• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

UserKev

Smash Champion
No one really talks about King Boo anymore but I feel like he's an extremely likely candidate given next Smash. And his moveset is easily solvable. Give him levitation no taller than Jigglypuff for movement and let him play similarly to Gengar. Either him or E. Gadd.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No one really talks about King Boo anymore but I feel like he's an extremely likely candidate given next Smash. And his moveset is easily solvable. Give him levitation no taller than Jigglypuff for movement and let him play similarly to Gengar. Either him or E. Gadd.
surely he should be at least bigger than Luigi

Laniv

Smash Champion
Make him an inverse of K. Rool: a handful of his moves give him intangibility, but he's also extremely light and floaty to balance it out

UserKev

Smash Champion
Make him an inverse of K. Rool: a handful of his moves give him intangibility, but he's also extremely light and floaty to balance it out
I actually don't want King Boo but Luigi's Mansion deserves actual representation. You have 2 well established candidates ready for use. King Boo would actually be pretty fun and would be the first fighter to represent the phantom aspect. E. Gadd would be the first rep to bring a vacuum cleaner base fighter aspect.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
This is how Specials should work in general ...

Down special = advantage only

Neutral special = Advantage or Neutral

Side special = all three

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm not against Geno in Smash by any means, but at this point, I'm more interested in what a Geno/Mallow teamup set would be like rather than a solo Geno.
I like Geno and Mallow, but I disagree with the idea of a teamup on the basis that they both have easily enough material to fill a moveset on their own. They don't really have a reason to be stapled together other than that they debuted in the same game.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This one is bound to be extremely unpopular, but TOTK Ganondorf could be represented in Smash with a bare minimal change in the overall move set of current Ganondorf. Only the tilts, U Air and N Air could he changed and the Specials tweaked so Ganondorf would feel like the Demon King version of TOTK. Add the mechanic of Gloom to his Specials and there's even more uniqueness.

Made a post about this before. I'll quickly adress the Specials here to give example what I mean.

Neutral B: same animation but Ganondorf is now surrounded by Gloom. Gloom lingers after the animation is done. Has more super armor now during the whole move. Also is a semi ranged attack now, can possibly be fully ranged if charged? Anyway the ranged energy of darkness explodes after a second and leaves more Gloom on the stage.

Down B: instead of using his foot, Ganondorf now uses his spear for this attack. Same idea, more range and power. Gloom lingers after in a trail of where Ganondorf travels. When used from mid air it leaves an explosion of Gloom on impact and does more damage.

Side B and Up B are mostly unchanged.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Toon Link (With Bow, Spin attack, hookshot, boomerang and Bombs in the same roles) should 100% be in the next smash!
If you have to change a link change the newset one thats defined by being diffrent for the sake of it not Toon!
(Although having 2 basic links smol and big with a few major diffrences that rep multiple games would be the best option)

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Mii Gunner , & , King DeDeDe , got waay too nerfed.

Explosive flame , takes waay too long to come out
Palutena's , down air , should come out much faster too.
Palutena's , Horizontal-tilt , takes waay too long to get a hitbox

Ganondorf's , up special , should be a , levitation & float , which doe not put him in free fall in exchange for a midair jump
Ganondorf's , down special , should be , flame choke , which doe not put him in free fall
Ganondorf , should hold his sword directly above his head during his, Forward smash.
Ganondorf's , neutral special , should be , Dead Man's Volley
Ganondorf's , Side special , should be , Wizard's foot
Ganondorf's , up air , should be a , rising upper cut

King DeDeDe , should have his , neutral special , be some energy blast from his hammer
King DeDeDe , should get much better horizontal recovery with his up special .
King DeDeDe , should get much better air jumps than her currently gets.
King DeDeDe , should have his , Jet Hammer, be his Forward Smash.
King DeDeDe , should have his , down special , be inhale.

Mythra & Pyra ; dash attack = forward stab
Mythra’s neutral special = Radiance Bomb
Pyra’s ; flame Nova = gives some horizontal air movement

Dark_Samus’ horizontal Special = Shrapnel Beam
Dark_Samus’ Down Special = Phazon shield
Dark_Samus’ Neutral Special = Levitate
Dark_Samus’ up Special = Warp

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I know wants Raven Beak, but I think I'd like to see the EMMI in Smash more.
I think they would animate more interestingly and could be Smash's answer to Nemesis, a playable stalker who brings Dread.

EDIT to avoid double post.

After looking at TOTK and seeing what they've done with Link in Ultimate, I've come to the conclusion that I don't want these versions of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf in Smash. They are radical departures from the characters that they're supposed to be. And in general, I'd rather have a holistic approach for most characters anyway that highlight as much of their being rather than just whatever is currently trending. And honestly after Ultimate even had different versions of the triforce wielders. Maybe the Smash team should just make their own versions the Triforce trio similar to what was done in Hyrule Warriors. Link is based off the Nintendo Tokyo render. Zelda can do something like what was done in Ulimate as a combination of LBW and LTTP. Ganondorf can either be armored like OOT/TP or in desert robes like WW/TOTK. This also leads to a much wider move pool as we don't have to worry about wether or not BOTW Link has a hookshot or not or anything like that. And even then alternate costumes are still an option so we could still have Champion Link, Zonai Zelda, and Weaboo Ganondorf if they still really wanted to update their look. As long as Ganon gets to have a trident.
They essentially already did this for Shiek and Roy, so it's not like there isn't a precedent.

Also if you really want to freshen every character up for the next game. Give everyone a Shield Special. Give em new tools, never take away the old ones unless you're making the new tools function the same if not better. Every character in SF6 gained new moves but at the same time, players are still able to maintain nearly 30 years of legacy skill. Smash should follow the same way.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I posted a profile post about this ages ago, but I may as well post it here as well:

I'd love to see Smash include content related to regrettable or embarassing parts of Nintendo history - edgy 90s and 2000s adverts, cheesy cartoon and anime adaptations, the CD-i Mario/Zelda and PC Mario/Pokémon games, a Mortal Kombat fighter having some kind of sweat-related gag, the Genesis Does What Nintendon't jingle as a music track, stuff like that. Hell, add the Game Genie genie mascot as a fighter while you're at it!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think it’d be amazing that if they ever brought back trophy style descriptions, for whatever collectible we get, they put in an Olimar’s Notes like in the pikmin games. Even if it’s just for fighters

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
even tho Sonic’s current voice clips aren’t the best, I oddly don’t mind them…but I do wanna hear his current puberty voice he reached in Frontiers to be used next game

also never re-record Captain Falcon’s voice clips

and make all the DK characters use their show voices (singing included) strictly for my own petty satisfaction

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I don't get the appeal behind wanting the boss stages in Ultimate to be playable as is. One is a stage already playable in the first place (Giga Bowser and the Hands), one's just Big Battlefield with two less platforms (Galeem and Dharkon), and the rest are just walk-offs...not really good material for new stages, imo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't get the appeal behind wanting the boss stages in Ultimate to be playable as is. One is a stage already playable in the first place (Giga Bowser and the Hands), one's just Big Battlefield with two less platforms (Galeem and Dharkon), and the rest are just walk-offs...not really good material for new stages, imo.
I mean...I think it's pretty clear that people want them for aesthetic reasons above all. There's nothing wrong with that.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I want to see a Smash tournament where everybody can only play as Pit and idk why

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm very leery about the idea of running momentum transferring into jumps. Sure, it allows for better followups in strings and combos, but it seems to widen the gap between slow and fast characters even further. I'd rather just have certain moves on the slow characters have reduced knockback to allow for followups better.

On the other hand, I also can't help but think that the range between slow and fast characters should be decreased, so I'm admittedly a mixed bag on this.

Aligo

Smash Ace
I'm very leery about the idea of running momentum transferring into jumps. Sure, it allows for better followups in strings and combos, but it seems to widen the gap between slow and fast characters even further. I'd rather just have certain moves on the slow characters have reduced knockback to allow for followups better.

On the other hand, I also can't help but think that the range between slow and fast characters should be decreased, so I'm admittedly a mixed bag on this.
I think that a good way of balancing things could be to have a sheildstun multiplier.

Positive values for slow heavies, allowing them to have better safety on shorter moves, and negative values for projectiles, to better balance zoners.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think that a good way of balancing things could be to have a sheildstun multiplier.

Positive values for slow heavies, allowing them to have better safety on shorter moves, and negative values for projectiles, to better balance zoners.
Maybe that and adjustable shield knockback (if that doesn't already exist).

That said, slow characters probably need better get-off options too so that their disadvantage isn't so awful.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Bad game rep in Smash would be the dream. Not divisive, not mediocre, not a scummy business scheme wrapped around a fine game, not a bad instalment in an otherwise well-respected franchise, just plain bad and bad alone. Give me Ninjabread Man, Sqij, Rise of the Robots, all that good (bad) stuff.

Last edited:

Aligo

Smash Ace
Bad game rep in Smash would be the dream. Not divisive, not mediocre, not a scummy business scheme wrapped around a fine game, not a bad instalment in an otherwise well-respected franchise, just plain bad and bad alone. Give me Ninjabread Man, Sqij, Rise of the Robots, all that good (bad) stuff.
The problem with many good bad games is that they are based off of literature or movies and thus may not fit the criteria for smash. Genuine solo bad games often fall into the infinite pit of recent super low budget indie games, so picking one out from the crowd might actually be harder than picking between multiple good games.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
In theory, that could be fun. In reality, I'd rather keep a game based on good games...

AlRex

Smash Lord
Atari E.T. , the Action Game Master/Cheetahmen, and Bubsy seem the most emblematic, but E.T. is a licensed character, Action 52 is unlicensed, and most of Bubsy’s output before and after Bubsy 3D aren’t quite as bad as this, though he’s popularly held up as “the failed platformer mascot”. I’d be fine with adding him in, though, after at least Crash and Rayman.

that went out the window when they let bayo in
Bayonetta seems fine enough. If we’re arguing a bad game already got represented, I would say Corrin. 🙃

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As much as I want a wider range of both Sonic characters and Sega characters in general, I can't part of me would love to see a retooled Modern Sonic taking elements from Frontiers and a Classic Sonic very much drawn from the 16 bit games (drop dash, abilities from the Flame/Electric/Water shields, etc).

Aligo

Smash Ace
MultiVersus has a way better moveset template than Smash Bros. because it's more simple. I never quite liked the tilt/smashes differentiation. Charged tilts all the way!
Wouldn't charging tilts that way prevent the angling of moves? Correct me if I am wrong.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't charging tilts that way prevent the angling of moves? Correct me if I am wrong.
If I am not mistaken, in MultiVersus you get to angle certain tilts, like Gizmo's arrow, so no, I don't think so. Even then, it would be like tilting a Smash attack in a way, wouldn't it?

Laniv

Smash Champion
...does Sonic's victory theme being lifted straight from 06 count?

Top Bottom