• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vlade's Dazzle DVC 170 Guide (Applies to Any Dazzle of Model Number 100 +)

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Check this thread, something tells me that has been answered before.

EDIT: It's on the OP.

EDIT 2: That was for compressing. Apologies for the inconvenience. Though I could have sworn I've seen virtual used to record. Hmmmm......

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I'm curious as to how you managed to get virtualdub to capture video from a dazzle, since as far as I know it is only possible to record footage with pinnacle studio.
The DVC100 doesn't restricts itself to studio. It doesn't encode on the hardware as far as I know so you'll need to do the encoding compression using vdub. It's slower but you have more control.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to ask for some advice. I recently uploaded a new batch of vids from a tournament. I didn't do any encoding. Instead I used the following settings:
- DIVX set to best quality (which is 4000 bitrate)

I then cut the vids using vdub set to direct stream copy. This way I didn't have to do any encoding. As a result I got the vids uploaded about 4/5 hours after the tournament happened. That's a big plus of course.

But the vids have ugly frame blending or something in them. It makes them hard to watch to me when you see a lot of motion.

I've been looking at filters in vdub that I might be able to use to remove the frame blending. But I haven't had much succes and they seem to take a long time to run (so I'll lose the time advantage I found). Is recording with a super high bitrate then encoding compressing afterwards really the only way to prevent this?

I'm not looking for super quality. Just quality that's decent enough.

Here's one of the vids to give a sample: Here

Thanks in advance.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Which filters have you tried? Have you at least given the 'deinterlace' filter a shot? I can't watch the video until tomorrow because I'm capped at the moment (stupid australian internet).

As for the Dazzle 100 and Vdub thing, I'm disappointed I got my hopes up :( Wanted to get my Dazzle DVC 170 working on Vdub :S Thanks for letting me know though.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I have yeah (only using the preview window though). It doesn't get rid of the double images one 1 frame. I'm curious what you'll say after you've seen the vid:p.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I got video working by plugging my Dazzle in and setting video input to the one with "DVC" in it. Doing the same for Audio doesn't work. I can capture video, and I suppose it'll work fine for my combo vid, but I'd like to actually record matches with sound without using the crappy Studio 14 program, which since I got my Dazzle used expires in 2 weeks. :/

And I know I have the sound hooked up properly, I can capture it with Studio 14.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
It's impossible to send uncompressed video through USB 2.0, there simply isn't enough bandwidth, so don't even try to look for ways to bypass the crappy hardware mpeg2 encoder.
Virtualdub might work with Dazzle, as it should be able to decode mpeg2, but for the reason above it won't improve the quality.

Also, because of the hardware encoder, a Dazzle might put both video and audio into the same stream that Virtualdub thinks is a "video stream", making it unable to find the audio stream.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Ahh.

Wasn't looking for quality. Just was looking for something that, y'know, doesn't expire in a couple of weeks.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Well you can just plug the audio cables into your computer's "line in" (with a <$1 adapter), Virtualdub should be able to use that as its audio input.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i just got Final Cut Express the other day and i saw an option that says "capture from device"

Does anyone know if i can record from dazzle using that option?

Yung Mei

i can't find a download for it online (no one cares for mac)

and i dont wanna spend money on it. do you know if i can select the quality for it?

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
i can't find a download for it online (no one cares for mac)

and i dont wanna spend money on it. do you know if i can select the quality for it?
If you have the mac Dazzle then all available downloads and drivers can be found here.

If they are giving you the run around on this, call their tech support line and give them hell until you get your version of Studio.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Sounds like something's wrong, unless you have a really slow CPU.
I know I use different software, and I have a Core i7 CPU, but it takes 20 minutes at insane quality and 40 seconds at "average" quality (what you guys all do) for a 5min video.

DJMirror

Smash Master
If you guys want to record, do this:

1)Get a used Pinnacle Dazzle for $20 to $45 on craiglist or amazon (for like used/refurish) A new one cost like 70 bucks to 100 bucks....If you're mac user good lucking finding it since they stop making it for the mac. If you do find it it'll cost you 100 bucks but don't worry get a used one and read the next step.

I don't think color matters much but I might be wrong.

2A)Get about 3 Audio Video Spiltters from Radioshack (those cost around 3 bucks each)

1 goes into the tv and 2 goes to the cable slots.

*This is how Alex19/Tai aka ATVSmash record*

or

2B) Get a Audio Video distribution amplifier (if you want good *** quality)

*This is how me and HMW do it*

3) You'll need 2 of these AV cables (you can go to Fry's or Radioshack for those normal ok ones) but you wanna get fancy you spend like 20 bucks for the good one.

These are regular ones

So you really don't have to spend like $150 to record matches, if you shop carefully you'll probably be spending like from $90 top to $40 the least.

You don't wanna be like me...Spending like 100 bucks (I'm an mac user and a dazzle for mac was like 100) I didn't know better back then but now I do.

For mac users: get the same stuff up there and there's site on pinnacle that you can download the video capture for mac software if you're an leopard or snow leopard user for free. If your mac OSX is not 10.5 or higher you're kinda screwed because the one for tiger and below is gone and it's really really really hard to look for if you're trying to pirate it. If you can't find it, tough luck but don't worry...

Another way (If you cant find pinnacle for mac or you're an tiger user or below) to do so is you can go to youtube look up videoglide (Video capture software for mac only) look it up and download it. There's alot of video tutorials on youtube for how to use PC Dazzle on Mac or How to use Videoglide on the mac.

Don't try to use your computer screen to play smash. There's a 3 second lag on it so you're better playing on the tv screen instead of the computer screen. It won't lag when you finish recording it tho.

hopefully this helps

Reposting since I post it for the melee players

here you guys go

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
My first night of serious recording with my new Dazzle Plus on Studio14... recorded 12 matches, and all but 3 were lost. :( After they were all recorded, I watched the saved video files and there was a ridiculous amount of dropped frames, which in turn led to desynched audio... and it would skip/speed up and slow down to the point where it was pretty much unwatchable.

Is it just my weak computer that's the problem? 1GB RAM and 1.66 gHz.

The 3 vids that were salvaged had no dropped frames, skipping, or audio desynching at all. They were pretty **** quality. ><

Vlade

Social Outcast
I think those specs should be fine, I use my dazzle with specs that are about the same and it runs without the problems you've mentioned.

Did you use the settings in this guide? Sure there wasn't anything you did differently with the 3 good vids? :p

Something to try out:

Open the task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+delete
Go to the "Processes" tab and look for "Studio.exe"
Right click on it and set the priority to "Real Time"

That will force the program to make full use of the cpu and RAM. Make absolutely sure that you DO NOT touch any of the other programs because it can mess things up.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
If that 1.66GHz is a Core2 or later, it should be fine. Even older CPUs might be OK.
If it's an Atom, it's too slow for pretty much anything that needs any kind of CPU power.

What is the CPU usage when recording?

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Thanks a ton, guys. Vlade, I'll deff try that out right now. Let you know the results asap.
& I'll have to check the usage as well, thanks. ^_^

As for the settings, the Import section of Studio14 doesn't really have half of those options, at least that I can find. I'm pretty tech-savy so either I'm just totally blind or Studio14 is lame. :(

&& The only thing the 3 vids had in common... was they were on Battlefield. o.O lmao.

Edit: There's no "Capture>Settings" that I can find. :(

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
&& The only thing the 3 vids had in common... was they were on Battlefield. o.O lmao.
Out of the neutral stages, Battlefield is the most compression friendly (needs less bitrate than others). That might just be the bitrate limit your CPU can handle =).
Pokefloats compresses even better.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Out of the neutral stages, Battlefield is the most compression friendly (needs less bitrate than others). That might just be the bitrate limit your CPU can handle =).
Pokefloats compresses even better.
Wowwww! lmfao. That's mad silly. Time to start CP'ing Floats I guess. :awesome:

X17the17th

Smash Cadet
@ajpanton
I imagine this must be, like, the 1452649814th time you're asked this, but how do you get your videos to have this insane quality ?
I know it's through video editing, but how exactly do you do it ?
Is there any kind of tutorial, or some instructions I could follow to learn how to do it myself ?

It goes without saying that your help on this would be much appreciated, as well as anyone else's of course.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
In 99% of the cases when I begin to help someone, they give up and never respond when they find out they have to give up using these big bloated programs with pretty UIs.
Maybe you can achieve something with those too, but I've never even had one of them on my computer, so if you want my help, it's going to be using Avisynth.

Also, I do pretty much everything manually, so my way is far from the easiest way.

You can contact me via MSN.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Alright well I got everything fixed, but...
the other night I forgot to restart my laptop before we recorded... so I got 5 teams sets, all with extremely laggy/skippy quality. :mad088:

They were epic matches, please tell me there's some way to restore them?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
My DAZZLE has worked just fine for about a year.

But the other day it happened:
The clips gets laggy, and I must wait longer than "12 secs" before I can stop recording.

Maybe I should try removing Pinnacle + re-install it?
Or maybe I should re-install Windows alltogether?

hot$

Smash Ace
Hello, I just bought a dazzle recently and my main problem is lag and just no smoothness. I am running it on a laptop with Windows 7 and a 1.7 ghz processor. And after scanning this thread, I believe that is the problem. I am looking for a new laptop currently since mine is a bit outdated. But I guess my question is, even with a basic laptop with say 2.2 ghz processor should be better? And also, maybe there are some other problems causing my lag.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

edit: now i'm blue screening everytime i go into my capture tab and try to record anything. Well before it even pulls all the way up it blue screens. =/

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Hello, I just bought a dazzle recently and my main problem is lag and just no smoothness. I am running it on a laptop with Windows 7 and a 1.7 ghz processor. And after scanning this thread, I believe that is the problem. I am looking for a new laptop currently since mine is a bit outdated. But I guess my question is, even with a basic laptop with say 2.2 ghz processor should be better? And also, maybe there are some other problems causing my lag.
****, sorry about the blue screening, that sucks. :/ If you can get past that...

Try running the process Import or Studio in Realtime, like Vlade said a page back... also the thing that fixed the lag for me was changing the capture from AVI or whatever to custom, and set quality to like minimum. My quality is at 5% and the videos still come out in pretty great quality. Not exactly HD or anything, but deff gets the job done. n_n

hot$

Smash Ace
****, sorry about the blue screening, that sucks. :/ If you can get past that...

Try running the process Import or Studio in Realtime, like Vlade said a page back... also the thing that fixed the lag for me was changing the capture from AVI or whatever to custom, and set quality to like minimum. My quality is at 5% and the videos still come out in pretty great quality. Not exactly HD or anything, but deff gets the job done. n_n
edit: i fixed my issues xD

hot$

Smash Ace
Question to anyone really, I'm buying a new laptop soon and most of them come with windows 64 bit. Does dazzle and the software work with 64 bit?
I feel like i've read it somewhere before, but i cannot find anything that says yes or no.

Yung Mei

im having problems on the step where we compress using Divx codec

it doesnt show up even though i have the CCCP installed. neither does the LameMp3 option >.>

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Someone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee help me... I have dazzle dvc 100, and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Now it rarely works.... for example, I see the preivew but it stops after like a a minute or so and then I don't know if it is recording or not. I am using vlade's settings, and selected NTSC standard but to no avail.. Also if it does record for longer than 3 minutes, then it drops frames... WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I am so mad, I paid 50 bucks for this bull****. it is not my computer trust me.. as far as specs go... I have a 2.50 core 2 duo processer.

Top Bottom