• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
I have a match between me and apple jelly the rob player from Florida. The match start at 2:41:00. I know i made a lot of executional errors in this match since a lot of the random rolling or egg rolls were suppose to be egg throw and pivot grabs. Let me know what you think.

http://www.twitch.tv/ecugaming/b/315743236

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
elev8: I've watched the first two games of your set against Kirby. The first game was quite sloppy, and I had a lot to say, especially since I like the Kirby MU and you were playing it quite awfully. Then you fixed nearly everything for game 2 and destroyed him. At least, his first two stocks.

Then you got greedy, antsy, or whatever, and you stopped doing what was working.

and you tried to fish the kill.

Your egg traps are solid. I'm loving it.

Your recovery needs work. You're trying too hard to pull reversals or be fancy while recovering. Just focus on making it to the ledge or past your opponent.

Also, stop trying to challenge Kirby in the air.

THE FISHING WHY. YOU HAD A MASSIVE LEAD AND YOU THREW IT AWAY BY REPEATEDLY TRYING TO FISH USMASH/UAIR ON HIM. If you had continued doing what you had done the first two stocks, which was playing more passively, setting up good positions with egg tosses, and being PATIENT, you would not have lost to a massive reversal.

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
elev8: I've watched the first two games of your set against Kirby. The first game was quite sloppy, and I had a lot to say, especially since I like the Kirby MU and you were playing it quite awfully. Then you fixed nearly everything for game 2 and destroyed him. At least, his first two stocks.

Then you got greedy, antsy, or whatever, and you stopped doing what was working.

Your recovery needs work. You're trying too hard to pull reversals or be fancy while recovering. Just focus on making it to the ledge or past your opponent.

THE FISHING WHY. YOU HAD A MASSIVE LEAD AND YOU THREW IT AWAY BY REPEATEDLY TRYING TO FISH USMASH/UAIR ON HIM. If you had continued doing what you had done the first two stocks, which was playing more passively, setting up good positions with egg tosses, and being PATIENT, you would not have lost to a massive reversal.
any way you can crtique my matches or anyone else who has the time

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I will. I picked that out because I had a bit of time during school, and the Kirby MU attracted me.

Also, your videos are always in the most obnoxious places ever. STREAM ARCHIVES FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

<3

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
yeah i know sorry about that i don't know how to link a match at the point where i want people to watch, but i listed the times where my matches begin.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Alright, so I watched your set against Marth, and here's what I got:

1) You go for hard reads way too often. I see you trying to intercept Marth with Fsmashes, which is good occassionally, but the amount of punishment you took for missing all of them was way too much.

2) You try to force the kill too much. This is bad, especially against Marth. Forcing kills leads you to getting punished, which furthers your opponent's lead on you. We especially struggle to break Marth's zone when trying to kill him, so the best thing to do is to try and zone him and then kill him when you catch him in a bad spot.

3) Similar to the above, you try to force followups too often. You must learn when to break away and reset to neutral. We don't really follow up on Marth well because his Fair just sorta swats everything away.

4) You're not making the correct punishments for your reads.

What I mean by this is that, when you're reading that Marth is going to dash at you, then jump away, you're not supposed to try to Bair him. Maybe once in a blue moon. The better option is to Usmash, which is good because it keeps us grounded, it can kill, and it doesn't involve challenging Marth in the air. There were a couple instances, especially in clutch moments, like when you were down a little bit and could have used a kill, that I noticed this, and simply running in and Usmashing the **** out of Marth would have been the best option.

I was going to comment about how you weren't properly zoning Marth, but you did a much better job game 2 than game 1, so I don't have much to say. Just learn the better options for your reads and you'll be able to clinch the win away from him. The games were pretty close, and it looked like you were just sorta struggling against Marth moreso than losing because of your own inability to beat the player.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace

Thanks Delta! I really should have had the set, but you called it. I was fishing WAY TOO HARD :mad: I'll continue to work on my patience and start placing higher :cool:

Scatz

Smash Champion
You did much better vs Snake. There's still a few issues you have dealing with Snake though. I would say use more DR when you have the offensive (or trying to make one), in attempt to bait more spotdodges.

Playstyle tip: He wasn't afraid of Egg lay or any grabs. You could've taken advantage mid match since you had trouble getting in. Not only that, but he only spotdodged when he felt like he had to do a quick option since you were fairly close to him.

As for playing against ICs, I'm not going to say too much since I don't have exp on that MU anymore, but you let a lot of momentum get away when you had ICs separated. Don't let it get away until you know you can't keep it going. It's cruicial to maximize that potential you get.

Also, something I noticed, I think it might be more beneficial to throw out Fsmash a lot more when your back is near the ledge. If they shield, you just get pushed back and have the animation canceled. You have a few places where that would've worked Firefly. Lastly, I don't agree with the CP since the dip is mad gay, but idk where to take them as a CP.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I agree that I missed some pretty important opportunities, and that's a big part of why I lost. I did not think of the pushback from blocked Fsmashes though; I take advantage of shield pushback when my opponent is next to the ledge to knock them off, but I don't think about it when I'm there.

As for the CP, picking stages against him is weird because he has a legit Wario and D3 in addition to his Snake/ICs, so Brinstar/RC are bad ideas and stages with walkoffs are risky too. Frigate seemed like the best way to pick a stage that wouldn't give any of his characters a significant advantage, and I figured the stage flips would help (I did get a KO from one) and the ledgeless side would give me some gimping opportunities (which it did) to make up for the gap. I would've considered Delfino, but I'm pretty sure that was his ban. In retrospect though, maybe I should've tried PS2...

:005:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Yeah, ironically, thinking about the pushback from Fsmash near the ledge was something I just thought of when watching you play lmao.

I see about the CP. Understandable then. Have you thought about going to Lylat or something?

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Why Lylat? The platforms seem very unpleasant against both Snake and ICs. I mean, they could be good for me too if I have the upper hand, but I'd imagine them working against me in neutral.

Sharky

Smash Master
lylat's plats work surprisingly well for yoshi in those mu's, a bit better for ic's than snake but you should try it out.

ps2>all though, imo.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Jake, what's with the tag?

And that second kill on game 1. omfg the read and the setup.

Actually, your momentum/pressure in game 1 was pretty amazing. I love it.

I hope those Egg Rolls against ICs were tech errors. I love the move, but against the ICs? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I think your CP is what beat you at the end there. The dip in Frigate made it so you really couldn't approach at all, and Ice Block shenanigans became more powerful. But people have already covered that. =P

You're much better against Snake than I am btw. Me gusta.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Jake, what's with the tag?

Shoutout tags have become kind of a thing in BC lately, and I figured it might remind me to play more patiently as well. =P

And that second kill on game 1. omfg the read and the setup.

Thanks! So mad I missed the Usmash read I had on his roll after respawning though. I hesitated because he fell for it last time as well, and I figured there's no way he'll roll into it again...and he did. >.>

Actually, your momentum/pressure in game 1 was pretty amazing. I love it.

Thanks again~

I hope those Egg Rolls against ICs were tech errors. I love the move, but against the ICs? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I would have to start seriously evaluating what I'm doing with my life if I ever started using Egg Roll intentionally against ICs...

I think your CP is what beat you at the end there. The dip in Frigate made it so you really couldn't approach at all, and Ice Block shenanigans became more powerful. But people have already covered that. =P

I really need to make better CP decisions in general. -.- Though now, I have a bunch of character CP options as well, and after thinking about it, I may have had a really good non-Yoshi CP on him if I had been willing to consider the possibility at the time...

You're much better against Snake than I am btw. Me gusta.

See, this would mean more if you weren't always talking about how bad you think you are at this game. :x
Responses in the good colour.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Delta just reminded me. Firefly, you should definitely find a way to use DACUS Usmash or Charging Usmash cause there was a moment you had Snake airdodging in the air (plus you bout were near the ledge) and he would've ate it hard if you did it. I think it'll help you get hard reads better imo.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp

Responses in the good colour.

In general, if you're stuck on CP options, pick a neutral. That's really all the advice I can give. My CPs are more straightforward as I only play Yoshi. :/

Also, I like to say that I suck all the time, but really. You pressure Snake well better than I do. I just play more cautiously at neutral than you. You edgeguard him much harder, trap his landings harder, and box with him much better than I do.

Now the ICs on the other hand...

Scatz

Smash Champion
In general, if you're stuck on CP options, pick a neutral. That's really all the advice I can give. My CPs are more straightforward as I only play Yoshi. :/

Also, I like to say that I suck all the time, but really. You pressure Snake well better than I do. I just play more cautiously at neutral than you. You edgeguard him much harder, trap his landings harder, and box with him much better than I do.

Now the ICs on the other hand...
Cmon now grammer nazi ;)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Hi.
This video is already old,but it´s me in my first tournament...

I was nervous at the begin of the match,and I played poorly,after I improved a little but that was not enough to recover the match. :(

Here it is:

http://www.twitch.tv/x_revolution/b/310614852
Go to 1:33:39 and see the match.

Waiting the critiques.

D

Deleted member

Play someone better, someone you lose to, and post a video of that.

Stop falling downairing into the ground.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If you load up brawl minus then take out the sd card, all the hacks and changes to brawl minus will turn off, but infinite replay will still work, so do that.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Your opponent sucks, it's Wifi, and you play blatantly unsafely.

Like Socks said, play someone better, get a match of you losing to said person, then ask for critique. The video you posted is pretty useless.

No one wants to critique me? :(
You jump way too much. Like, jumping is fine, but you're full hopping at people and then approaching them from that height from across the entire stage. And then Fairing/Bairing at them. That's terrible and your opponent should have just shield grabbed you for days. At least SH and use Egg Lay a lot more if you're gonna be so jumpy.

You have a TERRIBLE rolling habit. You roll anytime you feel a slight modicum of pressure. Yoshi should only be rolling if he's already in his shield and is being pressured in that way, but you skip that entire sequence and just roll, always. Learn to shield, and learn other methods of escaping pressure (dash away, pivot grab, SH Air Dodge, etc.).

You don't use the ledge. At all. You need the ledge to recover. It's very necessary, and you ate a ton of hits by trying to air dodge onto the stage instead of using the ledge.

Top Bottom