• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top ten at Apex 2013 predictions.

Battlecow

Play to Win
kk vs, mango rematch would be ********, they've played each other like 800 times. give us armada vs. kk
shouldn't do stuff based on what we wanna see, a-strife knows that though

I love this thread
I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. Now I'm really curious about what you were thinking, but I guess I'll never know.

What do you think of this seeding? Based on results since and including Apex 2012.

1. Armada
2. Mango
3. PP
4. Hbox
5. Javi
6. KK
7. Axe
8. Shroomed
no m2k is stupid, he's done well at a ****load of stuff since apex. based on zenith, rom (eh), impulse, etc etc he should be at least 6, probably 5.

axe is... an interesting problem. I don't disagree though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
battlecow: in this community a tournament is an experience as well as a test of skill. it's unfair to both KK and mango to have them travel thousands of miles and then be on the same side of the bracket /again/ when they've met each other at multiple tournaments already. on top of that they also met in semis at apex 2012; it'd be dumb to wait a year and then have a similar bracket.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
Javi outplaced M2K at Apex. Javi won against PP, M2K did not (though he took a set).

There's isn't terribly much to go by in the past year with either Javi or M2K but I think the argument for Javi getting a higher seed is a bit stronger.

Maybe Axe > KK if we want to avoid the KK/Mango matchup.

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
Javi outplaced M2K at Apex. Javi won against PP, M2K did not (though he took a set).

There's isn't terribly much to go by in the past year with either Javi or M2K but I think the argument for Javi getting a higher seed is a bit stronger.
i really think it would've been different if they had met in brackets at any point, they played friendlies and m2k got him with relative ease

Battlecow

Play to Win
yeah friendlies are meaningless for sure. basing a seeding decision on a few matches where the players weren't told they'd be important and which were only the recorded ones out of a bunch of stuff? ew.

battlecow: in this community a tournament is an experience as well as a test of skill. it's unfair to both KK and mango to have them travel thousands of miles and then be on the same side of the bracket /again/ when they've met each other at multiple tournaments already. on top of that they also met in semis at apex 2012; it'd be dumb to wait a year and then have a similar bracket.
I mean, that's one opinion, but I (and the apex staff, apparently) believe that it should be as competitive as possible, and fun will follow. If I were armada I'd be pissed if you gave me a more challenging opponent and mango an easy pass "for the fans" (NOT that shroomed/whoever gets seeded 8th is an easy pass for armada AT ALL, but the point stands). I think it's more important to be fair to all of the players than good to the fans.

That said, KK vs mango is far from certain. First of all, there are a number of ways you could seed this thing, and KK is not necessarily 7th; that's just one reasonable place to put him. Secondly, they all have to get to WQ's, which is by no means an easy path. There are a bunch of monstrously good players who could easily pull upsets.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
R2_GP: No, but why would you base tournament seeds on friendlies either. Seeding isn't an idle game of who's-better-than-whom; it rewards players for placing well in tournaments.

Battlecow: I'm interested what you mean by Axe being an interesting problem. I think I know what you're getting at but not sure.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean he didn't do so hot at the last apex, or really at any major tournaments except for FC and KoC. But at FC and KoC, he took third both times, really impressive placings (especially KoC). It's a little like javi in that we have very limited results to draw from, but unlike javi, there are also contradictory results.

I don't know what I'd do with him, but two third places at road to apex tourneys is something not a lot of other contenders for the high seeds can say.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Based purely off tournament results, the top 8 are Armada, Mango, PP, HBox, M2K, Javi, KK, Axe, so seeding should be Armada vs Axe, HBox vs M2K, and Mango vs KK, PP vs Javi. Yeah, it's a lot of repeated matches that we've all seen before, but seeding should be based on performance, not entertainment of the matches.

Shroomed would be a very close 9th, and Wobbles for 10th, in my opinion. Wobbles would probably be like 6th or so, but we haven't seen him in action at any nationals for awhile. Same deal with Taj.

And I'd argue Javi below M2K only because of lack of results. Maybe he's higher or lower, maybe he's even a top 4 seed, but we simply don't know.

But really, he's like 2nd. :awesome:

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
Battlecow: Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Shroomed and Hax are IMO the next closest players and they both outranked Axe by a lot at Apex, but I give more weight to the recent and repeat 3rd place.

Wobbles > Axe is an interesting argument though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I don't know about hax. I would put him below shroomed for sure for sure for sure, even if shroomed did choke at FC. But maybe I'm holding onto the shroomed-invincibility myth after its time has passed; still, his performance at KoC was far from bad.

What if Fly goes? His results put him above wobbles IMO, even though I think wobbles is prolly the better player deep in my biased mind. top 10 seeding for him? I'd say so, even if I don't think he'll get top 12 results-wise.

We also might be overlooking SFAT because of anti-fox bias, but his results are MAD impressive.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
Yeah I guess Hax should definitely be seeded below Shroomed. Not sure what Hax has done this year actually except get 6th (?) at FC.

There might be an argument for PPU too. Wish I had some tournament results in front of me so I could see how these players stack up against each other.

Battlecow

Play to Win
PPU does good but doesn't travel, he should be seeded high but not near top 10. Major wise he really only has KoC

the_CAM_factor

Smash Journeyman
the ct smash ludus... or ecsu when im at school
Yeah I guess Hax should definitely be seeded below Shroomed. Not sure what Hax has done this year actually except get 6th (?) at FC.

There might be an argument for PPU too. Wish I had some tournament results in front of me so I could see how these players stack up against each other.
hax got second to m2k at nec, he beat unknown(although its debatable if he was playing with a good mindset)

Hax

Smash Champion
top 10 in melee right now:

1. Armada
2. Mango
3. PP
4. Hbox
5/6. M2K/Javi
7/8. Axe/KK
9/10. me/Shroomed

(no order within the 5/6, 7/8, and 9/10)

Diakonos

Smash Lord
If Leffen doesn't choke, he'll probably hit top 13... dude is talented. Wish he were more likeable online, haha.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
just a response to Landry if you look up he asked about him.
haha yeah, makes sense. I just thought it was funny because Hax was talking about top 10 melee players (not necessarily Apex placers) when Landry replied. From that perspective, it just seemed like you were saying that with no precedent XD. Though this topic is supposed to be top 10 at Apex, so obv. I understand why you mentioned it.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Unknown522 is probably no.10. With him no at this there is no clear 10th best, but from what I understand only the top 8 is relevant for seeding.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
I predict a huge upset and armada not making top 8, and axe taking it with javi in 2nd and mango in 3rd

At least, I hope :/

:phone:

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Unknown522 is probably no.10. With him no at this there is no clear 10th best, but from what I understand only the top 8 is relevant for seeding.
Except he's lost to all of Shroomed, Javi, Hax, KK, HBox, and Wobbles, rofl.

But he is right below all of them.

leffen

Smash Champion
I never quite understood how people can say "axe top 10 fo sho" and then "lol leffen/europe 33rd" when axe ALSO placed 33rd at apex

oh and so did plup, chu dat and kage. they sure *** hell could never do better than that, eh?

I'm just sayin, im gonna put in work, and **** all dem haters

@strong bad. last time I checked, you still couldnt make it out of pools. and you can't even do well in a game that you designed for yourself, LOL. A potfodder hating on a player doing way better than you could hope for? imho you just look pathetic.

leffen

Smash Champion
Ad hominem involves insulting or belittling one's opponents in order to invalidate their argument, which I'm not trying to do.

I'm just saying, I think you making fun of me for getting 33rd, is pretty ****ing pathetic considering your standing. Not trying to make anyone think that I didn't get 33rd lmao

Top Bottom