• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
They can officially say whatever they want, the speech about the game is not the game. Adds are full of slogans proclaming the stuff they're selling is this or that.
The game is as much a gaming crossover as licensing allows it to be. You could say "no it's not that it's about Nintendo," but what would be the point of doing so? Who are you trying to convince? Nintendo? To change their minds and abandon their decision to pursue third parties?

The intent is more important than the fact here. The intent is what determines the road things will proceed along in the future.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Iconicness is not a quantifiable measure, why are you so stuck on that 100?
It's not only 100 that I mention. I would also say that Sonic is 10 times more iconic than Megaman.
Stop talking about "iconicness" as if it's something that can be objectively measured. You've already been told multiple times that something like that can't be quantified or measured, and you're refusing to listen or even acknowledge it in any way. This is honestly starting to come across as trolling.
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm 100% sure about my estimations. And I understand.

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
Guys, he's trolling yall. You've all been had again.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
It's not only 100 that I mention. I would also say that Sonic is 10 times more iconic than Megaman.
And the award for fastest argument suicide goes tooo...okay, real talk, Mega Man came out three and a half years before Sonic 1 did.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm 100% sure about my estimations. And I understand.
Well, okay, sure, than you just do you.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand the argument of iconicness. Like the Angry Birds are iconic, but I don't see people saying that they should be in Smash Bros.
Yeah, but Sakurai transformed the Break the Targets! minigame into Target Blast for Smash 4. So technically speaking, we already have Angry Birds in Smash. And we don't have to deal with the annoying birds and pigs. It's brilliant!

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
And the award for fastest argument suicide goes tooo...okay, real talk, Mega Man came out three and a half years before Sonic 1 did.

Well, okay, sure, than you just do you.
Although he’s arguments may be illogical, the date of the release of a game has nothing to do with how iconic a character is.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I want the Balance Board to be an Assist Trophy. Like have it mess with the stage boundaries but have it rotate.
I also want a new Punch Out assist trophy.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Pretty sure it was debunked that it is Sakurai's cat if I recall.

There's no way they'll run out of characters that would garner interest. When a character gets in, another takes its place as the most requested.
This is why I'm hoping all the Old Guard wants dry up soon. I want to see more fresh faces in both speculation and the roster itself. I remember being pleasantly surprised by wants like Minecraft Steve, for example, because people in my age group don't normally bring them up. I'm sure there are first-party examples but Steve strikes me as a very new yet very sensible request, the likes of which wouldn't really be seen among mid- to late-20-year-olds and early 30-year-olds.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
As a reminder, the OP of the thread has very clear rules on criticizing the posts of others within this thread.
OP said:
The Golden Rule: NO CRITICIZING OTHER POSTERS' OPINIONS. This is NOT a debate thread. Do not post on here if you're going to attack/debate someone for their opinion. If you disagree with somebody and can't follow this rule, I will be upset, and that's probably the worst thing you can do on here.
Do not engage with others in a hostile manner or you will receive Warnings. If you believe another user to be trolling, use the Report feature as opposed to doing anything else.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't understand the argument of iconicness. Like the Angry Birds are iconic, but I don't see people saying that they should be in Smash Bros.
After Diablo 4 mobile gaming became a four letter word for most people who enjoy gaming on other platforms. I can see why some people wouldn't want Smash to touch it.

That being said I would not mind if one or two decent mobile games such as Angry Birds got at least acknowledged in the game.

StormC

Smash Hero
This is why I'm hoping all the Old Guard wants dry up soon. I want to see more fresh faces in both speculation and the roster itself. I remember being pleasantly surprised by wants like Minecraft Steve, for example, because people in my age group don't normally bring them up. I'm sure there are first-party examples but Steve strikes me as a very new yet very sensible request, the likes of which wouldn't really be seen among mid- to late-20-year-olds and early 30-year-olds.
Well... Ultimate drained the swamp pretty good on old school requests. K. Rool, Simon Belmont, Ridley, Banjo-Kazooie... at this point you're really left with like, Dixie, Skull Kid, Waluigi, Isaac, and Geno for popular character requests that date back to at least the pre-Smash 4 days. The Ultimate speculation period started two years after the Smash 4 one ended, so there wasn't really much time for a lot of new faces to pop up. Think we will see more in Smash 6.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Continued argument despite Super Mod reiterating thread rules.
The game is as much a gaming crossover as licensing allows it to be.
Wich is not much. So far, only 10 characters out of 73 are third-party, and the Mario familly has nine chacaracters (including two clones and one Echo) while Sonic is still alone (not even one Echo) - and I'm not even counting the closely related series that are Yoshi, Wario and Donkey Kong. As long as this doesn't change, it's a Nintendo cross-over with some/several/many guests, no matter who says what.

You could say "no it's not that it's about Nintendo," but what would be the point of doing so?
The point is saying what I believe to be the truth.

Who are you trying to convince? Nintendo? To change their minds and abandon their decision to pursue third parties?
Who am I trying to convince? That's a wierd question. The people I'm talking to, off course.

The intent is more important than the fact here. The intent is what determines the road things will proceed along in the future.
I strongly disagree. First, if we count the base game, out of the six "real" newcomers (not counting Echoes), there was only one third-party. Including the DLC, so far, we're at four third-party for six Nintendo characters. Second and most importantly: the facts are always way more important than the words. If you juge a politician by what he says and not by what he does, or if you trust an advertisement instead of examining the product, you must think everything and everyone is more beautiful than it actually is. We'll see in the future what future Smash look like, but right now, we can only talk about what we have.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It saddens me that Yoshi doesn't get respect. (Way overdue for a second Yoshi rep)
I feel your pain. As a Kirby fan, there's a sinking disappointment seeing all these new Kirby games come out, with the hopes of at least one newcomer, but so far we've gone through 3 waves of new fighters (Smash 4, Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate), and presumably a 4th, with zero recognition.

Last edited:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Wich is not much. So far, only 10 characters out of 73 are third-party, and the Mario familly has nine chacaracters (including two clones and one Echo) while Sonic is still alone (not even one Echo) - and I'm not even counting the closely related series that are Yoshi, Wario and Donkey Kong. As long as this doesn't change, it's a Nintendo cross-over with some/several/many guests, no matter who says what.

The point is saying what I believe to be the truth.

Who am I trying to convince? That's a wierd question. The people I'm talking to, off course.

I strongly disagree. First, if we count the base game, out of the six "real" newcomers (not counting Echoes), there was only one third-party. Including the DLC, so far, we're at four third-party for six Nintendo characters. Second and most importantly: the facts are always way more important than the words. If you juge a politician by what he says and not by what he does, or if you trust an advertisement instead of examining the product, you must think everything and everyone is more beautiful than it actually is. We'll see in the future what future Smash look like, but right now, we can only talk about what we have.
>Super mod comes in and reiterates that no arguing in this thread is allowed
>You still make this post

Post warned, no infraction points issued. Next post continuing this discussion from either of you gets 2 points minimum, with 6 needed to ban. Next will be 4 to bring it to 6.

This is nothing personal. We just have an ongoing issue with flaming arguments in here that devolve into personal attacks and more. This debate isn't to that point yet, but it's time to stop.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The rules have been updated. No criticism is allowed. It's time to move on and drop the conversation entirely.

"The Golden Rule: NO CRITICIZING OTHER POSTERS' OPINIONS. This is NOT a debate thread. Do not post on here if you're going to attack/debate someone for their opinion."

Please understand there was some confusion on enforcing this earlier. That has been fixed. We're fully reinforcing what it should've been like. Yes, that means no debate. It's unfortunate that issues happened earlier due to this too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The rules of this thread are not up for debate in public. Take it to Forum Support. We have a hard mod consensus on keeping the rules in check here. It is possible something could change, but it won't be via talk inside this thread.

Crass comments on this will be treated as spam and/or trolling.

(For the record, I did note a long time back the thread would be noted if we were enforcing the no debate/criticism rules. That time eventually came what the final answer is. It's understandable if you don't like that, but this is not the thread to voice your opinions. Again, Forum Support is where you should go.)

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I feel your pain. As a Kirby fan, there's a sinking disappointment seeing all these new Kirby games come out, with the hopes of at least one newcomer, but so far we've gone through 3 waves of new fighters (Smash 4, Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate), and presumably a 4th, with zero recognition.
Being a Kirby fan sure is painful. I'm ok with anything from the new games (specially Robobot)! Be it a new character, a new stage, or even a more varied selection of music. But Sakurai be like: Here's more Super Star stuff, and you'll like it!!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Address those, not respectful debate.
There is no debate. This is for people to share their unpopular opinions, not to debate them. If you can't understand that, leave the thread. If you tryand continue debating, you'll be finding yourself receiving some hefty infractions as you've had a number of warnings on this.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Well... Ultimate drained the swamp pretty good on old school requests. K. Rool, Simon Belmont, Ridley, Banjo-Kazooie... at this point you're really left with like, Dixie, Skull Kid, Waluigi, Isaac, and Geno for popular character requests that date back to at least the pre-Smash 4 days. The Ultimate speculation period started two years after the Smash 4 one ended, so there wasn't really much time for a lot of new faces to pop up. Think we will see more in Smash 6.
Oh yeah, definitely. I'm happy we finally have a lot of "obvious" choices in the game that had been missing in prior installments, but I'm looking forward to whenever the next game comes out and we see a bunch of new faces as well.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Like what ? Giga Mac is nice ! Do you want a three star uppercut ?
Multiple beat em up hits that ends with a star punch. You could even throw in a bite as a reference to the iconic ear bite technique in boxing.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I feel this honestly also applies to The Legend of Zelda, though admittedly to a lesser extent. Still, ever since Smash 4, it has always been annoying to see one great potential newcomer after another get the AT treatment. It's annoying.

. . .And come to think of it, Xenoblade's also getting really ignored. In terms of things you actually see most of the time, it only really got three songs and two Mii costumes.
Though of course, with Xenoblade it's a lot less notable since the series only made its debut last game.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Being a Kirby fan sure is painful. I'm ok with anything from the new games (specially Robobot)! Be it a new character, a new stage, or even a more varied selection of music. But Sakurai be like: Here's more Super Star stuff, and you'll like it!!
I feel this honestly also applies to The Legend of Zelda, though admittedly to a lesser extent. Still, ever since Smash 4, it has always been annoying to see one great potential newcomer after another get the AT treatment. It's annoying.

. . .And come to think of it, Xenoblade's also getting really ignored. In terms of things you actually see most of the time, it only really got three songs and two Mii costumes.
Though of course, with Xenoblade it's a lot less notable since the series only made its debut last game.
It's really frustrating to see people argue that Kirby is "fine as it is" with only it's original 3 cast. Like fine how about we trim the remaining roster down to this:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach:
:ultdk:
:ultlink::ultzelda:
:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultyoshi:
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo:
:ultness:
:ultmarth:
:ultpit:
:ultvillager:
:ultsimon:

Because now they only feature their original cast, so therefore now they're fine as they are.

Last edited:

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
It's really frustrating to see people argue that Kirby is "fine as it is" with only it's original 3 cast. Like fine how about we trim the remaining roster down to this:

Because now they only feature their original cast, so therefore now they're fine as they are.
Wolf didn't appear in Starwing, so you can retire him.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman

I agree and understand how you feel, but if you do that trimming, Meta Knight gets the boot. His entry to the series was Kirby's Adventure, not Dream Land.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I agree and understand how you feel, but if you do that trimming, Meta Knight gets the boot. His entry to the series was Kirby's Adventure, not Dream Land.
Luigi, Bowser, and Peach weren't in Mario's premiere game, either. Even if you don't consider Donkey Kong to be the first Mario series game, Bowser and Peach weren't in Mario Bros.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The thing is most people don't know that. The argument they propose when they say Kirby is "fine as it is" is that the game has its "original trio" when it's obvious they have no idea the series has already expanded beyond its original cast. I'm sure if people knew this the argument that for some damn reason three fighters from the GBA era are fit for one of Nintendo's largest franchises would show up less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom