didn't punish it

2:33 roll... IN FRONT OF HIM???

2:45 spamming too close

2:56 you mis-timed that spot dodge

3:42 .... Ike has no fast move to do out of dash. Spot dodging like that is just silly

you played overall better in match 2. besides the excessive dsmash and similar wifi habits, you got a solid game down. Just work on that.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Arkie, one quick thing I noticed: You always QAC directly down on the second part. It got predictable and the places you were landing were easy to punish. If you want to use QAC a lot, work on landing in safer spots. A lot of times when you used it to approach, you would land in front of them. Try landing behind them instead.

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for the critiques, all of you.

It's been a little while since I posted those videos and I think I may have improved. if you guys would like me to help with critiques I would be more then happy to. I think I will post more videos after someone else or eventually tomorrow if no one else posts anything by then.

Also if anyone needs replays recorded just send them to me, I've got a Dazzle and stuff.

BOXINGKING

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BOXINGKING
ME VS killerjaws samus. This is curently the best samus in europe according to samus boards.

Havent ever played a good samus b4... they tend to camp alot.. does that mean that i just jolt?i dont like playing g** but sometimes it seems against some characters you just have to. like toonlink i think the only way to beat him is to jolt alot cause he will be throwing projectiles evry second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhoXNjPAoS4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJbLuibqJJU

add them when u have time. thanks.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I think you just don't know the matchup, Bking.

I can tell you about Samus v Pikachu because my friend plays him and I have a lot of experience with that matchup. You need to jolt a lot, yes. Samus will camp you pretty hard, but if she's on stage, you need to get inside her to get some combos in. If she is planking, don't challenge her on the ledge. Just go to the other side of the stage and jolt her. If you go near the ledge, she will probably jump up and do a retreating fair to poke through your shield. Even if the first one doesn't work, she will just do another one. This method for her is pretty safe. She can also drop back and missile or zair from the ledge, which is why you should just back off and let her have the darn thing. You can try to send thunder at the ledge, but that won't always work. Samus is a true annoyance to play against, but she's still susceptible to most of Pikachu's combos.

If Samus is short hopping a lot and using missiles or something, she is probably trying to bait you to come over and get hit by a few of her dairs into the ground. Don't fall for it. Missiles are actually usually used for baiting. I don't see them as good for much else. She might also be baiting you to leave yourself open for a fully charged shot. Like, if you shield too many of the missiles, your shield will be low for the charged shot. Don't forget that you can just ftilt or jump around missiles if you need to.

Oh yeah, she will also up B out of shield if she sees you miss something like a grab up close. It's like her gtfo move. Think of it kind of the same way you think of dolphin slash for Marth.

Nice kill at the end of the first match btw.

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom