• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Is MVC a game where you either block or hit? Isn't there any punishes in this game?
Some attacks/things have frame advantage when blocked.

Some attacks/things don't.

Zoning/prediction also helps, too. >_> It'll come with time.

Edit: Believe it or not, advancing guard does help against Ryu/Akuma's TATSU-SOMETHINGSOMETHINGSOMETHING. You just gotta react quick enough. I know one of my favorite (and most hilariously effective) punishes for that with Dorm is 6H. Knocks 'em right back against the wall and sets 'em up for a combo (THC or walled) of my choice. Or I could teleport, or I could just drop a Flame Carpet and do stuff, or I could just call in an assist, or...

You get the idea. Beware, though. Just because Ryu/Akuma are spinning around like mofos doesn't mean they can't call for BACK-UP (insert Cap voice here). It's a shoddy "trap" (throwback) but if you're being a nublet it can be damn effective. Be on your toes.

Fifty thousand edits: J, Ice Storm isn't " :L ." It's more like " :D. " That move is amazing.

Smooth Criminal

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So what are these event titles about? There are no events in this game!?

Also, will someone play with me sometime for these odd achievements, such as MODOK fighting someone and what not. I don't care who wins, I just want the trophies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Is MVC a game where you either block or hit? Isn't there any punishes in this game?
What do you mean by punishes?

One thing SC didn't mention was about high and low blocking. If you're opponent is attacking from the air, block high, but certain ground attacks are capable of this as well. Block low in just about every other situation.

For helping developing the vital skill of prediction, learn the matchups (which you will just by playing the game), be aware of all your opponents options and his tendencies, and to throw him off, mix up your approaches.

Oh, and this is what I hear in my head every time, Mishka - I mean Ammy gets K.O.d.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gRw-lfXy_tQ#t=17s

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm okay with that.
You would be.

Don't know why but I think morrigan's Japanese voice sounds like a voice actor from Panty and stocking.
I always use red Morrigan to make her look more like Scanty/Kneesocks.

Dude...Doom's missle assist can be used for OTG combos?

Wtf, man.
If you call it early enough yeah. You'd need to call it a long time before they hit the ground though or else they'll hit your opponent during another part of your combo.

I noticed that Morrigan's standing H beats Hulk's super armor and also Sentinel's, same doesn't apply to freakin haggar though.
Haggar doesn't actually have any super armor. The closest thing he has is his Lariat, which is fully invincible and you can't do anything to hit him out of it.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I have recently realized that I am not playing Ryu, but instead playing Shinkuu Hadoken, and I am kind of okay with that.

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
What do you mean by punishes?

One thing SC didn't mention was about high and low blocking. If you're opponent is attacking from the air, block high, but certain ground attacks are capable of this as well. Block low in just about every other situation.

For helping developing the vital skill of prediction, learn the matchups (which you will just by playing the game), be aware of all your opponents options and his tendencies, and to throw him off, mix up your approaches.

Oh, and this is what I hear in my head every time, Mishka - I mean Ammy gets K.O.d.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gRw-lfXy_tQ#t=17s
By punishes I mean like in smash. Example, if I were fighting snake with my metaknight I would just punish him each time he pulled out a grenade by doing Up-B, if Falco decided to use Side-B I would punish him with tornado. Things like that, moves that beat other moves.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
The primary reason that doesn't happen much here is because defense options aren't retardedly good.

Smash's shield is what fundamentally makes it such a ridiculously defensive game. There's virtually no block-stun, and as a result, blockstrings are exceedingly rare, which lead to that gameplay focus on punishing someone from your shield.

It's still POSSIBLE in MVC3, but far less common because many moves are DESIGNED to be safe on block. Unlike Brawl, where there's only 4 or 5 moves that have legitimate frame advantage.

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
The primary reason that doesn't happen much here is because defense options aren't retardedly good.

Smash's shield is what fundamentally makes it such a ridiculously defensive game. There's virtually no block-stun, and as a result, blockstrings are exceedingly rare, which lead to that gameplay focus on punishing someone from your shield.

It's still POSSIBLE in MVC3, but far less common because many moves are DESIGNED to be safe on block. Unlike Brawl, where there's only 4 or 5 moves that have legitimate frame advantage.
Ah I see, thanks, but just so you know: Morrigan's 5H beats Hulk's 5H and some of sentinel's moves. Also I JUST found out that Haggar's weak spot are his feet during his double lillat.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm fairly sure Double Lariat is full body invulnerable, but I'd have to check.

And if memory serves, Morrigan's 5H is multi-hit, and Hulk's 5H only has single-hit armor, as does Sentinel's 2M.

However, Sentinel's launcher is Hyper Armored, like Hsien-Ko's super.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
By punishes I mean like in smash. Example, if I were fighting snake with my metaknight I would just punish him each time he pulled out a grenade by doing Up-B, if Falco decided to use Side-B I would punish him with tornado. Things like that, moves that beat other moves.
Every fighting game has those, but not quite like Smash. Because of Smash's priority system, you are going to have blatant examples of one move being beaten by the other due to damage differences. However, in other fighers, what beats what is a matter of hitbox positioning and sometimes you'll have it where both hit and both players are hit or "trade hits". This is why poking is very important. You will also have cases where invincibility on certain attacks cause it to beat other attacks. For example, I can have Wolverine charge at me with his attacks, but I could counter that with She-Hulk's Road Rampage hyper because of the invincibility on its startup.

Aside from that, there are moves that you want to use to punish mistakes. For example in Street Fighter,if you decide to jump in on a standing Ryu, you just left yourself open to being hit by his Shoryuken since you can't air block in that game.

Feel free to ask any more questions. Oh, and don't bring up scenarios involving Meta Knight since he's stupid.

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
I'm fairly sure Double Lariat is full body invulnerable, but I'd have to check.

And if memory serves, Morrigan's 5H is multi-hit, and Hulk's 5H only has single-hit armor, as does Sentinel's 2M.

However, Sentinel's launcher is Hyper Armored, like Hsien-Ko's super.
Nope, is not full body, the only parts that are invulnerable is anything ABOVE his pants. But the hitbox kind of extends towards his knees. BUT his shins are fair game. I can attack them with Morrigan's 2H, Trish's 2M and 2H, and tron is kind of hard since her crouch is mediocre.

MetaKnight is a fun character to play as and he looks cool. I only play as characters I like. In Melee I main samus and in BlazBlue I mained Hazama.
PS: Erryone knows that MetaKnight is just Melee jigglypuff wearing a mask and cape.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Is there a hitbox at Haggar's feet during the first couple of frames of lariet? That's how it is with Zangief in Super.

btw, I main who I like too. It's just that my favorite characters always turn out to be top tier.

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
MetaKnight is the only character I ever liked that ended up being top tier. And yes you can hit Haggar out of his lariet if you hit this feet.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
nononono, I mean, I already know you can hit him at his feet in the middle of Lariet, but I don't think you can do it at the very beginning of Lariet because I believe he'll get this huge initial hitbox that goes away quickly as the move continues.

lol, I'mma look at my history of mains:

BBCT: Rachel
BBCS: Bang (until Makoto came out who is apparently top in CSII)
SF4: Sagat
SSF4: Cammy
Brawl: Meta Knight (and Lucario...)
Brawl+: Lucario and Ivysaur
Melee: Fox
64: Pikachu
MvC2: (before I even knew what fighting games were) Row

Impersonator

Smash Cadet
Mine are/were

BBCT: Litchi/Ragna
BBCS: Hazama
SSF4: Cody
Brawl: MetaKnight, Marth, Gannon
Melee: Samus
64: Captain Falcon
Tekken: Yotshimitzu
Soul Calibur: Ivy

JUST tested it out, Haggar's WHOLE body is invincible on start up, he spins 3 times, you may only hurt his feet after the 2nd spin is done. Basically, he is safe during the first spin and only safe until the second spin finishes, meaning you may hit him right after the second spin is done or just play it safe and hit him during his 3rd spin.

Octave

Smash Ace
I'm done playing against spammers online. I want to play people who actually want to play the game. I want to get ****ing combo'd >>

PSN: Octavize | I'll be on later tonight.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
maybe some people enjoy spamming. i know i do lol

but u know what i spam? hsien ko dizzy items YAYUHZZZZZZZZZ LOL

anyway

i love

josh wong's viewtiful joe ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLL

i never thought he could be used that way. so hilarious. VOOMERANG

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
xmen vs street fighter - magz/wolvie
mvc2 - cable/blackheart/capcom (YUP)
64 - fox
melee - ice climbers
brawl - sheik
mvc3 - hsien ko/x-23/tron
3rd strike - makoto
sfiv - chun
ssfiv - makoto
scii - mitsurugi
scii - zerg
scbw - zerg
naruto ultimate ninja preshippuden games - ino
shippuden - kankuro / sakura for teams and ffa
naruto UNS2 - temari (this game ***** soooooo hard)
pokemon gen iv - infernape
pokemon gen v - chandelure/lilligant
ocarina of time - link

Top Bottom