• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top ten at Apex 2013 predictions.

Ballin

Smash Apprentice
I started with CZ for 2 years, then played 1.6 for 6 years.
To me, that game is so much more mental than anything else. Just like in smash I supposed, but I'd have rituals and exercises before matches to calm me down and get me in a confident head space.
That being said, I never got out of Cal-m/ESEA-im

I haven't played in like a year, but lovage gimme some lessons plz =P

Warhawk

Smash Lord
same reason as ppl questioning tom bradys legacy after the last superbowl
Despite the fact that he's lost his last two superbowl appearances and 4 of his last 6 playoff matches I don't think anyone questions that Brady is still one of the best of all time. Maybe they question if he'd have as many rings if he hadn't played for New England, but unless their delusional they still recognize him as one of the greats to have played the game. I'm a Colts fan and hate Brady, but he's still one of the best ever. Same thing applies for Mango and should apply to him, maybe his years at the top of the competitive smash community are waning, but he's still one of the best if not the best ever to play smash.

Super

Smash Apprentice
Yes, a single loss despite years of being on top would remove Armada from his position.

:phone:
And Armada has won every tournament since the start of 2011 with no exceptions.
Guys, Armada is the top player and amazing, but you're exaggerating. He wasn't widely considered the number one until winning Genesis 2, which was summer of 2011. So that's about a year and a half. Prior to that, he previous big international with the other top players was Pound 5 I believe, which happened at the end of February 2011 and he lost to PeePee. Armada is an incredible player and doesn't need embellishment.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Guys, Armada is the top player and amazing, but you're exaggerating. He wasn't widely considered the number one until winning Genesis 2, which was summer of 2011. So that's about a year and a half. Prior to that, he previous big international with the other top players was Pound 5 I believe, which happened at the end of February 2011 and he lost to PeePee. Armada is an incredible player and doesn't need embellishment.
Err, I don't know what you're saying. He hasn't lost a tournament since Pound 5, which was at the start of 2011. Every other tournament he's won since then.

Super

Smash Apprentice
Err, I don't know what you're saying. He hasn't lost a tournament since Pound 5, which was at the start of 2011. Every other tournament he's won since then.
That's not how this works...your period of dominance doesn't start until your big win, before that is just speculation. Remember, Armada was not considered the best until winning Genesis 2, which was not unreasonable at all, having not win a big international until then. You can't retroactively give him that period before winning G2 and say he was the best right after Pound 5 (PeePee was the guy who rightfully deserved that period as the top player). Comparably, if PeePee wins Apex, then continues to win throughout the year, do we retroactively say he hasn't lost since Smashers Reunion, hence he was the best since then? Obviously that sounds ridiculousness now as this is rightfully Armada's period at the top.

Landry

Smash Ace
Okay, so does winning Apex make someone the best in the world?

If Armada wins he'll obviously still be considered best. What if Mango wins? Or PP? Or HBox? Or anyone, really.

I'm curious what you guys think since I haven't really made up my mind on this issue.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I just mentioned when he last lost, not when his position as best Melee player was set in stone.

Rush

Smash Apprentice

If Armada wins he'll obviously still be considered best. What if Mango wins? Or PP? Or HBox? Or anyone, really.

I'm curious what you guys think since I haven't really made up my mind on this issue.
If someone else other than Armada wins, then we don't have a best player.

XSkyShadowX

Smash Apprentice
1. ME!
2.Mango
3.Armada
4.PP
5. Javi

and for fun and runner up to top 5 I would say West Ballz. dude is showing some serious fire power right now!.

Doser

Smash Ace
Wow I'm glad I didn't put any money down on Mango, considering he clearly doesn't give a **** and isn't practicing I don't have a huge hope of him winning this.

If he doesn't have the resolve to win KoC, why do we think he will keep trying over the whole course of this tournament, a tournament he openly hates.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I've been #Mangonation for awhile but I much rather have PP respresent America.
I hope PP becomes legit better than Mango so we have someone mature and truly great to represent America.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion

Apex is the only time we can get all the best under the same roof, and ****ed up brackets or legitimate johns notwithstanding, yeah, winning apex makes you the best IMO. They have time to prepare and no who's coming so no johns, play your heart out.

Bones0

Smash Legend
1. ME!
2.Mango
3.Armada
4.PP
5. Javi

and for fun and runner up to top 5 I would say West Ballz. dude is showing some serious fire power right now!.
Westballz lost back-to-back sets vs. S2J recently, and he also lost to Fly and PP at KoC. Not saying it's impossible, but he'd have to play like a mad man to place top 10.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Loving the mad scrubs. Mango's practicing, calm your trembling hearts.
Apex is the only time we can get all the best under the same roof, and ****ed up brackets or legitimate johns notwithstanding, yeah, winning apex makes you the best IMO. They have time to prepare and no who's coming so no johns, play your heart out.
A singular data point is too limited, especially with the nature of Melee as a game. Winning two consecutive nationals has never failed as the standard for "best player in the world".

EDIT: Engo knew.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I've been #Mangonation for awhile but I much rather have PP respresent America.
I hope PP becomes legit better than Mango so we have someone mature and truly great to represent America.
This would be sick! I'd love to see a legit rivalry for gold go on between these two without anyone else in the picture. Their sets are always amazing!

Being realistic, I think Dr.PP vs Armada would the best grand finals we could have for Apex.

Okay PP, it's on you to get better than Mango. :D

Landry

Smash Ace
Okay so the Apex WF set between Mango and Armada popped up on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSX1B3-T1Cg) so I decided to rewatch it to get some hype for next week.

Just wanna say that even though Mango loses 3-0 here it's actually not that lopsided.

Game 1 - Mango does a bad recovery under Dreamland that loses him the lead and he ends up losing.
Game 2 - Mango has a lead and Armada pulls a bomb to kill of his 3rd stock.
Game 3 - Pretty even. Last stock is a cluster ****. Armada gets a good hit to win it.

Not taking anything away from Armada but if a few things had gone the other way this set could have been VERY different.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
i just dont care like i used 2 ROFLLLL

so now i just have fun with it

going all falcon **** it

LMAOAO

and yeah that set bl0ws

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure that Javi will actually be in the top 5 just because last year he had the surprise factor. Because he has nobody to play he may not be as good this year.

Mango you should go puff. Go 07 on these guys.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
I'm not sure that Javi will actually be in the top 5 just because last year he had the surprise factor. Because he has nobody to play he may not be as good this year.
Lol nobody to play? They have a real solid smash scene in Monterrey, and his twin brother is one of the best in Mexico! He's played against the likes of Aza, EX, Twin, Rael, .jpg, Yu, Valdo, etc... I think he'll be just as well-prepared, if not better, this time around.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Javi was also apparently rusty. I think the thing with Javi is it's hard to see how smart he's playing behind all the tech skill. Still, it's been a year, people will have prepared for him this time around, and Fox is the most common character, so who knows what will happen.

I'm excited to see it though! :D

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
lmfao mango's pre-john setups are pretty up there
i still think he's going to do well, but goddamn

pp'll still take the tourney imo :bee:

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Javi was also apparently rusty. I think the thing with Javi is it's hard to see how smart he's playing behind all the tech skill. Still, it's been a year, people will have prepared for him this time around, and Fox is the most common character, so who knows what will happen.

I'm excited to see it though! :D
Javi is probably (in my opinion) the second smartest fox there is. I think Cactuar might be a bit smarter just because it doesn't seem like he wastes any movement at all. Again...thats just my opinion.

I personally would like to see Chu or Shroomed or Axe take Apex. Grand Finals would be interesting without a spacie or marth, shiek, peach or jiggs. But that will almost 100% not happen.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Mango won't get top 10 with that attitude. The rest of the world will be playing their hearts out. I know I will, and won't make it out of first round lol.
If Mango stopped caring about STYLING and just won we wouldn't see him get 3 - 0ed.
Ah well he's washed up now anyway.
Mango is just giving Armada the crown.
What a 3 inch thing to do.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Nah mango man no fun allowed either u try ur heart out practice 24/7 and beat armada fox only or ur a washed up joke has been trash player never good.

Didn't you learn anything in australia?

**** the haters, do what u want, your still australia's hero

Your gonna lose cause you play lol, not dota.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I almost want Mango to lose because of his arrogance. It would be a shame for someone with an attitude like that to win Apex.

Maybe Mango is secretly the Usain Bolt of melee. Just born with super natural powers that make him so good he only has to try to be amazing.

But hell if you win Apex with all Falcon #mangonation all day.

Takeover1806

Smash Champion

going all falcon **** it

LMAOAO

and yeah that set bl0ws
Dawg Mango, c'mon son.
I know that feeling of not caring anymore so I know your johns. Although you might not be considered the best player now, you're definitely the most talented so at least don't waste that talent flying all the way to Apex.

HugS™

Smash Lord

going all falcon **** it

LMAOAO

and yeah that set bl0ws
Alright, so then stay in Socal and play board games with your best friends if you're gonna be a chode about practicing for Apex.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
You guys really think begging the kid to try his hardest is going to motivate him?

You all should be talking mad **** about how Armada and PP are better than him.

If he still doesn't try after that who the **** cares. Stop caring so much about some random video game player.

It's you fanboys that give these people giant egos to begin with.

Top Bottom