• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
yeah but I’ve no idea what’s gonna come up. this is the internet after all

plus how I’m supposed to know I got the right one?
I’m a moderator. Why would I post something that could potentially be inappropriate?

not that everyone should be posting inappropriate things.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
well the idea is that you may have posted something that’s fine but I find something inappropriate by mistake
No, that’s not the issue here. You are just being contrarian to cover your own misunderstandings and mistakes of a situation. Whatever you tried to say above really has no bearing in your initial post.

Also, you are 31. That’s more than enough reason to know that it’s rather silly/childish to be worried about googling a word you see on Smashboards - especially one that was in a post that had zero content that was even remotely inappropriate.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, that’s not the issue here. You are just being contrarian to cover your own misunderstandings and mistakes of a situation. Whatever you tried to say above really has no bearing in your initial post.

Also, you are 31. That’s more than enough reason to know that it’s rather silly/childish to be worried about googling a word you see on Smashboards - especially one that was in a post that had zero content that was even remotely inappropriate.
remind me never to ask what you guys are talking about again

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
SafeSearch also exists, so that's not really an issue. That said, "You can just Google it" isn't generally helpful as there's always tons of games in the series and it's not clear what kind of site to go for. Are they trying to find gameplay videos in particular, a wikia that explains the movesets, something even more like development and how the fighting game's coding works?

I legitimately don't know what is being asked either. So while it was poorly asked for, it was still asked for and some direction is good too in return. A lot of people really do not know what direction to go in when just using a single name to "explain" how a system could work. There's zero real context. It's just better to give a little direction when asked(even if it's not asked in the best manner). If you suggest something, it's also important you're able to remotely explain it a little.

I won't go into a big example of a game I play(unless asked) to show what I mean by how dropping a name isn't enough, but anyway, as long as it's clear that we should try and ask respectively but also not intentionally refuse to cooperate, it's all good. :)

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
ArcSys should do PxZ fighting game and only include non-human cartoon characters like Sonic, PAC-MAN and Firebrandt; as some sort of compensation.

D

Deleted member

I talked about this idea earlier today in a profile post, but I would love to see a Metroid Strategy Game.

My idea was that It would be a prequel to Zero Mission where you control a Galactic Federation Captain commanding soldiers in fights against Space Pirates, maybe with some original or returning bounty hunters as bosses.

Idk, maybe someone can polish that idea better, but I feel It would be quite cool.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I talked about this idea earlier today in a profile post, but I would love to see a Metroid Strategy Game.

My idea was that It would be a prequel to Zero Mission where you control a Galactic Federation Captain commanding soldiers in fights against Space Pirates, maybe with some original or returning bounty hunters as bosses.

Idk, maybe someone can polish that idea better, but I feel It would be quite cool.
I've always been on the camp that Federation Force's reception was primarly due to how it had been nearly a decade since the last well-received Metroid game, only for Nintendo to make a Big Head Mode spin-off that literally nobody asked for rather than what the people actually want.

With Samus Returns, the long-awaited Dread finally being real, the Prime 1 remaster and Prime 4 in the works, Nintendo is clearly paying attention to the IP now, so a spin-off that might not feature Samus could be better received now that Metroid has gotten a crapton of love. Even if it came at the cost of so many people being uncredited for their hard work...

Seeing more of the Federation could act as a good bit of worldbuilding too (or I guess galaxybuilding?)

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Rushdown characters are less fun to fight online than Zoners. With Zoners, no matter who you are you can still kill em at 50% because they all have the same habits.

Rushdown players have no habits because they never get to develop them; They mash any random **** and it works because the game is designed to allow random mashing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Rushdown characters are less fun to fight online than Zoners. With Zoners, no matter who you are you can still kill em at 50% because they all have the same habits.

Rushdown players have no habits because they never get to develop them; They mash any random **** and it works because the game is designed to allow random mashing.
I have been thinking this for years.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

I remember I always felt the opposite back when I played Ultimate, that the game encourages camping and waiting by design due to how sloppy and mushy the movement feels. Maybe I'd think differently if I picked it back up now, but either way, might just be a matter of perspective depending on the characters you like to play.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I remember I always felt the opposite back when I played Ultimate, that the game encourages camping and waiting by design due to how sloppy and mushy the movement feels. Maybe I'd think differently if I picked it back up now, but either way, might just be a matter of perspective depending on the characters you like to play.
It does encourage camping, but campers are predictable. Mashers are not, and as Lamperouge Lamperouge can tell you, I'm an incredibly read heavy player.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I would prefer an Arc Sys Zelda rather than a Smash Zelda. Makes more sense.

But I also would prefer an Arc Sys Fire Emblem over an Arc Sys Zelda cause it makes even more sense.
True arc sys zelda was definitly on my mind to here i guess here is a roster im quickly making (only 20 characters at launch cause difficult animations) considering the only arc sys game im heavily into with is dbfz (And that zelda probably would be more easily accsesible too also yes i have played guilty gear XX AC+) I used some similar patterns like the base roster size and the Half good guys half baddies aproach here:
1686735558402.png
also yes toon link has a classic moveset while link uses tons of runes and weapons from BOTW!

D

Deleted member

This is a really random concept, but I would find It really cool if Hasbro made a Smash Bros line of action figures similar to Marvel Legends or Star Wars Black Series, with characters such as DK or Bowser being build-a-figures.

A good chunk of the figures could also come with items from the game as accessories. Like Mario with the mushroom or Simon with Death's scithe for example.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
This is a really random concept, but I would find It really cool if Hasbro made a Smash Bros line of action figures similar to Marvel Legends or Star Wars Black Series, with characters such as DK or Bowser being build-a-figures.

A good chunk of the figures could also come with items from the game as accessories. Like Mario with the mushroom or Simon with Death's scithe for example.
technically speaking it would probably be jakks pacific doing smash Figures as they have both nintendo figures and sonic ones!
(It would be intersting but that would still result in even more mario and pokemon figures which we really dont need)
I would rather see just dedicated nintendo figures for all the other series!
For example All Mario characters from smash have figures (other than jr in a clown cart) meanwhile currently only BOTW Link/ Zelda and Samus have Figures of all the other nintendo Figures so instead lets ask for more nintendo Figures like Toon Link, Ganondorf, Sheik, Olimar and Pikmin and Captain Falcon for example!

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
True arc sys zelda was definitly on my mind to here i guess here is a roster im quickly making (only 20 characters at launch cause difficult animations) considering the only arc sys game im heavily into with is dbfz (And that zelda probably would be more easily accsesible too also yes i have played guilty gear XX AC+) I used some similar patterns like the base roster size and the Half good guys half baddies aproach here:
View attachment 373309also yes toon link has a classic moveset while link uses tons of runes and weapons from BOTW!
I'm maining the **** out of Octorok, boo-yah!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I'm maining the **** out of Octorok, boo-yah!
One of the main reasonm why i included Enemys is cause you sorta just wanna beat up some mooks right?
Also Yes i would main Octorok too btw do you know that one of the few current zelda plushes is a octorok here:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If a 100% indie game, no corporate co-ownership or what have you, was added to Smash, it shouldn't be one of the big boys - at least not yet - but instead an upcoming, low-key release. IMO there isn't really a point to adding an indie game if you aren't actually drawing attention to a small title. Not gonna happen though, capitalism gonna capitalism.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Reposting something I made a status out of, but I think it would be kinda cool for Smash to embrace a little more... Fortnite-isms... in the next game. More specifically, when it comes to items. Most of the items in Smash are well, just that, common equippable weapons from the source material, with some exceptions like the Star Rod or Lip's Stick - when it would be way more fun to have individual characters' weapons in the item pool. Let Squirtle use the Chaos Emeralds or Ridley wield the Murasame or Kazooie perch on Pit's back.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
SOOOO... Genos game gets a remake Hmm!
I would say Toad and geno as the 2 new mario characters next go arround? Daisy can also stay a echo thanks to wonder but pirahna plant yeah he just HAS to go Mario has just too many characters otherwise!

FazDude

Smash Master
SOOOO... Genos game gets a remake Hmm!
I would say Toad and geno as the 2 new mario characters next go arround? Daisy can also stay a echo thanks to wonder but pirahna plant yeah he just HAS to go Mario has just too many characters otherwise!
I don't really follow - Why is removing one character crucial to ensure Mario doesn't have too many characters while adding two doesn't overbloat its lineup?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I don't really follow - Why is removing one character crucial to ensure Mario doesn't have too many characters while adding two doesn't overbloat its lineup?
Mostly cause Geno and toad really have to be added (atleast Toad) and pirahna plant is like the easiest cut ever! I guess you could theoreticaly cut either Daisy or Rosa but they just have a giant following and both were in mainline games so thats sadly no excuse to cut them!

FazDude

Smash Master
That wasn't my point - So let's say in the next Smash game, assuming it's another Everyone Is Here scenario, you remove Piranha Plant, but add Toad and Geno. You have more Mario reps than you started with, so Mario having "too many" reps is still an issue. (though now that you mention it i'd be ok with cutting rosa lol)

Going with the more likely roster reduction scenario, PP will probably - no, almost 100% - get cut, but if that's the case, I doubt Geno would be as much of a priority for a smaller roster.

I'm just saying that removing less important characters from a franchise while adding seemingly more important ones (the latter I can't say Geno is) is still giving it a lot of reps. Would be hyped for Toad, though.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
That wasn't my point - So let's say in the next Smash game, assuming it's another Everyone Is Here scenario, you remove Piranha Plant, but add Toad and Geno. You have more Mario reps than you started with, so Mario having "too many" reps is still an issue. (though now that you mention it i'd be ok with cutting rosa lol)

Going with the more likely roster reduction scenario, PP will probably - no, almost 100% - get cut, but if that's the case, I doubt Geno would be as much of a priority for a smaller roster.

I'm just saying that removing less important characters from a franchise while adding seemingly more important ones (the latter I can't say Geno is) is still giving it a lot of reps. Would be hyped for Toad, though.
Okay We can both agree on toad hes really been long overdue!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Putting aside the Howdy Doody in the room, the idea that Daisy and Rosalina are "more important" than Piranha Plant is laughable, especially if your point is "Daisy and Rosalina are in platformers". They have bigger fandoms (especially prior to Plant's Smash addition) and more playable appearances, yes, but Plant has way more longevity and consistency to its appearances, even if most of them are unplayable, and has spawned a much wider variety of merchandise.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Putting aside the Howdy Doody in the room, the idea that Daisy and Rosalina are "more important" than Piranha Plant is laughable, especially if your point is "Daisy and Rosalina are in platformers". They have bigger fandoms (especially prior to Plant's Smash addition) and more playable appearances, yes, but Plant has way more longevity and consistency to its appearances, even if most of them are unplayable, and has spawned a much wider variety of merchandise.
But it is important as mook/stage hazard, not as a playable character. You want to properly honor the piranha plant? Make a Mario stage with some of them getting out of pipes, like they are known to.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
But it is important as mook/stage hazard, not as a playable character. You want to properly honor the piranha plant? Make a Mario stage with some of them getting out of pipes, like they are known to.
"Ridley is important as a boss battle, not as a playable character. You want to properly honor Ridley? Make a story mode with him as a boss to overcome, as he is known to be"

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
TBF, that's literally what they did in Brawl.
That's my point really, that they did that in Brawl and Wii U and people hated it - more specifically, that most first party Smash requests are bosses or sidekicks, and the only real difference between those and mooks is popularity alone. (and even then, mooks are pretty damn popular - just look at how much Slime merch gets pumped out a year. Goomba's basically the Ridley of Mario Kart itself.)

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Except no one wanted a playable piranha plant, who was never a character to begin with. Ridley was that: a prominent character. Meanwhile the plant is just one of the many, many mooks and stage hazards of the Mario franchise.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Not being a popular request is fine, if the entire roster was just the popular requests, it'd be a little boring and predictable. I don't mind if they get a bit creative sometimes. I would like if they do that sort of thing more for other/new series later on, but Piranha Plant isn't really worth getting agitated about.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Except no one wanted a playable piranha plant, who was never a character to begin with. Ridley was that: a prominent character. Meanwhile the plant is just one of the many, many mooks and stage hazards of the Mario franchise.
Well, people liked Piranha Plant upon reveal, so if you want to take the art-as-democracy route it clearly didn't matter in hindsight. The idea that popular inherently = good and unpopular inherently = bad is a very dangerous mindset in art, and will ultimately create soulless products with no clear direction or creativity, the latter of which is infinitely more important than "Hype grown man crying moments".

Also "not a character"? As if any Nintendo characters have more personality than Piranha Plant? Almost the entire Smash roster is blank slates and silent protagonists.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Well, people liked Piranha Plant upon reveal, so if you want to take the art-as-democracy route it clearly didn't matter in hindsight. The idea that popular inherently = good and unpopular inherently = bad is a very dangerous mindset in art, and will ultimately create soulless products with no clear direction or creativity, the latter of which is infinitely more important than "Hype grown man crying moments".

Also "not a character"? As if any Nintendo characters have more personality than Piranha Plant? Almost the entire Smash roster is blank slates and silent protagonists.
If I'm not mistaken, people specifically liked the novelty of Piranha Plant. But the novelty wore off remarkably fast.

Personally, I am fairly upset that Piranha Plant was the only mook chosen for Smash Ultimate. I'd have technically preferred that can of worms be opened over the high volume of third parties we got. Enemies like Waddle Dee from Kirby or Zelda's Bokoblin could be great fighters on their own right, both of which only scratch the surface. But particularly in the context of Mario enemies, where I actually dislike Piranha Plant and would much rather have something like Shy Guy be playable, or even Goomba. That's where the singular inclusion of an obnoxious plant enemy frustrates me more than anywhere else.

Top Bottom