• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Don't Get Hyped - Jan 28 - Link to results at top of opening post

earla

Smash Lord
i can't believe u went to the trouble of linking that.

wasn't even refering to the game.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
How well I do in this will be a factor of wheather I go to QLD in Feb or not. Also since I'm gonna try and bring my Wii to this do you all want me to add your names to the name list in Brawl? So you all dont have to type it in on the day of the tournament.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
thanks ringworm
don't worry about names, players will quickly type it in themselves and add their personal settings for controls and rumble
some players have very weird tags anyway; for brawl i usually use "VIVA?"

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
This tournament is looking to be awesome. One day I might host my own. If only I could think of a name for it.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
first annual ringworm tournament
(FART)
not as big as qld's tPoO but would certainly leave a lasting impression

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
melee: practice techs, play cpus.

brawl: practice techs, don't play cpus.

and i'm not even joking...

but seriously, just play like you'd normally play, and try not to get your hopes up too high.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i disagree, i recommend not playing melee cpus (at least not with the aim of 4 stocking them over and over, creates very bad habits) and i recommend you DO get your hopes up... sort of. be confident in your abilities. coach orion.

however the most important thing isn't the tournament, (hopefully) there will be plenty of time before, during and after the tournament to have FRIENDLIES (casual matches) with everyone!
this is also the best way of practising

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
watching replays of good players is also a great way to help improve your skills

and when I say watching I mean you have to be ****ing analysing everything, dont just stare at the screen.

watch what they do, why did they do that and not this? what happened when the opponent did this? etc

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Can someone plz vs me over WI-FI? Cos I'm simply not improving by versing lv 9 CPUs.

Tomiie

Smash Apprentice
Can someone plz vs me over WI-FI? Cos I'm simply not improving by versing lv 9 CPUs.
I'll play a few games if you like. I hate wifi and don't take it serious, I'm just curious to see what the connection will be like.

Tomiie

Smash Apprentice
Whats your fc? lol

Edit: Whats your FC? The one on the side next to your name is invalid.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Great game. I have alot of improving to do. I MIGHT have done better if I wasn't so tied.

Tomiie

Smash Apprentice
Good games. I'm sure your a lot better offline (aren't we all lol).
Your Marth needs practice, STOP! using counter, you used it about 50 times each game, it was so predictable, I'd just wait there for you to use counter each time you tried to land, I couldn't punish you properly because of how bad the connection was.
Try to get more Fairs in your game, you used about one in all the games we had. Fair is easily one of Marth's best moves if you learn to space them correctly. Also try to get more Nairs.
One other thing was you use SpecialUp at random times (don't know why), but that's not a wise thing to do, especially against characters like Snake and Ike who can punish hard with Fsmash.
Anyways I'm looking forward to playing some friendlies with you offline. :)

jezza_10

Smash Apprentice
hey ringworm im the same as you, theres no point in vsing lvl 9 cpus im not going to get any better. do you mind if we have a few friendlies ? :) my friend code is 2320-8677-8456. Not now, my sister is using the wii but maybe in about 4 hours?

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Looks like the VIC Smash scene is starting to thrive again!

Guys easily the best and fastest way to improve in Smash is to play other people. Wifi is okay...as a last resort. It's really good to see your enthusiasm to get better and prepare for the upcoming tournament/s.

If you are keen to play more people then your best option would be to go to meets. Unfortunately the tournament is in two weeks so not many meets can be had in that short amount of time. If you are free next weekend though then anyone is welcome to come to my meet, I would like to see you guys there, really!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=262308

^^ go here if you are interested in playing other people this weekend.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
melee: practice techs, play cpus.

brawl: practice techs, don't play cpus.
there are many top players in both games that play cpus for practice. in fact most of the best players and more technical ones in both games that i know personally even outside of mew2king play computers as a way to at least generally keep their hands fresh.

playing computers in both brawl and melee can definitely make bad habits, especially if you NEVER play people. however it's a loss you'll probably have to take unless you have someone to play all the time, (or you can choose to be rusty technically, it depends what you feel is more important). Also i don't necessarily want to call everything a bad habit, because no matter what you do you will have habits... some are worse than others.

If you're spacing is perfect and you are picking options are extremely safe and cover multiple options themselves, then it's not going to lose you games unless you are completely unable to adapt or do mixups when you realize it's getting obvious.

In my honest opinion, if you're a smart player and your mind is in the game, including when you're playing the computers the habits you might potentially form are easily adaptable because you should be a flexible player and the overall safety should be good.

playing other people is definitely the fastest way to improve, but playing computers and just being able to focus on yourself and not reading for a new developing player gives them the ability to
-understand their spacing
-get maximum punishments and followups off of read/or their opponents mistake
-make less technical errors themselves
-become comfortable and fluid movement wise, especially in a game like smash where there are different areas like platforms and most importantly the ledge

Attila_

BRoomer
that was random. definitely didn't expect a response from someone outside of our community.

your point is valid.

although, to an extent, mine is too. as a snake main, for instance, playing cpus teachs me to not use ftilt (since both hits are often powershielded by lv9s), not use nades (cause they cpu runs in anyway) and to edgeguard offstage aggressively (cause it works and is never punished).

if someone is new and coming into the scene with these ideas, chances are they wont do very well.

obviously as people who are au fait with the current metagame, we know these are all bad things to do, and wont work on people. but someone who has never been to a tourney probably doesnt.

i do like practicing techs against cpus, and will often spend use cpus as a method of practicing my evasion game, di and sdi. but i dont think beginners will be able to use cpus for that purpose.

but yes, cpus did give a grounding from which new players can learn from, which is better than nothing.

jezza_10

Smash Apprentice
i really would love to go to meets, but unfortunately, i dont live in melbourne. I play my brother and sister, but we are as good as each other and everyone else i play in my area cant play as well as us. i don't feel like playing the same people over and over will make me improve all that much.

It all depends if i dont have to work on the weekend or got anything planned, luckily january 28th suits me perfectly (well so far anyway :) )

Attila_

BRoomer
Provided the three of you are competitive, that should be enough.

I basically only practice with my brother, and I'm not bad.

:phone:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
2nd time you've posted in this thread, too
i take that as confirmation of your attendance
don't get hyped is now an international major

TidusAni

Smash Apprentice
so annoyed i cant come to this, but i have more important commitments.

should be attending EVERYTHING after feb 8th, also working on a new main

Dekar289

Smash Hero
I managed to get that TV out and working so I should be able to bring it.
awesome!
remember folks, anyone who brings a TV saves $5

so annoyed i cant come to this, but i have more important commitments.
should be attending EVERYTHING after feb 8th, also working on a new main
damn
are you really gunna take that long to grieve over ice's failure at apex?
i found everything from javi vs hungrybox onwards much more depressing

hopefully zxv will be in attendance to represent all the honest sheiks of the world
tho you would have been a better chance of taking 1st than him hohoho
wow i haven't trash talked in ages... it was better when i didn't know people or how good they were lol

Top Bottom