• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
Goggles has sent me here to find housing for Apex. I would highly appreciate any help from you guys. I got everything taken care of...just need some form of housing. I'm flying into Newark and then taking the NJ transit to New Brunswick. Or at least that was the original plan lol

:phone:
I thought your name was technical cheese because of color = cheddar.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
LMAO.

I do love cheddar cheese not even gonna lie.

@Goggles: Yeah I'll be lurkin and such. I won't let the chance to spank you in our MM just walk away from me after all ;)

Patches

Smash Master
Sup smashers of NY.

There's this sick *** tournament coming up in Toronto, Ontario on the 26th. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=313196

Anyways. I'm curious to ask if theres anyone interested in coming down to it? If someone decides to drive up to this, I can house anyone that comes. Currently, I'm already housing (probably) Technical_Chase from Michigan.

Or if anyone takes a bus up, I'm sure you'll find someone in Toronto who would be willing to house you guys. (:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Sup smashers of NY.

There's this sick *** tournament coming up in Toronto, Ontario on the 26th. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=313196

Anyways. I'm curious to ask if theres anyone interested in coming down to it? If someone decides to drive up to this, I can house anyone that comes. Currently, I'm already housing (probably) Technical_Chase from Michigan.

Or if anyone takes a bus up, I'm sure you'll find someone in Toronto who would be willing to house you guys. (:
I suppose I would be interested in going, if I can be part of a carpool from around here going up there.

Patches

Smash Master
Do it up, atm we have around 50+ people going. a lot of Quebec is going to be there as well as Ontario's finest players.

If you can get a carpool, I can house, like I said. So just let me know! (:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I got linked to this thread with no explanation. Nor can I figure out why.

So yeah, go to that tourney Patches posted. Gonna be fantastic.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
If this came at any other time I'd be there in a heartbeat. I've always wanted to visit Toronto. Unfortunately I am poor as hell right now and that's an 8 hour drive for me. Also I don't have a passport/extended license so...

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Actually now I'm starting to wonder, since you two (Cura and Eevee) are supposedly quitting smash, is somebody else gonna gain control of this thread?

MetalPat

Smash Ace
i feel like goggles would want to, but i also would not mind running this (or splitting it with TGS). but i wouldnt really know how to go about picking who is gonna take over.

Xubble

Smash Ace
I'm thinking about doing a tournament in Corning/Elmira sometime before Apex. How many of you would be interested? I'm thinking sometime in the middle of December.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Hey, Flaw and Inty, we're going to be doing Smash club on Friday. It'll be a good deal smaller, but there'll still be people there. You'll just need to bring a TV if you can (it'd be really great if you could bring 2 of them).

MetalPat

Smash Ace
I'm thinking about doing a tournament in Corning/Elmira sometime before Apex. How many of you would be interested? I'm thinking sometime in the middle of December.
i would definitely show up if im in binghamton. its like 30 mins from my place so id go, but idk about others. PA would probably be apt to show up if you let them know soon enough.

EDIT: i also have no idea how it was run before cura, so for all i know goggles would be great, or trash. which is why I was hoping to help run it as well. whether doing it myself or helping someone else.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I'd recommend it going to either Goggles, san, or Alt.

Goggles didn't do a bad job with the PR imo, it just needed a larger panel. I liked how he updated it fairly frequently.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
I'd recommend it going to either Goggles, san, or Alt.

