• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Recovery tier list V1.1

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The original thread had over 1,000 posts.

One thousand posts.

Not very biased.

And I hope you're being sarcastic about your other statement.
How biased a thread's content is is not decided by how many people post in it, it's decided by how biased the people who post in the thread are.

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
Nah Bowsers recovery sucks. DK can avoid stuff, because DKs airspeed during his upB is really good and it lasts long enough to avoid attacks.

Bowser can not recover from below which makes it really predicable. It's also easy to edgehog him and I think you can spike or attack him out of his upB.

His recovery belongs in E rank. Not many characters if any have a worse recovery than he does. I know it isn't that bad, but nearly everyone has a better one. Ganons and Falcons are probably worse.
DK can't recover from below either, and you can spike or attack DK out of his upB too.

Ganon's and Falcon's are better than DK and Bowser combined.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Dk and Bowser have good horizontal recovery it is easier to avoid getting knocked down than it is to avoid getting knocked to the side and DK has much more horizontal distance. But I believe Falcon's is to low because he can DI his whole up-b to maneuver around edges. That reduces his gimpability.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
There was a huge discussion about Lucario in the original thread so... I don't think he'll move unless he finds something crazy.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
While ZSS has great potential for recovery, there remains great potential for it to be gimped. If you edgehog, her whips don't even grab it, the absolute least you can hope to acheive is to hit the person on the ledge and take them down with you.

For that reason, I think her recovery is a bit dissapointing, though her down B can sometimes help recover.

tocador

Smash Lord
why not moving diddy up =/

i mean, hes bellow folks like TL/Lucario/Zamus. Cmon, he has the greatest distance a Up B can achieve, a Side B can can gimp and recover, has good aerial mobillity, and some average Jumps.

Im not saying to move people down, or saying a recovery of whos in his front su***, but he desearves at least a B tier =/

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
How biased a thread's content is is not decided by how many people post in it, it's decided by how biased the people who post in the thread are.
On the amount of convention and debating. Not the amount of people, but the extent of evidence on why A is better than B. Improving it's reliability.

Rank A
Kirby
Sonic
Wario
Game and Watch

Finally :D

brinboy789

Smash Champion
diddy should move up to b, maybe even bottom of A. he has peanut popgun movement (sort of like marths B, cept wewaker), forward B, and fully charged up+B. thats more then enough to survive from almost anywhere

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Olimar with 6 pikmin lined up is not that bad of a recovery (granted this list doesn't incorporate the ease of gimping, but rather just the effectiveness of the recovery) The 6 can cover a large space and they do it quickly. It's NO DOUBT better than Ivysaur's

And how can Lucas and Ness be 3 ranks apart?

Let's leave the new "rankings list fad" alone. There was a projectile one and now a recovery one.............. there's gonna be a ****in "Utilt rankings list" next

TP

Smash Master
Olimar with 6 pikmin lined up is not that bad of a recovery (granted this list doesn't incorporate the ease of gimping, but rather just the effectiveness of the recovery) The 6 can cover a large space and they do it quickly. It's NO DOUBT better than Ivysaur's

And how can Lucas and Ness be 3 ranks apart?

Let's leave the new "rankings list fad" alone. There was a projectile one and now a recovery one.............. there's gonna be a ****in "Utilt rankings list" next
This list generally ranks how easy it is for someone to make it back to the stage once they are knocked off. For that reason, Olimar sucks. Really badly. I don't know if he is better than Ivysaur or not, but the ease of blocking his tether is just too big a problem.

Lucas is better than Ness for several reasons. His PK Thunder is harder to stop, since it goes through things. The move also sends him farther. His Zair is a tether if the situation calls for it. He also has zap jump and magnet pull (ask someone else if you want specifics) that give him more distance and more options.

This recovery list is actually quite old. This thread is young, but it is based on the thread before it. If the ranking fad is new, this was before its time.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
No, sorry

Falcon IS NOT BELOW MARIO. not a chance
he shuldn't be below ness and squirtle either, and, there is no reason for him to be under marth either. This is wrong.
You need more than that. What does CF have over them?
Mario can stall with the cape and semi protect him self.

Marth's Up B is ridiculous lol. And there was a large discussion on him.
Squirtles air movement is amazing and seldom has to use his up B. What does CF HAVE over them.

Aeropup

Smash Apprentice
Olimar needs to move up. He has decent airspeed, and is one of the slowest fallers in the game. He gets good distance on his second jump, and his tether is really really long. If the list ignores gimping and edgeguarding, edgehogging his tether should have no effect on his positioning.

Also, "nolimar" can snap to ledges with upB from the same distance as a three pikmin chain.

