• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory is My Destiny - MK Video and Critique Thread

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Need some advice here :p
That day I played worse than usual, normally I don't suck that much.

Vs MK (Port Town) The way I won this match was terribly gay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDh5EDlLVzM

Vs Rob (Final Destination)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUTCG1gdIJg

Vs Rob (Smashville)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U6C5l_kmSM

Any advice is helpful, please tell me what I should improve :3 Ah, yes, Port Town is tournament legal in Argentina.
Hola. Te dare los tips en español, ya que yo soy Chileno.

Tu error mas grande, y por lejos, es hacer repetidas veces Tornado desde muy lejos, y desde el suelo (dandote mas Lag cuando aterrizas, recuerda, si haces un Tornado a cierta distancia en el aire, cuando caes, no hay lag, es la distancia de la Cabeza de Snake, un poco mas arriba). Te vi demasiadas veces hacer Tornados desde muy lejos, y en ocasiones cuando el rival lo esperaba (cuando estabas parado, y no hacias nada), o tenia su escudo puesto. La mejor forma de hacer un tornado es cuando tu oponente esta en el aire, o cuando su escudo esta debilitado, asi el si esquivan en el aire los puedes seguir con el tornado, o pasar encima del escudo. Recuerda golpear con el tornado en la "cabeza" del escudo de tu oponente, ya que si tu oponente tiene debil el escudo, lo chupara hacia arriba, y si no mueve el escudo hacia arriba, pasara lo mismo.

El otro error grande, es que siempre atacas con el ataque del Planeo, muchas veces, cuando no es seguro, o tu estas en alto porcentaje de Daño. La mejor forma de aplicar este ataque es cuando tu estas en la orilla del escenario, y tu oponente esta cargando un Smash, o esperando que subas de forma predecible, en ese momento, puedes, soltarte de la orilla, hacer un Arriba +B,y golpearle en la "cabeza" con el ataque del planeo, esto te permitira tener impulso para devolverte hacia atras, y si lo conectas te da la posibilidad de empezar un combo (en bajos porcentajes de daño) o quitarle el Stock al oponente (en altos porcentajes de daño). Muchas veces te vi, de forma aleatoria, volar alto, y lanzarte a atacar al oponente. Este angulo es muy dificil, y produce una desventaja. La mejor forma de hacerlo es, como ya dije, pegandole en la "cabeza" al rival. Evita hacer este ataque de forma aleatoria, o repentina.

Otro error, esque aleatoriamente, hacias el ataque Drill Rush (Adelante +B) cuando es un ataque muy inseguro, y es generalmente usado para volver al escenario. Trata de usar esto para volver al escenario, o usarlo cerca de una orilla, asi golpeas al rival, y te agarras de la orilla para evitar el Lag del ataque, y asi, no ser castigado por el ataque.

Eres muy impaciente aveces, relajate mas, hay veces que debes atacar, y otras que no, todo depende del escenario que jueges, y el personaje que usa tu rival. Si estas ganando, no te acerques tanto, si estas perdiendo, mide mas tus acercamientos, o campea.

Tu acercamiento general es Pobre, te recomiendo usar mas F-Airs en un salto carto (ataque aereo hacia delante) D-Tilts (a la misma distancia del F-Air) (Control Stick inclinado hacia abajo +A) para Atacar, estos ataques son geniales, ya que son seguros, y levantan o alejan al oponente de formas favorables para atacar (arriba de Meta Knight, o a la distancia de un D-Smash o Arriba+B desde el suelo).

Otro error, esque muchas veces hacias un salto largo mas D-Airs (Ataque aereo hacia abajo) y cuando ibas cayendo hacias otro, y quedabas indefenso ante el contraataque del oponente por el Lag de atterizar con un ataque Aereo. Te recomiendo que hagas D-Air Camping, esto quiere decir, que haces un salto largo y haces Repetidos D-Airs a la cabeza del oponente, pero saltas de nuevo antes de cada D-Air, asi no caes al suelo, y no quedas indefenso ante el contraataque del oponente.

En esta partida puedes ver como Mew2King aplica el ataque del Tornado como te dije, y el D-Air Camping como te dije:

Espero que mis tips hayan sido de tu agrado, ya que para mi fue un gusto escribirlos. Te saluda atentamente, ZeRo de la comunidad de SmashBrosChile.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Muchas gracias Zero, ahora mismo me pongo a practicar todo :B Gracias de nuevo :)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
*Empieza a leer el post de Zero*

inb4 Metaknights, Metaknights everywhere.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I'm bad vs. Snake. :ohwell: I made a lot of obvious mistakes, but I'm generally oblivious as to how I'm supposed to get in on Snake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f8NIBzc-w0#t=4m34s
You used tornado against Snake A LOT. And, most of the time while he was waiting for it (dropping a Grenade and Shielding) the best way that you can Tornado Snake is to Nado' him on the HEAD (when his holding a grenade) and land without lag ( a little bit above Snake's head) or when Snake is on the Air, Juggling Snake him Tornado is a good strategy.

Your movement with Grenades was your main problem. If Snake is camping or throwing grandes, you have to stay in the Air, not on the ground. You will get damaged sooner or later, on the ground. You can D-Air camp him in this scenario, or Nado' his head. Throwing Snake's grenades back, is also a very bad idea. This allows him to pressure the Meta Knight with more grenades, or grab you, or N-Air you, etc.

You need to Juggle Snake better, be patient on this. If he D-Airs, you N-Air. If he N-Airs, you U-Air. If he B-Air, U-Air or N-Air. You can kill Snake with a tornado if he's on 80% porcentage of damage, and he N-Air or D-Airs (B-Air beats the tornado). Also, ALWAYS, Bait the Air-Dodge. Act AFTER the Snake, not BEFORE.

This video, explains the Match-Up very well IMO:

MLG Colombus Grand Finals, Game 3 Mew2king :metaknight: vs Ally :snake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bj7UxAclCk

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I'm bad vs. Snake. :ohwell: I made a lot of obvious mistakes, but I'm generally oblivious as to how I'm supposed to get in on Snake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f8NIBzc-w0#t=4m34s
Here are 3 things I noticed from watching this, and it's not about you vs Snake but you as a player.

Work on not being so predictable, work on character control, and work on your speed.

Those are simple flaws as a player that would help you immensely once corrected.

Master Raven

Smash Master
1. When Snake is falling back to the stage without the need of a cypher, it's usually better to just wait and grab again than to risk damage with a shuttle loop. I recommend, but not limit you to, aerial SLing if you can A) mix up w/ it safely (make sure you don't get predictable w/ it so Snake doesn't expect it) or B) when you predict he's going to cypher. Even if Snake manages to get back on-stage after he gets throwed like I recommend, Snake is so godawful descending into the ground that you should just juggle him with Uairs should he descend while he's on-stage (or if he likes to air-dodge, just wait and grab once more).

2. Don't approach Snake with tornados that low (especially when you were descending straight into the ground following with a tornado at point blank) or from very far. If you're going to approach him with it, do so higher in the air so he can't just blow it up while holding nades in his regular "holding-nade" stance, and if he shields and there are platforms nearby, retreat to those. You generally want to use tornado if Snake likes to be spammy with his ftilts, to punish his aerials, to do some potentially gay stuff like Uair 5x into tornado (provided of course you're high enough) and to just shield poke him if his shield isn't full.

3. I liked your first kill with the SL platform cancels; it was very effective based on Snake's positioning. I've actually never done that before but I'm probably going to practice it now lol

4. Picking up a nade when Snake's that close (at the beginning of his second stock) is kinda risky. If you wanna do something dumb to Snake while he's close to his own nades I suggest either not picking it up and do something else or catch him off-guard with a ground SL to hit Snake with the blown up nade while you don't get hurt (and if there are two nades, depending on the distance and positioning between you, the nades, and Snake, the explosion range can hit Snake from a ridiculous distance LOL).

5. When you send Snake in the air, while Uairing to juggle is ideal, you usually don't want to just go straight up and chase him, cuz he can just air dodge through you and now suddenly the positions have reversed. What you want to do depends on how far from up Snake is descending and his positioning. Here are a list of viable options for keeping Snake in the air:

A) if he's just doing a regular-fall air-dodge (like if he's doing so while descending back on-stage), grab if he lands, Uair if he's still in the air. Should the latter occur, keep Uairing him as long as you can until he manages to get out of it (ideally you want to just keep chipping in damage with the Uairs) or use other aerials if he's still in the air but positioned so that the Uair can't hit him but something like your side aerials can.

