• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

bigman40

Smash Master
For Kaylo: (you on lylat vs squall)

I wanted to stay away from giving MU knowledge since I give critiques via general gameplay, but w/e.

Use more Uair. It's tiny enough to hit him without blowing up the nades. Or just space moves so that it doesn't blow up the nade.

Don't be scared of grenades. Being scared to approach cause of his grenades will just hinder yourself much more than need to, and don't forget that you have port priority.

Use your thunders in better areas.....And start DIing if you miss your attack. Dying from Snake's Bair at that low percents is not acceptable.

You have the same problem I have (though, I've been getting help on breaking it now). Don't airdodge towards them then do a move almost every time. They'll just wait for you to airdodge and then you'll get hit really easily. Don't force your approach, and if you are looking like you're going to be in a bad spot, then move away.

If you're gonna QA to avoid the mine, then don't go straight down right by someone that's ready to punish. That's just asking to get hurt.

Poor decision. You could've just D-throw CG instead of doing another F-throw on your last stock. You have to look at what would've brought you back closer to even. And you had port priority, so you didn't need to worry about the nades as much.

For Arkie:

DI man. Work on it more. You can do this: if you miss an attack, then start anticipating to DI.

For GW, if you end up filling his bucket, then go ahead and Tjolt until he lets it go.

OoS options....They are magnificent. (such as Usmash OoS on GW's second stock when you PSed his Dair).

If you're in a bad situation, then get out of it. Don't try to force moves to happen when you have no momentum to make it happen. It caused you a stock. Going for the ledge and trying to reset the field helps. (resetting the field is very important!).

When you double jump, you're making your landing area fairly track-able. If you have to use your DJ, use it to get away, or use it less for your purposes (just use Full Hops for that purpose).

Pikachu can't fight people (not meaning everyone) dead on in a straight forward manner. Pika is quick, use that to get into tight areas and punish with quick moves that chip damage. That way, you risk getting hit less.

React quicker. If you see someone in a spot you know you can punish them, then don't hesitate. against the ike in the beginning, you could've grabbed him, but you sat there waiting for him to hit your shield.

Don't FF Dair soo much (for that matter, don't Dair that recklessly. It's slow, and better for punishing after the opponent uses a move or if you predict their move before it). good players will punish that a lot more than some of the players you played against.

Use thunder more wisely and not as reckless. (example is MK wrecking you out of all the times you used it)

Same for you, use more Uair. It's a good punishing move imo.

Stop ****ing up CGs. Buffer them and remember the percents some of them can get out using footstools.

You've done the same ledge option for the majority of your matches (even in the old ones). Mix it up. Ledge attacking all the time will get you *** ***** by better players.

Work on your spacing more. You're still ignoring all spacing when you do approach with something other than QA.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I agree with everything that Bigman said, and I want to emphasize something.

Almost every single time you QACed you went perpendicularly down. It was very predictable. If you love QACing as much as I do, then I know I can't convince you to stop using it aggressively. However, you should not use it as much as you are, and you need to be less predictable with it.

Also, you seem to be going after the same combos over and over. Combos are good, but they can be predictable and avoidable if you use them too much.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Thanks, Biggy! I'll keep all that in mind.

Somebody watch one of mine not vs. Squall's Snake tho plz....... x.x I play differently from match to match!

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, Biggy! I'll keep all that in mind.

Somebody watch one of mine not vs. Squall's Snake tho plz....... x.x I play differently from match to match!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFiLgHNaElg

did really good in the beginning, if you feel like you can't hold that momentum much longer then don't force the next move. reset the field.
1:25 why fsmash?
1:28 i don't think you should QA near lucario. he can react without prediction and hit you out of the QA.
2:09 you coulda survived that fsmash with correct DI and momentum canceling.
2:18 this is a good stage form for lucario. don't let him get you against the wall. i suggest running away until the transformation
high damage > tjolt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkUQrlEAUmQ
0:08 I'm not sure about this but i think you may have been able to continue that with a fair.
0:14 utilt? dsmash? not fsmash.
0:29 coulda done some serious punishment.
0:44 again. coulda done more then dash attack.
0:49 ...
1:13 bair kinda drags people in but not enough for that to work. don't jump with it or use another move.
2:32 !
good di and momentum canceling.
that toon link was pretty good at the last stock.

BOXINGKING

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BOXINGKING
Bking VS Anakin Marth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfSV6YkllNM

This will be the last video i upload for quite some time... and its against a good marth.