Goggles didn't do a bad job with the PR imo, it just needed a larger panel. I liked how he updated it fairly frequently.
id be game for that. i wouldnt mind san doing it, as i feel he would be extremely fair, but i also dont think he would have the time for it.

i agree to the panel being bigger and more updates. the only problem with updates is that we dont have enough tournaments. i like how cura has been doing it in reference to the amount of tournaments that have been held, definitely. if goggles wants to take it over then more power to him, i would definitely love to help in anyway possible.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna have to say Goggles as well, because he was all over them updates. Also, we should have a top 10 again. Right now the PR should be looking something like:

1. San
2. Cura
3. Neil
4. Goggles
5. Me/Vibe
6. Me/Vibe
7,8,9,10 idk lol

Btw, what ever happened to doctor g?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
He got into starcraft, and after like the second week of smash club at rit, he stopped coming. I think I stopped him out too hard, cause that was when I was on the warpath after ktar

MetalPat

Smash Ace
I'm gonna have to say Goggles as well, because he was all over them updates. Also, we should have a top 10 again. Right now the PR should be looking something like:

1. San
2. Cura
3. Vibe
4. Metalpat
5. TGS

Btw, what ever happened to doctor g?
as i do agree that cura and neil are better than alot of us, i would also argue that if there is a new PR made for the "spring" term, i dont think it should include people are are "quitting". it will inaccurately represent what people have to look forward to if they end up going to a NYS tournament.

if people came to a tournament expecting to see cura and neil and goggles, they wouldnt see them and be much more dissapointed to face the "number 7 and number 8". where if people like vibe TGS and I, who will remain active, are in the top 5, then it will more accurately represent the smash scene as it is, not as it was.

also, for whoever is taking over the scene, i have always had a problem with the correlation of "tournaments entered" and "placings". just because neil goes to one tournament per PR, doesnt mean he should really be ranked so much higher above someone like vibe, who places well enough and goes to multiple tournaments and stays active in the community. this goes back to me saying that "active" people should be on the PR, and those who only go to one tournament should have to work harder to get on.

I say this because i know in the NE PR, thay dont just base it on "pure skill", but also they do a point ranking system. they will rank people based the points they earned in that time period. beating higher ranked players in tournament or $5 (or more) mm would get you more points. the higher you place in tournaments would get you more points. this would get people to show up to more tournaments instead of going to one, placing well and saying "oh well im better than you". it takes away form the stats of the game. sure neil may be goggles at one tournament, lets say down to one hit third game, but he may have just been playing better that day. it doesnt account for other days or anything else.

these are the only like real issues i have had with the PR. i definitely think that taking it down to 5 people was a good decision, but i dont agree with the people that are on the current PR because of the facts that i stated in this post. these are reasons why i wanted to take over the PR, or help run the PR (and help run a point system or something).

tl;dr. you're a ****** and shouldnt talk to me about PR rankings if you didnt read this.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
If I got the PR I would make it a top 8 PR

1. San
2. Cura for probably only 1 PR.
3. Goggles if he wants to be on
4. Me
5. SMM1
6. JamesG
7. Pat
8. TGS

Then assuming Cura/Goggles don't want to be on

9. Sharky
10. Calm/Tyrant

Edit: Also, I would do the PR off of just observation of multiple things and try to be as least bias as possible.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
Lawl you guys.

Ok, here. Your best option for Brawl PR.

1. San (obviously)
2. Me (obviously)
3. Dudutsai (He's a funny guy)
4. Sharky (Also funny)
5. RTF (Have you seen his hair?)
6. Beta (Bromance)
7. Justin Wong (Obviously)
8. The guy who played Cotton from Pirates of the Caribbean (Obviously)
9. Leroy Mmmmmmmmmjenkins (He's got clout)
10. A jar of almonds (Surprising I know, but he's a solid player)

I feel this is fairly logical.

If the jar of almonds doesn't want to be on the PR I'd substitute him with Metal Pat.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure smm1 shouldn't be above me considering I beat him at AXS 3 and placed considerably higher than him. As for you Vibe, you've been more active than me, and have been placing pretty well as far as I've seen, which is the only reason I won't debate you being higher than me right now.

I don't know how this thing works with quitters, Cura has definitely racked up the tourney stats to be at about #2 imo, but if he's not playing anymore, I'm not sure how that affects things. In the end, I don't really care if I'm even on this.

Top Bottom