• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
So my bud at college stated he was the best Brawl Smasher there, so I challenged him to a 5 match set. And I clearly stated like three times you had to win 3/5 to win the set.

I won the first match with my D3 easily. And since I felt really confident in myself, I played the next two matches with my not-so-strong ICs and GW. I lost those two matches.

Then as I get ready to go back to D3, he shouts out, "Well, I'm the best! I won two of three!" I pointed out that said 5 match set like three times, and all he did was laugh and walk away.

I'm INCREDIBLY salty about it. The ***** made me out to be a scrub begging for matches. And I KNOW I could beat him with D3 if he used ANY character. ****ing coward...

Well, first of all, I would always try your best in all matches that you play. I'm still perplexed as to why people don't put their best effort in matches in the first place. Is it a way to flaunt off superiority? Who knows, but I have never really understood sandbagging and why people do it.

I don't think he'll take the bait. He has witnesses to him "beating me," so I don't think he'd give up his title just for a couple bucks.
And yeah, some people are gonna be like that. This reminds me of a time I played a game called Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 with my friend. I beat him like 100 times in a row (literally), but he finally ran into a match where I wasn't playing all that well and beat me. He then shut off the off the game, laughed, claimed he was better than me, and said he never wanted to play the game again. Yes, kind of lame and frustrating, but that's just how some people are. I would just move on from it, and deep down, if you know you're better, then you shouldn't have a problem with this.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
That doesn't even make sense to me. I'd go, "Wow, I got lucky today." I guess some people are just really...I don't even know what it is. But yeah, if you know the truth of the situation, then you should keep that close to you, despite what silly people say.

Xubble

Smash Ace
It's not like I was sandbagging for the lulz. I didn't want to go all out D3 for some reason. Hard to explain.

Xubble

Smash Ace
UPDATE: So I encountered my friend again, and I guess he honestly thought I said best 2 of 3. So he apologized, and we did an actual 5 set match today.

And I won.

Happiness = mine.

Xubble

Smash Ace
Bump. I wish I saved the replays, but all the matches went over 3:00, and we didn't have the technology to record. >_>

How the Set Went:

Xubble vs Golden

M1: D3 (L) vs Falco (W)
M2: Ganon (W) vs Olimar (L)
M3: D3 (W) vs Falco (L)
M4: IC (L) vs DK (W)
M5: D3 (W) vs ROB (L)

My Ganon *****, and my ICs suck (currently). >_>

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Goggles, where are them videos? Also, you going to Apex? That may be one I want to make before throwing in the towel in for Brawl.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Trying to figure out what I want to do with them. Maybe ill have pyro record them off my wii and put em up over the weekend.

ill let you know by tmr.

also, hells yes. im going and im ****** faces.
unfortunately MK wears a mask so he going to whoop me.... BUT FOR THE LAST TIME.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm sure if we both went, we'd be like:

Hey, who'd you lose to?
Oh, I lost to [Insert Name Here].
Who da eff is that?
Idk, some meta knight....

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
freakin garbage yo. I swear, If i lose to some random mk again, ima flip out.

pound 5 was alright tho. I fought almost no mks, and lost in bracket to two of the best snakes in the country so I couldnt even be mad.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Snake is hard for Sonic, he lives even longer Lucario, and can Sonic even do anything to get through his jab? Seems ridiculous to me. Looks like you need to practice with your Fox.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I mean... its a bad matchup, but 1. its nowhere near as bad as lucario, and 2. its definitely not bad enough to switch characters.

observe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn9eddcLUQw
^either number 2 or number 3 snake in NA
All 5 games that i had with these 2 guys were just as close as this one.

not to mention snake is also fun to fight

EDIT:
Ive noticed I have a bad habit of not finishing matches... Im not sure how to fix that...

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
He didn't even play the matchup how I would expect Snake to play it, but I he would know more than me though. Still, though, I'll have to try out my snake on you and TGS to see if my thoughts on this matchup are true.

Edit: Lucario Sonic isn't that bad! It would be even if Sonic could kill!

Edit: Yeah, I felt that you could've put me away in a lot of matches we played earlier, so you need to work on that. Like I said, even though every set was extremely close 2-1 wins, I felt that you were in control of the matches. A lot of people go in a mindwarp when they have the lead though. I don't want to tell you how many matches I took first stock off of Cura, and then ended up losing the match by playing poorly later (though, it can go two ways because he can argue he was playing exceptionally well later). Nonetheless, I need to be better as well.

Xubble

Smash Ace
I play safer when I'm losing. I'm pretty lax when I play until I feel like my lead is threatened. Then I actually make thoughtful decisions about what I do/how I react.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
No Cura, after first stock I change from JamesG to JamesFree. It's not like you thoughtfully modify your approach and strategy to successfully take control of the match or anything like that :cool:.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit over-amused by it because it was such a blatant name to come up with, yet nobody thought of it until now. Everyone knows I'm far from free, just wait til they fix up Lucarios recovery in smash wii u (or better yet, change him back to mewtwo).

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Quick update I feel is necessary for me personally.

Dear WNY Smashers,

I know it might seem like I've been sorta disconnected from the scene recently and I guess it's kinda true, but my motivation has not gone away, and I feel as though my Smash journey is really only beginning.

I have what most people would consider some pretty crazy views on life and the world, which is why it's difficult for me to explain to people sometimes. (Especially the "masses" who live their lives in complete reaction, and have stupidly strong convictions for no real reason other than the fact that they were derived from their childhood) But in short, I think life is one big experience, filled with multitudes of smaller, transitory experiences that shouldn't be judged as either good or bad, positive or negative. Rather, they should be reflected on, and the emotions felt in these transitory experiences should be analyzed and learned from in order to become better, stronger, smarter, in order to experience the emotion of "joy" as much as possible in our brief existence on this planet.

That's pretty deep, I know, but I set a goal to become the best player in the world at Melee, because Melee is my favorite thing to do at this point in my life, and I'm sure eventually I will leave it behind just as a child gets bored with his toys, but I don't feel that will be for a while. I still want to experience the feeling of being at the top of the mountain, and everything that comes along with it.

My Melee journey, in addition to me being obsessed and loving the game actually serves a huge purpose in my life. I do massive amounts of studying/research on my own. Most of my studies include the topics of people, culture, humanity, society and psychology, as I feel the most important aspect of succeeding in today's world is the ability to understand and deal with people effectively.

If you look at successful people in today's world, (well in general actually) from going from zero to hero, or from the bottom to top of any community or industry, psychologically, emotionally and mentally they all go through an identical process, which in short is just the process of going from low status to high status, and being able to psychologically deal with everything that comes with that. This is why it's almost always a curse more than a blessing to win the lottery, or to make it big in the music industry without a gradual progression to give your mind enough reference experiences along the way to learn from so that you can cope with everything that comes with it.

I know this probably sounds crazy to you guys, but I plan on making millions of dollars in the future, and knowing what I do about the way the world works, I want to be able to stand strong and think clearly and not be corrupted when I get to that point.

There's a point to all of this btw, just keep reading.

At this point in my life, my young 20's and possibly even to late 30's depending on how long I feel like enjoying this stage of my life, my first challenge is to break the "time = money" equation that most people have been led to believe is the proper way to acquire capital and spend their time.

I think I'm very close to making a lot of money with just a comparatively small amount of time invested, and once I get that first dose of success, I plan on replicating it over and over and spend the next 5-10 years of my life mastering this process while simultaneously travelling, seeing, experiencing and learning the world firsthand, (also accumulating massive wealth) and then after that I feel I'll be in a good position to make some crazy moves.

So that being said, that's where most of my time has gone to in addition to working on my health, but I still play Melee everyday at least for a little bit because my plan is that, in this first stage of my life to spend a lot of time travelling and playing Melee and hopefully rising to the top. I feel going through this process, I will learn a lot in addition to also being able to practice a lot of skills that will help me later on in my life in the process of going from low status to high status. And yes, the Melee community is very, very small compared to the rest of the world, but the concepts still apply regardless.

So I felt the need to post this to the rest of WNY because I've always had a weird connection with this region when it comes to Melee. I remember my second really big burst of motivation ever in Melee came from watching Neil lose to Plairnk in an old WNY tournament, and walk away smiling and happy and like nothing happened. I was like "How can he have no pride for the region he's supposed to be defending? People are comin in here and trashing us..." and since then I've always had WNY pride, even if I haven't always been able to defend the region or rep us as much as I've wanted to so far...But that part of my motivation is still there and it still keeps me playing, so to all of you WNY'ers that love Melee and even the Brawl players I don't really know or talk to that much, keep on playing and keep on attending whatever Smashfests you can. Melee's a crazy journey that, if you take seriously and go through everything you need to to get better at the game on a deep level, will actually teach you things that you'll most likely always use, conscious or subconsciously. Also, if anyone is awake right now, let's play :) 585-615-8756 - hit me up

-Jesse

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Usually when jesse gets into these moods where he gets all philosophical about life and such, I typically follow suit and post some of my deep and pensive thoughts on the world and the people I know and such.

But I dont feel like this thread and the people in it are the same as they were before to where it would really serve any purpose to get really deep like that. Mostly that Pats response kind of killed my motivation, and im pretty sure at least 2-3 more one liners are on their way from tommy and vibe and maybe a few others.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I already know what youre inner thoughts are.

Wow, that chick is cute, i bet shed be good in bed.

Wow, that dude is cute, i bet hed be good in bed.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Kyle- Yeah I feel you man. When I usually get in the mood to do a really long post I just tell myself that even if no one reads it/cares it'll serve as a cool post to look back at my thoughts when I'm older, just kind of seeing where I was then ha

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Good read jesse, on that note Frannie and I quit smash. Best was our last tournament. I won melee. That is all.

Top Bottom