As fellow pikachu mainers.. you all must no that marth is a pain... one of pikas most annoying match-ups.

I would love to hear some of your opinions on this match.. and also ur opinion on marth in general.

who is the hardest matchup for pikachu for the american pikas on this site? marth?mk?snake?

Prime post this wen u have time.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Marth is the hardest imo (a little worse than 40:60 if I had to put a ratio on it). He can psuedo-wall Pika with fair..... pshielding or REALLY good reads -- preferably both -- are a necessity in the MU. It's a matchup where reading the player is much, much more important than just playing the character imo (which is true for all of Brawl but especially in MUs as technically disadvantaged as this one).

EDIT: Is it just me, or does that Marth's sword look longer than usual? o.O I must be hallucinating......

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Marth, Lucario and MK are our hardest MUs imo.
You were chaingrabbing the snake way too slow when you were F-throwing him in the 2nd match. He could've grenaded out of it no problem.
Uh I know that you replied to my vid like a week ago or something but is there anything else I could have done differently? Any other mistekes you see or thing you dont like?
My vids are above the quoted post.

I'll watch some vids and give my input later.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I have a much easier time vs. MK than I do vs. Marth. x.x And I have experience vs. both (although better MK experience).

Maybe it's because all MKs play more or less the same, but I just..... don't find him that overwhelming. Marth is just a complete ****.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I don't think there are many people Pikachu has trouble recovering against in this game; however, I believe Marth is one of those people. That makes him all the more annoying. He can also dolphin slash out of I think any FF fair combo that Pikachu has. Is he our hardest matchup? I don't know. He's definitely up there though. MK could be harder because he isn't as easily gimped as Marth, but MK can also be chaingrabbed.

As far as your match goes Bking, I really don't feel like I'm in a position to critique you. All I know to say is try to avoid grabs more when you are at 0%. Every Marth I have ever played always goes for a grab when I am at 0%. Other than that, I think you had great prediction and mindgames, which is really what this matchup calls for.

BOXINGKING

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BOXINGKING
i actually think falco is my worst match-up. cause the lasers and his cgs mess my playstyle up big time. without the pika cg alot if pikachu mainers would have a tough time beating highlevel falcos (the best one ive played is a guy called Kasper aka kira his falco is just as good as sk92 imo). what do you guys think on the falco match-up?

I want to be critiqued.. belive it or not.. i dont play brawl... the matches you see me uploading are recorded a while back. i brawl mayb 1ce every 2 months so id like to know what i do wrong in matches cause most of the time im just rusty and I make stupid mistakes.

Kaylo you have a nice pikachu! i think that was the first time ive seen ur pika in action! in the toonlink match mayb you should have jolted like pikapika jolted against that toonlink in his match... because it will lead to some mistakes by the opponent.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I don't think there are many people Pikachu has trouble recovering against in this game; however, I believe Marth is one of those people. That makes him all the more annoying. He can also dolphin slash out of I think any FF fair combo that Pikachu has.
MK can shuttle loop anything Marth can DS cause shuttle loop has the same properties except less punishable.

Really.. anything Marth can do, MK can do it better....

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Not true at all Ussi. DS's IFs start on frame 1, while SL IFs start on frame 5. Sort of a big difference there.

King~

Smash Champion
marths a bad character, my 2 cents

(dammit)

i personally think ICs is pikas hardest, feels like im trying so much harder than the ICs players.

or maybe MK but all my MK refrence comes from ******** good mks recently, probly just not understanding enough to get it*shrug*

@above: hmph seems ive been misinformed, this one mk told me frame 1 of ground shuttle loop was invincible, not that it would matter though(thinking of a diffrent situation i think)

just felt like posting

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@above: hmph seems ive been misinformed, this one mk told me frame 1 of ground shuttle loop was invincible, not that it would matter though(thinking of a diffrent situation i think)
Not according to their frame data.

Marth's only a bad character because of MK. Like DDD. And god knows how many other characters. But that has nothing to do with him being good or bad against Pika.

King~

Smash Champion
i watched esam kill chaz with a t-jolt at MLG, marths bad, he wins the MU but he still a bad character.

meh ill ask him about next time i go out then, he can probly explain or something

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Marth's recovery isn't bad. He can DB stall and his DS is a decent vertical recovery tool. The uncharged sheild breaker can give him a good horizontal boost when recovering from up high. Just because Pikachu can gimp him with Tjolt(only after he's used his second jump and DB stall) doesn't mean his recovery is bad. We Pikachu's may enjoy one of the best recoverys in the game but that doesn't mean other recoverys are THAT bad.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I saw a Link recover from a Diddy spike at like 150% the other day, so I don't think anyone's recovery is bad anymore O.o

If you're wondering how that's possible, he teched the wall and used up B. It was amazing.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Kaylo you have a nice pikachu! i think that was the first time ive seen ur pika in action! in the toonlink match mayb you should have jolted like pikapika jolted against that toonlink in his match... because it will lead to some mistakes by the opponent.
Forgot to reply to this..... thanks, BKING! I agree with the jolting more thing..... I really should camp more in all of my MUs. :urg:

Your Pika's looking good too, especially considering you don't play as often anymore. Really nice predictions on that Marth.

EDIT: Also, @Arikie: Ty for taking the time to look at my vids! I appreciate the critique. <3 I'll keep everything you said in mind.

Roller

Smash Legend
So I don't have a lot of time right now but I will definitely offer some pointers after this nonstop weekend of videogames a couple of my friends invited me to. Should be pretty sick.

The main reason I'm posting however is to commend everybody for helping to turn the trend around. A lot more feedback is being given per vid now than the past few months. Great initiative guys. =)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
A few things, more about your lack of MU knowledge than your Pika itself.

You can never get a follow up from a D-throw unless there is a rising platform. She can Down-b out of it. However, you can F-throw CG her to 47% from 0, and finish with a U-smash (You have to buffer the run, and the U-smash's timing is hard as hell). You can punish her Down-b Kick with F-smash. You should be keeping track of her DJ as well as Down-b, and don't grab the ledge preemptively. ZSS can **** you up pretty badly if you do (Forward-B stage spike, Down-B Spike...its not pretty). F-smash is a better killer in this match than U-smash, as is U-tilt. ZSS's air mobility isnt' the greatest, so stick a thunder between her legs and you **** her. Also, running to the ledge against her isn't good when she is on the level. Getting back can be a pain in the balls.

For Pikachu I have no real criticisms because to me it seemed like lack of MU exp.

bigman40

Smash Master
A few things, more about your lack of MU knowledge than your Pika itself.

For Pikachu I have no real criticisms because to me it seemed like lack of MU exp.
That's pretty much what I need now. I get to play a few matchups, but I never know what to do in those MUs.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I couldn't watch all of the second or third match, but I noticed a few times when ZSS sent you up and went to hit in the air, you used your jump to get out of the way a lot. That was good, but I noticed you were only over a little bit to the side and if they saw that coming, then they could just go back down and line up something better. Maybe move a bit more out of the way if you can?
Of course, I've got no idea because I've never really played one, but I make it my top priority to get one of the suit peices off the stage and then control the other two. Great sheilding at the beginning!
I'm not so good at this criteque thing. I'm probably wrong on some places, huh? lol great matches overall.

EDIT: Computer loaded the second match while I wasn't looking.
Be careful on the edge! Looks like it hurt when you traded hits.
Maybe a U-throw to mix it up? How good can ZSS defend from the bottom in the air? If you chase, airdodge a possible dair, then punish the lag, or simply throw a thunder out there.

PZ

Smash Lord
First of all I like to say the overall look of the matches. 1st match was some good reading on your part. 2nd match and 3rd match you went pretty random. Actually critique here it is:

I notice that you tried to SH fair your ZSS as a approach which as usaul you will trade hit hits unless ZSS was on the ground then sometimes. I like how you used a attack and dash attack a few times. If you want to start a juggle I suggest a full uair. ESAM is right you really didnt know the MU that well but around the 3rd match you learned a little. DIng ZSS's side b vertically is bad also know the lag of that move cuz you shield it and ate another attack but iit being spaced I think you might've had a problem anyway. At the beginning of the 1st you tried to camp ZSS while she still had her parts but you could've used them against her or get rid of them.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
this marth was tons of fun to fight. i had some issues with being to agro i think but please tell me what i shld do in the future!

Forever Zero (pika) vs Mello (marth) (it says falconv1 but its me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A72spakB1jA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6AaFco8-hA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rusUzRoAYds

and then heres one of a kirby, his kirby kinda sucked tho dunno what u have to say here....

Forever Zero (pika) v Falconv1 (kirby)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVSRHL62NVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOq147seH5U

Top Bottom