B) if he's really high up: maintain a distance between you and Snake while baiting him with Uairs. The idea is to get him to do something like air dodging, nade-landing, aerials, etc. but because of the distance between the two of you, you'll be able to catch him on time to punish him for it.

6. Be careful with full-hop side-aerials like your Fair right before Snake killed you for it and your Bair when your second stock started. You don't really want to do that in general unless you're playing someone like Wario who jumps in the air a lot and in that case you can use it as a mixup but it's generally not a good option.

7. When Snake is real high in the air, you don't really wanna tornado unless you catch him doing something that'll get him punished for it, but even then there are better options nowadays. See #5.

8. Careful with dash-attacking Snake while he's still grounded. Save it for reads and punishes.

9. Be careful with gliding to Snake and using your glide-attack while he's shielding. It's really tricky to utilize the GA properly without getting punished for it so it's reasonably risky but don't just GA into his face like that lol.

10. Dsmashing Snake that close when you're at that % is usually not a good idea, especially when it's your last stock. I would've preferred you just shield and grab right when he spot-dodged. Sometimes just standing and shield-camping will frighten the Snake into a spot-dodge, so if he tends to do that then take advantage of it.

You generally want to approach this MU by just camping him out and punishing accordingly. Virtually all of Snake's attacks be punished with grabs, so grabs are SUPER IMPORTANT in this MU. Take advantage of MK's ability to punish in the air and landings since that is one of Snake's greatest weaknesses, especially in this MU. Snake should not get back to the ground most of the time without taking damage, or worse, getting hit back off-stage/in the air again and thus putting him into a perpetually terrible position until he can somehow finally go through MK's punishes. Experiment with utilizing different ways to use Snake's nades against him back; you can get pretty creative and have fun with them that way, as long as you're hitting Snake with them of course ;)

And let me stress that obviously most of these strategies are not always 100% viable so don't fret if Snake occasionally manages to avoid any of them (so long as he isn't avoiding them most of the time lol). Mix up to throw Snakes off and not read you easily, but don't mix up so much that the MU will essentially turn even all of a sudden because you're not taking advantage of MK's strengths against the character. That was my mistake for a while but I've only VERY recently learned to maintain a balance between the two (mix-ups and abusing MK's strengths). Finally, I would like to expand upon Isai's advice: Don't get hit, and just hit things. Don't even worry about kill moves unless you KNOW for certain they're going to hit. Just focus on getting damage on your opponent safely and avoid getting hit so that it'll get to the point where he's at such a high % that moves that don't normally kill him will now do so, and if you played patient enough, you won't have taken much damage at least, so they'll be so scared to approach you that it'll psychologically **** with their heads and hopefully make them choke into opening themselves up for the final blow. Also get more grabby when they're at kill %, as most people tend to shield more often at that point.

Btw guys this is my first time critiquing anything ever so I'm sorry if I may have missed some other useful stuff but I wanna help people get better and I've always wanted to do critiques lol

~PWN~

Smash Cadet
I am going to put a lot of detail into this because I have a lot of time right now lol. But to be more blunt be a lot more aggro, put in less SL and a lot more aerials. Also don't fear the air MK has a lot of options for recovery you should be very comfortable out there while it seemed you tried to get on stage as fast as possible. Also when he is up in the air chase him with some aerials don't wait for him to come down.

[COLLAPSE="First Marth match."]
0:17 Use you UAir and chase him up while in free fall which can combo into more UAirs and followed with a SL

0:29 Instead of FAir and BAir it would be best to use Nair because of its range.

0:41 this would definitely be the time to get in a few aerial attacks instead of waiting for him to come back down at this percent I would UAir combo to a NAir.

1:17 I would have chosen to use a SL or a NAir instead of the UAir but that good job on following him a little.

1:30 You could of went to where he would land and used a NAir instead of waiting for him to get back down.

3:11 Very nice reverse SL that was a really good choice.

4:43 Again just follow him up with some aerials to make sure and get some more damage in on him.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Second Marth match."]

0:26 Use UAir to hit him into a combo also if you don't have tap jumo on I would because it helps UAir rise easier.

0:56 When he is in the air it is time for your MK to shine with his awesome aerials don't just wait for him to come down.

1:20 You use SL to much I suggest a well placed NAir which is an option that I think can be just as effective.

1:33 More aerials that stock could have been gone right here and you would not have died as fast.

2:46 Good job thats what I want to see.

3:13 Go for a down throw instead of a release.
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="First Fox match."]
0:49 There is no need to SL here a simple UAir combo would do better.

1:02 Chase him and put more aerial game in there.

1:06 A NAir would have been much better in this case than a DAir.

2:37 - 3:10 You have got to approach him I suggest a glide to gain some ground on him.

3:21 No need for SL you had a lot of better options.

3:58 When they edge guard like this I love to use my SL to get on stage it has such good knock-back and cancels on the stage.

4:18 You should have went for the gimp you had 3 more jumps to rely on. [/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Second Fox match."]
0:20 NAir would have been better than DAir.

0:30 Still to much SL use more aerials.

0:56 Don't DAir use NAir or even FAir.

1:28 NAir ... again lol.

1:38 Try a Nado also with your DAir camping.

2:30 Aerials don't just wait.

3:30 No need for SL a lot more options for you.

3:39 Any other aerial but SL would be fine.[/COLLAPSE]

That's all of it hope I helped a bit.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
I am going to put a lot of detail into this because I have a lot of time right now lol. But to be more blunt be a lot more aggro, put in less SL and a lot more aerials. Also don't fear the air MK has a lot of options for recovery you should be very comfortable out there while it seemed you tried to get on stage as fast as possible. Also when he is up in the air chase him with some aerials don't wait for him to come down.

[COLLAPSE="First Marth match."]
0:17 Use you UAir and chase him up while in free fall which can combo into more UAirs and followed with a SL

0:29 Instead of FAir and BAir it would be best to use Nair because of its range.

0:41 this would definitely be the time to get in a few aerial attacks instead of waiting for him to come back down at this percent I would UAir combo to a NAir.

1:17 I would have chosen to use a SL or a NAir instead of the UAir but that good job on following him a little.

1:30 You could of went to where he would land and used a NAir instead of waiting for him to get back down.

3:11 Very nice reverse SL that was a really good choice.

4:43 Again just follow him up with some aerials to make sure and get some more damage in on him.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Second Marth match."]

0:26 Use UAir to hit him into a combo also if you don't have tap jumo on I would because it helps UAir rise easier.

0:56 When he is in the air it is time for your MK to shine with his awesome aerials don't just wait for him to come down.

1:20 You use SL to much I suggest a well placed NAir which is an option that I think can be just as effective.

1:33 More aerials that stock could have been gone right here and you would not have died as fast.

2:46 Good job thats what I want to see.

3:13 Go for a down throw instead of a release.
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="First Fox match."]
0:49 There is no need to SL here a simple UAir combo would do better.

1:02 Chase him and put more aerial game in there.

1:06 A NAir would have been much better in this case than a DAir.

2:37 - 3:10 You have got to approach him I suggest a glide to gain some ground on him.

3:21 No need for SL you had a lot of better options.

3:58 When they edge guard like this I love to use my SL to get on stage it has such good knock-back and cancels on the stage.

4:18 You should have went for the gimp you had 3 more jumps to rely on. [/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Second Fox match."]
0:20 NAir would have been better than DAir.

0:30 Still to much SL use more aerials.

0:56 Don't DAir use NAir or even FAir.

1:28 NAir ... again lol.

1:38 Try a Nado also with your DAir camping.

2:30 Aerials don't just wait.

3:30 No need for SL a lot more options for you.

3:39 Any other aerial but SL would be fine.[/COLLAPSE]

That's all of it hope I helped a bit.
guess I got alot of bad habbits to fix. this defiantly helped alot, Thank you :D :D :D :D :D :D

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I'll actually look at more later...but...get better at SDI his dair...that **** is so easy. SDI dair and dair him. Same with upsmash. SHouldn't ever get hit by a full one.

Master Raven

Smash Master
That Usmash comes pretty fast so I can't always react to it immediately (though sometimes my reaction time sucks too so you can also blame that).

Now tell me how to correctly SDI Dair

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
You shouldn't have to react. SDI should be like teching. You need to make it a thoughtless process which you automatically do and is a part of your game. Something that is very underrated among mid and even some high players. And not often practiced at all.

Anyways, when i get hit by dair i usually hold diagonal up and towards them(90% of the time they move towards you when using dair to get behind your shield far enough you can't punish) and can get out very fast that way. Dair is such a multi hit move that sdi is super easy against that move. It's like marth's down portion of his dancing blade. You don't even need the c-stick that's how easy it is. One or two inputs max and your out of dair free to land a dair of your own.

Exdeath

Smash Master
That Usmash comes pretty fast so I can't always react to it immediately (though sometimes my reaction time sucks too so you can also blame that).

Now tell me how to correctly SDI Dair
DI Up and slide the stick in a quarter-circle motion away from Wario's path.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Thank you Kuro and Xdeath for letting me know. To be honest I don't think I really understand DI that well (I know Swordgard made a bigass topic about the mechanics of DI in Brawl but honestly it's too technical for me to really comprehend)

Exdeath

Smash Master
Thank you Kuro and Xdeath for letting me know. To be honest I don't think I really understand DI that well (I know Swordgard made a bigass topic about the mechanics of DI in Brawl but honestly it's too technical for me to really comprehend)
I'll try to show you some practical ways to SDI the next time that I make it to ZP.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Me vs. Staco, Winners Bracket R2 @ M2N
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oARZx2TqysI
:05 - Why did you start with Neutral B?

:12 - Staco whiffed Dsmash in your face and you missed the punish. Reverse jab is usually a bad follow-up for dash attack. Turn around>Shield and jump>stuff are the two main mix-ups for low percent dash attack follow-ups.

MISC. :22 - Jump>Dair partially beats standing shield because they'll react to the Dair by jump>stuff that will whiff in front of you.

:33 - Why would you just sit there?

:45 - Try moving higher with Neutral B so that he can't hit you at all. Hoping that he'd mis-time it is a bad risk-reward.

:57 - Approaching with Neutral B doesn't seem to work at all for you as you are. Use it differently vs. Staco (if not everyone). Try using it with a read or closer. Also, you could have shield poked him from the side if you spaced it better.

1:45 - Too greedy.

2:00 - You once again missed a shield poke, although what you did worked out in the end.

2:09 - You should have reacted to him dropping Fsmash by tilting your glide up slightly more so that you wouldn't get grabbed on PS, although what you did wrong was more lucky for Staco than you making a mistake.

2:27 - Staco has a horrible reaction time.

2:38 - Another missed poke.

2:40 - ...

3:03 - Poke...

3:31 - You're clearly uncomfortable around Fsmash when you shouldn't be. You should have glided down a lot further.

In general, you need to work on spacing for the sake of shield poking, recovering to the ledge (Staco should have abused this a lot more than he did, which is hardly at all), and returning on to the stage. You are ledge trap bait incarnate. You went for greedy things when they weren't so rewarding. Near the end, Staco was leaving himself open for random Up-Bs, but you waited and Up-Bed when he was randomly using Neutral B above all of the platforms when you could have sent him into a juggle position or Naired him (you lacked a kill option). Up-B was a relatively bad choice in that situation.

Staco

Smash Champion
2:27 - LOOOL xD

My reaction time is not even bad at all normally. xD

I was recovering horrible that day, kind of picked up that habit one day earlier, just watch my dittos vs. Kaos, when they are uploaded. :s
Why would I go above the stage all the time, when I can just get to the ledge, so stupid. :s

I wished Cadet would have punished it more, so I would have started recovering the good way. :/

Exdeath

Smash Master
2:27 - LOOOL xD

My reaction time is not even bad at all normally. xD

I was recovering horrible that day, kind of picked up that habit one day earlier, just watch my dittos vs. Kaos, when they are uploaded. :s
Why would I go above the stage all the time, when I can just get to the ledge, so stupid. :s

I wished Cadet would have punished it more, so I would have started recovering the good way. :/
I usually recover high as well. I can count on one hand the MKs in the South who can consistently punish Neutral B recoveries.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm yet to understand why some people can play that risky, but very effective... =___=

Exdeath

Smash Master
I'm yet to understand why some people can play that risky, but very effective... =___=
Pwii wasn't playing very risky. He didn't even attempt to punish a large portion of Vinnie's whiffs because punishing G&W can be tricky and he didn't punish something unless he was certain that it would hit and/or the risk/reward was fairly solid.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom