• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hope your aunt goes peacefully man.

Just make her happy in the time you got.

D

Deleted member

Glad I could come back to a villain/antagonist discussion. Those are my favorite types of characters to talk about.
I was writing stuff for my villain and when I come here, y'all are talking about villains. Nice. I'll just use this opportunity to ask:

What do you guys like in a villain? Do you have any favorite type of villain?
Depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
I'd say there's basically a scale that boils down to "How much do you want the audience to hate this character?".
Do you want your audience to see them as a complete monster or as someone sympathetic? Are they a victim of their circumstances or just evil by choice? Do they have a point or are they just bat**** insane?

I think my favorite type of villain to see is the Dark Humor type. Think of the Joker, Kefka or Count Olaf, those are all villains that instill fear but at the same time make you kaugh at how absurd they go about their evilness... and how effective it all is.

Regardless, every villain(that's actually supposed to be a threat) should change the whole tone of a scene when they appear. I noticed this a lot when watching Hunter x Hunter recently but everytime Hisoka popped up onscreen, the whole mood changed and it was clear it wasn't safe for any characters to be around him. Of course, you have to show that, if they never show how much of a threat they are, the mood change won't be effective. For a more popular example, think of Darth Vader: the moment that door in Cloud City opens and you see Vader is sitting there, the whole thing suddenly changes. Not because the Emoure is there, they could escape some thousands of Stormtroopers but Vader? Yeah, someone's getting frozen for sure.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Morally ambiguous villains are weird. It's either hit on the ****ing nail or miss so hard you ended up hitting yourself.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I hate how they handled Doc Oc in that game. Like his arc is fine but I'm sick of needing an origin story for EVERY new superhero universe.
Spiderman PS4 and the Batman Arkham games did this pretty well for the most part, like they assumed we knew about the Joker, Riddler, etc so it didn't shove exposition down our throats, but Spidey Ps4 game still felt the need to drag out Doc Oc as if we don't know that he's gonna be a villain
I mean I feel like it was necessary because this version of Doc Ock is meant to be more of a tragic antagonist rather than a full on villain.

Do you know how ****ty a live action Princess and the Frog would be? Why make a movie live action if it's mostly gonna have to be CG frogs?
Unfortunately it didn’t stop the from doing that with Jungle Book and the Lion King.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"A hero is only as great as his greatest villain."

Hence why I think the whole "villain spin-off" films are such a dumb idea. Who wants to watch a Joker movie without Batman?
harley.gif

Just because it won't be Batman doesn't mean the movie will inherently be devoid of an antagonist that challenges the Joker's character. Joker and Batman might be opposites of each other, but stories that feature a different, less antithetical Batman villain can and have worked well too.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
View attachment 190698

Just because it won't be Batman doesn't mean the movie will inherently be devoid of an antagonist that challenges the Joker's character. Joker and Batman might be opposites of each other, but stories that feature a different, less antithetical Batman villain can and have worked well too.
When I saw you replied with a Suicide Squad gif I got scared that you were gonna defend it but you're definitely right. Any story that is really focused on character building just needs someone to work off of, maybe not a stereotypical hero/villain thing

D

Deleted member

My Aunt is in the hospital and she's not expected to live another 24 hours
I'm really sorry. Good luck, and, I want to tell you something.

When my aunt was born, she came out feet first, not head first. The doctors there thought she was going to die. It seemed like she was in the worst condition possible.

But she lived. Even though she has cerebral palsy, she is alive today, and I love here so much.

So, even though she's not expected to stay alive, it does not mean that it is definitely going to happen.

Either way, you and your aunt have my support. I am sorry about this, and I really hope she is okay in the end.

D

Deleted member

I like having sympathetic villains but I also don't like writing away from a villain death so my idea for my main villain was to have her as someone who desires to become the ultimate evil because the stories she grew up with taught her to perceive "those who try to change the world" as villains but she's actually just a good person who can't bring herself to do any more "evil" than the protagonist herself already does which basically amounts to killing knights, nobles and royalty with good publicity who were actually terrible people(as most knights, nobles and royalty actually were unlike what fiction wants you to believe but that's another topic for another day)
Basically, she'd be the opposite of a villain who sees themselves as the hero: a hero who sees themselves as the villain, whatever trope that would be.
yes i know this doesn't make her a villain in the writing sense it's justveasier to write that instead of antagonist
Yeah... but that was because of him.

It was turned off because he was too jealous to share the spotlight. His motive isn't sympathetic at all.
Tbh, I forgot that but regardless, the intention wasn't to paint him as sympathetic but "he went through a situation already estabilished in-universe even if ut was his own doing"

NineS

Smash Lord
I actually get that. I've found that when I need to concentrate, any music with English lyrics are problematic. So I've found huge amounts of instrumental or foreign music as a result. Sometimes not understanding the words makes a sung song all the more beautiful. You're focusing on the voice and not the meaning.

Maybe that's why Nier Automata's soundtrack uses a nonsense language. NineS NineS ?
Not really sure why they use a nonsense language.
It is a language, a made up language that can be deciphered and understood. It's just, no one has really managed to decode it yet. And those who can haven't put forth effort to.
But yeah, I agree with you there. Sometimes the voice along makes the music better. And at times, the meaning does the same.

Just a penguin

Smash Master
You know what would be a good story? A hero employs morally grey tactics to defeat the villain, and gradually takes over the town with an iron fist to stop any villain from rising up again. Eventually, a new hero comes over, call this hero the villain, and fights against him/her. Eventually the hero comes to a realization that they have become the villain.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
minecraft log day one:

still not used to the controls

imprisoned myself in a dirt house so no monster may slay me

life is good

Graizen

Smash Champion
23:50 here in Brazil , im hungry
Made a sandwich with ham and cheese, mayonnaise and Catchup
Watching some anime.

Life is great.

D

Deleted member

I want ti talk about my story ideas but at the same time not because I'd like to turn this into an actual thing someday. Being a writer is suffering.
You know what would be a good story? A hero employs morally grey tactics to defeat the villain, and gradually takes over the town with an iron fist to stop any villain from rising up again. Eventually, a new hero comes over, call this hero the villain, and fights against him/her. Eventually the hero comes to a realization that they have become the villain.
He Who Fights Monsters

D

Deleted member

@Shishœ
Who is in your avatar?

Also time flies fast. I feel like we will get Joker information in the next direct.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I want ti talk about my story ideas but at the same time not because I'd like to turn this into an actual thing someday. Being a writer is suffering.
Oof, I know that feel. And the worst part is trying to maintain internal consistency. I have a lot of dumb elements that I know are dumb, but I can't retcon them out without making things worse.

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
On the topic of villains, who is everyone's favorite video game villain?

For me, it's definitely Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2. He's quite the compelling character, as he genuinely considers himself to be the hero of the story. Granted, he did start out with good intentions, but eventually went off the deep end. Plus he's hilarious.

Runners-up are Daud from Dishonored and Porky from Earthbound/Mother 3.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
minecraft log day two:

tried to find wood, found out they're all birch and threw up

expanded dirt house

still no coal RIP

D

Deleted member

For me, it's definitely Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2. He's quite the compelling character, as he genuinely considers himself to be the hero of the story. Granted, he did start out with good intentions, but eventually went off the deep end. Plus he's hilarious.

Either Ganondorf or Dracula.

D

Deleted member

@Shishœ
Who is in your avatar?

Also time flies fast. I feel like we will get Joker information in the next direct.
His avatar is Kurapika from Hunter x Hunter. Which is ironic because when I first talked about Hunter x Hunter with him he had no idea who Kurapika was.

D

Deleted member

Gotta be Porky for me :D

D

Deleted member

23:50 here in Brazil , im hungry
Made a sandwich with ham and cheese, mayonnaise and Catchup
Watching some anime.

Life is great.
Wait, you're Brazilian too? I guess that explains why you like Digimon so much then.
@Shishœ
Who is in your avatar?

Kurapika from HunterXHunter

Speaking of which, how many of you guys know what Kurapika sounds like in Portuguese?
Oof, I know that feel. And the worst part is trying to maintain internal consistency. I have a lot of dumb elements that I know are dumb, but I can't retcon them out without making things worse.
Sometimes I'll try to fit the specific emotional beat or theme I want even if it doesn't so I have to write everything around it and it's a mess.

Also, it's hard for me to decide on a setting or genre but the one thing that's consistent are the characters and their relationshios with one another which mught indicate what I value most of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom