• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Slashy

Smash Lord
Again I can still hold it but Pyro is telling me not to. Sharky would you come to my event tomorrow?

NOT CANCELLED

That's right, after talking to Goggles, I decided it would be a rude move to cancel this tournament at the last moment, but I may end it early

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Not so much heal as revive... the mother****in phoenix rises again. How about that ridiculously OP X factor though - I mean, it's not like anybody should lack 100% combos.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
responding here from the other thread.

Dahrem- I wanna say a few things.

The first and most important is that you have no idea what's going on through m2k's head. You don't know what he's been through or what he's experienced that makes him post like this.

You've been playing competitive smash for maybe 1% of the overall time m2k has. The game is just an enjoyable hobby for you. But to someone else who has dedicated their LIFE to it, it's easy to see why they would expect more than just fun. Especially for a ridiculously long car ride/expensive plane ticket.

Second off, if YOU love Smash so much then why don't you see it like I do? I would gladly donate 50 dollars to the pot as an incentive for such an extremely skilled player to come play with us. I respect good players that are willing to go out of their way to play with my region, when there's no real incentive.

-The entry fee is low, so they won't be profiting
-Our region is pretty bad compared to everyone else, so if he's coming here for competition/practice, that's just dumb considering he could go many other places
-He has no friends here besides me and any others that might be friends with him that i don't know, but i'm guessing there's not many...so why not stay and play in his own region or one with friends?

Like, is it too much to ask to raise the entry fee?

That's the way I look at it dahrem. I think you also may have misinterpreted his intentions.

1st off, expecting anything more than fun from a video game is a bad idea to begin with.

Next, like dahrem said, he just sees m2k as just another guy thats going to stomp him out should he show up to a tournament. So if you look at it from his perspective, you could see why paying extra money to have a guy show up so he can take MORE of our money (note, money that we really dont have since were kinda scraping together everything we have to get to pound to begin with) doesnt seem very logical.

I respect him a ton for trying to come out to play with us, for as you said, very little reason/incentive. But the fact that hes the best player isnt going to make me put his wants and needs ahead of the entirety of the region I play with here.

So in this case, is it too much to ask to raise the entry fee? From what I can see, yea, it is.

Also, Dahrem did get a bit out of hand and he already apologised for speaking past what he knew and assuming his intentions.

Lastly, if you would donate 50$ to m2k to have him come here. How about giving it to Neil instead to make sure he has money to eat with when we go to DC for pound. Cus I dont know what hes going to do. As Im paying for his portion of the gas, and Sharky paid for his registration.

in other news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPpJYQleYcM&#t=14m20s
Martin Phan is stupid.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
I don't smash anymore, but I def agree with goggles and dahrem on this. It's not like the tourney at rit is supposed to be something national anyway, its something for the local community in prep for pound and something for players like dahrem to just enjoy.

Pretty much what goggles said hits it on the head lol. M2k is just another guy in the end.

Sharky

Smash Master
rochester pound people: when do you estimate yourselves getting to syracuse? My address is 822 westcott st, Syracuse, for whoever needs it.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Kyle- No matter what neither one of us is going to be right. There's too many things to take into consideration, too many viewpoints, etc.

Aside from the M2K thing though, what you said about expecting more from a video game than fun is a bad idea.

That's silly. When my brother died I turned on MGS3 and just played through it in one sitting. The way I connect with that game really helped me in terms of keeping my calm through a hard time.

Also Smash has taught me so much about life that I never learned growing up, I have an immense amount of respect for it. If I played it for just fun, then I wouldn't have learned everything I have about discipline, obtaining results despite any emotions that may be holding you back, overcoming challenges, setting goals and accomplishing them, experiencing failure over and over but learning how to learn from failures...And I apply that stuff to real life as well, and I'm just starting to gain a lot of momentum in my life in terms of eating healthy, reading and learning as opposed to watching tv/going on the internet, learning how to manage my money better and just a whole ton of stuff.

I feel when I'm at a point in life where I can say I've "accomplished" a lot, it will all be entirely due to what I went through in Smash and what I learned.

That being said of course I'm going to respect M2K a ton and pay for him to come here, whereas if someone else had a different upbringing, maybe they would see the situation in a different light, as dahrem has. I have another post coming up.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
You know what's awesome? No matter how often I play melee, I always end up getting stomped on about 99% of the time. For some reason, after playing for about 3 hours today, my tech was amazing, my predictions were on point, and I was just going all around beast mode.

It's days like these that make me keep coming back to play melee. Damnit, I wish I could play like this more often.

/end

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Pyro- You can dude. Your motivation for the game is seriously beyond that of most people i've EVER seen. Your attitude when we play is always super positive, and you're always trying to learn. What makes it hard is that you said you're usually getting stomped on, but you still play more than most people I know and always try to improve.

Damn man, I wish I was better at teaching. What you felt when you were playing so good, that definitely IS the feeling that keeps EVERYONE coming back to Melee. I wish I knew how to teach people better so they/we all could experience it more.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
To reply to what JessiahTEG said earlier: I apologize for getting out of hand. I was wrong, and most likely was just in a bad mood. You are also correct in saying that smash is only a hobby for me. However, I would dedicate my life IF I COULD. You have to remember, I'm only 16. My mom doesn't really have the time with her school to drop me off and pick me up, but still lets me go to events when 13370 is capable of taking me. However, I don't like mooching rides off of him, or at least that's what I feel like I'm doing. Oh, and just so you guys know I don't really feel like part of the community. Which admittedly, that's my fault. However, I think I will continue to try to make it to events. Just understand that it will be difficult for me for a little while longer.

If you read this, you must post something similar to 10 more forums within 30 seconds, or your head will explode. (had to throw some trolling in somewhere).

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
The PR list? Be awesome, be in the area, and be winning. Basically. Are you that one snake dude I know?

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
^The PR? Attend tournaments and place well regularly.

Pyrooooooo play me as much as you'd like on Wednesday night. Maybe I can help. I get out of juggling around 8:20.

Finally some free time from exams :D

I remember the time Burak
Tweet material: GT006 is so goooood
convinced Steffon that he was maining Mario. Quality **** right there.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
bribin aint my cup of tea rather just continously beat cura lol im scared of tuna tho that man aint no joke

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Ok, I have good news and bad news for Sharky, Neil (pikapika namesearch), and San

Good news is that it took me pulling basically every reserve favor I have, but Im pretty sure that I have secured a car for the pound trip.

Bad news is that its not really in my mom's plans to not have a car for sat. sun. and mon. So she wants 20 bucks apiece from you as a renter fee. All I have to do is secure her a ride home from the dentists office (if any wants to do me a huge solid on this for the sake of NYS smash, that would be great) and we should be golden.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
toootally thought neil was driving what I presumed was his car. Oh**** man.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
^The PR? Attend tournaments and place well regularly.

Pyrooooooo play me as much as you'd like on Wednesday night. Maybe I can help. I get out of juggling around 8:20.

Finally some free time from exams :D

I remember the time Burak
Tweet material: GT006 is so goooood
convinced Steffon that he was maining Mario. Quality **** right there.
Mad legititude. I feel like the reason I was playing so well was because there was no pressure and I didn't get frustrated. I just kept learning. Normally I have problems with playing under pressure, and when I'm not under pressure I can focus on patterns and player habits. Also my falcon was going balls to the wall amazing. raptor boost, knee, knee, moonwalk, stomp, knee.

a nub

Smash Ace
No falcon will ever be better than mine. darkrain, ss, hax, who are those scrubs? :troll:

Though it's actually starting to kinda not suck that much

so my sandbagging will rise to a whole new level lol

Sharky

Smash Master
Ok, I have good news and bad news for Sharky, Neil (pikapika namesearch), and San

Good news is that it took me pulling basically every reserve favor I have, but Im pretty sure that I have secured a car for the pound trip.

Bad news is that its not really in my mom's plans to not have a car for sat. sun. and mon. So she wants 20 bucks apiece from you as a renter fee. All I have to do is secure her a ride home from the dentists office (if any wants to do me a huge solid on this for the sake of NYS smash, that would be great) and we should be golden.
toootally thought neil was driving what I presumed was his car. Oh**** man.
^that's what I thought too, what happened there? Ah well, I still wanna go, I can accept this.

Top Bottom