• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
So you're telling me that I can do this into DACIT galaxian and bell? And possibly make my grab a little less ****ty?

What a time to be alive
Pac-Man's sliding grab goes farther than Toon Link's, soooo yeah, Pac-Man can cover a good amount of distance with the slide.

To put into perspective, Toon Link can land in the middle of Smashville, slide, and grab someone at the edge. Enjoy.

Kung Fu Treachery

Smash Apprentice
Wow, folks, that last one was the saltiest post I've ever written by a mile. Which isn't to say that I take anything back about the design issues of needles, but, yeah, I'm mad. Sometimes I feel like Smash can turn a man into Silky Johnson.

"First off, I would like to thank Masahiro Sakurai for givin' everybody so much, and me so little."

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
So there's something that's been bothering me for a while about most tier lists, Japanese AND American, and I have to ask... why is :4bowser: rated higher than :4charizard:? They are similar characters in a lot of ways, but Zard has a better oos game, a better kill throw, a combo throw (at low percents,) a better jab, better grab range, better grounded mobility, better tilts, disjoints on his wings, a move with 5 frame armor that can do up to 30% damage at low percents and kill at high percents, and a better recovery. I know Bowser often gets PLAYED more, but is there something I'm missing as to why he's consistently considered a better character than Charizard?

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
Aside from being "easy," I really think :4fox: is one of the biggest winners of 1.1.1:

In 1.1.0, Fox lost to Rosa, Luigi, Sheik and maybe ZSS (ordered in descending difficulty). Camping Luigi is a viable strategy for Fox now because Luigi's reward is no longer absurd, and so the Fox player is no longer required to be near-flawless. Sheik is probably still bad, but it was never terrible in the first place so that's OK really. ZSS may have gotten worse, but that's actually still better for Fox because he'd much rather fight her than Rosa. And since ZSS basically counters Rosa, Fox should be less likely to encounter her in bracket.

This character has one noticeably bad MU (which shouldn't be as common if people tier ***** ZSS), a slight uphill climb against Sheik/ZSS (but really, few characters don't), and then he's probably even or better against everyone else, including other characters that people agree are frightening. I really can't blame players if they want to bandwagon him now.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon

Every character can do this, with varying degrees of success.

However, as far as utility goes this could help Link and Toon Link significantly beyond the Ftilt and grab. The slide also works with item tosses, and so Link can get Bomb -> Uair/Fair strings when he couldn't before, and Toon Link can guarantee he gets them all the time, pretty much. Toon Link also gets massive coverage with his Usmash, and even moreso when Jump Canceled. A very nifty maneuver.
Greninja, goes the farthest (not counting Monado Shulk), has probably the worst standing grab in the game.

Such is life.

Though, at least we can use this with F-Tilt which should be great.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924

However, as far as utility goes this could help Link and Toon Link significantly beyond the Ftilt and grab. The slide also works with item tosses, and so Link can get Bomb -> Uair/Fair strings when he couldn't before, and Toon Link can guarantee he gets them all the time, pretty much. Toon Link also gets massive coverage with his Usmash, and even moreso when Jump Canceled. A very nifty maneuver.
This isn't a basic option that everyone knows about? People have been adding their momentum into turnarounds from the air as long as I can remember.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

I don't know if this is you but that voice is so silky smooth. Feels sooooo good.

This isn't a basic option that everyone knows about? People have been adding their momentum into turnarounds from the air as long as I can remember.
Yeah I'm sure many people noticed this (at least I am very familiar with it) but the point of this video is to show you which characters should be taking more advantage of it and in general more detail about it.

Was this in Brawl?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah I'm sure many people noticed this (at least I am very familiar with it) but the point of this video is to show you which characters should be taking more advantage of it and in general more detail about it.

Was this in Brawl?
Some people added their own kooky name to it, but it was a general option to add some distance from landings. I know I used this a lot as Ike so that I could pressure with a bair or land and execute a turnaround jab. I see numerous players doing this when I watch streams as well, so I never knew it wasn't known.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Too bad Ike's slide in this game is garbage outside of up-tilt.

RIP tech
His slide is decent, but he has too many moves that stop his slide now like jab and grab, and his walk is slower. He gets a medium slide for dtilt and I guess utilt/ftilt too, but that's it.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
His slide is decent, but he has too many moves that stop his slide now like jab and grab, and his walk is slower. He gets a medium slide for dtilt and I guess utilt/ftilt too, but that's it.
Our standing grab is already horrid, so I guess there's no reason for us to use it outside of d-tilt/u-tilt.

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
You're going to have to explain that.

Except for results, Dark Pit doesn't distinguish himself from Pit in any noteworthy way.
Hey, what's up guys. It's been a while since I've been active on Smashboards.

Wintropy, I would like to play devils advocate and pose why I could see the Pits being in separate tiers. As someone who was a Dark Pit main that rarely played Pit until recently I feel qualified to make this argument.

We all know the small differences in the two Pit's. Pit does a percent less here or there in exchange for more knock-back. The Arrows, Side Special and Forward Tilt are also different, but their game plans and play style are almost identical, which is why we typically lump them together.

Here are the real advantages Pit has over Dark Pit:
  • Increased knock-back allows for slightly earlier kills including tipper Forward Tilt which kills much earlier than Dark Pit and is vital to his meta.
  • The Pits use FTilt to space as a disjointed poke with good range. Pivot FTilt is one of the Pits staples and is used to catch landings, approaches, and rolls. Being able to net a kill off a tipper is no small potatoes.
  • Increased Arrow control allows Pit to maintain constant pressure on opponents in the air, forcing air dodges and allowing for superior landing traps when compared to Dark Pit. Aside from traps Pit's arrows can chase drop-zone recoveries and steal jumps for gimps.
  • Aside from a few characters and situations Pit's Side Special is a more consistent kill option. Killing off the top and at lower percents makes up for the occasional early kill Electroshock can net right at the edge.
All that said, I could only see them being a tier apart if there were still only a few characters in between them. Pit is appreciably better IMO though. The arrows alone make him more "whole". It's not a coin flip.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Not trying to be rude, but what's with the 10 difference spot placements between Pit and D-Pit that I keep seeing? Aren't they pretty much the same character aside from 3 moves?

EDIT: Just saw the no order part; my bad. Still, though, aren't they close enough to be placed the same?

Also, damn, poor Kirby. DX
Arrows really are that important I'd say. Being able to redirect them to a significant degree helps a ton with recovery, makes stealing double jumps, well, possible, actually works as an anti-camp projectile, tons of follow-up applications... You get the picture.

More versatile arrows and more reliable killing sideb give Pit an edge over DP imo. What benefits are there to DP's arrows? Anti-luma?
Very slightly more damage and then more KB on top of it. Basically nothing, really.

Dark Pit should share a spot with Pit.
Fixed.

Really though, it's not worth wasting time talking about how big the gap is when they're used interchangeably... Okay, I don't think Dark Pit is going to move Pit up more then a spot, but it's more accurate to how people play them.

Kinda like giving Pokemon Trainer's mons separate tier spots, but less "how do you play them separately?" and more "why would you play them separately?"

I had this whole thing typed up before I realized it wasn't ordered within tiers. Yeah, I can gel with that tier list. I feel like if it weren't for Earth though Pit might be down one tier.
Kinda surprised everybody isn't in an uproar over how high Pit is...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm a bit surprised at Ganon's placement. I can't imagine Japan not having Ganon rep seeing as they have Gungnir, unarguably one of the best Ganon's and quite possibly the best period. I've heard he hasn't gone to many tournaments though, and even then, Vermanubis and Ray_Kalm may have surpassed him at some point. Does Japan have any tourney-heavy Ganon's? A2ZOMG A2ZOMG

As for the character himself, Ganon has his issues, but I'd never place him in the same tier as Zelda, Jiggs, and Samus. I'd honestly put him in B-/B+ if it were up to me, but I suppose it really depends on the semantics of the tiers themselves, what the cutoff for viability is. Even then, Ganon's viability is trapped in "maybe-sort-of-sometimes-viable" limbo due to how drastic the difference between "doing well" and "doing badly" is with Ganon.

Ganon's viability in two sentences: When Ganon is winning, he's top tier. When he's losing, he's rock bottom.

And Ganon is the best sword character ever :ganondorf:
Japan is also pretty stacked, and Gungnir doesn't attend much offline. I actually don't think I know of any offline Ganon tournament players in Japan, to be blatantly honest.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
The meta for Japan doesn't work well for Ike. He's also criminally underrepresented there.

It helps us NA Ikes because buffs kek

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Ike and especially Robin are criminally underrated, but oh well. It works out for him anyway if Japan thinks he's still fairly mediocre.
Pretty sure the buffs are running out for these characters... Considering that Marth and Lucina got nerfed even though they're typically seen as bad characters.

They're not stupid. Ike's not going to become a god because Japan doesn't care about him. Actually, Robin might end up nerfed next patch just to balance out the new shield mechanics.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ike won't become a god if he gets a workable down smash, or a D-Air that isn't abysmal.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Ike won't become a god if he gets a workable down smash, or a D-Air that isn't abysmal.
I also don't think the dev team is going to "fix" these moves because they're intentionally bad. (Namely Dair looking at the nerfs.) I think we've all accepted that Samus isn't getting a jab that really links at this point.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I also don't think the dev team is going to "fix" these moves because they're intentionally bad. (Namely Dair looking at the nerfs.) I think we've all accepted that Samus isn't getting a jab that really links at this point.
uhh

No. Ike's changes are based around the dev team either changing things that didn't work, or making moves better so they actually get used

aka Up Air.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Speaking of bad down airs... do you know how badly I wanted Roy before he went for sale to have the Melee/Brawl down air? Man that animation was smooth. Of course, frame 6 is a really fast spike in a game so much more "fair" so they'd have to slow it down a couple/few frames. And then Roy would have a Ken combo except with WAY better air speed than Melee Marth or Roy.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
It feels kind of weird to single out Ike's D-Air as bad when practically EVERY character that's not Peach, Kirby, Fox, Mario, Luma, or Pit (and probably someone else, but I forgot) has a pretty mediocre to awful D-Air.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
uhh

No. Ike's changes are based around the dev team either changing things that didn't work, or making moves better so they actually get used

aka Up Air.
And those were in the earlier patches... Just look at 1.0.0, the game was rushed. When was the last time Ike got a real game changer directly? Four major patches ago? If anything they don't want him to be much better in FFAs.

Just don't think people should be expecting changes for anybody at this point. (Besides nerfing new stuff like Aura Sphere on shield but whatever.)

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
It feels kind of weird to say single out Ike's D-Air as bad when practically EVERY character that's not Peach, Kirby, Fox, Mario, Luma, or Pit (and probably someone else, but I forgot) has a pretty mediocre to awful D-Air.
Luigi's is pretty nifty if for the spike properties. Very useful out of a D throw for a free nair followup. I wouldn't call that mediocre.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Mind refreshing me on what changed?
Knockback properties changed (KBG 100 to 94; BK 40 to 55); overall, the move does more knockback compared to how it was previously.

Luigi's is pretty nifty if for the spike properties. Very useful out of a D throw for a free nair followup. I wouldn't call that mediocre.
That reminds me, how good was Luigi's D-Air buff?

Also, I heard Mewtwo's D-Air was pretty okay.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
Speaking of Dairs... I would say Swordfighter's Dair is one of the better dairs. It is extreamly powerful and one of his better kill moves (or moves in general). Multihit which can spike and has a weird "shockwave" like properties when landing just like with Ganondorf's and Faptain's Down-B. It has some landing lag so it is not super safe on shield, but from time to time I have seen it deal enough shield damage that when the "shockwave" part hits it damages foes toes.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Knockback properties changed (KBG 100 to 94; BK 40 to 55); overall, the move does more knockback compared to how it was previously.

That reminds me, how good was Luigi's D-Air buff?

Also, I heard Mewtwo's D-Air was pretty okay.
Well his Dair spike hitbox pre patch was already good and set up very well from a D throw at mid to early-late %, and now it's spike hitbox is even bigger. Unfortunately, it no longer sets up as well from a D throw tdue to the properties changes, but still does at more specific %. So really, it kind of balances out to be the same. Although I like using F throw now [despite still being a underwhelming move,] to get opponents off stage for the dair spike. It still messes up Falcon, Robin and Fox to list a few even easier now.

M2's dair is...ok. Not his worst move [Disable] but not his best [Shadow ball/Dash attack/D tilt...dash attack is severely underrated.] But usable.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Pretty sure the buffs are running out for these characters... Considering that Marth and Lucina got nerfed even though they're typically seen as bad characters.

They're not stupid. Ike's not going to become a god because Japan doesn't care about him. Actually, Robin might end up nerfed next patch just to balance out the new shield mechanics.
Heaven forbid, lol

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Wintropy, I would like to play devils advocate and pose why I could see the Pits being in separate tiers. As someone who was a Dark Pit main that rarely played Pit until recently I feel qualified to make this argument.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

To be honest, I think you're massively overstating their differences. There's some distinction, yeah, but to say that Pit is an entire tier better because he has a more consistent f-tilt and arrows is...irrational, in my opinion. Maybe a space or two apart, but a whole tier is a bit intense.

That said, we can't disregard the fact that Dark Pit's Electroshock is better for dealing with Rosalina. Having an advantage against the consistent top-tier threat that she is, that's quite impressive.

I'd say it means about as much as "weaker f-tilt and arrows", being fair.

EDIT: I think we should drop it there, I don't think people really care about angelic semantics, ha ha~

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Aside from being "easy," I really think :4fox: is one of the biggest winners of 1.1.1:

In 1.1.0, Fox lost to Rosa, Luigi, Sheik and maybe ZSS (ordered in descending difficulty). Camping Luigi is a viable strategy for Fox now because Luigi's reward is no longer absurd, and so the Fox player is no longer required to be near-flawless. Sheik is probably still bad, but it was never terrible in the first place so that's OK really. ZSS may have gotten worse, but that's actually still better for Fox because he'd much rather fight her than Rosa. And since ZSS basically counters Rosa, Fox should be less likely to encounter her in bracket.

This character has one noticeably bad MU (which shouldn't be as common if people tier ***** ZSS), a slight uphill climb against Sheik/ZSS (but really, few characters don't), and then he's probably even or better against everyone else, including other characters that people agree are frightening. I really can't blame players if they want to bandwagon him now.
I'm not sure I agree entirely with this post. What about Ness? Easy to use (and therefore easy to pocket) character who is likely advantaged against Fox, arguably beats ZSS as well and only really struggled a little with Luigi and greatly with Rosa. The rise of ZSS (and your predicted fall of Rosa) only benefits this character, so he's probably a bigger winner from this patch. On top of that, I think the Luigi nerfs are enough to tip matchups like Ness, Diddy and likely Pikachu out of Luigi's favour but I don't suddenly see Fox winning that matchup. Luigi's reward is still excellent particularly on fast fallers and Fox was never particularly susceptible to dthrow cyclone or jab jab shoryuken. I've always felt that the matchup was in Luigi's favour even without dthrow bair and that's really the only matchup-specific thing he lost in 1.1.0

Fox is very very good and a candidate for top 6 in the game but he's certainly (in my eyes) disadvantaged against both Ness (non-trivially) and Luigi (slightly) in addition to the 3 characters you mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

To be honest, I think you're massively overstating their differences. There's some distinction, yeah, but to say that Pit is an entire tier better because he has a more consistent f-tilt and arrows is...irrational, in my opinion. Maybe a space or two apart, but a whole tier is a bit intense.

That said, we can't disregard the fact that Dark Pit's Electroshock is better for dealing with Rosalina. Having an advantage against the consistent top-tier threat that she is, that's quite impressive.

I'd say it means about as much as "weaker f-tilt and arrows", being fair.

EDIT: I think we should drop it there, I don't think people really care about angelic semantics, ha ha~
I don't really think Dark Pit's placement on any tier list matters at all. He's a straight up worse version of Pit in almost every imaginable situation and is unique (grrr:4drmario::4lucina:) in that he is literally 100% completely and totally irrelevant in all but one, maybe two matchups. If somebody picks Dark Pit you only need to keep 3 things vaguely in mind in addition to whatever understanding of Pit you already have, those being "ftilt won't kill, side-b sends horizontally, arrows do more damage but can't be aimed as precisely". Compared to Pit, his advantage is worse, his disadvantage is marginally worse, his neutral is significantly worse and (almost) every single one of his matchups is noticeably harder for Pittoo than it would be for Pit. I do believe they should be in the same tier as they are the same character, but there can be any number of characters in between them (although I'd imagine it would be 0). Perhaps if we had a more Rosa-centric meta we'd be discussing how many places Pit would be below Pittoo, but as it stands neither this character nor this discussion is going anywhere.

ps. nice edit i agree entirely (with most of your post for that matter, i don't even know what i'm rambling about)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
M2's dair is...ok. Not his worst move [Disable] but not his best [Shadow ball/Dash attack/D tilt...dash attack is severely underrated.] But usable.
Disable may be tough to land but at least it's fast enough to be able to when the opportunity presents itself, and can reward Mewtwo with a very early kill. If I had to name his worst move, it'd probably be ftilt by virtue of being mostly outclassed by dtilt.

Dair is only really used for edgeguarding, a surprise attack on tall characters or punishing a whiffed anti-air.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Lol, has anyone noticed how so many characters seem to have bad landing options?

BTW out of curiosity what characters that are at least upper mid and below seem to at least stand a chance to a few of top tiers?
Kirby is a decent option for Shiek,Fox,ZSS(debatable), Falcon,Ness(debatable) but mainly struggles with Yoshi the most.
I keep forgetting whos considered top tiers besides those guys.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Fox still loses to Luigi and is still even with ZSS imo.

Rosalina is pretty rare and Fox fairs solidly enough in all the other matchups so he's pretty popular just about everywhere. I dunno if more ZSS would lead to [even] less Rosalina and even more Fox as a consequence.

Also, Fox loses to Ryu.

What about Ness? Easy to use (and therefore easy to pocket) character who is likely advantaged against Fox [...]

Fox is very very good and a candidate for top 6 in the game but he's certainly (in my eyes) disadvantaged against both Ness (non-trivially) [...]
Where do you get that idea from? Fox does certainly not lose to Ness.

It's Rosalina > Ryu > Luigi/Sheik in terms of losing matchups for Fox, everything else is even or in his favor. [Except Yoshi who totally completely destroys Fox in the worst way possible except nobody actually wants to believe it!]

:059:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
It feels kind of weird to single out Ike's D-Air as bad when practically EVERY character that's not Peach, Kirby, Fox, Mario, Luma, or Pit (and probably someone else, but I forgot) has a pretty mediocre to awful D-Air.
Link also has one of the better dairs in the game, or at the very least has a good one.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Pit's arrows make a huge difference in almost any match-up. You can interrupt recoveries with it and you do a lot of damage just from them. I think it's justified that Pit is one tier higher just from that alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom