• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Fixed it for you. Respond seriously or dont bother responding at all.
Please calm down man. You came in sounding a little arrogant, so he poked a little fun at you.
Yeah... I don't really find it to be surprising that people that are good at smash in general are playing the game and placing well, beating people that play the game, but aren't as good at smash. Eventually and essentially, there's a fair amount of stuff that transfers over. That's one of the biggest reasons I am a gigantic fan of Ally Ike ( and @TheReflexWonder <3 ) and while he was in the MW, tried to push him and Zinoto to take the game more seriously. To their credit, they seem to, at least a bit more.

But anyway, uh... I think the ability for people from more or less any Smash background to pick up the game, put some time in it and do well is, I don't know, maybe a testament to the design? It's not perfect obviously, but if you're talking about a game that is generally considered to be 3 tiers (A, B, C) deep and there is a lot of ambiguity as to who clearly fits in what, especially towards the middle... I think this shows itself to be kinda good. I think people get sucked into the whole "lol I don't play this game, just play it until Sm4sh hehe", when then important thing is that they play the game. And no matter how you slice it, this version of the game is pretty new. More people play it than ever before. More people play varying characters for the most part. Character vs Character interactions are going to be extremely important... and this won't really be seen or exacerbated until everyone is more experienced.

At APEX, there was a bit of this phenomenon: Sethlon Roy ran into JCeas' ROB (atm, considered to be like 4-6 or something, not very easy.) somewhere in the bracket. He won, but has crap ton of Oracle experience. He played Fly DDD, which we all more or less watched and learned at the same time, lol. I'd also call this around (4-6, maybe 45-55, also not very easy, because he really can't kill DDD until super late and can get gimped pretty easy). Sethlon lost, but I think given more experience we'd probably see situations come up where Roy is gimped more and forced to take more risks and etc.

I think I kinda rambled on, but uh... people good at smash picking up and being successful in a smash game is not bad. Overall, character general goodness is close enough that allows for this to happen more intuitively for now. But, the metagame is pretty young, still.
I definitely agree with this. The PMBR often says that design is their ultimate goal, and I feel their recent success with a broad range of players is a sign they are approaching that goal.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I agree. :) P:M seems to be more so popular now than ever before. There were a lot of people who said they'd only play once the "full version" is released, so I guess some of them are playing now too. :p

That being said, with them having recent design success, they should be particularly careful about doing any major design changes to anyone. Especially considering we're finally on the so called "full version".

Mandew

Smash Rookie
I think it really speaks that Project M has a lot of ambiguity for its top-level tier list. Matchups in general sound like they'll be a lot more important, and I'm actually interested in hearing how the metagame sees who is an effective counter for what.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
The game is the easiest of the smash games in general though. Its a great appeal, but it's also why you see the best melee and brawl players taking the top spots despite barely playing.
It only seems easy because specific people have years of smash experience to draw from before coming to the game, and its not quite as evolved yet in terms of player base. So these few people SHOULD be winning, its a testament to the game's design that lets you carry all your smash fundamentals over.

But its definitely too early to say that you can continue winning while barely playing the game. A few more people put in the extra effort and we could see an upset in the balance eventually. Also playing the game at tournaments every month is not what I would call "Barely playing the game" honestly. Because tournament experience tends to count the most.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Can someone direct me to the most recent and most "agreeable" tier list?
I couldnt figure out how to put these next to each other, sorry! But here are three tier lists that should give you a well rounded perspective of how characters in PM are spread out even though it is such a balanced game. Please give the tournament tier list some respect, I spent a lot of time putting together about 25 tournaments and weighting them on # of participants, a little cost/prize, and then the date of the tournament. This should create a changeable tournament tier list as time goes on and meta develops as more recent tournaments and larger ones will be more effective. I also put on the community tier list posted here by Canon and a quality players accepted opinion tier list.

Comparing all these together should help find out what characters are actually 'sleeping' and what who is just nerfed and sucks.

Tournament Tier List
S Tier
1. Falco
2. Fox
3. Marth
4. Metaknight
A Tier
5. Mario
6. Capt. Falcon
7. Sheik
8. Mewtwo
9. Link
10. Wario
11. ROB
B Tier
12. Wolf
13. Lucas
14. Donkey Kong
15. DDD
16. Zelda
17. Pit
18. Roy
19. Diddy Kong
20. ZSS
21. Ike
C Tier
22. Charizard
23. Toon Link
24. Snake
25. Ivysaur
26. Sonic
27. Ganondorf
28. Peach
29. Bowser
30. Lucario
31. Pikachu
32. Kirby
F/Sleeping Tier
33. Luigi
34. Squirtle
35. Samus
36. Jigglypuff
37. G+W
38. Yoshi
39. Ice Climbers
40. Ness
41. Olimar

Canons Community made tier list

S Tier
1. Fox
2. Falco
A Tier
3. Meta Knight
4. Shiek
5. Wolf
6. Mario
A- Tier
7. Lucas
8. Marth
B+ Tier
9. Diddy Kong
10. Peach
11. Snake
12. Wario
13. Pit
14. Ivysaur
15. Yoshi
B Tier
16. Captain Falcon
17. Mewtwo
18. Zero Suit Samus
19. Link
20. Ike
21. Lucario
22. Kirby
C Tier
23. Bowser
24. Ice Climbers
25. Roy
26. ROB
27. Samus
28. Donkey Kong
29. Sonic
30. Zelda
31. Jigglypuff
32. Charizard
33. Luigi
D Tier
34. Toon Link
35. Pikachu
36. Ness
37. King Dedede
F Tier
38. Mr. Game & Watch
39. Ganondorf
40. Squirtle
41. Olimar

Hylians Tier List

S Tier
1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Shiek
4. Wolf
5. Meta Knight
6. Diddy Kong
A Tier
7. Wario
8. Snake
9. Mario
10. Peach
11. Marth
12. Pit
13. Donkey Kong
14. Ivysaur
15. Captain Falcon
16. Lucas
B Tier
17. Zero Suit Samus
18. Link
19. Ike
20. Yoshi
21. Kirby
22. Samus
23. Ice Climbers
24. Jigglypuff
25. Bowser
26. ROB
27. Roy
28. Charizard
29. Mewtwo
30. Lucario
31. King DDD
32. Toon Link
C Tier
33. Ness
34. Sonic
35. Pikachu
36. Zelda
37. Luigi
38. Mr. Game and Watch
39. Squirtle
40. Ganondorf
41. Olimar

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
PM hardly has any brawl players who take it seriously. The game is the easiest of the smash games in general though. Its a great appeal, but it's also why you see the best melee and brawl players taking the top spots despite barely playing.
You usually don't see Brawl exclusive players taking those spots. Most of the Brawl players that could place well in PM, are also quite good at Melee already. When people think of DEHF, Atomsk, ESAM, Vex, Salem, etc people don't usually know how much Melee experience they had/have.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Fixed it for you. Respond seriously or dont bother responding at all.
I disagree, I played brawl at a high level for 4ish years and I think it's much easier than PM. I've traveled to every region for brawl and played pretty much every top player. I entered a brawl tournament about 5 months ago because someone asked me to and said they would enter PM if I did and I ended up getting 2nd, despite having not played the game for over a year. People may not know what they are talking about when referring to brawl but that doesn't magically make it harder than other smash games. There are more match-ups you need to learn, more technically demanding play etc in PM than brawl not sure how you could peg it as easier.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
How much Melee experience does Ally have?
That I dunno. Most of the Melee I personally played with Ally was with janky controllers we all swapped around, that somebody had at the place we were staying at. The first one would consistently hold forward direction you faced slightly, so you could do auto knees with Falcon by jumping and pressing a, and it messed up recoveries. The second one permanently held down shield. We came up with the "Yoshi challenge" with that controller, so much fun.

ALLY come back and read this, we had so much fun with those controllers at WHOBO!

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Top 20 characters seem to be fairly consistently agreed upon (with variations in specific order of the top 10)
Ya it is all fairly consistent with a few outliers, like ROB Mewtwo Cf, and link doing much better in tournaments while people think they arent that good and than characters like yoshi diddy peach and ivy that havent shown how good they are in tournaments in comparison to what people think.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Lordling - Ya that did count but that is one of the few placements Ivysaur has done since 3.0, and reflex also played wario in TO9. If he keeps showing ivys ability it will definitely bring ivy up some more, but right now ivys only been in some.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
A couple things I've been thinking about:

Ganon: Okay, what's the deal with Ganon? He's ranked very low on everyone's tier lists (including mine), but he consistently places much better than other low tiers. He's even placed very well at Xanadu. I played Ganon as a secondary in Melee, and found that he was good against people who didn't know how to punish him, and he could really wreck once he got going. That being said, people who knew the matchup would absolutely destroy me. He feels sort of the same in P:M. His tournament results aren't remotely close to our tier rankings of him. He's still far from being high tier, but I think that we may have grossly underestimated him

Ivysaur: He was really good in 2.6, but he was nerfed in 3.0. More importantly, I think that people have figured out how to handle him. He did well in PM for the same reason aMSa did well as Yoshi at Apex. The MU just wasn't known well enough. I think that Ivy's lack of good results recently is more important and telling than his previous good results.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
A couple things I've been thinking about:

Ganon: Okay, what's the deal with Ganon? He's ranked very low on everyone's tier lists (including mine), but he consistently places much better than other low tiers. He's even placed very well at Xanadu. I played Ganon as a secondary in Melee, and found that he was good against people who didn't know how to punish him, and he could really wreck once he got going. That being said, people who knew the matchup would absolutely destroy me. He feels sort of the same in P:M. His tournament results aren't remotely close to our tier rankings of him. He's still far from being high tier, but I think that we may have grossly underestimated him
Ivysaur: He was really good in 2.6, but he was nerfed in 3.0. More importantly, I think that people have figured out how to handle him. He did well in PM for the same reason aMSa did well as Yoshi at Apex. The MU just wasn't known well enough. I think that Ivy's lack of good results recently is more important and telling than his previous good results.
Ganon has placed fine in tournaments some of the time which is why he is ranked almost halfway up there - 27th, but peoples tier lists show rate him lower because they know his MU and know that he can get destroyed fairly easily.

I think Ivy is being developed right now so people like reflex will find good strategies to play, do well and show what Ivy can do. Then someone will counteract, then more Ivy meta will be developed and countered, etc Ivy has potential with combo abilities+range, good finishers and gimps.

Cassio

Smash Master
Please calm down man. You came in sounding a little arrogant, so he poked a little fun at you.
Well I was responding to something else, I didnt mean to cause this stir-up.
Yeah... I don't really find it to

be surprising that people that are good at smash in general are playing the game and placing well, beating people that play the game, but aren't as good at smash. Eventually and essentially, there's a fair amount of stuff that transfers over. That's one of the biggest reasons I am a gigantic fan of Ally Ike ( and @TheReflexWonder <3 ) and while he was in the MW, tried to push him and Zinoto to take the game more seriously. To their credit, they seem to, at least a bit more.

But anyway, uh... I think the ability for people from more or less any Smash background to pick up the game, put some time in it and do well is, I don't know, maybe a testament to the design? It's not perfect obviously, but if you're talking about a game that is generally considered to be 3 tiers (A, B, C) deep and there is a lot of ambiguity as to who clearly fits in what, especially towards the middle... I think this shows itself to be kinda good. I think people get sucked into the whole "lol I don't play this game, just play it until Sm4sh hehe", when then important thing is that they play the game. And no matter how you slice it, this version of the game is pretty new. More people play it than ever before. More people play varying characters for the most part. Character vs Character interactions are going to be extremely important... and this won't really be seen or exacerbated until everyone is more experienced.

At APEX, there was a bit of this phenomenon: Sethlon Roy ran into JCeas' ROB (atm, considered to be like 4-6 or something, not very easy.) somewhere in the bracket. He won, but has crap ton of Oracle experience. He played Fly DDD, which we all more or less watched and learned at the same time, lol. I'd also call this around 4-6 (maybe 45-55, also not very easy, because he really can't kill DDD until super late and can get gimped pretty easy). Sethlon lost, but I think given more experience we'd probably see situations come up where Roy is gimped more and forced to take more risks and etc.

I think I kinda rambled on, but uh... people good at smash picking up and being successful in a smash game is not bad. Overall, character general goodness is close enough that allows for this to happen more intuitively for now. But, the metagame is pretty young, still.
Well said, I agree.
It only seems easy because specific people have years of smash experience to draw from before coming to the game, and its not quite as evolved yet in terms of player base. So these few people SHOULD be winning, its a testament to the game's design that lets you carry all your smash fundamentals over.

But its definitely too early to say that you can continue winning while barely playing the game. A few more people put in the extra effort and we could see an upset in the balance eventually. Also playing the game at tournaments every month is not what I would call "Barely playing the game" honestly. Because tournament experience tends to count the most.
I agree to an extent, but at the same time the meta-game is further into development then a new game would be since its meant to be built very similar to an existing game.
You usually don't see Brawl exclusive players taking those spots. Most of the Brawl players that could place well in PM, are also quite good at Melee already. When people think of DEHF, Atomsk, ESAM, Vex, Salem, etc people don't usually know how much Melee experience they had/have.
Melee forsure helps more and you need some experience with the mechanics if you dont have it already since the game's designed that way. But most of those players listed are Brawl players with experience in melee and skill from Brawl. I do agree that melee experience or adjustment is needed, but I dont think its that hard a transfer. As others have said I think its good its not too difficult to move between though.
I disagree, I played brawl at a high level for 4ish years and I think it's much easier than PM. I've traveled to every region for brawl and played pretty much every top player. I entered a brawl tournament about 5 months ago because someone asked me to and said they would enter PM if I did and I ended up getting 2nd, despite having not played the game for over a year. People may not know what they are talking about when referring to brawl but that doesn't magically make it harder than other smash games. There are more match-ups you need to learn, more technically demanding play etc in PM than brawl not sure how you could peg it as easier.
These are only my opinions and experiences, and also if you played before the japanese won Apex, I could see your point and would agree. It's mainly based on what Ive heard from the good brawl players, and on a personal level I went from doing very poorly to winning a tournament in an area that takes the game pretty seriously after barely playing the game. Compared to Brawl, approaching and hit strings are significantly easier. If you could approach and string in brawl, its not as difficult to do in PM and unlike melee the technical skill isnt really that big a barrier. There are more MUs to learn, but at the same time theyre easier to learn because of how close MUs are, so theory crafting I find is a bit simpler. I personally thought consistent buffering (i.e. japanese/top level player degree) was harder but I wont get into that. However, I dont mean to confuse this with saying that I think the game is simple or easy.

Last edited:

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
:fox:Fox 5.81481481481482
:falco:Falco 5.68518518518518
:metaknight:Meta Knight 5.31481481481482
:sheik:Shiek 5.25925925925926
:wolf:Wolf 5.05555555555556
:mario2:Mario 5.05555555555556
:lucas:Lucas 4.85185185185185
:marth:Marth 4.62962962962963
:diddy:Diddy Kong 4.48148148148148
:peach:Peach 4.46296296296296
:snake:Snake 4.38888888888889
:wario:Wario 4.37037037037037
:pit:Pit 4.35185185185185
:ivysaur:Ivysaur 4.27777777777778
:yoshi2:Yoshi 4.27777777777778
:falcon:Captain Falcon 3.94444444444444
:mewtwopm:Mewtwo 3.90740740740741
:zerosuitsamus:Zero Suit Samus 3.83333333333333
:link2:Link 3.81481481481482
:ike:Ike 3.77777777777778
:lucario:Lucario 3.75925925925926
:kirby2:Kirby 3.75925925925926
:bowser2:Bowser 3.46296296296296
:popo:Ice Climbers 3.42592592592593
:roypm:Roy 3.42592592592593
:rob:ROB 3.40740740740741
:samus2:Samus 3.37037037037037
:dk2:Donkey Kong 3.35185185185185
:sonic:Sonic 3.33333333333333
:zeldamelee: *Zelda 3.2962962962963
:jigglypuff:Jigglypuff 3.2962962962963
:charizard:Charizard 3.22222222222222
:luigi2:Luigi 3.11111111111111
:toonlink:Toon Link 2.94444444444444
:pikachu2:Pikachu 2.87037037037037
:ness2:Ness 2.81481481481482
:dedede:King Dedede 2.77777777777778
:gw:Mr. Game & Watch 2.46296296296296
:ganondorf:Ganondorf 2.42592592592593
:squirtle:Squirtle 2.35185185185185
:olimar:Olimar 2.27777777777778
*there's no brawl zelda icon. there's a melee zelda icon and then a slightly smaller melee zelda icon it's dumb

here's all the numbers
I'm mad that GnW is so LOW. like dakpo is currently in the top 10 in 2013 tourney stats c'mon
Howd you make this?

TreK

Is "that guy"
Calling a game easy is an insult to the people who take pride in the effort they put into it, and that's the reason you thought Cassio sounded arrogant, if you need an example you can relate to.
So don't be hypocritical. You can say his opinion was wrong (eh, I'm a big brawl fanboy myself, but I'm not ranking games from easiest to hardest, as I don't see that being a relevant thing), but beyond that, the message was "stop trolling, this is a tier list thread"

Brb, I'll just head back to my lurking spot and theorycraft some more.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Calling a game easy is an insult to the people who take pride in the effort they put into it, and that's the reason you thought Cassio sounded arrogant, if you need an example you can relate to.
So don't be hypocritical. You can say his opinion was wrong (eh, I'm a big brawl fanboy myself, but I'm not ranking games from easiest to hardest, as I don't see that being a relevant thing), but beyond that, the message was "stop trolling, this is a tier list thread"

Brb, I'll just head back to my lurking spot and theorycraft some more.
I am struggling to understand what you are saying. Please elaborate so I can make an adequate response.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
:fox:Fox 5.81481481481482
:falco:Falco 5.68518518518518
:metaknight:Meta Knight 5.31481481481482
:sheik:Shiek 5.25925925925926
:wolf:Wolf 5.05555555555556
:mario2:Mario 5.05555555555556
:lucas:Lucas 4.85185185185185
:marth:Marth 4.62962962962963
:diddy:Diddy Kong 4.48148148148148
:peach:Peach 4.46296296296296
:snake:Snake 4.38888888888889
:wario:Wario 4.37037037037037
:pit:Pit 4.35185185185185
:ivysaur:Ivysaur 4.27777777777778
:yoshi2:Yoshi 4.27777777777778
:falcon:Captain Falcon 3.94444444444444
:mewtwopm:Mewtwo 3.90740740740741
:zerosuitsamus:Zero Suit Samus 3.83333333333333
:link2:Link 3.81481481481482
:ike:Ike 3.77777777777778
:lucario:Lucario 3.75925925925926
:kirby2:Kirby 3.75925925925926
:bowser2:Bowser 3.46296296296296
:popo:Ice Climbers 3.42592592592593
:roypm:Roy 3.42592592592593
:rob:ROB 3.40740740740741
:samus2:Samus 3.37037037037037
:dk2:Donkey Kong 3.35185185185185
:sonic:Sonic 3.33333333333333
:zeldamelee: *Zelda 3.2962962962963
:jigglypuff:Jigglypuff 3.2962962962963
:charizard:Charizard 3.22222222222222
:luigi2:Luigi 3.11111111111111
:toonlink:Toon Link 2.94444444444444
:pikachu2:Pikachu 2.87037037037037
:ness2:Ness 2.81481481481482
:dedede:King Dedede 2.77777777777778
:gw:Mr. Game & Watch 2.46296296296296
:ganondorf:Ganondorf 2.42592592592593
:squirtle:Squirtle 2.35185185185185
:olimar:Olimar 2.27777777777778
*there's no brawl zelda icon. there's a melee zelda icon and then a slightly smaller melee zelda icon it's dumb

here's all the numbers
I'm mad that GnW is so LOW. like dakpo is currently in the top 10 in 2013 tourney stats c'mon
Fox, Mario, and Marth aren't high enough.

Time2Play

Smash Cadet
I don't really understand it aswell. Especially who he is referring to and when.

but beyond that, the message was "stop trolling, this is a tier list thread"
The message of his first post was: Nearly no Brawler takes pm serious; they still win tourneys in pm -> thus pm is ez!
I just made a pretty stupid comment myself to show him what he basically said to us.

Edit: To atleast use this post for something useful:

I have yet to see what Ics are really capable off in PM without their cgs and infinites. Iam really curious how they will perform in the future. The same holds true for Yoshi though. I think he has a lot of potential, but it's only theorycrafting so far.

Also I'm hoping that Hbox will keep playing Olimar. Seems like he enjoys playing characters which aren't known to be that enjoyable, but still effective in the right hands.

Last edited:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
QAC is pretty hard from what I hear. I honestly doubt someone will put the effort in to master Pikachu because there are so many characters that are more rewarding in the short run.

Time2Play

Smash Cadet
When somebody masters the QAC to an extreme level, I feel like people's perceptions of Pikachu's viability will skyrocket.
Anther and Axe are both really good player, but they still kinda hit a wall, if they have to play against the Top Tier Player with their Top Tier Characters.
Pikachu can do some fancy stuff and you have to mix up your approaches alot, but the character itself is kinda limited. Pika dies fast and has a hard time to get the kill against some characters. Most of the time you have to outplay you opponent to win and that simply doesn't work against really good people.

Cassio

Smash Master
His offstage and grab game are the worst of any smash games and were a big reason he was better in other iterations of smash.

I dont think QAC is that hard, but I dont see it adding much to his game unless his offstage game was better or he had a move he could reliably kill with out of it. Nair and bair are only really strong enough near the edge of the stage, and other stuff isnt reliable. Knocking opponents offstage would be enough but his offstage game is kinda weak.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
We need Anther to chime in and explain the magic of Pikachu to us... Seriously, I have no idea what this character does.

Cassio

Smash Master
I think its great for pressure, but pika is already good at keeping pressure or landing hits/grabs. Pikachu is capable of being played smartly, he just has a really minimal reward for playing smart compared to the rest of the cast. IMO its from the low yeild he gets from grabs and getting the opponent offstage.

Bryonato

Green Hat
When somebody masters the QAC to an extreme level, I feel like people's perceptions of Pikachu's viability will skyrocket.
Problem is that's what people were essentially saying for a verrrry long time. It's melee pika with 64 bair and qac. That's it. I don't see him going anywhere

D

Deleted member

Pikachu is the mosquito of PM. He's a zippy little thing who has to try really, really hard to do stuff. He uses his speed to get in for a few hits which don't end up yielding much of a reward, and then he gets swatted away.

Top Bottom