• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

Airborne

Smash Lord
Less Dsmashes. You used way too many, and if that fox was really trying to punish, you would've gotten messed up. Don't charge smashes if your opponent has a good chance to retaliate. You'll get killed for doing it, or you'll get combo'd out of your ***.

Work on your ECE more. You were pretty inaccurate when you could've added at least like 12% dmg. Watch your spacing when you use Bair. You can get shield grabbed alot more then what your friend really did. If you know the you're getting too close to your opponent after your attack, go for a quick pivot grab.

Last but not least, watch your opponent more carefully. You can see that he was spamming Usmash out of his *** to kill you. You can take advantage of that if you bait the move out. Also, start DIing out of those moves quicker. You're getting too much dmg from small time attacks that shouldn't be that big of a factor.

BTW, this was from watching the first vid. Hope you like the critque. :)
lolz.... advice from the second yoshi god himself....Fumi was first though.... only he was the one to successfully steal falco's bread, unmask Metaknight, and prove that Shiek is indeed a girl all at the same time..... Scatz just kicks ***. XD

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Thanks for the advice. I can defend myself on a few points though. I use the down smash a lot because it's the fastest attack directly out of a side-dodge which is my main method of dodging attacks. I've been trying to learn not to use it as such low % because the knock back is pretty bad now.

I charge smash attacks (mainly up-smash) because it's a mind-game strategy. If you play any opponent and you run forward at them, 99 times out of a 100 they're either going to block or dodge if they're not trying to intercept with an attack. Because of this, I slightly charge the up-smash so that when my opponent comes out of the dodge/shield, the attack hits them anyway for greater knock back. The reason it didn't work on the Fox player as much as it does with everyone else I play is because he and I have been playing since literally the day the game came out and he's learned about my tricks and he'll continue to hold his shield up when I rush him. So then I'm left there charging my smash attack and I'll go ahead and charge it all the way to weaken his shield as much as I possibly can and if I'm lucky than I can hit him anyway if his shield is low enough, but that's my reasoning. If you haven't tried it against opponents then I strongly encourage experimenting with it; it can be useful :)

In response to the spacing on the back aerial, the Fox player actually started grabbing a LOT more in the past two weeks and it took me a solid two days of straight 1 vs. 1 play to realize why he was 2-stocking me every match when we had been dead even in the past. So, I've learned to space the back aerial since those videos were posted.

I do need to use the pivot grab more. The reason I don't is because I'm mainly a defensive player. So if he's running at me, instead of counterattacking with a pivot grab, I'll normally just side dodge it, but learning to pivot grab more would help with the mind-game strategy more.

If you have any ideas on exactly how to bait a Fox into using his up-smash in such a way that you can punish him than I'm all ears. The attack doesn't have that much lag after it so unless I'm extremely close to him when he uses it, I can't properly counterattack. When I notice he's doing it, I generally camp and throw eggs to try and rack up his damage a bit more but I can't connect with very many of them because he reflects them back and then spams laser back at me. But, yeah, I can't think of any way to safely bait the attack with the smallest chance of getting hit so I try to back aerial him as much as possible to get a few combos in and do some damage. Let me know if you have any advice on that.

Finally, about the DIing, if he connects with the forward aerial, I WILL get hit by all 5 kicks. I can't DI out of it until the move is done (it's annoying as hell). And with the up-tilt, I can't DI out of it reliably because if you DI to the side, the Fox can immediately pivot and up-tilt again which sends you back the other direction into the center of the attack. The only method I've found is to get out of range vertically of the attack so I spam the jump whenever I get caught in it.

Anyway, if you have any extra time or if you're just curious, than I'd appreciate it if you checked out the other videos and could think of anything else to comment on. Thanks for your time :)

If anyone else has any observations or comments please let me know; I'm all ears.

bigman40

Smash Master
lolz.... advice from the second yoshi god himself....Fumi was first though.... only he was the one to successfully steal falco's bread, unmask Metaknight, and prove that Shiek is indeed a girl all at the same time..... Scatz just kicks ***. XD
LOL. Thx for teh compliment xD *doesn't think that's I is the second yoshi god yet* I'll be up there to match Fumi soon. He's my last challenge that I have to reach, and I'm not stopping till I reach a skill level equivalent to his.

@Yoshssb: I'm just letting you know the things that I'd say you try to improve. You can nearly DI out of everything in this game, and other weird stuff. If I get free time, I'll look at the other ones.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Wow.

Bigz, your DR is too scary. Good stuff on that Link player. I thought you both played the matchup very well even though the Link mismanaged his edgeguards. You put very good aerial pressure (especially on that first stock) when you could get it to net you the KOs. Wow, your DR. So good. Wow.

Also, Bwett's grab game is officially disgustingly rapeface. I'm pretty sure my kids will want to grow up to be him; I'm keeping these for posterity! Too raw!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Also, Bwett's grab game is officially disgustingly rapeface. I'm pretty sure my kids will want to grow up to be him; I'm keeping these for posterity! Too raw!
Yeah I've had to go wayyyyy out of my way whenever we play just to avoid a grab from him, but it's starting to pay off. :D

bigman40

Smash Master
Thankies! I should have more applications the more I use this move each month. Although, I'm sort of finding it harder to succesfully work on small characters =/ Oh well. Just another obstacle to get around.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
I agree completely. Plus, using the infinite to kill Wario let's say from 20% damage can take FOREVER and it's incredibly boring to spam Z as fast as you can and then hit C-stick-up. It's way more fun to win outright with skill :)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That, and I've broken to the ground a few times while he has tried to infinite me, so in all honesty just releasing into a guaranteed Usmash/Uair after 1-2 grabs is probably a safer bet anyways.

Also, Wario can surprisingly dodge the grab if you are just pressing Z as fast as you can. :)

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Speaking of the ground breaking, how do you do that? It'd be extremely helpful against a Dedede chain grab. Even if it's incredibly difficult to time, I'll learn what to do so that if I get lucky then I won't receive 40 freaking damage that I can't do anything about.

Oh yeah and Jile, could you put the videos on the first page? I said what the sets were (first 5 matches are set 1 and other 4 are set 2 and they're all in order). If anyone can tell me what happened in match 4 in set 1 at 3:25 and how to do it then I'd be much appreciated. It looks like he hit me with a laser the second I tried to grab which canceled my grab attempt, but the animation is a little unclear.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I agree completely. Plus, using the infinite to kill Wario let's say from 20% damage can take FOREVER and it's incredibly boring to spam Z as fast as you can and then hit C-stick-up. It's way more fun to win outright with skill :)
Its not that easy for realz but easier then ICs lol

D

Deleted member

Thats really creative and kudos for expanding on it. I sometimes do the "semi dash dance thing" where you run back and forth but that **** is too good. Mind if i experiment with it? Id prolly only use it to spice up my game occasionally.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Any particular reason why you don't do a "real" dash dance instead of the semi-dash dance? In my experience I've found the regular dash dance to be more effective at confusing my opponent. The only flaw I've found with the normal dash dance is that I'm more likely to trip throughout the match but in all the matches I've used it in, I've tripped maybe 3 times at most in the match and all the times, I'm far enough away from my opponent that it doesn't do anything to turn the tide of the match. I'll have some videos soon of how I use the dash dance so you guys can judge whether it's more or less effective.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I laugh when people try to dash-dance on Brawl. Not only does it not have even a FRACTION of the usefulness that it does on Melee, but there's also a pretty reasonable chance that the guy is going to land flat on his ***, since the tripping modifier takes effect every time they turn around.

Dash-dancing on Brawl is just stupid.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
The real one is hard to control and you end up going the wrong way and or concentrate on it too much and end up paying for it. What a long run on sentence... Anyway.. Bwett that is something I just started doing recently as well. But is it really worth playing without tap jump? I still find that I catch people with eggs off stage even when they know its coming... Its just so much more safer having it on.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
You can do different things with Yoshi easier with Tap Jump on than with it off. You can pretty much do everything both ways, it's really just a matter of what things you'd prefer to have an easier time with. For example, Egg Toss Slide is much easier with Tap Jump on, but Egg Toss Jumping requires a little more thought.

The vast majority of Yoshi players have Tap Jump off, but it's not a necessity by any means.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
I didn't say it was. I just felt it was safer. And you can do egg slide tosses just as easy with tap jump off by assigning R to special (for easy access). I just dash, hit jump then r, and angle the eggs to get the same effect...

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
I laugh when people try to dash-dance on Brawl. Not only does it not have even a FRACTION of the usefulness that it does on Melee, but there's also a pretty reasonable chance that the guy is going to land flat on his ***, since the tripping modifier takes effect every time they turn around.

Dash-dancing on Brawl is just stupid.
I won't disagree that it's not as useful as it was in Melee because it's not at all. However, if you use it every now and then (say 5 times total in a match) than it can catch your opponent off guard just as well as the DR and it gives you a little more control. The DR usually limits itself to the down-smash because it's so difficult to do but a dash dance allows for everything. So, if you just use it as often as you would use the DR then it should work. Maybe it's just the way that I play but I've found the dash dance in moderation to be extremely effective.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I totally forgot Egg-Toss Slide was a tech, since it's so imbued into my fingers.

To me it's no different from regular egg toss, and I have tap jump off.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I'm taking down the hall of fame either tomorrow or the next day, so everyone vote for what you think is the best Yoshi video.

Airborne

Smash Lord
man it's so hard to vote... T_T guess ill go through every single one and pick out my favorites.... after i upload some winners XD.... no, seriously, i have some good matches.... where i lose..... XD+T_T=?

digs

Smash Rookie
Perhaps I missed something when searching the thread, but I do not believe I saw any videos of Karamity. I've subscribed to his channel on youtube. He's got plenty of matches uploaded there. He's definitely a big inspiration to me. Hyperlink to follow:

http://www.youtube.com/user/karamity2

I do apologize if this has already been mentioned.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Perhaps I missed something when searching the thread, but I do not believe I saw any videos of Karamity. I've subscribed to his channel on youtube. He's got plenty of matches uploaded there. He's definitely a big inspiration to me. Hyperlink to follow:

http://www.youtube.com/user/karamity2

I do apologize if this has already been mentioned.
Sssh. Karamity is just legend.

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
Are there any videos of a Yoshi chain release grabbing Snake? I think my timing on either the buffering of the dash or the grab might be off since I can occasionally get close, but they just have enough time to use a second jump. A video would likely help me discover my error.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Are there any videos of a Yoshi chain release grabbing Snake? I think my timing on either the buffering of the dash or the grab might be off since I can occasionally get close, but they just have enough time to use a second jump. A video would likely help me discover my error.
Look at the CG list thread for tips other then that it just takes practice and honestly on snake the CG is pretty useless because you can only do it three times across FD so it doesn't do enough damage on snake.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Actually, it's more useful than you think because it leads to many edge-guarding options. You can also trick Snake into thinking that you'll re-grab him and if he jumps and does a b-air you can up-smash him.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Actually, it's more useful than you think because it leads to many edge-guarding options. You can also trick Snake into thinking that you'll re-grab him and if he jumps and does a b-air you can up-smash him.
i know but the actual CG part for damage is pretty useless but yes the release is decent.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
I am going to a tourn in NYC tonight.. I will try and get some videos up.

Top Bottom