• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vlade's Dazzle DVC 170 Guide (Applies to Any Dazzle of Model Number 100 +)

Vlade

Social Outcast
im having problems on the step where we compress using Divx codec

it doesnt show up even though i have the CCCP installed. neither does the LameMp3 option >.>
If that's the case, just install the DivX and Lame Mp3 codecs manually. Here are the sites:

http://lame.sourceforge.net/
http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/codec-pack

When compressing videos you don't have to follow my steps but I recommend my steps since they make for a good balance between quality and filesize.

Someone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee help me... I have dazzle dvc 100, and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Now it rarely works.... for example, I see the preivew but it stops after like a a minute or so and then I don't know if it is recording or not. I am using vlade's settings, and selected NTSC standard but to no avail.. Also if it does record for longer than 3 minutes, then it drops frames... WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I am so mad, I paid 50 bucks for this bull****. it is not my computer trust me.. as far as specs go... I have a 2.50 core 2 duo processer.
Are you connecting directly to A/V out port or are you using Y-Adapters?
Are you running Windows XP?

Perhaps try plugging the dazzle into different USB ports? I've heard that sometimes works when the computer isn't recognising it properly.

Unofortunately there's not much else I can really think of at the moment to solve this :S

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
I am on Windows 7 and I am connected directly to the A/V out port using 3 splitters. I will try the different USB port....

So you have nothing else? O comon someone has gotta help me here..

FoxoF

Smash Cadet
Hi guys,

Had a question, knew you guys are easily the best people to ask. Was thinking of buying:

http://www.blueunplugged.com/USB-Video-Capture-VHS-DVD.aspx

Wondering how it compares to dazzle (even if you havent had personal experience with this model, general advice would help too). Will be connecting my GameCube via composite.

Much cheaper than dazzle, but I dont want to sacrifice much qualtiy in the process.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Hey, that is an easy cap. One of my friends has one and it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. The video quality is usually ok at best, but sometimes it can be very poor (choppy lines etc), honestly you should get a dazzle. You can find good deals on dazzles on amazon, and hey it doesnt have to be the hd dazzle. The normal dazzle has great quality.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=99369

need help

I got a Dazzle DVC 100 this week, but my computer isn't good enough to handle it, apparently.

The Dazzle is a USB 2.0 HighSpeed-only device; but I only have USB 1.1 ports on this computer. I don't know if this matters too much, but still...

Anyway, when I opened Pinnacle Studios, it gives me a message saying I need to update my drivers (though this was to be expected before I got the Dazzle).

So I go to nvidia.com to download the installation (GeForce/ION Driver Release 260)

But when I begin to run the installation (NVIDIA Install) I get a message (under System Check) saying "Install cannot continue" and "This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

I'm aware I don't need Pinnacle Studios to capture my footage. I planned on using Sony Vegas 9 for my capturing plus editing after. When I go to capture my video (sony vegas capture 6.0), I get a message saying the device could not be opened. Obviously the Dazzle is on, and I don't believe it's being used by another app (got firefox/itunes/aim up atm). Tried bunch of **** to get it to work but nothing worked. I didn't get a preview at all.

I did get a preview using VirtualDub... but the preview is glitchy yet the screen did get captured. Also tried on AM Capture, still glitchy but the screen still got captured. I could see the Brawl menu but it's glitchy, basically.

In the end I probably need a new graphics card. But if I'm wrong or if there's an easier way, let me know please.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Geforce is graphics and shouldn't have anything to do with it. You can't have ION as it came long after USB 1.1 disappeared.
Also, USB 1.1 may just be too slow. Its max speed is 11Mbit/s, and because USB sucks, expect half of that.

What drivers does it want you to update? USB or the Dazzle?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
how old is your computer? if you really only have usb 1.1 it wont work, but usb 2.0 has been around for a very long time

TSDA

Smash Rookie
It gives me an error when opening the file on vdub.
"MPEG Import Filter: invalid pack at position 3: marker bit not set yet; possibly mpeg-2 stream"

Vlade

Social Outcast
It gives me an error when opening the file on vdub.
"MPEG Import Filter: invalid pack at position 3: marker bit not set yet; possibly mpeg-2 stream"
Have you installed the plugin as instructed in the guide?

hey ur the best vlade! changing usb ports worked.... IDK why, but it did. I guess the port i was using before was 1.1 and dazzle needs a 2.0 port idk?
Glad I could help :)

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
So last night I was putting some matches up, and today I wanted to mess around with capture settings to get better quality, but now every time I go to capture in Pinnacle 12 it freezes? Any suggestions?

Vlade

Social Outcast
So last night I was putting some matches up, and today I wanted to mess around with capture settings to get better quality, but now every time I go to capture in Pinnacle 12 it freezes? Any suggestions?
So what you mean is when you click "Start Capture" the program just freezes?

To be honest I can't really help here since I have no experience with studio 12 (still stuck with studio 10 heh) but what I suggest trying is to do the following:

Open the task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+delete
Go to the "Processes" tab and look for "Studio.exe" (it MAY be different for studio 12, if it is I'm sure it will be obvious which program is studio 12)
Right click on it and set the priority to "Real Time"

That will dedicate more processing power to studio 12 and hopefully fix the freezing. This is what I usually recommend when people have queries about dropped frames.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
It's possible. Everything else is just so you can see the image on your TV at the same time.
In fact, connecting directly might improve the quality slightly.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
So I made it to the very last part of the tutorial in the OP, and I hit 'save as AVI' and here's what it gives me:

"The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which is not compatible with AVI files. Direct stream copy cannot be used with this video stream."

Any suggestions?

Vlade

Social Outcast
So I made it to the very last part of the tutorial in the OP, and I hit 'save as AVI' and here's what it gives me:

"The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which is not compatible with AVI files. Direct stream copy cannot be used with this video stream."

Any suggestions?
Try changing it to "full processing mode" and then hit "save as AVI".

Master WGS

Smash Lord
So I have a Dazzle, but I get a lot of dropped frames/slowdown. Looked through the thread, and most said it has to do with your system/bitrate settings. Messing with the bitrate settings never seemed to fix it much, so is my computer just too weak to handle recording stuff?

I run Windows 7
3 GB RAM
64-bit OS
AMD E-350 Processor 1.60 GHz

I'm basically assuming that's the problem. Would something lower-end like the EasyCAP, though lower video quality, possibly work better, or is my computer just too crappy to ever make decent looking videos? :(

Vlade

Social Outcast
So I have a Dazzle, but I get a lot of dropped frames/slowdown. Looked through the thread, and most said it has to do with your system/bitrate settings. Messing with the bitrate settings never seemed to fix it much, so is my computer just too weak to handle recording stuff?

I run Windows 7
3 GB RAM
64-bit OS
AMD E-350 Processor 1.60 GHz

I'm basically assuming that's the problem. Would something lower-end like the EasyCAP, though lower video quality, possibly work better, or is my computer just too crappy to ever make decent looking videos? :(
In response to your question, have a go at this:

Open the task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+delete
Go to the "Processes" tab and look for "Studio.exe" (it MAY be different for studio 12, if it is I'm sure it will be obvious which program is studio 12)
Right click on it and set the priority to "Real Time"

That will dedicate more processing power to studio 12 and hopefully fix the freezing. This is what I usually recommend when people have queries about dropped frames.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
The E-350 is really weak, just slightly above Atom which is good only for typing and browsing without flash.

You can also open task manager by just right clicking the task bar, no need for ctrl+alt+del. There, check your CPU usage while recording. If it's close to 100%, setting it to real-time *might* help. If it's at 100%, you're screwed.
Try setting everything, resolution and bitrate, to minimum to see if your CPU can actually do anything, and if it can, move things up until it stops working.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
does anyone have good settings for using a dazzle dvc 100 with virtualdub? I bought mine used so it didn't come with studio

does anyone have good settings for using a dazzle dvc 100 with virtualdub? I bought mine used so it didn't come with studio
I have a Hauppauge USB-LIVE-2, so I don't know if there'd be any changes, but

I record with Lagarith video codec and LAME audio codec (256 kbp/s). It will take up a lot of space (Like 30GB per hour)

After recording, open your recording file in VirtualDub and compress it with Xvid codec, everything default settings but with bitrate at 1500

Also, go to filters and add a deinterlace filter. Pick either Yadif or ELA algorithm

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Just wanted to illustrate the various deinterlace options available on VDub...

Original Interlaced Source

Simple Field Duplication

Bob Algorithm

ELA Algorithm

Yadif Algorithm

Flayl

Smash Hero
What version of virtualdub are you using? the one I downloaded a year ago had split fields, duplicate, discard (or something equivalent) and blend. That was it. I used blend then used a sharpen filter.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
If I look at my VirtualDub, the ones not shown above are:
Blend: look at my screenshots below
Discard: Should be same as Duplicate, except result is 30fps instead of 60fps (not sure, just going by the name)

The Fold/Unfold shouldn't be used unless you know what you're doing. The right side is just settings for the ones to the left.

I'm too lazy to use VirtualDub so I used Avisynth instead. The blend filter is basically a vertical 1,2,1 kernel and can be simulated with the function mt_convolution("1", "1 2 1").
I also added Avisynth's top-tier interpolator, NNEDI3. Better deinterlacers are available (including the one I use), but they also need the previous frame for motion analysis, so I can't compare them. I only have access to the source image posted above.

Blend: (yes, it sucks, but it kinda works like a quick and dirty motion blur so it might work for Youtube's low 30fps)

NNEDI3:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
does anyone know what the highest quality setting for sony vegas rendering/importing should be, assuming the video is recorded at the highest pinnacle studio allows?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What version of virtualdub are you using? the one I downloaded a year ago had split fields, duplicate, discard (or something equivalent) and blend. That was it. I used blend then used a sharpen filter.
The latest one, 1.10 beta or whatever.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
can I install the dazzle disc muitple times on muiple computers? serious question.

Top Bottom