• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Great keeping in touch with him. I'll be busy that weekend, but I'll let people at RPI know. I think RPI's competitive players are primarily Melee though. We'll see who's cool out of the new freshmen September 8.

8th was 2-11. 7th was 3-31. 8th was when I started not caring about the number.

The circuit depends on having at least one event between Troy and Rochester, but we'd still need to work out the schedule with Rochester. What's the best way to get in touch with Jesse about this? Or can someone else tell him about the circuit and get him active online? I want more updates more often about Syracuse, too!

Edit: Dustbowl Brawl-only in circuit might need balancing with some Melee only event? That's what I'd think of first, but it depends on finalizing circuit details and how the TO feels about it, too.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
EDIT: didnt see kyle got dustbowl. im down if anyone drives. ill try to convince friends from binghamton/syracuse to go as well. if you want help running it let me know.

im still in the process of seeing if i can get a room here for free for a venue. if so i might be able to get a tournament in oct/nov as well. would be great.

EDIT EDIT:
if we are trying to run a like legit circuit, shouldnt rules be fairly tight between all of them. like very similar stage choices, mk legal/ban yada yada yada?
im fine with mk legal in singles, im just not a fan of double mk.

as for the stages for dustbowl, i dont quite get what you mean. like is it best of three, and you can choose any of the 12 stages from the start?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Anyone who wants to play Melee today, my place @ 2PM is the place to be. BlackChris is here from NC so anyone who wants really good Ganon practice, or Ganon ditto practice (Kyle) come to my place!

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so next time we get Jesse to read the thread. What I really want from Rochester is confirmation about dates for tournaments. Running one every month and only having some of them be for a circuit is weird. Having all of them count means we have three Rochester tournaments compared to one other confirmed before 10th BEST. So picking specific dates and how many to have would be nice.

We should have a standard ruleset for the circuit events, whether that means a new one, old one, Unity, Japanese, or some variation. For Brawl, you guys have more decisions to make. For Melee, that pretty much means what counterpicks. It's possible to include or ignore teams in the circuit, and whether to reward consistent teammates or individuals, so rules there or for side events can easily vary when they're ignored. Similar is whether to use and reward pool placement. Don't think anyone has talked actual ranking/points procedures yet, so it'd be nice to see what anyone has to say about it before I just post a system and hope for feedback.

For Melee stages, the choice is pretty much whether to have Kongo Jungle 64, Rainbow Cruise, and Brinstar. I'm a fan of more stages, but people have been fine with only Pokemon Stadium at BESTs.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
as for brawl, i feel like most people are happy with unity ruleset, the only ordeal is MK.
so i mean id be all for unity or japanese rule sets for circuit events,
and mk legal, but mk doubles banned.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
You were all solid, but still a little inexperienced. It made me realize a little how unique my ganon is, but also how solid play can still outweigh any outside jank factors.

Teams were fun. Also glad your region isn't as salty as others.

iRJi

Smash Champion
After some hard though, and discussion with my other TO's and helpers, I have decided to make this event BOTH Brawl and Melee! Rulesets for both events have been updated! Make sure you check it out.

Follow this thread closely! Updates will happen periodically and may include changes in time the event starts, and ETC!

Spread the word, and tell your friends!

Collision V! Now BRAWL and MELEE!

SmashBoards: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=326022
AiB: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=13613
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/448067268580627/

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
This is strange. On SB mobile I'm seeing Unicorns and Rainbows placed in peoples quotes on this thread. But not on the computer. And they weren't there two days ago.

Can anyone explain? Hang on and I'll edit with pictures.

EDIT: Forget it, just take my word for it for now. Or check yourself.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Regarding circuits, I don't know if we can feasibly do one this fall. I would have preferred it being announced by now on events, but we don't have other confirmed events. I can tell you how circuit logistics can work really easily, but I'm not going to set up venues and dates for you.

I have two Brawl and Melee events. We need to confirm circuit involvement and two future dates for Rochester's Upstate Battles now during September, October and November. This shouldn't be hard because it's supposed to be a monthly. However, I recommend not having more than two circuit events to not unbalance the points distribution. Two events in Troy, two in Rochester, and one or more in the middle would make sense. I absolutely require more effective tournament management on smashboards though. It's so easy for me to post new BEST tournaments. Copy, paste, change date. Confirmed with no questions asked and people can post in the new thread without worrying about if it's going to be that date or even happening.

We also need at least one event between Troy and Rochester. It should support both Brawl and Melee. Dustbowl would be tough to arrange for this because it's only one and the circuit would ideally take some of the money from the pot and distribute it later for the championship and travel to the championship. Even if that is worked out, we'd still like an additional Melee event hopefully around Syracuse.

If you guys can plan on fitting those requirements, I can go ahead with finalizing details like where the travel stipends come from and how the ranking system works if no one else wants to help me. Then I can announce it on my events and hopefully not take it down later. I don't need absolutely final dates, but I need to know the tournaments will happen before December unless there's a different championship that isn't 10th BEST.

Regardless of a circuit, Rochester should come out to Troy for 10th BEST on December 1. I have a big and free venue, and it's months away. I don't see how I can get out-of-state to come if I can't even get you guys. I can give you big events, but you need to come to them.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325213

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Circuit isnt going to happen based on that description.

I will do my best to come to the event in December.

Tell Fatal, he'll go to anything.

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
Yeah zandaa as much As i would like a circuit this semester It just doesnt look its gonna work out. We can always try a spring circuit from jan to june?!?

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Fatal has gone to two or three BESTs now and probably will be at both 9th and 10th given that he's posted in both.

As far as I'm concerned, a fall circuit is too cool to give up on yet, but it depends on the community. We can try again in the spring given that we have the time to prepare. I'll aim to reserve that big room once again for late in the semester circuit or not, around April or May. After that I graduate, so my goal this year is to find a new TO in Troy.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I'm still trying to see if I can get something going. Probably won't know until a few weeks from now at the earliest.

Sharky

Smash Master
I'd really like this to happen, but life is slowly pulling me away from smash. To those who haven't heard yet, I'm looking at starting the enlistment process with the navy in the near future, and a lot of my free time lately is being spent working out to get to the required fitness levels (wanna go special ops as a diver, so the requirements are way up there), or looking up information on such or the navy itself. This summer I'm working 50+ hours a week too, and running a local capture the flag group that runs games two nights a week. Come the fall I'll have much more free time, but it's becoming increasingly hard to dedicate myself to smash, save keeping up with the people in the community, rather than the game itself. I will try to set stuff up with Mike, the guy from Voltage, but I might end up transferring the leadership over to beta, because after a point i probably won't trust myself to do a good enough job.

Probably not what you guys wanted to hear, sorry :(

flaw

Smash Apprentice
beta, erk, or any melee'er in syracuse wanna play this sunday? Gonna be there most of the day with nothing to do.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If you guys dont mind, i need anyone with a concrete opinion to go to the facebook page for my tournament and post on my comment saying whether you want to keep MK legal or ban him

:phone:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Whats good limit. You might have to be the one to take charge of building up a Syracuse scene since there arent too many regular players left up there

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
do you know of any that still attend?

i'm kinda hoping that i'm not the only one...all i have is my gamecube controller lmao

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Ohh. I was kinda looking to play some matches and ****, im getting bored.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I mean lets be real here, if mk is legal me and neil will both play mk on people just because we can. And if san isnt there, whos beating our mks without using him themself?

Top Bottom