• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

dudutsai

Smash Lord
RTF I've always been a fan of your Mario speedrun videos. How do you record them? Also how much practice do you need to do that?!?!?!!!?!?!!?!?!?!

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
RTF I've always been a fan of your Mario speedrun videos. How do you record them? Also how much practice do you need to do that?!?!?!!!?!?!!?!?!?!
It's a lot like smash actually. It involved a lot of holding down in order to facilitate proper frame splitting execution (most people will agree that I am good at holding down). I practice for it on my gamecube controller and a MIDI keyboard because i have a GCN to PSX to USB to MIDI converter that I use on an emulator. I get to push a lot of important buttons that way. It's like learning a song, but with Mario. I guess I practice for about 10 seconds per frame on average.

As for recording, I use a Dazzle to a DVD, then software to rip to from the DVD to a CD. After that, I copy over the files to my harddrive and backup in Raid 0. Then I encode using a series of 5 codecs (trade secret) to ensure the best quality on http://www.YouTube.com. After viewing it privately on YouTube, I then download the video to make sure the quality is good and then re-upload it as public. I go through a lot of DVDs though, because I try really hard sequences.

If you would like to donate DVDs to support me, I would truly appreciate it. PM me if you're interested. I know I am :D

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
I'll figure out for sure exactly how many people I'm cool to have by, and we'll see how it goes. Noteworthy is that, if you're looking at megabus, philadelphia is also a stop they'll do between here and DC from syracuse. Thing is though, you can't then immediately get on and go straight to DC, from what I can tell. I need to talk with sharky and see what he'd cooked up a while back.

flaw

Smash Apprentice
It's a lot like smash actually. It involved a lot of holding down in order to facilitate proper frame splitting execution (most people will agree that I am good at holding down). I practice for it on my gamecube controller and a MIDI keyboard because i have a GCN to PSX to USB to MIDI converter that I use on an emulator. I get to push a lot of important buttons that way. It's like learning a song, but with Mario. I guess I practice for about 10 seconds per frame on average.

As for recording, I use a Dazzle to a DVD, then software to rip to from the DVD to a CD. After that, I copy over the files to my harddrive and backup in Raid 0. Then I encode using a series of 5 codecs (trade secret) to ensure the best quality on http://www.YouTube.com. After viewing it privately on YouTube, I then download the video to make sure the quality is good and then re-upload it as public. I go through a lot of DVDs though, because I try really hard sequences.

If you would like to donate DVDs to support me, I would truly appreciate it. PM me if you're interested. I know I am :D
lol... I especially enjoyed a nub's suggestion.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if you have money, I think we can get you.

having you instead of acton will free up SOOOO much space in the car.

omg, mlg columbus driving was rediculous. It just HAD to be the 5 biggest dudes in the region squeezed into my tiny lil compact car.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
if you have money, I think we can get you.

having you instead of acton will free up SOOOO much space in the car.

omg, mlg columbus driving was rediculous. It just HAD to be the 5 biggest dudes in the region squeezed into my tiny lil compact car.
Lesson to the Smash Community.

Lay off that extra slice.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Pound V is definitely sooner than I remember, but would it be too much of a problem if I tell you like a week before if I'm going or not? Lol.

Minic

Smash Apprentice
smash is boring play street fighter or even better MvC3 when it comes out., and just for yanick maybe some blazblue.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
correction, melee is boring.

Brawl is still awesome.

also minh, explain to these fools. neil and yannick are under the delusional impression that people arent going to be playing mvc anymore by the time summer rolls thru.
I dont think that they realise that this is going to be like the biggest fighting game ever...

~Twitch~

Smash Master
cullowhee, nc western carolina university
Melee isn't boring at all. I've been playing for 3 1/2 years now, and am still getting rocked by PP, who is lightning quick, precise, and does the coolest combos. Every second in Melee is like, if you **** up you die, making every second really really intense.

this is obv jesse

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Easy CAP is worth it. I definitely recommend getting it. Quality isn't much different than things like Dazzle for the average person (I have both)

PoofyHair

Smash Journeyman
I really want to play some street fighter...or someone can buy my fightstick off me cus I don't have anywhere to use it

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Lol, i definitely met up with the SSF4 and Blazblue community down here in Albany, and they all had arcade sticks. This guy got a SSF4 tourney edition for $14 from some dude.

Minic

Smash Apprentice
...you seem to be saying that with the implication that melee was designed for competitive play.
Well i don't think he's far off. Seems about right to me.

http://www.1up.com/news/masahiro-sakurai-reflects-super-smash

And arcade sticks are a great investment. Allows use of input techniques like, pianoing, pinking and double tapping with greater use. Obviously it's not required to win but it helps a lot at high levels of play. But one can get by just fine with a controller but playing on a fight stick looks so much cooler

Top Bottom