• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top ten at Apex 2013 predictions.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
***** I don't give a **** what the current ruleset aka spacies ruleset is. FoD is banned or this MM isn't happening
What I read: Leffen and I are really close in skill level, and banning FoD is the extra push I need to tip the odds in my favor by enough that I'll accept the MM.

Chisk1n

Smash Cadet
MM $5 to get the best puff practice ?? don't be cheap son, at least $20 or wait to the bracket to use that noob fox, better stay with sheik ;)

Btw, HBox should play with the world he is argentinian <3

The Business

Smash Journeyman
MM $5 to get the best puff practice ?? don't be cheap son, at least $20 or wait to the bracket to use that noob fox, better stay with sheik ;)

Btw, HBox should play with the world he is argentinian <3
by that logic, every American should play for the world because they all have roots outside of America.

Chisk1n

Smash Cadet
sarcasm my friend, i know that's not happening and also hbox already has played with usa he cant represent another country like in football-soccer. But that would be cool cause i rate hbox very highly and for me is the best player to team with C:

Hax

Smash Champion
What I read: Leffen and I are really close in skill level, and banning FoD is the extra push I need to tip the odds in my favor by enough that I'll accept the MM.
I wasn't even aware Apex was using this terrible ruleset. at RoM5 a bunch of us were discussing how literally nobody agreed with it. no bans makes no sense

FoD is virtually a free win for any of the top tiers vs Falcon, but **** it, the MM's still on. but god damn that ruleset needs to change for future tournaments

RFrizzle

Smash Ace
It's not an advantage for Hax because Fox wins on every other stage anyway.
Also I think dmsr would only eliminate one stage right?

:phone:

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
Apex doesn't have bans?

I was under the impression that the ruleset was still under discussion (which is why it's not updated on the Apex website).

All sets should have bans, whether it's bo3 or bo5 or bo7. I get leffen's point that it becomes dumb when you only have 2 out of 6 stages to choose from with 2 bans and 2 DSR, so maybe remove DSR/DMSR for bo5/bo7? It seems more important that bans remain imo

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
I wasn't even aware Apex was using this terrible ruleset. at RoM5 a bunch of us were discussing how literally nobody agreed with it. no bans makes no sense

FoD is virtually a free win for any of the top tiers vs Falcon, but **** it, the MM's still on. but god damn that ruleset needs to change for future tournaments
100% agree

no ban = ********, whoever came up with it was not in their right mind

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
oh wow take a look a bunch of Fastfaller mains hating not having a ban

GEEE WILLICKERS

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I curious to see how anyone can suggest how to do bo5 with a ban.

One person bans 1 stage
one person bans 1 stage

left with 3 stages and if one person wins on both then the final stage has to be played on.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Bo5 cannot work with Dsr and bans, you'd have to choose one over the other. It comes down to whether you want to allow people to choose which stage is not played on or force people to play on their worst stage. The catch is they only have to play it once and that doesn't mean they autolose on the counter pick. I unno, I like no bans in a bo5 and I'm not a FF main, in the context of a marth fox match up, having bans ruins marth...let's face it; this is a spacy dominated game. Ban fox and everything is fixed.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I don't understand the sudden hate for the current ruleset either.

1. It simply isn't feasible to have both DSR and the ability to ban in a best-of-5 set under the current stagelist; there aren't enough stages for both to co-exist, this is well established and shouldn't be under debate

2. The smaller scope of our current stagelist reduces the need for bans; and the fact that no straight-up "jank" stage exists in our current stagelist eliminates the need for bans completely in a best-of-5 set

3. No bans only applies to best-of-5 sets, meaning the only players affected are the ones in the final few sets of a tourney; the best players should be subjected to a ruleset that promotes the most competitive sets

So obviously, we have to eliminate either DSR or the ability to ban in a best-of-5 set under the current stagelist. It comes down to: getting counterpicked to your second-worst stage twice in a best-of-5 set, or getting counterpicked to your worst stage once in a best-of-5 set. I think the latter is more reasonable because our current stagelist is very small and anti-jank, and the current Apex ruleset reflects this same train of thought.

On a side note, there are also other positive effects of going with no bans instead of no DSR: sets in the final phases of a tourney are going to Game 5 much more frequently, and are being played on a diverse lineup of stages much more frequently, and both of these facts boost the spectator and stream value for our community.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
If so then Alex NEEDS to make it clear which DSR he is using because if not ruleset checks will happen again.

Can you pick a stage you already won on or the LAST one you won?

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
oh wow take a look a bunch of Fastfaller mains hating not having a ban

GEEE WILLICKERS
You act like other characters don't have ****ty stages either. Hell, I'm not even arguing it for my own sake, cuz Socal never ever runs no bans in best of 5 and only like 5 people at Apex make it far enough to play best of 5s in tournament anyway. I just legitimately think it's DUMB

@other d00ds, bans work in best of 5 if DSR affects only the last stage you won on.

Hax

Smash Champion
just allow the stage game 1 is played on to be replayed in game 5 if there is a game 5. the stage game 1 was played on should be the fairest stage for a matchup, so this makes sense

for example:

Falcon bans FoD, Fox bans DL64

game 1 is struck to FD (Falcon strikes Yoshi's/FoD, Fox strikes DL64/BF) - Falcon wins
game 2 - Yoshi's - Fox wins
game 3 - Battlefield - Falcon wins
game 4 - Stadium - Fox wins
game 5 - FD again

much fairer system

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
just allow the stage game 1 is played on to be replayed in game 5 if there is a game 5. the stage game 1 was played on should be the fairest stage for a matchup, so this makes sense
What you're saying is almost the same thing as DSRM. This is part of the reason why the MBR ruleset should be changed to have DSRM be the default option. There's a reason almost all major tourneys in 2012 (Apex, NWM, Zenith, Impulse, SRMG, Rule 6, Big House, Kings of Cali) decided to use DSRM instead of DSR. Well, except for ROM 5...

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I actually like Haxs idea, that in a completely competitive set both players have two advantageous stages, two disadvantageous, and one neutral they must play on in Bo5

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Except every single OXY tournament lol

If ya'll do bans on your own thats up to you but since its Falco dittos every time its not like it matters anyway
good joke

Whether it's me, sung, baka, jesson, oscar, johnny, fly, wes or anyone else, I've always seen best of 5s have bans at oxy tournaments. If no bans is actually the rule, the fact no one listens to it should tell you how the best active players in your region feel about it lol

Hax

Smash Champion
I actually like Haxs idea, that in a completely competitive set both players have two advantageous stages, two disadvantageous, and one neutral they must play on in Bo5

I mean, it still favors spacies (FD - fair, Yoshi's - good for Fox, BF - good for Falcon, PS - good for Fox, FD - fair) (2 fair, 2 good for Fox, 1 good for Falcon) but it's as fair as you can make it. doesn't make any sense to throw another stage that heavily favors Fox in there.

my ruleset or bust, leffen. I met your terms, now you meet mine.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
So obviously, we have to eliminate either DSR or the ability to ban in a best-of-5 set under the current stagelist. It comes down to: getting counterpicked to your second-worst stage twice in a best-of-5 set, or getting counterpicked to your worst stage once in a best-of-5 set. I think the latter is more reasonable because our current stagelist is very small and anti-jank, and the current Apex ruleset reflects this same train of thought.
That seems like a reason FOR bans to me.

Our current stagelist is small and anti-jank, which means that any janky/horribly imbalanced situations are marginal! That's PRECISELY WHY bans are good. They allow the players to collectively remove the few matchup-stage configurations that are imbalanced, so that they can play a set OUTSIDE of those configurations.

The idea is that the post-bans stageset is fair enough that your second-worst stage isn't significantly worse than your other stage options, whereas without bans, your worst stage may be very significantly worse than the others. What's a situation where this isn't the case?

Shimesaba

Smash Apprentice
We are using dsrm
I think I remember there being some uncertainty recently as to which version is which, so just to double-check this, by DSRM you mean the version that states that players may not counterpick to the stage which they won on most recently, and not the version of DSR that states that players may not counterpick to any stage they have won on - is that correct?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
KK: Sure, as long as I get friendlies with your sheik afterwards.
Why don't you and I just hog a recording setup and play tons of matches lol

I doubt anyone will mind

If they try to interrupt we can play the "You must be this skilled to enter" card and give them the evil eye!

...Or politely decline since we're like trying to evolve the metagame and stuff.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
We could also bring a stage back and use dsrm so we can have bans. Maybe bring back a stage that is fine and maybe has some sort of acid...

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Bring back Mute City! :awesome:

HBox and KK should just take a recording setup for, like, a day, and run through all possible matchups of all their secondaries. I want to see this supposed HBox Marth. :D

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
somebody take a full recording setup for money matches, with a camera + recording mic to get crowd reactions :3c

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
Why don't you and I just hog a recording setup and play tons of matches lol

I doubt anyone will mind

If they try to interrupt we can play the "You must be this skilled to enter" card and give them the evil eye!

...Or politely decline since we're like trying to evolve the metagame and stuff.
Or the "beat us" card

This is gonna be good ^_^

I wanna do ness v sheik as well

Top Bottom