I'd put him.... between snake and charizard.

EDIT: Took out the marth/squirtle bit after I realized how stupid it was.

Browny

Smash Hater
this is a recovery tier list, not a 'length the up-b can travel' list, hence why snake is so low lol.

when you must recover, can you seriously say that olimar will be able to more often than any of the people that movement would put him above?

Aeropup

Smash Apprentice
when you must recover, can you seriously say that olimar will be able to more often than any of the people that movement would put him above?
Yes.

Olimar's falling speed is right down the bottom of the list, while sheik is 2nd. Olimar is one spot lower on the airspeed list, and sheik's DJ goes slightly higher. The differences here are neglegible, but so far, olimar has a better chance of making it back horizontally.

Pikmin chain reaches further than chain, and it beats vanish as well. Olimar has a huge ledge sweetspot, and sheik has terrible airspeed post-vanish.

Olimar has a better recovery than Sheik.

I'm not completely sure about charizard though. Can anyone support this?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Wow. PK nintendo has to deal with a lot of angry **** from a lot of inconsiderate ***** in this topic. I cant even believe he has put up with it so far.

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
You need more than that. What does CF have over them?
Mario can stall with the cape and semi protect him self.

Marth's Up B is ridiculous lol. And there was a large discussion on him.
Squirtles air movement is amazing and seldom has to use his up B. What does CF HAVE over them.
If someone tries to hop down and spike him, the up-B will give him a 2nd one to recover even further. The Side-B will also spike the opponents, as well as give him a boost.

Plus, his Up-B just goes further than Mario's. Higher, further (if facing the right way), and with a chance to explode off of an edgeguarding opponent and save yourself.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
IMO, Ike has two awesome recoveries for different situations. Aether for vertical gain, Quickdraw for horizontal gain. Move him up to at least Rank C plz. Also why is Fox so much better than Falco? Their recoveries are the same EXACTLY, except for the sole difference that Falco's blink is LONGER than Fox's. Either take Fox down to Rank D, or bring Falco up to C. (Wolf I can understand, he is quite different, leave him where he is.) Snake needs to be moved DOWN. His recoveries are not reliable and if he gets trapped under a wall/platform/strange object, he is done for. Move him to D please. Also, why the hell put Ganon with Bowser and Solo crap? He is almost similar to Ike in his recoveries, please move him up to C/High D. Also, explain why Marth is rank D, he should be at least C if not low B. His recovery is one of the fastest in the game, and it gives one of the highest vertical lifts as well.

Thats my block of text for today. I really think this was just thrown together, it might not even be half accurate.

Also, NZA please don't be a flint and start a big huge flame in this thread. I get enough of that from the Ike forums.

sonic 12111

Smash Journeyman
why is lucas so high. shouldnt he be in rank b or something. isnt his recovery abilities the same as nesses. unless you are counting jumps and pkfire boost. then i see what u are saying. his pk fire boost recovers pretty well i guess.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
If someone tries to hop down and spike him, the up-B will give him a 2nd one to recover even further. The Side-B will also spike the opponents, as well as give him a boost.

Plus, his Up-B just goes further than Mario's. Higher, further (if facing the right way), and with a chance to explode off of an edgeguarding opponent and save yourself.
I agree with CF's overall Up B distance being greater than Mario's but CF's Up B is far easier to intercept. The fact is that CF doesn't have very good defense options off-stage and his recovery is easy intercept and gimp.

PS: Mario's Up B is a far more powerful stage spike and is powerful even at 0 percent.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
IMO, Ike has two awesome recoveries for different situations. Aether for vertical gain, Quickdraw for horizontal gain. Move him up to at least Rank C plz. Also why is Fox so much better than Falco? Their recoveries are the same EXACTLY, except for the sole difference that Falco's blink is LONGER than Fox's. Either take Fox down to Rank D, or bring Falco up to C. (Wolf I can understand, he is quite different, leave him where he is.) Snake needs to be moved DOWN. His recoveries are not reliable and if he gets trapped under a wall/platform/strange object, he is done for. Move him to D please. Also, why the hell put Ganon with Bowser and Solo crap? He is almost similar to Ike in his recoveries, please move him up to C/High D. Also, explain why Marth is rank D, he should be at least C if not low B. His recovery is one of the fastest in the game, and it gives one of the highest vertical lifts as well.

Thats my block of text for today. I really think this was just thrown together, it might not even be half accurate.

Also, NZA please don't be a flint and start a big huge flame in this thread. I get enough of that from the Ike forums.
Just.... no

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Someone suggesting Ike moving up to C rank makes me sad. He should maybe be above Falco. The Ike boards talked about Ike's recovery VS Falco's recovery a while back. Falco falls faster then Ike, and is dead if he has to use Fire Bird. Ike is dead 95% of the time if he uses Quick Draw, but never has to use it as long as he still has his second jump. The other 5% of the time is very unique situations such as if Marth has countered Aether once, drops down to intercept the next one, but Ike got knocked high enough to QD onto the stage while Marth is down below. The difference between these characters' two bad recovery moves is that there are a lot more situations where Fire Bird would be required then there would be situations where QD would be needed. (Falco has no other way to recover if his DJ doesn't get him high enough, as long as Ike still has his DJ, he can cover the QD distance)

Illusion is a highly upgraded version of QD (or QD is a heavily nerfed version of illusion, however you wish to see it), but it still suffers some of the same weaknesses as QD, just not nearly to the same extent. If Falco has to shoot for the ledge, someone could edgehug it, or intercept with a fast enough attack, but is otherwise fairly safe due to it's speed. Aether is safe against people who lack disjointed attacks, but gets eaten alive by the likes of Marth's counter, or something like another Ike's Ftilt. Aether can also be edgehugged, but would require stricter timing due to the duration of the move. Both moves are spikes, but Aether's is much stronger and can pull people off of the ledge. Illusion is overall safer, but less threatening to the opponent.

Distance wise, I'm not sure which beats which. A fully charged QD would probably beat Illusion, but how often does that happen? Aether and Fire Bird would be fairly close in distance vertically. QD can hold a charge in the hopes the opponent messes up his timing, Fire Bird has more horizontal potential then Aether (at the cost of some vertical).

Overall, Fire Bird's complete helplessness and the fact there are situations where it's required bumps Falco, IMO, below Ike in recovery.

Frown

poekmon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McAeQiLmEYU&feature=related

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Rank S
Metaknight
Jigglypuff (Lower - horrid vertical recovery is horrid)
Pit
Rob

Rank A
Kirby (Equals Sonic - I can't decide between them; Kirby has multijumps and hammer, while Sonic has b-moves and invicibility)
Sonic
Wario (Below G&W - too dependent on bike, and vulnerable to spikes)
Game and Watch
Lucas
Pikachu (Above Lucas - who needs a tether when you have a multi-directional up-B?)

Rank B
King DDD (Bottom of Rank A - absolutely leagues ahead of the Rank B recoveries)
Toon Link
Luigi Above TL - 3 different recovery options > TL's 2
Samus
ZSS
Princess Peach
Lucario (Mid Rank C - I suppose this is from a Kirby main's perspective, but easily gimpable on any stage that is not Yoshi's Island Brawl)
Yoshi

Rank C
Fox
Diddy Kong
Snake
Charizard (Top of Rank D - Ridiculously gimpable, succumbs under pressure, midair jumps are tiny, glide is s l o w)
Sheik (Below Zelda - it's worse than Zelda's. That's all that needs to be said)
Ice Climbers
Zelda

Rank D
Squirtle
Marth
Mario
Ness
Captain Falcon
DK (Higher - DK's horizontal outclasses Falcon's vertical, but not by much)
Wolf
Falco (Higher - Incredible hoizontal recovery is no worse than Ness', and without the poor vertical could be better than Sheik)
Ike

Rank E
Bowser
Link (Just make it Link=Ganon to kill the endless, fruitless debate)
Ganondorf
Ivysaur
Olimar (Again, just make it Ivy=Olimar)
Solo Climber
Solo Olimar
Purple opinions

You may want to explain how you choose the list.
I concur.

I concur.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Jiggs can recover from above the stage every single time she's hit off. DI up and she's perfectly fine. Even if she is hit at a lower angle, she still has good enough vertical recovery (with what- like 6 or 7 jumps and pound?) to go high enough to literally recover overhead her opponent. Couple that with her being veeeery floaty, her fantastic aerial maneuverability and it's extremely hard to hit while she lands with a large majority of the cast.

The only reason MK's recovery is better is because it's nigh impossible to beat his combination of recovery methods if he uses them right.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Put Oli's higher than Ivysaur's.
Oli w/ six pikmin can cover more ground faster than Ivysaur. Move it

Gindler

Smash Champion

I'd take Ivy's over Ike's anyday. At least she doesn't have so many death angles, razor leaf and Bullet seed work to knick them off then quickly vine whip. If not I can just go for a sweetspotted vinewhip to stage spike as a last resort.

Congrats on putting snake in a good spot. His recovery is pretty easily gimped if you can catch him at the right level, and any attack that hits moderatley hard will knock him right out of his recovery (just work on spiking him in his hitstun from his c4 recovery. that's fun)

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Falcon has average recovery. Firstly, he has great air mobility, its like 4th in the game or something. He also has a fast falling speed, which means he gets back quickly. His jumps are good height wise. His Up-B is possibly the hardest thing to gimp since it goes through shield and has super armour. it also stage spikes, which might make some edgegaurders a bit cautious. His Up-B reaches surprisingly far. He has his side-B, Raptor boost, which is incredibly helpful because of the fact that it spikes. This is crazily good and makes people think twice about edgegaurding. He can wall jump, and his up-b doesn't put him in fall special if it hits an opponent. H also has Falcon Kick for if he gets hit high and want to recover low. He can go under battlefield and smashvile using FP.

Falcon pros over Mario:
gets to the stage faster because of fast falling speed.
jumps and Up-B get further vertically and further horizontally.
Up-B is a grab.
up-B doesn't go into fall special if it gets an enemy.
Up-B has bigger range.
Falcon has RB, which spikes.
Can go under smashville and battle field.
Falcon slides up the lips of FD, unlike mario.

Mario pros over Falcon:
Has his cape for air stalling.
smaller.
has his cape for ledge stalling.

Below Ness? That must be a joke. Ness has the most ridiculously gimpable recovery EVER. I mean, he sits there for ages just waiting for you to spike/knee him or to shoot a projectile or cancel the blue sperm. granted it gets him far, but its so gimpable. pretty much all the reasons for why hes higher than mario.

For squirtle. His Up-B is far better at everything, and altogether he gets more vertical distance. Falcon gets there faster and has side-b and falcon kick which are very useful. I would say that Falcon is quite a bit above Squirtle.

As for Marth, I would say its about even. Marth gets quite a bit more vertically, but Falcon gets much, much further horizontally. Falcon gets there quicker, has side-B and Marth has his Side-B for a bit extra height and air stalling. Marth also has his nuetral B for when he is recovering high, and Falcon has his down b so that he can recover low, from high.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Put Oli's higher than Ivysaur's.
Oli w/ six pikmin can cover more ground faster than Ivysaur. Move it
I have no idea what this means. I think its getting at the fact that Olimar has far better horizontal aerial movement than Ivysaur, which is a big plus. Also, Olimar has whistle armour.

Olimar > Ivysaur

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Falcon has average recovery. Firstly, he has great air mobility, its like 4th in the game or something. He also has a fast falling speed, which means he gets back quickly. His jumps are good height wise. His Up-B is possibly the hardest thing to gimp since it goes through shield and has super armour. it also stage spikes, which might make some edgegaurders a bit cautious. His Up-B reaches surprisingly far. He has his side-B, Raptor boost, which is incredibly helpful because of the fact that it spikes. This is crazily good and makes people think twice about edgegaurding. He can wall jump, and his up-b doesn't put him in fall special if it hits an opponent. H also has Falcon Kick for if he gets hit high and want to recover low. He can go under battlefield and smashvile using FP.

Falcon pros over Mario:
gets to the stage faster because of fast falling speed.
jumps and Up-B get further vertically and further horizontally.
Up-B is a grab.
up-B doesn't go into fall special if it gets an enemy.
Up-B has bigger range.
Falcon has RB, which spikes.
Can go under smashville and battle field.
Falcon slides up the lips of FD, unlike mario.

Mario pros over Falcon:
Has his cape for air stalling.
smaller.
has his cape for ledge stalling.
I just realized this while rereading it for the third time, but Falcon's recovery is better than Mario's.

Below Ness? That must be a joke. Ness has the most ridiculously gimpable recovery EVER. I mean, he sits there for ages just waiting for you to spike/knee him or to shoot a projectile or cancel the blue sperm. granted it gets him far, but its so gimpable. pretty much all the reasons for why hes higher than mario.

For squirtle. His Up-B is far better at everything, and altogether he gets more vertical distance. Falcon gets there faster and has side-b and falcon kick which are very useful. I would say that Falcon is quite a bit above Squirtle.
Uhh...ever heard of a second jump?

As for Marth, I would say its about even. Marth gets quite a bit more vertically, but Falcon gets much, much further horizontally. Falcon gets there quicker, has side-B and Marth has his Side-B for a bit extra height and air stalling. Marth also has his nuetral B for when he is recovering high, and Falcon has his down b so that he can recover low, from high.
Marth's recovery is better, if not by much. First off, he's floaty, so he can afford to attack his edgeguarder rather than try to avoid him and risk missing the edge. Also, the Side-B stall should deter most edgeguards (both characters' primary weaknesses). Finally, he has invincibility on startup. Marth>Falcon

Top Bottom