• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Why did I never play stick?

1. I never felt the need, because I always believed I could be as good as I needed to be or just as good as anybody else on a controller.

2. Everyone has controllers for every other game. So if im in a situation with more casual players, theres almost never going to be a time where theres no controllers available.

3. When it comes to (traditional) fighting games, I always feel that I will be able to control my movements better on a Ps3 controller (or in the rare cases like tvc, GC controller) that any other type of controller.

4. I didnt see why people felt the need to pay an extra 60$ on top of the 50-60$ to buy the game to begin with just to play it effectively. I dont think ive ever played a game that i needed something besides the normal controller that came with that system to play.

5. I dont like the sentiment behind it. You even said yourself that part of the reason you switched over is because of pressure from all the other kids you play with to be like them. All the SF players look down on me for some stupid reason because I dont use a stick. That drives me more than anything to make them eat their words.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Depending on what it was eating, I'd get in on that.

WHICH REMINDS ME.

So, down herre, I'll have Sharky, Goggles, Pikapika, and (maybe) Dr.G? Am I missing anyone?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Dont be like that Dahrem. Its not really his fault.

Hes used to getting that kind of treatment. You cant blame him for acting in a way that everyone has conditioned him to believe is acceptable, you know?

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Dont be like that Dahrem. Its not really his fault.

Hes used to getting that kind of treatment. You cant blame him for acting in a way that everyone has conditioned him to believe is acceptable, you know?
Yeah, I apologize, I just lost my temper. Nonetheless, people treat me like dirt all the time. I don't do it back.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
That's more or less what I was thinking.

Of course, I have reasons to dislike pros too, but that's almost as much the pros as it is everyone bending to what they say.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
oh there is a power ranking for upstate????? welp i guess i gotta get on that. from what ive seen i can take every1 here lmao naw but i think i can come close

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Oh, for this weekend? Eh, I'm not that opposed to the idea of doing that. There's gotta be places where a few people might do that if they wanted to see the guy come out, given how good he is.

But, you know, whatever. This isn't the kind of die-hard area that has the cash floating and interest to do that, so it wouldn't happen.

At any rate, I'm pretty hyped for the weekend. I'm working out where you all can crash in the house, but you might want to bring something like a blanket or a light sleeping bag too. I've got a fold-down couch in my room that'd be a comfortable floor mat for 1-2 guys, and two other beds, but it'll be kinda up in the air as to what we actually go with. I'm cleanin up this week so you all have places to be, so it'll be a good time. One idea we had for transit from here to the venue was the metro, but that'd be more expensive for all of us. Parking in crystal city isn't cheap, but with some minor discomfort, we can squeeze into my SUV and just split the parking bill, and it'll be good It won't amount to much when divided; even DC doesn't cost much split 5-6 ways, and where we are isn't as bad.

Everyone staying at my place, please confirm with me individually this week that you're coming by forum PM, IM, email, whatever, if you will. Just want to make sure everyone knows what/where you're getting and what you oughta bring.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
IMPORTANT

Due to a severe lack of hype, and no one actually being able to make it to PVP, the event is most likely canceled. Unless I can be convinced otherwise, PVP will no longer run. Sorry for the inconvenience, but there just aren't going to be enough people to run a legitimate tournament.

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
IMPORTANT

Due to a severe lack of hype, and no one actually being able to make it to PVP, the event is most likely canceled. Unless I can be convinced otherwise, PVP will no longer run. Sorry for the inconvenience, but there just aren't going to be enough people to run a legitimate tournament.
It wont be canceled.

I'm bringing tacos over to melee practice at the apartment tonight.

Foy

Smash Champion
Lack of hype doesnt mean that people arent going to show up. Jesus christ do we really have to hype **** up.

and dropping melee is dumb and you know it.

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
Lack of hype doesnt mean that people arent going to show up. Jesus christ do we really have to hype **** up.

and dropping melee is dumb and you know it.
no hype might translate into no turnout. In any case no one ever really said whether or not they're truly coming - if they did it wasn't even in the thread. tournament organizers can't be expected to continue to hold tournaments if nobody says that they're even going. That's not fair for the TO; (s)he might be better off investing time in something else if that's the case. it's exacerbated by the fact that people griped about the venue fee. a dollar isn't that big of a deal

Edit props to slashy and pyro for investing their energy into it.

Top Bottom