• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Don't Get Hyped - Jan 28 - Link to results at top of opening post

TidusAni

Smash Apprentice
apex was saddening anyways, though i did like watching azen.

Pfft ice will take every tourney this year, he was just jks during apex, you'll see.
wtf @ javi anyway? i was expecting jman or even hax/azen to get what he placed.

also i think hax is about 8.4x better than s2j.

Splice

Smash Hero
imo CPUs better than wifi when you know what to practice, because you learn timing and such and develop good control over your character. IMO when you are just starting, that is what can take the longest time, getting perfect control of where your character is, when during your jump you throw at the aerial and so on. If you are practicing spacing and techs, CPUs are better.

But if you really have no idea what you should be working on, then Wifi is acceptable. Plus it's more fun then CPUs. Take the time to play some friendlies with someone who knows your character at a tournament, so then you can make CPU practice worth while because you will have ideas in your head.

@Cao: yes Tidusani = RedX

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
IF we have crew battles, can people not bail and hold the tournament brackets?

Its really hard to get things run on time if everyones taking off lol. Might have to pull a Redact like a boss and DQ people if they dont turn up for their matches, yeaaaah.

-sun glasses-

Then again, I'm not running this tournament. I'll at leaat force jei to do it anyway lawl

Dekar289

Smash Hero
crews? vic vs oos is slaughter even at full strength
if you guys really want it though, it can happen, but only if we get lots of setups

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
The only thing that could come up is if I manage to get a job (which in a way would be a good thing since I would be able to save up for things like extra TVs for the tournament). Anyway I'm pretty much confirmed.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
only three months until i'm back in the game. im hungry for smash... please **** me, everyone! shaz and i made a pact to always travel to tourneys together, just like old times!

TidusAni

Smash Apprentice
only three months until i'm back in the game. im hungry for smash... please **** me, everyone! shaz and i made a pact to always travel to tourneys together, just like old times!
looked like i picked a good time to come back, about a year of training ahead so i might finally be able to catch you two :)

Splice

Smash Hero
Toshiba
Dean
Tibs
Earl

Team with me please

And if none of you can, my last resort

JOEY???!

Toshi

Smash Journeyman
Oh, forgot to get a team partner.

Hey Dean, wanna team?

EDIT: Just watched the video. That Mario DI was actually pretty nice, especially the second stock.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Toshi I would like to win a tournament this year. But maybe not this one, maybe I should team with whoever I'm likely to team with at SummerSmash? I don't know.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Sure. But my brother will probably wanna enter to, so if anyone wants to team up with him.

Splice

Smash Hero
nice video Jezza, not too bad at all.
I'd say you need to mix up your fireballs a bit; you always do a full hop fireball.
You zone nicely with it, but if you vs character with better aerial mobility they are going to work around it if you always do it.

Don't forget the power of empty jumps; you dont always have to do a move, and when they go up to punish the move they expect, because you have no lag you can do any move you want. That is just one mixup you can use to avoid people figuring out your fireball habits in the first stock. Don't get me wrong, you use fireball quite well, it's just you have some habits with it that people may catch onto.

I only watched two minutes of the video coz im capped
Will be good to see you at the tournament, you are a decent player. I think you may have some habits that you will let go of after coming to 2 or 3 tournaments, and then I think you could do very well.

What characters do you use other than Mario?

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
what do you guys think of me vs my bro. i am mario he is pikachu.

Just mute the sound coz i can't get the sound to work properly on my capture card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWiB...xt=C381e603UDOEgsToPDskLTlLHCAHevFvdqHie18AZz
You guys are at the stage of continuous spotdodge downsmash; now because of this no one wants to grab because they will just spotdodge it. so you need to use a move that will punish the spotdodge or the harder alternative of waiting for the spotdodge to finish while holding shield and punish the lag afterwards. if they start shielding then start grabbing, if they start attacking then either spotdodge, roll away or shield -> punish.
You guys are also throwing out a ton of attacks which can normally be countered by simply shield grabbing, which is holding shield, wait for the attack to hit it then press 'A' while shielding to grab them. Shields are really good in this game to counter attack if used right.

Hope this helps and I'm not just talking gibberish, lol.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
spotdodge downsmash?

tibs still does that and he's one of the best in aus lolol
Bad Habbit, less bad on diddy cos both his spoddodge and Dsmash are ****. I would just nado or shorthop -> Nair tibs whenever he did that and so he adapted to stay away from the situation completely with nanas and Fair. Guess he keeps using it for as long as people can't punish it. Also he mixes it up with no-spotdodge -> grab a lot when people start catching onto what he's doing. Am I wrong?

Splice

Smash Hero
Tibs is a baddie

He just uses Diddy

Attila are you telling me that Tibs ISN'T a scrub?

Splice

Smash Hero
spotdodge downsmash is so popular it's actually a category of skill level in brawl
Everyone goes through this phase.

Unless they use snake, gl hitting people with that.

jezza_10

Smash Apprentice
okay guys thanks for the tips. me and my brother have always played like this and i know if i go to these tourneys i will learn more things. I remember having a series of friendly matches with earl and he always beat me because he told me i overused the spotdodge and he could easily find a way to counter it. that was a LONG time ago, probably a full year. I have not been to one of these tourneys since january last year. (except for the manifest one, i entered and cosplayed as ike)

I've only just recently started playing mario, i go through different main characters all the time. I like to use Mario, R.O.B, Ike, King dedede and sometimes marth. I don't focus on playing one character because whenever i play brawl i always go random because we always play for fun and random matches. If i took the time to focus on one or two characters. It may be a bit easier.

I don't live in melbourne so I can't come to every tourney but I will come to the ones I can.

I can also bring a tv + brawl setup + hacked brawl for some lols :)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
okay guys thanks for the tips. me and my brother have always played like this and i know if i go to these tourneys i will learn more things. I remember having a series of friendly matches with earl and he always beat me because he told me i overused the spotdodge and he could easily find a way to counter it. that was a LONG time ago, probably a full year. I have not been to one of these tourneys since january last year. (except for the manifest one, i entered and cosplayed as ike)

I've only just recently started playing mario, i go through different main characters all the time. I like to use Mario, R.O.B, Ike, King dedede and sometimes marth. I don't focus on playing one character because whenever i play brawl i always go random because we always play for fun and random matches. If i took the time to focus on one or two characters. It may be a bit easier.

I don't live in melbourne so I can't come to every tourney but I will come to the ones I can.

I can also bring a tv + brawl setup + hacked brawl for some lols :)
have you ever considered extending your stay for tournies and crashing a smasher's place? from my own experiences, i learn more outside a tourney than inside it.

jezza_10

Smash Apprentice
have you ever considered extending your stay for tournies and crashing a smasher's place? from my own experiences, i learn more outside a tourney than inside it.
I have.. but i work 30 hours a week and my days vary, sometimes i have weekends off sometimes i dont. Plus i dont live in melbourne. Im not sure when i would be able to stay at a smashers place. im busy on the 29th of jan and im working late the 27th of jan, then i got a mates 18th the weekend after. so its really hard to work around all that.

Top Bottom