• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCF Brawl in Orlando (Central Florida) + CFL PR Thread

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
i feel like i'm in bizarro world

any error along the chain of matches can effect the point values of any player involved (even 10 matches down the line you're gonna have a massive amount of errors; it doesn't go away)

if an elo system is gonna be used it at least needs to be administrated properly/accurately which i'm trying to prove it's not

what gallax has released is a joke and should be trashed (and a new system with a complete reset in its place assuming the populace actually wants that)

gallax should likely not be involved either as he's shown a great deal of incompetence and negligence

Exdeath

Smash Master
i feel like i'm in bizarro world

any error along the chain of matches can effect the point values of any player involved (even 10 matches down the line you're gonna have a massive amount of errors; it doesn't go away)

if an elo system is gonna be used it at least needs to be administrated properly/accurately which i'm trying to prove it's not

what gallax has released is a joke and should be trashed (and a new system with a complete reset in its place assuming the populace actually wants that)

gallax should likely not be involved either as he's shown a great deal of incompetence and negligence
Who would replace him? You?

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Yes there are many draw backs to an elo system. Just like there are draw backs to a PR.

I was unaware that gallax was subjectively giving non cfl players artificial rankings in order to count loses. I understand him doing this and i am not sure if i agree or disagree with it. From the out side it seems like a poor choice, but i run the most organized elo system in FL and i have first hand knowledge of this exact situation. So from my inside Point of view i think that Gallax has addressed one of the flaws in the (my) elo system. By doing this he ensures that players who beat only CFL and lose to only non cfl dont get inflated scores.
(gallax i would like to talk to you about this)

I also think that Gallax NEEDS to post all the information regarding what an Elo system is. What his adaptation is and ALL of the ways he makes his calculations. This way players know exactly what he is doing behind the scenes. I also feel that since the elo system will involve a very small degree of subjectivity he should ask for help from a peer that he respects so much that he will listen and compromise with and someone with a different point of view.

I also feel that you need to put more care into posting the results and making the calculations. There is no reason you should have repeat names or two versions of the same player. With more attention to detail that would not be a problem.

The elo system gives all players a feel of were they are. In my opinion it is much more encouraging than the traditional 10 man power ranking. Give Gallax time to work out the kinks. I is a great thing and i give gallax my full support.

Here is a link to the Elo System that I run at FGCU http://www.fgcuvgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=360&start=10

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
Who would replace him? You?
i would very much say "no"

i'd highly recommend just not doing a system like this

stuff and things
if this is to be used to rank only members of a particular region (which it seems it is) then no cfl vs. x (other region) should be counted

i agree that transparency is very important

ZERO subjectivity should exist in a math-based system

i disagree that a system like this is more encouraging and may cause more boasting than if **** just remained a very quiet understanding of skill. cheapens the idea of a real ranking and who should be looked up to for their skill

this whole system is just esp. silly for it being ONLY cfl. This is a few (maybe one) poorly skilled players attempting to bring themselves up in a very artificial and arbitrary way. That's how i see it.

tl;dr I'm making a NFL PR and i'm grandfathering my *** in with 20k elo pizzoints and will never play

gallax

Smash Hero
Hey guys. There were 3 players at a tournament with the name trump. Like, literally three. I knew who the trump on the PR was simply because someone told me his losses and i could just find him that way. But the repeat players were 2 players who entered with the name trump. Sorry if you cant understand that. I am not repeating players. I am not incompetent. I am very aware of what I a doing. I have two people in their senior year of a stats major helping me with this. I also am very well aware of the flaws in the system.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
beyond that there's 2 oljo's

your stat. major friends should've known right off the bat that you're injecting subjectivity into which very much hurts the legitimacy of your data/conclusions.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
zmt mah dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol j/k but for real good to see you still around/going to college

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Yeah going to NLL, living in knights circle atm, school looks really good , looking forward to seeing everyone more then once a year lol

_Dice

Smash Ace
Yeah going to NLL, living in knights circle atm, school looks really good , looking forward to seeing everyone more then once a year lol
Oh god. knights circle = pegasus landing. good luck sir. that place is hell.

SAX

Smash Ace
Hey man, I don't know why you guys think Gmoney is mean, he's one of the nicest people I met! He bought me a Choco Taco!

SAX

Smash Ace
So about those mk mains....what happened lol man you guys got freed up at NLL lol

:phone:
It's only because they've been using MK for the entire game and they haven't had enough time to practice with other characters! It's not fair to them so give the MK mains a break scrub!

:troll:

radiX/Gallax hydra

Smash Rookie
I dont think Nick realizes that no one here cept halberd and exdeath main mk. And halberd almost won sooo yeah... nicks statement to troll isnt that effective in this thread. Thats the thing with black people though, always saying the dumbest ****.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i have never laughed so hard in my life rofl. keep it coming. ill help if you want

Exdeath

Smash Master
That comic was well done. I love that script they had that forced scrolling and played a sound effect when you passed a certain point. It would've scared me had I not recently sat down and played through five Silent Hill games lol.

:rosalina:
You ruined it for me. :(

Top Bottom