• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volt Tackle Videos: Replay Archive + Critique Thread

BOXINGKING

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BOXINGKING
Me vs A MK which was recorded in April but only uploaded today:
Natrally in europe theirs only 1 mk that is as good as the usa ones.. for a strange reason none of the top european players use MK.

Bking vs mk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3HRJDXG38k

Critique were its neeeded.. one of my flaws in some of my matches were poor recovery choices.. instead of qac'n bk on stage I "side B" which I did time and time again. Also i was using down air way to much.
silly me.. :(

Tell me wat ur fink.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Boxingking: Izaw (link) & MK vs Bking (pikachu & Luigi) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3HRJDXG38k

@0:18 I don't know why you decided to skull bash, lol, but it seems pretty random. Missed the tjolt?

@0:37 you ran up and did a retreating SH dair. I would try instead, run up then retreating full hop tjolt. That's at least something to mix it up with. If they try to block your approach with a fair, they run the chance of eating a tjolt. Do that enough and they'll either start second guessing them selves, or sheild more when you're running at them. Which is good for you.

@1:10 This is something I do too much as well. You tried to finish a good combo with a thunder, that they really have to be stupid to hit. Good players are simply not going to run into that. In that place you were in a perfect position to QA grab the edge. It's quick enough that it might take them off guard, you might get a nair in for free. At the very least it puts more pressure on him than a thunder that he doesn't have to move to avoid.

@2:39 You just recovered, and I know mk grabbed the edge after you started your jump, but that would have been a good time for a thunder, I think.

@2:54 Mk just landed on the platform. I know it's mk, but I use bair for every situation where people are on platforms above me. Even if it doesn't poke, or knock them off the edge, it puts a lot of shield pressure out. Of course it's mk, so he can just jump and dair.

@3:48 At 29% I think you can start to d-throw chain mk, I'm not sure though.

Over all: There were some instances where you went through him and knew which side you were gonna finish on. Screw with people, keep going through him til he's looking the wrong way, then jump, see if he's gonna do a tornado. If he doesn't, go through him again, aha. If you jump and they use tornado, just QA to a side of the stage. If he tries to follow you, you should either shield or go to the edge. Shield is preferable. If he hits your shield, you will have enough shield to deal with it.

...I'm just throwing out random ideers here. Keep in mind you're better than me.

Second match

@5:32 link missed a upsmash, you had a free upB, lulz.

*Cam*
Spade (Marth) vs Cam (Pikachu) 5/25/10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqn3VREmJ8Y

You seem to do pretty well in this matchup when you get on a roll. The only advice I can think of is when you are getting beaten around, try and pull back to just outside his range and wait for him to swing his sword, then approach with a bair... horrible unorthodox, but it they won't be expecting it.

@2:33 Marth finished a DB and didn't hit you. Instead of staling your nair, try back throwing and edge guarding. Or anything that doesn't stale a kill move. Reverse f-tilt may have worked. He would have DI'd wrong, too.

Very nice use of the claw @ 2:44, haha. I wouldn't have thought of that.

@3:14 You grabbed marth by the edge, and up threw him. He was DI'ing toward the stage, so if you had have down thrown, you probably could have gotten off a nair or a upair>nair.

Arikie: Arikie(pikachu) vs Sean(mk) MMs 2.mp4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YHCUUD2e9o

@0:59 Dash attack.

@1:17 You had the lead. You don't have to approach until he successfully kills you and then gains the lead. You should do everything in your power to stop him from touching one once you get the first kill. Tjolts, dtilt (is safer than ftilt), QA away, just don't let him touch you while you get in tiny little bits of damage. If he puts himself in any position to be grabbed, take advantage.
... you did a pretty nice job of taking the lead once you came back in though.

Once you get the lead though, you start doing things like this: @1:59 You missed the upsmash after you hit him with a tjolt. (btw, it looks like that was perfect range to QAC>nair)

@2:07 He knows you're going to try and land on the stage, so mix up recoveries with skull bash to the ledge.

@2:13 WTF. That's not supposed to do that, lmao.

@2:28 It goes against instinct, but DI out, aha.

That last stock, I don't know how to help you, haha. You were hitting his shield. Don't. Mix up slow falled fairs with fast falled airdodge>grabs. Don't just fast fall from the height of your jump, ff at a little over half way down, so he doesn't have time to react. Depending on his reaction time: say for example if he has about a .200 second reaction time, you take 60*.2=12. That means you want to start airdodging less than 12 frames before you want to have him grabbed.

... the key with this is too get the grab quicker than an mk, who assumes you're going to fast fall(or better, slow fall) a fair, and then buffers a grab.
I don't know if that makes sense, lol. If you're confused, ask me, and I'll try an explain it better.

I'll get some of ESAM's and Bigman's videos later. That's a lot of videos, aha.

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
BOXINGKING;10592589 Arikie Ur matches were more engaging to watch because the quality of opposition is better when compared to the matches last week. Some of ur techniques never worked on seans mk wen compared to the matches i saw last week. All I have to say to you is keep playing quality players because ur pika will become better nd better especially wen it comes to spacing nd decision making. ur losing now but u might start succedding in the near future. [/QUOTE said:
thanks, I will be getting better and soon i'll have videos to impress rather then distress >=)

Roller

Smash Legend
Arikie, only watched the 1st vid so far. But I'd say the only real problem you had against him was him predicting your QACs. He ***** you when you used it. Now, I'm all in favor of using a decent amount of qac, but you were doing it a little too predictably, and he was reading you well. When you see that he's able to punish it like that consistently I would recommend only using it in safe situations to recover (in a smart fashion) or retreat.

Besides getting punished for qac, you did really well that game. Keep it up. =)

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Clearly I don't need critiquing.
Just finished watching both vs Marth. I can see a couple reasons why you might not be getting any critiques (aside from general laziness):

1. You play with your food too much.

Seems to me that you're significantly better than the Marth player (how do you land that many skullbashes otherwise?). The only reason I can guess as to why you lost round two is because you goofed around too much rather than just beating the stuffing out of him.

2. My poor eardrums.

The "music" (especially for round one) is making watching them multiple times not a fun proposition. This is especially problematic because your playstyle is quite a bit different from others, so it'll take even more views than normal for me to be able to propose anything.
    Yes I realize I could just mute it, but I'd like to have the actual attack sounds to aid me in understanding what's happening. Not to mention this point is largely for lulz anyway so it should not be taken seriously.
I do love the skullbashes though (even though the sheer quantity makes it appear to be sandbagging), and would love to hear the reasoning why you chose to use them as you did.

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
Arikie: Arikie(pikachu) vs Sean(mk) MMs 2.mp4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YHCUUD2e9o

@0:59 Dash attack.

@1:17 You had the lead. You don't have to approach until he successfully kills you and then gains the lead. You should do everything in your power to stop him from touching one once you get the first kill. Tjolts, dtilt (is safer than ftilt), QA away, just don't let him touch you while you get in tiny little bits of damage. If he puts himself in any position to be grabbed, take advantage.
... you did a pretty nice job of taking the lead once you came back in though.

Once you get the lead though, you start doing things like this: @1:59 You missed the upsmash after you hit him with a tjolt. (btw, it looks like that was perfect range to QAC>nair)

@2:07 He knows you're going to try and land on the stage, so mix up recoveries with skull bash to the ledge.

@2:13 WTF. That's not supposed to do that, lmao.

@2:28 It goes against instinct, but DI out, aha.

That last stock, I don't know how to help you, haha. You were hitting his shield. Don't. Mix up slow falled fairs with fast falled airdodge>grabs. Don't just fast fall from the height of your jump, ff at a little over half way down, so he doesn't have time to react. Depending on his reaction time: say for example if he has about a .200 second reaction time, you take 60*.2=12. That means you want to start airdodging less than 12 frames before you want to have him grabbed.

... the key with this is too get the grab quicker than an mk, who assumes you're going to fast fall(or better, slow fall) a fair, and then buffers a grab.
I don't know if that makes sense, lol. If you're confused, ask me, and I'll try an explain it better.

THanks, I think I understand what you're saying. about the fast/slowfall airdodge to grab stuff.

BOXINGKING

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BOXINGKING
thanks, I will be getting better and soon i'll have videos to impress rather then distress >=)
Oh, but you already impress.. ur pikachu is very charismatic! Its just my general opinion that if you have a chance to play really good players you should take it. is pika ur main?

bking vs MK

oh and on my match. Its kind of my fault..i find it frustrating to watch my own uploads because I know I can do way better.. ..but it’s just that I will play brawl for 2 days straight.. then not play for 2 months… then come back. When I do this i start doing these silly pikachu "habbits" where i will make poor recovery decisions or in general do silly things at the wrong time.

Another thing is that I dont live near alot of smash players... how about u guys do u all live close to each other at all? America is a big place so im guessing not.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
My brother is Nick Riddle and I live 10 minutes walking from Seibrik. My whole crew is no farther than 25 minutes away by car. Yay Miami!

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
Oh, but you already impress.. ur pikachu is very charismatic! Its just my general opinion that if you have a chance to play really good players you should take it. is pika ur main?

bking vs MK

oh and on my match. Its kind of my fault..i find it frustrating to watch my own uploads because I know I can do way better.. ..but it’s just that I will play brawl for 2 days straight.. then not play for 2 months… then come back. When I do this i start doing these silly pikachu "habbits" where i will make poor recovery decisions or in general do silly things at the wrong time.

Another thing is that I dont live near alot of smash players... how about u guys do u all live close to each other at all? America is a big place so im guessing not.
I'm right across town from roller, we don''t smash often though, it's a shame.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
My crew lives within the same few blocks, lol! Literally, besides a few of us, I can walk to all their houses. The other major PA crew is a little more spread out, but since we're both based in the Philly area, there's plenty of public transportation. Jersey's only an hour (or less) or two away depending on whether it's north or south, and NYC is ~2 hours away.

Not gonna lie, if I lived in the boondocks like a lot of rural/suburban players, I would've given up a long time ago.

Roller

Smash Legend
When I'm at home in NJ... Not really. Like MXXD said, he's close. But not many others.

When I'm at school in MI there are quite a few people in town/within 10 min.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yall are lucky. kansas has some good players, but they are concentrated in to cities 3 hours apart. thats basically the mw:w, there are smash centers every 3-4 hours apart with not too many in each

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
DLA:
Match 1-Pit: Make sure you have space in between you and your opponent before you t-jolt. And be careful what you use after your ff fair, it was kinda useless to F-smash after it. Killing pit is an entirely different game to me, all it takes is getting them down low to use their up-b and I go nuts. Mostly with u-air because it's fast, but sometimes I will try to QA directly through them to stop the flying. And, it didn't seem like he knew to DI dsmash, take big advantage of that. Beautiful kills, btw

Match 2-Wario: I can't say much, both Wario and BF are things I personally hate and can't deal with too much. Grab moar! Don't destroy the bike.

Match 3-ROB:Great match, just watch out being predictable on recovery. Also, a fun thing to do is to steal his gyromite and camp him really hard. And GRAB!

Match 4-Sonic:And DLA said, let there be grabs! Lol, I loved that second stock you took off him A LOT. I don't have a lot of sonic experience, but it almost seemed useless to run away much because he can catch up easy. Facing a sonic that loves the spring? Thunder!

Overall: IMO work on your offstage game, both offensive and defensive. Thunder really works wonders, and remember, be crazy with the QA and go weird ways. Be careful using Skull Bash to get back, only use it when you are really far away or definitely going to the edge. Incorporate Bair, Dair, and a few more throws and tilts and it's good!

Thanks, I appreciate the critique... all of these matches were from the first day that I started using Pika, so I was kinda just looking for a general evaluation on how I was doing... I've been playing him a lot more and I've definitely gotten a better feel for him. I'll be posting a new set of videos that will be better and hopefully more fun to watch.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
****it kenny why do i love ur pika so much? ur using sb to much but its ****ing hillarious every match was more entertaining than watching anther play imo

BOXINGKING

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BOXINGKING
since this is a pika video thread........Here is a prime example of what happends when u dont play brawl.

Watch this..

Bking vs staco 09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qprOr2_wxJI&feature=related

I just watched this match.. nd I realise that i was better at brawl in 2009 than I am in june 2010.

i can only play vs human players mayb 1 time every couple of months now :(

do u guys smash everyday against good players ? or do you have to wait weeks?days?months to play high level players? i know esam has his brother... but what about the rest of u?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Like I said a bit earlier, almost my entire crew lives within walking distance of each other, so we usually play a few times a week...... sometimes more, sometimes less. (We've gone almost two weeks without practice before, and we've had weeks where we play nearly everyday.)

For us, Smash is more or less a reason for us to hang out, so half the time we're drinking or doing random FFA mms or what have you..... it's not always serious practice lol.

If we lived farther apart, I probably wouldn't be competitive at all. But having state PR'd people around for practice whenever I want definitely helps. Granted I still suck, but without them, I'd be complete garbage since I'm not willing to travel too far for Brawl. ;;

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Crushed under my hatred for public transportation.

EDIT: Omg Smashboards. -___________-

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I want to get my Pika critiqued. I just started seconding her recently. These are the most recent matches I have recorded.

Match 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-d6kFbiMuI

Match 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feUeksdeqWc

Match 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRet19EqSU4

Match 2 is probably the closest thing to my "A-game" with Pika.
These matches are on FD if you can't tell. That's just my personal FD skin. It's collision data, boundary data, and effect data are FD's.

Anyway, I know I do some stupid/reckless stuff with Pika, but I really want to know how I can improve. I'll get some matches against more characters up when I can.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Hey guys, got a new batch of videos... the last ones I posted were from my first day of playing Pikachu (except for a bit of wifi), so they weren't great.

Now that I've gotten a few weeks to practice, I can confidently say I'm a lot better. Most of these vids are against Ook, the DK who's ranked #4 in IL (some of you may know him as the DK who knocked out MikeHAZE in MLG). He was beating in the majority of the matches at the beginning of the day, but I learned the matchup really well and I ended up beating him most of the games by the end of the night.

Anyways, fighting Ook is always very fun, and I made sure to pick the vids that would be the most fun to watch (we played a LOT of matches).

I also included a match with Quik's Mario (he's ranked #3 in IL, mains Wario)... just in case you get tired of watching Pika vs. DK (you probably won't ;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RsmLdwY9G0 (2 friendlies with Ook)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJJHq1cn1zM (3 more friendlies with Ook)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6QH3AZO3MA (Friendly with Quik)

Also, these are the matches I posted about a month ago if you want to see how much better I've gotten.

previous videos

Thanks for the critiques guys :)

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Katakiri-
Match 1-Watch out how you use the QA, maybe not use it so much until you practice it more. Also, work on T-jolts, and what percentages you can grab at. Don't try to force a grab, or a kill move. Just let it happen, and let them make the mistakes. Tilt a bit more, then fast fall your F-air. Be more confident in the approach, too. I noticed you get about mid-distance and try to back off. You should try to stay close up, or far away. And one last thing, skull bash to recover. ONLY do it if you are far away and have no risk of getting hit/stuck under the stage.
Match 2-VERY nice match. Not much more to say than what I just have. "They're using the thunder as armor!"
Match 3-I noticed you should work on getting back on stage, too. I saw the same angle of getting back from the ledge, so be careful of that.

Check the directory (something I need to update, I'm doing a small update tonight to get more information.) and it can show you a lot of important things on using pikachu.

DLA-Watching the videos right now!
Match 1-I see improvement! But be careful about using the QA and other things to leave yourself open to big moves like F-smash and the DK punch. Play a little more campy(tough as it is on BF to do) and it will be great. Also, watch using too much d-smash, it wasn't WAY too much, but I noticed it was used quite a bit.
Match 2-Definitely be careful not to spam D-smash. Nice save when he tried to throw you against the stage.
Video 2 gave me an error message. As did video 3. I will try to check them later.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
First match from what I can tell before you missed that first thunder...

Why are you rushing in? Luigi is a character that will destroy you at higher level play if you rush in. Literally you should have 3 things in mind. T-jolt when he is far. D-tilt when he is closer, shield when he is in the air. That is it. Play as campy as you can, play as gay as you can. Once Luigi is in, its over. The Luigi wasn't that good, I didn't see him go for many jab mix-ups, and he was also really bad at punishing the skull bashes you were doing (P-shield to down angled F-smash would do the trick). But yeah, don't approach. EVER. If you are winning, camp. You will hit him eventually.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
First match from what I can tell before you missed that first thunder...

Why are you rushing in? Luigi is a character that will destroy you at higher level play if you rush in. Literally you should have 3 things in mind. T-jolt when he is far. D-tilt when he is closer, shield when he is in the air. That is it. Play as campy as you can, play as gay as you can. Once Luigi is in, its over. The Luigi wasn't that good, I didn't see him go for many jab mix-ups, and he was also really bad at punishing the skull bashes you were doing (P-shield to down angled F-smash would do the trick). But yeah, don't approach. EVER. If you are winning, camp. You will hit him eventually.
i was trying to space more that match but i guess i wasnt spacing enough lol. yeah ill camp harder in the future v this mu, i was just trying to eliminte some of my bad habits by using my tilts alot more. but thanks for the help

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Ok, got the vids to work for me.
DLA-
Match 1-The ledge is your friend! But instead you jumped up and landed in that F-smash to lose the first stock. Also, incorporate more tilts and try not to force kill moves. Be careful of using skull bash so close to the stage, especially when it is almost always much easier to jump out of the way of his D-air.
Such an epic comeback at his last stock, only to be taken out by that one move.
Match 2-Maybe cut down on the QAC some. And cut out some D-smash too.
Match 3-In all reality, maybe you should cut down on smashes in general. You wore them out and I saw that preventing you from getting a kill multiple times so far.
Match 4-Alongside what I said earlier, you also have to be careful fighting Mario. Getting in the air at a low percent and his cape are both no good.

FZ-
Match 1-Pretty much what ESAM said, without the whole "being ESAM" part. But that video was mildly irritating to watch. As awesome as the textures were, it was kinda tough to see at some times. Shiny Latichu :)
Match 2-EPIC TEXTURES AGAIN. But you should avoid being repetitive, the U-smash>thunder didn't work, so try something else if it fails.
Match 3-Just see above. I really can't think of anything else to add but good job!

And someone should look at my vids, or at least have this place updated to add them to the OP. I finally get something and nobody wants to critique anymore. :(

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I actually don't use Dsmash nearly as much most of the time... I was just experimenting with it that night to see how well it punishes in comparison to Pika's other moves. Not that well apparently, especially if you're fighting someone who knows how to punish it if they shield it. So yeah I largely abandoned it after that night.

Also, during the first stock of the first match, I thought I would snap to the ledge, but instead I completely missed and jumped right past it, and then got smeared by an Fsmash lol. That was probably my stupidest moment of the night--I just included it because I really liked the last stock :p

Thanks for the critiques though, I very much appreciate it

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
thanks leaf

yeah the reason i did usmash thunder twice was cuz it was safe imo. it didnt kill but it def cld have had i baited the dodge, its just since i wasnt gonna ge punished i didnt care if it missed or not. idk thats kinda how ive always played: low risk moves, low payoff.

Top Bottom