• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Only problem is that Adeleline, despite the moveset potential, is the exact kind of character that Sakurai would make into an assist trophy. Even moreso since she's not from any of the Kirby games he made. He'd probably recoil in disgust at even having to acknowledge her with an assist trophy, let alone make her a playable fighter lol.
It's funny, I was just thinking about how the Nikki and Vince assist trophies basically function the same way I expect Adeleline would if she was either playable or just an AT. This has made me both optimistic and pessimistic about her chances for the exact same reasons you stated.

I think Adeleline and other 1st party characters like her are in this weird place where theoretically they have everything in their favor to be playable but end up overlooked anyway for some reason or another.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Honestly if Fire Emblem can have 7 characters then there's no reason Kirby can't have 5. Bring on both Bandana Dee and Adeleine. Sakurai is just going to have to accept that there are more Kirby games out there than the handful that he made.
I'll raise you seven.
  • Bandana Waddle Dee - Represents most recent games (2011-onward) and is probably the #1 most requested
  • Marx - The series' most requested villain, represents one of Kirby's best games overall (remember: bosses don't deconfirm)
  • Adeline - Represents older games made by other directors and has probably the most creative moveset potential
  • Magolor - Actually surprisingly popular and represents one of the most successful Kirby games (RtdL is the Fire Emblem Awakening of Kirby)

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Fire Emblem has three characters, two semiclones, and two echoes.

That means it's only fair that the new Kirby characters be semiclone Gooey, semiclone Waddle Dee (so minimal or no spear), Dark Meta Knight, and Dark Dedede.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

That means it's only fair that the new Kirby characters be semiclone Gooey, semiclone Waddle Dee (so minimal or no spear), Dark Meta Knight, and Dark Dedede.
I think your math is a bit off. Fire Emblem has four unique characters, one semi-clone, and two echoes.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I don't remember Ike being a seicolne. Besides I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Either way I can see the potential for a semiclone Gooey and Dark Meta Knight but I feel like Masked Dedede would be the better approach in that scenario simply because he's the most consistent form of "possessed Dedede" in Kirby games. But dark Dedede also has some things of his own.

Gooey could have Kirby's copy ability, his 5 double jumps and most of his tilts/aerials but I can see him having different smashes/specials in the same way that Roy does to Marth. Dark Meta Knight would be Marth's Lucina and have mainly the same moves but a different hitbox layout (presumably a tipper to represent his mirror magic). Masked/Possessed Dedede would be Roy's Chrom and have the same moveset basics but a few different moves like his axe swing or a deeper inhale. If he threw gordos they would function differently, and he would most likely use a different hammer so hitboxes would be different.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Master Hand should have honestly been pre-order bonus or at least its happening at some point. I think Master Hand, is one character fans should rightfully get to play as, serving as that long awaited always in your face last minute surprise addition. It will be an emotional day, but we're ready or should be.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Master Hand should have honestly been pre-order bonus or at least its happening at some point. I think Master Hand, is one character fans should rightfully get to play as, serving as that long awaited always in your face last minute surprise addition. It will be an emotional day, but we're ready or should be.
YES. This is an amazing idea, and I wished that somebody mentioned that earlier so I could see how amazing of a point this is.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But Master Hand's entire appeal is a massive floaty hand? How could you restrict it to the confines of a smashbros game without it looking like those thumb guys from spy kids?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Unpopular opinion: Ike is just a slow Marth with a different side special.
Counter, Down Smash, and Up Air are their only attacks that are even remotely similar though.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Saying Ike is a Marth semi-clone is like saying Yoshi is a Bowser semi-clone because of down b.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Is that... DEBATE I hear?

View attachment 231618
Well no.
You're putting up obvious misinformation to bait people into correcting you.

Believe it or not, just prefacing something with "unpopular opinion" doesn't make it actually an opinion and is honestly, pretty damn childish you'd think that would actually work.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
But Master Hand's entire appeal is a massive floaty hand? How could you restrict it to the confines of a smashbros game without it looking like those thumb guys from spy kids?
You can make Master Hand a pun on a secret, but still playable character. You can only play as it exactly on Final Destination, there's the catch. No other stage. When you finally play as Master Hand, its supposed to represent how its always been represented as far as Smash.

Seriously, is there or has there ever been a Master Hand support thread?!

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Neutral B: Shield break.
Down B: Counter.
Up B: Frontal sword rise. It goes down afterwards, which is Luigi-tier different.
F Smash: Arc sword swing.
D Smash: Front then back.
U air: Arc above.
F air: Arc in front.
B air: Sweep behind.

It's a whole lot more than two moves. They put in some effort in Brawl to make him more unique than Roy was from Marth but it's very apparent that he's from the same mold. They started with Marth and tweaked things until he was Marth's Luigi. He's not different enough that he deserves to be called a fully unique character. They didn't put that effort in.

I'd be just as annoyed if DK were uncreatively derived from Mario. His neutral B threw coconuts, side B turned people around, etc. We got a new FE character in Brawl, and instead of something totally new like Robin, it was slow Marth.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
You can make Master Hand a pun on a secret, but still playable character. You can only play as it exactly on Final Destination, there's the catch. No other stage. When you finally play as Master Hand, its supposed to represent how its always been represented as far as Smash.

Seriously, is there or has there ever been a Master Hand support thread?!
There is one but there's unfortunately not much activity on it

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
No Debate or Criticism is allowed in this thread. No exceptions.
Neutral B: Shield break.
Down B: Counter.
Up B: Frontal sword rise. It goes down afterwards, which is Luigi-tier different.
F Smash: Arc sword swing.
D Smash: Front then back.
U air: Arc above.
F air: Arc in front.
B air: Sweep behind.

It's a whole lot more than two moves. They put in some effort in Brawl to make him more unique than Roy was from Marth but it's very apparent that he's from the same mold. They started with Marth and tweaked things until he was Marth's Luigi. He's not different enough that he deserves to be called a fully unique character. They didn't put that effort in.
Marth's neutral B is an angle-able sword lunge. Ike's is a more vertical and long range projectile. THat's like saying Dedede's down B and Ganon's up tilt are the same because they murder shield.

Marth's up B goes up. It does not have a lingering hitbox, it does not spike, it it takes way less frames to happen. Nor does it have super armor.

F Smash: Ike's is a billion times slower and has a much different hitbox

D Smash: Again, Ike does not have Marth's tipper and this move is way slower

U air: See above

F air: See above

B air: Ike's b-air is a vertical swing whereas Marth's is an upper slice. And once again, see the above mention on frame data and hitbox distribution.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
How about having Master Hand as a playable character, but only restricted to stamina battles? Knocking him out the screen would look really weird.

Also, unpopular opinion 5: Luigi is better than Mario. In every game that exist.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Debating and Criticism is not allowed. Yes, we're aware when you're clearly responding to another user. Context is not hard to tell at all.
If you want to make a point about Marth being too similar to another FE rep, you've literally got three other characters from the franchise that were created by cloning his moveset. Don't need to bring Ike into the mix.

Anyways, I'm going to say something weird that might make sense to a few people.

I think Cranky would be a better choice for a DK rep than Dixie or Funky.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Anyways, I'm going to say something weird that might make sense to a few people.

I think Cranky would be a better choice for a DK rep than Dixie or Funky.
I know how deserving Dixie Kong is, but Cranky Kong is more legendary, rather by sense or legitimacy alone. For Funky Kong, I'm just like "Why?"

Another potentially unpopular opinion, Kirby doesn't need another playable villain other than King Dedede. Yes, I said it. King Dedede is an amazingly executed fodder villain in Kirby Right Back At Cha and he even still reflects it in Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Another potentially unpopular opinion, Kirby doesn't need another playable villain other than King Dedede. Yes, I said it. King Dedede is an amazingly executed fodder villain in Kirby Right Back At Cha and he even still reflects it in Smash.
If anything, Kirby needs another blatant protagonist. Meta Knight is a rival, Dedede is the main antagonist of the series, and BWD flip-flops so often it's hard to tell who's team he's on.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Is Dedede really an antagonist? He's probably more akin to Meta Knight. Both only seemingly did really bad things of their own volition once (the original/Spring Breeze for Dedede and Meta Knightmare for Meta Knight) and both actively help out now.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Is Dedede really an antagonist? He's probably more akin to Meta Knight. Both only seemingly did really bad things of their own volition once (the original/Spring Breeze for Dedede and Meta Knightmare for Meta Knight) and both actively help out now.
The term "antagonist" simply means anyone who opposes the protagonist. Even if Dedede isn't necessarily "evil", it's clear that he doesn't like Kirby and wants him gone from Dream Land so he can pursue his gluttonous dreams of stealing food. He'll team up with Kirby if he thinks it'll save his planet and home, but otherwise, he'd gladly destroy Kirby if given the chance.

Meta Knight can be considered an antagonist in Super Star, but in general he's considered a rival. Unlike Dedede, he and Kirby share similar goals of stopping evil. They just approach justice in different ways, which causes them to clash from time to time.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Also, unpopular opinion 5: Luigi is better than Mario. In every game that exist.
I think this is actually a pretty popular opinion.

Luigi tends to have a very vocal fanbase whilst Mario fans(as in fans of the character specifically) tend to not really speak up much. Mario's universally liked, but more for being an icon. Kinda like how Mickey Mouse who's popularity is less vocal than Donald Duck's due to the latter being a more interesting character than the former.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think this is actually a pretty popular opinion.

Luigi tends to have a very vocal fanbase whilst Mario fans(as in fans of the character specifically) tend to not really speak up much. Mario's universally liked, but more for being an icon. Kinda like how Mickey Mouse who's popularity is less vocal than Donald Duck's due to the latter being a more interesting character than the former.
Yeah if anything, it would unironically be more of an unpopular opinion to say that you prefer Mario over Luigi but yeah...

Nintendo in general tends to keep a lot of their main protagonists fairly simple/minimalistic in terms of actual character like Link, Samus, Kirby, Pokemon Trainer etc.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Dedede is more like the comic relief nowadays. He's a mix between a bad guy and a protagonist.

That being said with the majority of Kirby recognition going towards Super Star in Smash, he might as well still be a villain.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
As a far as I remember, Dedede has been a real villain only one time: Kirby's Dream Land. All the other games you fight him, either he's mind controlled by the real enemy (like Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards) or he's just being a rival (like Gourmet Race).

Now, how about this: Wario is better than Mario. In every single game!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As a far as I remember, Dedede has been a real villain only one time: Kirby's Dream Land. All the other games you fight him, either he's mind controlled by the real enemy (like Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards) or he's just being a rival (like Gourmet Race).
He was also the villain in Super Star and Super Star Ultra. He tried to destroy Kirby in Ultra out of spite and anger after he lost in the episode, "Spring Breeze".

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The villain argument is a little silly I feel. King Dedede is one of Nintendo's most iconic boss battles, alongside Bowser, Ridley, etc. The exact story nature of how and why he fights Kirby seems nitpicky.

It's not as bad though as people claiming Wolf is an antihero and not a villain, even though now his purely villainous appearances are the most numerous.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
We said no debating or criticism and we mean it.
If you want to make a point about Marth being too similar to another FE rep, you've literally got three other characters from the franchise that were created by cloning his moveset. Don't need to bring Ike into the mix.
You argue that there are three too many Marths in the game. I argue that there are four. Only difference.

Arthur97

Smash Master
The term "antagonist" simply means anyone who opposes the protagonist. Even if Dedede isn't necessarily "evil", it's clear that he doesn't like Kirby and wants him gone from Dream Land so he can pursue his gluttonous dreams of stealing food. He'll team up with Kirby if he thinks it'll save his planet and home, but otherwise, he'd gladly destroy Kirby if given the chance.

Meta Knight can be considered an antagonist in Super Star, but in general he's considered a rival. Unlike Dedede, he and Kirby share similar goals of stopping evil. They just approach justice in different ways, which causes them to clash from time to time.
But he only really opposes Kirby three that I can remember (when not possessed). The first being to steal the food, but the second time, he was actually the good guy. King's Revenge being an offshoot of the first time. Well, there's Gourmet Race, but that's more of a rivalry than straight up villainy. You also seem to think he's stuck back in Kirby's Dream Land when he really hasn't been keen on stealing all the food since the first game.
The villain argument is a little silly I feel. King Dedede is one of Nintendo's most iconic boss battles, alongside Bowser, Ridley, etc. The exact story nature of how and why he fights Kirby seems nitpicky.

It's not as bad though as people claiming Wolf is an antihero and not a villain, even though now his purely villainous appearances are the most numerous.
That may be, but being a boss and being a villain are not always the same. As I stated, he was only really a villain once. For that matter, Kirby lacks in notable villains since they've essentially turned Dedede into another hero and they keep getting new villains for each installment these days.

To be fair, there are about 3 (4 if you count 2 as unique) unique instances of Wolf showing up in Star Fox games, and in Assault he was more of an anti-hero while in Command
he generally filled an anti-hero role as well. And let's be clear, I don't think he's necessarily evil, just ambivalent with his morals doing whatever pays no matter what the job is or who's paying. Yeah, that's pretty scummy, but he tends to only do evil things when that's the job.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
To be fair, there are about 3 (4 if you count 2 as unique) unique instances of Wolf showing up in Star Fox games, and in Assault he was more of an anti-hero while in Command
he generally filled an anti-hero role as well. And let's be clear, I don't think he's necessarily evil, just ambivalent with his morals.
Wolf has appeared in five games, 64, Assault, Command, Zero, and 2. 64, Zero, and 2 have him as an unquestioned villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom