• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Sharky

Smash Master
but yet you are still agreeing that goggles put on his tournament in march.. which conflicts with "three" events in march...
makes sense.
A rochester tourney won't affect nearly as much in your area, just as an albany tourney doesn't affect very much in the rochester area. Also I only agreed that if it's necessary for any potential NEWCOMERS in the Rochester area, then so be it. That's a completely different issue, as they won't be traveling out to albany for anything, anyway.

also, can't we start planning april onward rather than packing them into one month? Too many tournaments packed together can be just as bad as too few, as they force people to pick and choose between them, harmfully affecting the attendance of all of them.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Woah, two events in march? That's crazy.

Thanks for the clarification/justification Goggles. Makes sense in the end, I guess. Hopefully it won't have to though.
I just want you to know. I respect the hell outta you for seeing something that you didnt fully understand, and asking questions for the purpose of clarifying and understanding before you jumped to conclusions. And not letting any bias of the person making the statements interfere with that.

*brofist*

A rochester tourney won't affect nearly as much in your area, just as an albany tourney doesn't affect very much in the rochester area. Also I only agreed that if it's necessary for any potential NEWCOMERS in the Rochester area, then so be it. That's a completely different issue, as they won't be traveling out to albany for anything, anyway.

also, can't we start planning april onward rather than packing them into one month? Too many tournaments packed together can be just as bad as too few, as they force people to pick and choose between them, harmfully affecting the attendance of all of them.
Its not worth giving him the time of day sharky, he clearly just wants to troll and throw dirt on my name and do whatever he can to disrespect and discredit me.

also, Jesse is trying to start up monthlies in rochester too next month lol.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
ill talk to the owner about april as well, though i work weekends in april and it is much harder for me to find weekends to host, as you are not the only one that has to find time around their jobs.

ill just ask ANYONE else if they have problems with having three spaced out tournaments in march. im not even garunteeing that i can get the space on the 17th, but i am trying to see what people can do. does anyone else find it a major inconvenience to have the tournaments on the 3rd, 17th, and 31st?
(disregarding goggles tournament right now, since technically there is no date set in stone for either his tournament our mine)

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
You gave me the ownership because at the time no one really like you, and you have the whole everyone "everyone hates on K.I.D im regionless thing." Though that may not be the case now and while you would most likely update this thread more than anyone else, I wouldnt ever think of giving it to you because your motives on almost everything you do a partially selfish based.

The fact that you dont care if you host a tournament that corresponds with someone else's tournament is pretty bad and absolutely not helpful to the community especially when you have new people trying to TO (Metalpat/Bcb). You hosting a tournament on the same date in which one of their tournament would hurt their attendance and result in them probably not hosting again. Which in turn gives the region less TOs. We get it, your bad ***, your gonna run a tournament and its gonna be the shizz-nit grizzle-bit. But your don't have to be a douche to other TOs to do it. I worked with Zanda in terms of dates. Brought a car of players to his tournament and he brought a car of players to mine. It only helps attendance and helps community growth.

I dont know how you think you can run a regions social thread with this mentality. Which is probably why you wont ever get the thread back.

Im with beta on the stock thing, saying your changing the stock count based on skill is ********. I could understand if it was to test out time differences in matches.

Sounds to me like if you do good in the beginning on the match, then gets spanked at the end. That pretty much means your not better than your opponent and till need to work on stuff.

Some people start off strong or finish strong. Dont punish thoses that finish strong because you play gimmicky characters that suck after the 2nd stock. (Sonic/wolf/fox/ganon)

Flight-Fight response works so that people naturally get better under pressure and stress (end of match) tone your flight response down and boost your fight response up!

Also dont make a huge long post in regards to this one cause i wont be checking smashboards for a long long time.

LOVE YOU GUYS!

-smash president aka retired doubles master ( aka if i lost in doubles it was because i was retired [aka retired before i lost to dudu+beta]) aka still da best
I can't pretend to be friends with you anymore.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Upstate New york - butthurt central.

I'll be attending BEST no matter what

Utica tourney I really dislike the ruleset a ****ton, so I probably won't go.

MetalPats tourney I'll attend if I have the money, if it happens.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Any smashfests coming up soon? I wanna get some practice in before that BEST tournament. I haven't played since AXS 3 lol.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
It'd be nice for a WNY tourney to happen, because not many people want to have to travel 4/5 hours for a tourney regularly. That's the price to pay for our region having so much land.

Albany/Troy tournies won't get WNY interest, because they aren't used to traveling further than an hour. However, they make up that with OoS attendance possibilities further than any other part of Upstate NY (besides maybe Binghamton).

Tournies in Utica are straying further from OoS, but it's around the CNY area. Still a pain for WNY people but some might go and it's much more convienient for CNY people, while still having accessability for ENY.

And in Rochester, they'd probably get fair CNY attendance but lack ENY attendance (although I wouldn't be surprised if they got some attendance from there, as Albany/Troy people are more used to traveling west for tournies).

All of these are great, but we don't want too many tournies crowding in one area or our region's going to split. No tournies will be more convenient than the ones in CNY for us (I'm not talking Utica, I really mean within 15 mins from Syracuse.) It's where it started and those tournies got huge attendance. But with lack of tournies in Syracuse, everyone else from other regions are lending a hand. With that, tourney attendance gets lower and our region isn't quite the same as it was last year or two years ago.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to go anywhere or make arrangements or the like. I'm not even trying to make a point. I've just stated a lot of info on where our region has gone and will be headed. The thought of our region splitting is scary. NY into 3 different regions is NOT a good thing.

tl;dr Geography

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
I don't like the hatred in this thread. Particularly aimed towards Ganon ( In Cura's rant).

I don't care if you guys fight, Just don't bring Ganondorf into it.

fest at my place during goggles tournament
I wish I didn't find this funny. Not trying to get in the middle of anything, but I can't help this.

Also, at some point I'm gonna collect everyone's friend codes. Once I fix my wii. Yeah, It stopped reading discs. Sucks.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I will definitely go to the BEST tournaments and Utican. Depending on when yours is Pat, I may or may not be able to make it. I doubt I would be able to request that many Saturdays off in March.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure there's gonna be some UMV3 there, if not, I can talk them into it for sure. Just talk to Neil, and anyone else, I'm trying to get a good turnout.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
My TV I brought with me to school returned to some weird default settings, so it won't go to the correct channel so I can play brawl on it. Guess I won't be able to play it at all for the next few months.

Also, I'm thinking about dropping one of my classes, algorithms. It's not really required, sounds pretty tedious, and with it I'm taking 21 credits.. Definitely need to get some playing in before school gets tough (which is by this Friday).

I built a pretty decent PC right after Apex, since my laptop broke. I suppose I'll finally try to tackle some of my Steam backlog: Currently playing Mass Effect, STALKER: Call of Chernobyl, Darksiders, and Sonic Generations. Already beat Bastion and Terraria.

In Mass Effect. I'm at level 23, got the full party, and I'm mostly doing side-quests. I hardly moved on in the plot after getting Liara. My party is mostly me (vanguard), Garrus, and Wrex. The only annoying parts are that I don't want to do that much vehicle fighting, but some things I fight will 1-shot me.

In Sonic Generations, I beat the first boss and I'm starting the next few zones. I like playing through the levels, but I'm still not used to jumps and platforming segments a lot of the time. Some parts I want to spindash, but without warning I will just fall in a pit. Not sure what to think about all of the side-missions for levels, though.

Chernobyl people say is a survival horror, but I'm not really feeling the horror part. I'm using a mod that makes things better looking and harder. In the beginning, I would get shot pretty easily, but now that I have some decent gear, I can handle myself a little better. Shots still 2-3 shot you though, and you have to move through a slow, real-time inventory system to heal. If you're caught in the middle of fire with no cover, you're usually dead. I'm a decent ways in, around 10 hours.

Darksiders I'm only a little bit in, like an hour or two. I have another weapon and moved onto the second area. Not many upgrades or much money yet. It feels more like an action-adventure than something like God of War.

I'm also finally nearing the end of Etrian Odyssey 2 for the DS. I already beat Etrian Odyssey 3, so it was difficult going back. This is a good dungeon crawler turn-based RPG. I mostly am ignoring side-quests this time around and just want to get through all of the floors.

It's funny how my gaming habits change. When I was younger, I would just play 1 game through and beat it in a few days. Now, I play many games at once and finish them over the course of a few months.

a nub

Smash Ace
I like gears but I could never play it competitively, seems like all shooters get super campy at that level. Also ppl should get bionic commando rearmed (the downloadable one), game is like $10 at most and amazing

:phone:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if you dont like or cant deal with camping and defensive play, you shouldnt play any video games (or any competitive face to face sports in general) competitively at all.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
it was far worse actually.

any event that is played for any kind of competition where one player or team goes against another player or team on the battlefield at the same time requires some form of defensive, campy, gay, whatever you want to call it, gameplan.

Thats why you can kneel in football. To run out the clock when you have the lead.
Thats why theres a 24 second clock in basketball. Because without it, one team would just gain a quick lead and than hold the ball forever to stall out the clock.
Thats why snipers tend to be the most important weapon/player in halo.
Thats all guile does in street fighter.
Theres very powerful decks in magic and yugioh that revolve entirely around building a solid defense, and than decking your opponent out (my yugioh deck was like this)

Its everywhere, and if you cant deal with getting camped out in smash, then youre not going to be getting very far, no matter what sport or game you try to get into.

Top Bottom