• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Envioux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Envioux
eh, i don't really agree with tier lists with how balanced PM currently is. a matchup chart would be a lot more accurate in my opinion.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
It is a really balanced game so a tier list saying that characters on the lower end are bad is not accurate. Tier lists are usually, (and especially this one as I only took info from main tournament results and no opinion,) based on tournament results. So this 'tier' list is just showing the characters that people use and do well with more often near the top and characters that people are sleeping on or arent developed yet or something near the bottom. Now that being said, games are never perfectly balanced so there is also some seperation in ability level, sonic got nerfed and is obviously not as good as s or a 'tier' characters any more and olimar was not put in equally, at least no one has really figured him out yet.,, Anyway this list shows what current standings are in character ability + development/usage

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Alright, here's my attempt at putting together a tier list using a combination of tournament play I've seen since the release of 3.0, other tier lists, and my own speculation. I tried not to use too many tiers since the gap in viability between characters is nowhere near that of Melee or Brawl. Feel free to critique ( or praise ;) ) anything you want--

S: Fox, Falco, Sheik, Wolf

A+: MK, Lucas, Mario, Wario, Marth, Roy

A: Peach, Ike, Ivy, Diddy, Pit, Snake, ZSS, Link

B+: CF, Lucario, Samus, Sonic, ROB, Zelda, Mewtwo

B: Yoshi, Kirby, DK, Bowser, Pikachu, Charizard, Toon Link, D3

C: ICs, Puff, Luigi, GnW, Squirtle, Ness, Ganon, Olimar
Lucario is at least above lucas ;)

Envioux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Envioux
You should make a match-up list or chart though, thatd be fun to look at and probably be helpful
I could, but I'm not nearly experienced enough to make an accurate one at all. I'll leave it to the professionals.

iwinatu

Smash Rookie
Alright, here's my attempt at putting together a tier list using a combination of tournament play I've seen since the release of 3.0, other tier lists, and my own speculation. I tried not to use too many tiers since the gap in viability between characters is nowhere near that of Melee or Brawl. Feel free to critique ( or praise ;) ) anything you want--

S: Fox, Falco, Sheik, Wolf

A+: MK, Lucas, Mario, Wario, Marth, Roy

A: Peach, Ike, Ivy, Diddy, Pit, Snake, ZSS, Link

B+: CF, Lucario, Samus, Sonic, ROB, Zelda, Mewtwo

B: Yoshi, Kirby, DK, Bowser, Pikachu, Charizard, Toon Link, D3

C: ICs, Puff, Luigi, GnW, Squirtle, Ness, Ganon, Olimar
I think ness is being slept on ;)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Lucas is jankier, therefore he's probably better

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I don't think anyone in this game rivals the jank of Lucario, considering he doesn't really even play smash bros outside of the neutral game. The problem with Lucario is that his best approaches to get in are dash attack, downB, and cross up downB on someones shield. The funny thing being that you defend against all of those options at the same exact range. That leaves basically trying to poke with fair, and mixing up downB in/out as safe pressure. I'm sure someone can go ham with like fair->ASC->dair->ASC-> command grab on a shield, but that is a hell of a lot of buttons for a short hop. It's also likely not safe despite the cancels against things like Bowser/Snake. So basically, now that we have come to realize Lucario cannot approach unless someone is committing to options in some way in neutral, you probably have to use an aura charge to downB super cancel approach. Good thing you have one at the start of every stock. Don't waste it.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Completely off topic, but Jessica Nigri used to be my rowing coach. She us actually exactly the same person as how she puts herself out to be, which is funny imo. Yall jelly i spent a whole year getting coached by that for 10 hours a week

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't think anyone in this game rivals the jank of Lucario, considering he doesn't really even play smash bros outside of the neutral game. The problem with Lucario is that his best approaches to get in are dash attack, downB, and cross up downB on someones shield. The funny thing being that you defend against all of those options at the same exact range. That leaves basically trying to poke with fair, and mixing up downB in/out as safe pressure. I'm sure someone can go ham with like fair->ASC->dair->ASC-> command grab on a shield, but that is a hell of a lot of buttons for a short hop. It's also likely not safe despite the cancels against things like Bowser/Snake. So basically, now that we have come to realize Lucario cannot approach unless someone is committing to options in some way in neutral, you probably have to use an aura charge to downB super cancel approach. Good thing you have one at the start of every stock. Don't waste it.
This man understands Lucario pretty well.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
>Level 100 Magikarp
>Isn't Roy

I have bad news

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Sure

Top tier:
Fox

High tier:
Everyone else

Dedede tier:
Ganondorf

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Sure

Top tier:
Fox

High tier:
Everyone else

Dedede tier:
Ganondorf
But actually....

Spacies are top tier, Ganon and Neas are bottom tier. This is pretty much all that we have come up with. I might go through tonight and average out the tier lists I have seen to create an "ish" while I'm waiting for Nadal-Wawrinka to start.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Frankly, Hylian knows what's what and his tier list is pretty reasonable.
For those that went back a ton of pages to find it like I did, or who wish someone would:

Ok, time for my 3.0 first impressions tier list. I will say this was the hardest one by far to make and while making it I really realized how balanced the cast is. I think viability might only start to drop off around the last 2-3 characters.

That being said:

S Tier

1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Shiek
4. Wolf
5. Meta Knight
6. Diddy Kong

A Tier

7. Wario
8. Snake
9. Mario
10. Peach
11. Marth
12. Pit
13. Donkey Kong
14. Ivysaur
15. Captain Falcon
16. Lucas

B Tier

17. Zero Suit Samus
18. Link
19. Ike
20. Yoshi
21. Kirby
22. Samus
23. Jigglypuff
24. Bowser
25. ROB
26. Roy
27. Charizard
28. Mewtwo
29. Lucario
30. King DDD
31. Toon Link
32. Ness

C Tier

33. Sonic
34. Ice Climbers
35. Pikachu
36. Zelda
37. Luigi
38. Mr. Game and Watch
39. Squirtle
40. Ganondorf
41. Olimar

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
it should be noted, his ICs placement came from the 3.0 grab release points being real wacky. idk how he'd rank it now that they're a bit more proper

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
it should be noted, his ICs placement came from the 3.0 grab release points being real wacky. idk how he'd rank it now that they're a bit more proper
I think I would put them around the top of B tier now.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That's a pretty large boost. :p
It helped them soooo much lmao. Also when you consider how close characters are in terms of viability it seems less large.

Cassio

Smash Master
Thats sounds about right, all of these salty pm nerds like strong bad keep nerfing fox into the ground out of spite but melee players tend to be better players than brawl nerds and its why you see so many fox players making it to finals most of the time. Armada is a melee player too but he decided he just wasnt going to tolerate the fox nerfs and played an easymode brawl character instead, and look where that got him with almost no hours of practice. I guarantee no brawl player like strong bad or eli or reflex would be capable of doing that despite the brawl pm newcomers being easymode scrub cannons. If pm fox was in melee he wouldnt be any better than mid tier, probably where ganondorf sits on the tier list
PM hardly has any brawl players who take it seriously. The game is the easiest of the smash games in general though. Its a great appeal, but it's also why you see the best melee and brawl players taking the top spots despite barely playing.

Last edited:

Cassio

Smash Master
I dont know left from right about Brawl and likely smash but Im gonna make some quick incorrect judgements to try and be funny while passively avoiding something irrelevant I dont agree with.
Fixed it for you. Respond seriously or dont bother responding at all.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
So it turns out that experience in a game actually does transfer to another game that is extremely similar, but not exactly that game.
I would have never guessed.

Diddy is pretty good, but I have played against crazy anti-banana playstyles and people who have used them better than I could use them. It allows for so much cool stuff to happen.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Yeah... I don't really find it to be surprising that people that are good at smash in general are playing the game and placing well, beating people that play the game, but aren't as good at smash. Eventually and essentially, there's a fair amount of stuff that transfers over. That's one of the biggest reasons I am a gigantic fan of Ally Ike ( and @TheReflexWonder <3 ) and while he was in the MW, tried to push him and Zinoto to take the game more seriously. To their credit, they seem to, at least a bit more.

But anyway, uh... I think the ability for people from more or less any Smash background to pick up the game, put some time in it and do well is, I don't know, maybe a testament to the design? It's not perfect obviously, but if you're talking about a game that is generally considered to be 3 tiers (A, B, C) deep and there is a lot of ambiguity as to who clearly fits in what, especially towards the middle... I think this shows itself to be kinda good. I think people get sucked into the whole "lol I don't play this game, just play it until Sm4sh hehe", when then important thing is that they play the game. And no matter how you slice it, this version of the game is pretty new. More people play it than ever before. More people play varying characters for the most part. Character vs Character interactions are going to be extremely important... and this won't really be seen or exacerbated until everyone is more experienced.

At APEX, there was a bit of this phenomenon: Sethlon Roy ran into JCeas' ROB (atm, considered to be like 4-6 or something, not very easy.) somewhere in the bracket. He won, but has crap ton of Oracle experience. He played Fly DDD, which we all more or less watched and learned at the same time, lol. I'd also call this around 4-6 (maybe 45-55, also not very easy, because he really can't kill DDD until super late and can get gimped pretty easy). Sethlon lost, but I think given more experience we'd probably see situations come up where Roy is gimped more and forced to take more risks and etc.

I think I kinda rambled on, but uh... people good at smash picking up and being successful in a smash game is not bad. Overall, character general goodness is close enough that allows for this to happen more intuitively for now. But, the metagame is pretty young, still.

Last edited:
Top Bottom