• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
The next Kirby character they'll add is probably Waddle Dee but if it was up to me I would pick Adeleine and Ribbon (as a duo obviously) over him. Nothing against Dee or his supporters I just love kirby 64 and I think these two are really cute. That's it. Nothing to do with moveset potential or representation. I just really like these characters and want to see them in Smash someday lol

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
The next Kirby character they'll add is probably Waddle Dee but if it was up to me I would pick Adeleine and Ribbon (as a duo obviously) over him. Nothing against Dee or his supporters I just love kirby 64 and I think these two are really cute. That's it. Nothing to do with moveset potential or representation. I just really like these characters and want to see them in Smash someday lol
I think that opinion doesn't belong in this thread. It's absolutely pure and wholesome.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Same but Gooey. Look at this smiley boi. Tell me he doesn't deserve the world.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I think that opinion doesn't belong in this thread. It's absolutely pure and wholesome.
Thank you! I usually lurk on this site but this has lately become one of my favorite threads to participate in due to the diversity of opinions that are shared.

Such a pure smiley boy, I wouldn't even be mad if he got in before Adeleine. I was one of the few that wanted Slime over Hero and Gooey fits that quirky aesthetic very well. I could even see the two interacting in a hypothetical reveal trailer for him.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
In my opinion, when it comes to characters to have a potential to be playable, I see making them an assist trophy as disrespectful instead of honoring. Because it destroys their opportunities to be playable.

Also, a great trade off I thought of to promote Waluigi to a playable character in Smash 6, would be to make King Boo an assist trophy in return.

Not to mention, just because you like a character, and/or they are iconic doesn't mean they merit to be playable. For example, I'm a fan of both Beck (mighty no 9) and Quote (Cave Story). I've played both of their games a few years ago, and they even bring back good old memories. Despite liking them, I still want both of them to be assist trophies and never playable in Smash due to insignificant iconicness.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
All these great Kirby characters and people keep saying that it only needs its "eternal" characters to be represented smh.

Like honestly Kirby and Zelda are in similar boats when it comes to new characters. Sure, they have their "main" cast, now it comes to new characters to represent new branches of their games. They did this with Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem, why stop there?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Criticism is not allowed. No, it doesn't matter if you have a good point or not. The rules are hard, clear, and fast. Agreeing with someone does not count as criticism, btw.
In my opinion, when it comes to characters to have a potential to be playable, I see making them an assist trophy as disrespectful instead of honoring. Because it destroys their opportunities to be playable.
You know about :ultdarksamus::ultisabelle::ultlittlemac:, right?

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Judging by the reaction to Shadow and Isaac's assist trophies in the November direct, I'd say that's quite a popular opinion among the Smash speculation community

All these great Kirby characters and people keep saying that it only needs its "eternal" characters to be represented smh.

Like honestly Kirby and Zelda are in similar boats when it comes to new characters. Sure, they have their "main" cast, now it comes to new characters to represent new branches of their games. They did this with Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem, why stop there?
I get that the core cast of a series should be prioritised in terms of getting into Smash but yeah, agree it shouldn't have to stop there - a character doesn't single-handedly have to be representative of a whole series to be a worthwhile addition

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
User was warned for this post; intentionally making jabs at other users
Says the guy who thinks Joker should’ve been an Assist Trophy.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
You know about :ultdarksamus::ultisabelle::ultlittlemac:, right?
I know, and just because a character is an assist trophy, doesn't mean they don't have a chance of being playable in the future games.

Says the guy who thinks Joker should’ve been an Assist Trophy.
Having Joker/Ren as an assist trophy instead of playable wouldn't be such evil/harassing in my opinion. Nor would it be a heartbreaker.

Judging by the reaction to Shadow and Isaac's assist trophies in the November direct, I'd say that's quite a popular opinion among the Smash speculation community
Correct, I have to say that making Isaac, Shadow, Waluigi, Kunckles, and Bomberman assist trophies were just acts of plain evil/harassment.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Correct, I have to say that making Isaac, Shadow, Waluigi, Kunckles, and Bomberman assist trophies were just acts of plain evil.
They can always get a chance in a future game - besides, it was assist trophies or nothing: Sakurai probably didn't intend to make them playable characters in the first place

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Criticism is not allowed here.
Correct, I have to say that making Isaac, Shadow, Waluigi, Kunckles, and Bomberman assist trophies were just acts of plain evil/harassment.
This is ridiculous. You should be happy that these characters are assist trophies because otherwise they wouldn't be in the game at all. Not being an assist trophy doesn't mean a character has any more of a chance of being in the game. For (presumably) most characters it's either be an assist trophy or be absent from Smash altogether. The devs probably never considered those characters to be fighters at all and thought they would make great assist trophies--I think they did a pretty damn good job at that.
I know, and just because a character is an assist trophy, doesn't mean they don't have a chance of being playable in the future games.
Your original post said it "destroys their opportunities to be playable" without mentioning future games, implying that being an AT is a seal of doom for eternity.
Having Joker/Ren as an assist trophy instead of playable wouldn't be such evil/harassing in my opinion. Nor would it be a heartbreaker.
Congratulations. You just admitted you're a hypocrite. Now explain to me why making Isaac, Shadow, etc. assist trophies is evil harassment but if they did the same for Joker that's totally fine....

....other than the fact that you obviously have a personal liking toward said characters and are salty that they're assist trophies whereas Joker, a character you did not want in Smash, is in fact a fighter (judging from your long list of drivel in this thread).

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Correct, I have to say that making Isaac, Shadow, Waluigi, Kunckles, and Bomberman assist trophies were just acts of plain evil.
It's a video game, no need to be so dramatic. I was rooting for Shadow but when he was revealed to be an Assist Trophy, I just shrugged and moved on.

Calling this an "act of pure evil" comes as overexaggration at best and trolling at worst, like pretty much everything you post.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I enjoy the fact that some characters are included as assist trophies and Mii costumes. Assist trophies are awesome, and Mii costume are ... usually pretty cool. Admittedly the ones that show the Miis face while wearing the actual characters head as a hat are kinda lame.

Not ever character can be playable. If they released the next Smash game with a Thousand playable characters, there would still be characters you'd want that didn't make it. The same can be said for anyone. Having the character show up somehow at least shows they're thinking of them.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post; trolling
Gooey is actually playable in the fan game Super Smash Bros. Crusade (alongside other highly requested characters that didn’t quite make the cut in SSBU like Waluigi, Shantae and Bomberman) you should check that out at some point if you wanna see an interpretation as to how he’d play in Smash.

Months ago I was going to make a masterpost on my thoughts on tons of characters, but I’m just gonna scrap that and outright share some hot takes that I will be brutally honest about: I can live without :ultcorrinf::ultdoc::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultpiranha: and:ultwiifittrainer: in Smash.

-Corrin I just view as completely replaceable by any new FE protagonist as a flavor of the month deal to promote the latest game. Besides, they were added as mostly a promotion for Fates, with the only requests for the character coming from big FE fans, and from Japan, the only place where Fates was released at the time.

-If they can’t just make Doc an echo, then what’s the point of even keeping him around anymore if they do a reboot of sorts for the next Smash? If Mario gets a new Odyssey based moveset, Doc can just be a costume, since the outfit is in Odyssey and works like any other outfit.

-Pichu was a bad joke in Melee, and I still view him the same way in Ultimate, as pretty much Pikachu, but worse. And besides, for a generation 2 representative, there’s some better options than just Young Pikachu, such as :160::212::214:and:248:.

-I’ve never really been a fan of Jigglypuff or cared for her inclusion. I feel like generation 1 already has a tad bit too much representation, and if anyone were to get cut out of gen 1 reps, I’d choose her.

-I don’t care for Sakurai’s “muh moveset potential” with Plant, he’s even moreso a joke than any other character, as there’s so many other non-generic Mario characters that fans have been requesting (Waluigi, Captain Toad, Paper Mario). With that in mind, I view this as his middle finger to everyone who wanted any of those characters, regardless of what he says. And no, Plant isn’t in the same boat as Bandana Dee, BD is in the same boat as Captain Toad: generic characters turned unique. Plant, meanwhile, is outright a generic enemy. Heck, I’d complain less if it were Petey Piranha, who’s the same situation as BD and CT, even though I never supported him.

-I understand that Wii Fit Trainer was chosen because of potential for an interesting and unique moveset and to represent how successful Wii Fit (and/or the Wii Balance Board I guess) was or whatever, but except for people who main them and just a handful of others, I’m pretty sure nobody would actually miss them if they were to be cut, and they could definitely be made an Assist Trophy instead.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Finally got around to playing Ultimate and man. Classic Mode has been pretty great and carries that good ol' random, admittedly, but the game still really demands too much. Not bothering with collecting stickers nor do I really want to use a ticket, all so damn confusing. I just want to unlock characters. I also don't need envisions of the characters shoved in my face :mad: Is this even Smash anymore?! Keep it simple, geez. The how you shoot the end credits should have retained its pre formats, does EVERYTHING have to change?!?

Smash has really become a shell of its former self.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think Kirby actually has plenty of fighter potential from Waddle Dee, to a Rick, Koo, and Kine Combo, maybe even Gooey, and even Dark Meta Knight as a semi-clone. If they weren't so stubborn about first parties, it could be a source of fun movesets. Star Allies really showed off its potential.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Finally got around to playing Ultimate and man. Classic Mode has been pretty great and carries that good ol' random, admittedly, but the game still really demands too much. Not bothering with collecting stickers nor do I really want to use a ticket, all so damn confusing. I just want to unlock characters. I also don't need envisions of the characters shoved in my face :mad: Is this even Smash anymore?! Keep it simple, geez. The how you shoot the end credits should have retained its pre formats, does EVERYTHING have to change?!?

Smash has really become a shell of its former self.
You're saying that giving you the option to use a ticket, spend gold, or quit, along with collecting Spirits, is demanding too much, yet don't even acknowledge that it demands you rush through the stages and avoid damage? I hardly even consider the latter two ot the former one making this game a "shell of Smash's former self", in your words. They're just nitpicks I have.

Speaking of Classic Mode, I do kind of wish Target Test returned for Ultimate, in a style similar to Brawl's. Making a unique one for nearly 80 fighters seems to me like unnecessary extra work for Sakurai and his team.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Classic Mode, I do kind of wish Target Test returned for Ultimate, in a style similar to Brawl's. Making a unique one for nearly 80 fighters seems to me like unnecessary extra work for Sakurai and his team.
I got a good idea how to have unique break the target stages for all characters without spending too much resources, add a level editor for that. So basically a break the targets maker, we already see people make creative levels with the stage builder. Matter of fact smash could definitely benefit from having more level editors in more modes. Like for race to the finish, classic mode, event matches etc.

The smash team should've focused on adding old modes before adding new dlc characters. Because that way it will keep the game fresh until the new dlc character is released.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Adeleine (with or without Ribbon) would be a pretty good newcomer for Kirby. Kirby 64 was always one of my favorite Kirby games and Kirby's Dreamland 3 is a lot like it.

Only problem is that Adeleline, despite the moveset potential, is the exact kind of character that Sakurai would make into an assist trophy. Even moreso since she's not from any of the Kirby games he made. He'd probably recoil in disgust at even having to acknowledge her with an assist trophy, let alone make her a playable fighter lol.

UserKev

Smash Champion
You're saying that giving you the option to use a ticket, spend gold, or quit, along with collecting Spirits, is demanding too much, yet don't even acknowledge that it demands you rush through the stages and avoid damage? I hardly even consider the latter two ot the former one making this game a "shell of Smash's former self", in your words. They're just nitpicks I have.
No. I definitely don't want to use a ticket or collect Spirits. I didn't have to in Smash 64, Melee, ignored it in Smash Wii U and I don't want to even now. Just give me good ol' trophies and the lottery machine. At least one over the ladder is least work.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Even as a supporter of Dee, not only would I be 100% okay with Gooey getting in first because, well look at him, but he also makes sense to an extent to get in over Dee.

As far as I know he's the first true 'second player' character of the entire franchise which always made me view him as Kirby's Luigi.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman

Also, a great trade off I thought of to promote Waluigi to a playable character in Smash 6, would be to make King Boo an assist trophy in return.

Not to mention, just because you like a character, and/or they are iconic doesn't mean they merit to be playable. For example, I'm a fan of both Beck (mighty no 9) and Quote (Cave Story). I've played both of their games a few years ago, and they even bring back good old memories. Despite liking them, I still want both of them to be assist trophies and never playable in Smash due to insignificant iconicness.
Um, how to say this... these opinions are quite unpopular, yes. But, do you have any that doesn't involve removing playable characters or the iconic stuff?
It feels like every post you make is the same.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Adeleine (with or without Ribbon) would be a pretty good newcomer for Kirby. Kirby 64 was always one of my favorite Kirby games and Kirby's Dreamland 3 is a lot like it.

Only problem is that Adeleline, despite the moveset potential, is the exact kind of character that Sakurai would make into an assist trophy. Even moreso since she's not from any of the Kirby games he made. He'd probably recoil in disgust at even having to acknowledge her with an assist trophy, let alone make her a playable fighter lol.
I mean she's not in the game at all even as a spirit so you might not be wrong.

In fact there are several Kirby characters that when I see them absent from Spirits I tilt my head and wonder why they weren't chosen. Obviously they can't choose everyone but with characters like Adeline and Taranza missing and so little of the spirit battles featuring modern Kirby characters it certainly begs the question of why the Kirby spirits were organized in such an odd way.

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I mean she's not in the game at all even as a spirit so you might not be wrong.

In fact there are several Kirby characters that when I see them absent from Spirits I tilt my head and wonder why they weren't chosen. Obviously they can't choose anyone but with characters like Adeline and Taranza missing and so little of the spirit battles featuring modern Kirby characters it certainly begs the question of why the Kirby spirits were organized in such an odd way.
Because Sakurai, being the creator of Kirby, has shown in Smash Bros. clear bias for the games that he directed and such, while not giving too much of a care for the games that did not involve him. This likely explains the lack of content in general from the modern Kirby games, compared to the ones that he directed.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Just an FYI: Sakurai's Kirby bias is (mostly) a misconception. According to this old article by Source Gaming, an Epic Yarn stage was planned, but had to be reworked into Great Cave Offensive due to the announcement of Yoshi's Wooly World.
Actions speak louder than words, I feel. I mean, beyond that article, has there ever been anything mentioned by Sakurai about modern Kirby?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Just an FYI: Sakurai's Kirby bias is (mostly) a misconception. According to this old article by Source Gaming, an Epic Yarn stage was planned, but had to be reworked into Great Cave Offensive due to the announcement of Yoshi's Wooly World.
Logically it wouldn't make sense if Sakurai was biased against modern Kirby since he would be holding back so much potential and disappointing a lot of fans. Despite the speculation and all of the signs that he's holding back on modern Kirby content I'd like to imagine it's also a misconception. However, the Epic Yarn stage issue, in my opinion, almost confirms that there's some kind of bias in his decision making. Think of it this way: If the Epic Yarn stage had truly mattered, they wouldn't have replaced it with Wooly World. And when they did make a replacement, they could have chosen any recent game, such as the late Return to Dream Land or the upcoming Triple Deluxe. Instead they chose another stage from Super Star, a game which was eighteen years old at the time.

While I doubt Sakurai has a malevolent disgust toward putting modern Kirby content in Smash, it's worth noting that between the lack of a new fighter, his decline to put a modern stage in the game, the miniscule amount of modern Kirby remixes in the soundtrack, and the organization of Kirby spirits--or lack thereof--the idea that he may be biased against modern Kirby is not without a foundation.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
so... he scrapped a stage based on Modern Kirby upon hearing of a game (that wouldn't even be out by the time Smash 4 released) that had a slightly similar art-style.

sounds unbiased to me

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I could care less about the whole "Sakurai is so biased against Modern Kirby" stick and would take glad take more Kirby content even if it wasn't Bandanna Dee.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Most people don’t know or care about virtua fighter, but having Akira show up as an assist trophy was actually one of the most hype moments for me. I had no expectation that he was getting into smash or anything, so him just randomly showing up and looking just like he did on Sega Saturn was amazing.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm actually more excited for Hero than Banjo. I have a much more personal attachment to Dragon Quest than Banjo Kazooie and I think Hero's looking to be a much interesting fighter than the bear and bird duo.

That being said, I'm very happy to see Banjo's fans get their guy in.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hey, guys. When we say no Criticism, we mean it. Every post criticizing another(unless multiple posts did so, then we're warning them in a bundle, or was warned for something else) has been warned. This is not an option here. It's a hard rule. Replying isn't always a criticism, and we're aware it can be borderline. That said, we are not afraid to continue handing out warnings and infractions whatsoever till people start following the rules. If it wasn't made clear multiple times, our actions will speak even louder than the mod posts.

While I'm not one who likes to be harsh in tone or anything like that, this is clearly a necessity because people refuse to read the rules. I suggest before you reply again to this topic, read the opening post, just like it's noted above. And yes, replying to criticism counts as criticism on your part too. Just ignore it if somebody criticizes your post and let the Moderation handle the issue(you can report it too). For the record, Criticism, due to not being allowed here, is going to often be treated as Spam, depending on the context of the post, of course. Likewise, if a post is way too controversial, just report it. We'll look into it and see if it's breaking any forum rules to begin with. "I don't like what they're saying" and "This is not actually correct" does not count as breaking the rules here. Yes, some people's opinions will probably be what they believe are facts but are really incorrect. It happens. Just let it go and move on.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm actually more excited for Hero than Banjo. I have a much more personal attachment to Dragon Quest than Banjo Kazooie and I think Hero's looking to be a much interesting fighter than the bear and bird duo.

That being said, I'm very happy to see Banjo's fans get their guy in.
I'm not attached to either, but I do agree that Hero looks more interesting.

Banjo is more of a love letter to his fans than he is a unique character. His moveset represents him well, but I'm not seeing anything crazy that really separates him from the rest of the DLC.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Replying to Criticism with more Criticism is still not allowed. Let it go. This is not a debate thread.
This is ridiculous. You should be happy that these characters are assist trophies because otherwise they wouldn't be in the game at all. Not being an assist trophy doesn't mean a character has any more of a chance of being in the game. For (presumably) most characters it's either be an assist trophy or be absent from Smash altogether. The devs probably never considered those characters to be fighters at all and thought they would make great assist trophies--I think they did a pretty damn good job at that.
I forgot mention that when a character who has a potential to be playable is assist trophy, it can be worse than nothing because not having them as an assist trophy saves their chances to be playable in the current game. For example, back in smash 4, Ryu and Cloud were lucky not to be assist trophies and they finally made it in. And assist trophies can't be promoted via DLC. So it's better to have those types of characters not be assist trophies even if they aren't going to be playable.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Historically, popular characters who were ATs at some point got in as full-fledged characters.

Everyone is free to interpret ATs however they want. Personally, I see them as the next best thing to being playable. Even if it doesn't springboard them to the roster, it's still a huge honor regardless.

At first, I was devastated when Zoroark didn't make the cut in Smash 4, but as time went on, seeing it as a Pokeball Pokemon in both Smash 4 and Ultimate felt like a huge accomplishment. Out of all the Pokemon they could've chosen, Zoroark was lucky enough to be one of the few who got in.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Honestly if Fire Emblem can have 7 characters then there's no reason Kirby can't have 5. Bring on both Bandana Dee and Adeleine. Sakurai is just going to have to accept that there are more Kirby games out there than the handful that he made.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
For that matter, I still think DK has more potential. For that matter, I don't think they should apply the brakes so hard on Mario if they don't for Pokemon. Even if they did for Pokemon, Mario is the flagship series for Nintendo. Now, not saying half the roster should be Mario, but if any series should get special attention, it's Mario.

Zelda also deserves more I think, but I'll admit that movesets would probably need to be creative.

Also, so far, Banjo and Kazooie are the only fighter pass fighters I actually want. Plant not being counted in that number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom