• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VaNz Stuff.. about Peach (Tactical Discussion)

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Peach players just need more Falcon matchup practice. I wish GG7 played more because I was learning the matchup so quickly and I still think I'm pretty good at it. :3

BladeWise

Smash Lord
What annoys me most about the matchup is, anytime he decides to jump in your relative direction, you are pretty much forced to allow him do what he wants because no option is worth taking a knee.

I do need to practice the matchup more. I've lost to S2J the past three OoS tournaments (Genesis 2, Apex 2012, Rule 6 Regional).
One thing that I'm interested in experimenting with more is SDI'ing the gentleman behind Falcon. Typically, trying to shield grab Falcon is bad, but if I SDI behind him, I think I'd have some pretty good options.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, it sucks that we always have to give up space vs him. Like....always. And that his downthrow gives him really free combos on us. And his uair is such an awesome anti-air. It's pretty much a matchup that we kind of have to play really defensively/bait heavy, because we can't really initiate something. At the very least, we hit him really hard, and edgeguarding isn't a problem. I just find it really exhausting to have to try to get to that point.

All that aside, it's probably not too far off from being even. I just don't know why.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
mango's ability to cut off options with any character he uses is absurd

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Mango is a great player, but honestly it's just his ability to adapt and change. Atma, if you have the confidence to do well against all other Falcons then you know the matchup really well and you know how to fight against falcon on a high level of play. I know it's sometimes terrifying to fight against the big "pros" but if we don't get out of the mentality that they "JUST KNOW WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO AT ALL TIMES" we are never going to beat them much less get on their level.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
That mindset is excellent

against everyone but Mango.

Like I understand what you're trying to say, but when you play with/against/listen to mango you realize that hes really on another level.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Doesn't matter, when you put yourself in that mindset then you widen the gap between the two even greater than the gap already is. It kind of upsets me people just accept defeat before they even play their match. Mango is a phenomenal player but he's just like anyone he can be beaten.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
I think you're being really naive in regards to this matter.

Being realistic in no means takes away from someones confidence.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
There's matches where I know I won't win for now, but that won't keep me from trying my very best (like in every tournament match). If he does worse than expected I might get lucky and win, if not I've gotten a serious match against a great opponent, which I can try to analyze afterwards and try to see what he did better than I did (e.g. if he's knowing my every move, then I probably need to switch stuff up some more and/or work on being less predictable :D).

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I think you're being really naive in regards to this matter.

Being realistic in no means takes away from someones confidence.
I believe beating mango or anyone for that matter is in the realm of possibility. Could you maybe explain to me what separates him from every other smasher?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
He is better at playing this game. :D

Sure, everyone can be defeated. But if any of us who isn't called Armada goes into a match with Mango and actually expects to win, he's just being delusional. (Go away KK or whoever else (of the top players who actually stand a chance) stalks this thread and doesn't really play Peach ;) )

AustinRC

Smash Lord
You think it's impossible for someone else to get on that same level? I'm just asking like you seriously believe no one will EVER get on his level? I think that's a bit crazy.

~Twitch~

Smash Master
cullowhee, nc western carolina university
He is better at playing this game. :D

Sure, everyone can be defeated. But if any of us who isn't called Armada goes into a match with Mango and actually expects to win, he's just being delusional. (Go away KK or whoever else (of the top players who actually stand a chance) stalks this thread and doesn't really play Peach ;) )
with that mentality yeah, you're right. no one except armada will ever beat mango and the metagame will stagnate.

but anyone has the power to change it if they make the commitment and put in the effort. if you put things in this black-and-white nonchalant quality as if it's common knowledge that no one except armada will EVER beat mango then obviously no one will beat mango because no one will expect to.

austin i enjoyed that book you left me and kevin a lot. :)

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I do write in the same post that I think there's other players (not only Armada) who stand a chance right now... :(
And the one before that, that one should try his best in every game and if the implying wasn't enough, here in literal form: not trying ones best in a tough match is just stupid.

There's just nothing wrong with being realistic and not really expecting to win. One shouldn't let that bother himself during the match, though (:

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
I never said it was impossible for others to reach Mangos level, its recognizing where you are that defines realistic and delusional.

When I play Mango, I go in trying to win but I still know that at our current levels he can play much better than me. This is my thought process whenever I play someone who is better than me.

darkatma

Smash Hero
I completely agree with Alan

I don't try any the less against a player I know for sure is better than me, but I also don't go in expecting to win.\

Since Armada is in this thread, Armada could you critique my peach vs marth matchup, I need help with it. I'm going to get recorded with a good marth soon hopefully, either pewpewu or shroomed's marths.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
We need to like sit down and brain storm on stupid MUs next smashfest atma.

Cuz like, **** Marth and all that wackness.

Armada

Smash Lord
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
"Every champion was once a contender that refused to give up"

Beeing realistic is overrated and many times hold you down, beeing unrealistic and not beeing able to handle the pain holds you down even more. Beeing unrealistic and handle all the situations that meets you on the way is the way for winners.

To become a champion you have to think like a champion and believe that you actually can win when the odds are against you. It's easy to have confident when the other player is way worse but it's when the opponent is better you can show the confident you truly have.

Beating Mango is NOT easy and it takes years of practice but having the mindset of "he is better" is not the best way if you ask me.

Atma: Send me matches in a PM when you want me to do that. I have time now too if you want some fast respons.

Armada

Smash Lord
Oh god, he sounds like Kage...
Kage probably has a good mindset then. Not surprised when he ends up on great spots with Ganon... XD

But on a serious note. I think that way of thinking is really important if you wanna be better because "he is better" puts you in a worse spot.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
How so?

When I play someone better, I still strive to win, but I know im going to have to elevate my game to beat them.

Moreover, if I lose to them I never say "its fine because they're better than me". I evaluate how they beat me and where I can improve my game.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I mean, I can't really comment on that. All I was trying to say is that it's possible for mango to be beaten and that you shouldn't go into a match thinking "I'm going to lose because I'm playing X player." But yeah haha :D

Mr P

Smash Ace
How so?

When I play someone better, I still strive to win, but I know im going to have to elevate my game to beat them.

Moreover, if I lose to them I never say "its fine because they're better than me". I evaluate how they beat me and where I can improve my game.
Because by setting the condition of saying "whatever i do i know the opponent is better" Is only limiting yourself and your own potential. There is a difference between respecting your opponent and respecting yourself and by saying that you cannot win you are only limiting and disrespecting yourself. If you dont believe something is possible however difficult the task you will NEVER achieve your goal.

Armada

Smash Lord
The fact that you strive to win is good and the part about improveing is even better.
I just think that beforehand give yourself disadvantage by thinking "he is better" gives you a worse chance to actually beat him.

A good strategy that many ahlets uses is "visualizeing" that means you basically before hand "see" the moment before it happens. You can picture yourself winning and the feeling coming from this makes you feel better and more confident. I can't really see someone picture himself winning when he thinks someone else is better. Saying those words is basically throwing away this picture from the begining.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Thinking a bit about it, makes be believe there's pretty much two sides to it:

If you think your emotions don't affect your play, you can happily admit that the opponent is better and still try your best to beat his ***.
But if you do think that you might be affected by that sort of thing, you'd better not believe that he might be better for a single second.

I personally really don't care whether my opponent is better or not during the match. If his previous playing leads me to believe he is going to fall for some stupid WD back downsmash or sth in a given situation, I'm going for it no matter how big of a name he has. No respect for them during the match whatsoever :D

Wake

Smash Master
Of course it's possible for Mango to be beaten. We've seen in a few times by a couple different players now. I more just try to think about the character when I play someone better than me. I don't care how good you are, you won't be doing anything that your character can't do, so I just try to fight the character and hope for the best lol. Armada's Peach is still just Peach. Mango's Falco is still just Falco. M2K's Sheik is still just Sheik. That mindset calms me down if I'm nervous about playing a specific player. That being said, Armada still destroyed me in our friendly at Apex hahaha.

Armada

Smash Lord
Xyzz: Emotions/how you think before the match and how you handle pressure during the game matters.

The people that try to say it dosen't don't know the truth. I have actually seen patterns from players that gets really angry during friendlis and how that effect their game during tournament too (cause if they can't hold back emotions in friendlis it is even harder in tournaments).

And a good thing to remember is that pretty much everyone that is crazy good in sports/games exc have that thing about mentallity in common. They trust in what they do and no one is better. Ofc we have people that donät have much confident and that happens in every game/sport but for the most part no.

M2k is a perfect example of a great player with bad confident exc and it's honestly not weird that he usually ends up loseing last game moments and set against players that has been beating him kinda much in the past.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Because by setting the condition of saying "whatever i do i know the opponent is better" Is only limiting yourself and your own potential. There is a difference between respecting your opponent and respecting yourself and by saying that you cannot win you are only limiting and disrespecting yourself. If you dont believe something is possible however difficult the task you will NEVER achieve your goal.
At no point did I say I go in thinking I cant win.

People seem to be thinking that im saying because I realize that this player is better than me, I someone dont try my hardest to still win, which is far from the truth.

When I play, I play from within myself. I dont think "man, this player is so good" and then get intimidated. In that same vein, im also not thinking "wow this guy is gonna be a push over" and then underestimate them. I know that when im playing someone better than me, I need to be on my A-game and when im playing someone worse than me, I just need to stay consistent.

I also draw inspiration from athletes, and thats what my above game plan comes from.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think people make the mistake of thinking 'betterness' is so concrete. But that gets into a lot of nonsense I don't really want to explain. Because it's personal, zany, etc.

~Twitch~

Smash Master
cullowhee, nc western carolina university
I think people make the mistake of thinking 'betterness' is so concrete. But that gets into a lot of nonsense I don't really want to explain. Because it's personal, zany, etc.
dude i live with kevin...

so please share those personal, zany thoughts cuz i'd love to hear them. **** man i'm in high school, i don't got ish better to do. :)

@austin: idk if you're unhappy about what you started cuz i personally think it's awesome. it's nice to see positivity on the boards instead of just bland results/theory/technical-based intellectualism...that stuff gets boring to read sometimes.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Im not sad or upset Ive never really debated something though but I strongly believe this to be a proper mentality for every aspect in life. It's what separates successful people from mediocrity. I'm also not saying that if you just think it it will come true, that is part of it but you need to practice and work hard for it but the positive attitude will help you further your success.

:phone:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
"Whether you think you can or not, you're probably right"

I always go into matches with the mentality that I will win. Not in an overconfident way, and I'm not upset when I lose, but to go in expecting a loss can make you play worse.

john!

Smash Hero
i have the opposite approach, to be honest.

against players that are better than me, i tend to expect a loss and play in a relaxed mood. this has gotten me several big upsets against quite good players.

on the other hand, when i play players that are slightly worse than me, i get HUGE nerves (what if i lose to this *****?? people will think he's better than me!) and it has cost me some tight matches against players that i could definitely beat most of the time. this happens at very big tourneys too, on occasion.

now that i think about it, my mentality might be part of the reason why i'm such a wildly inconsistent player.

Top Bottom