• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

jtm94

Smash Lord
I'm getting disappointed by this thread. There are real, valuable posts about its actual topic, spaced between walls of offtopic "callouts" and trolling. It's one thing to go on a tangent for a post or two but I would really like to see more moderator action or poster discretion to keep the posts here on topic. Project M is not going to be a richer, stronger game three years from now because everyone learned about trashbag moneymatching.

I had something to contribute but it was pertinent to a post 2 pages of crap ago, so there's little point now.
I'm curious as to what you have to say.

I kind of like the spike in talk even though a lot doesn't pertain to the direction of the thread title.

I also agree Mewtwo isn't top 5, he's still Mewtwo and takes a lot of effort to play correctly with his weird movement and light gravity.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I think it is a combination of M2K being amazing and having an absolute ton of Fox experience.

Vashimus

Smash Master
fox, pit, mk, diddy and mewtwo for top 5
maybe lucas instead of mk/m2
I hope you're not just suggesting Pit and Mewtwo being better characters than Falco, Wolf, Wario, Sheik and Peach because Apex instead of considering the fact the other person simply got outplayed.

Last edited:

Gallo69

Smash Apprentice
Woah woah woah woah woah (in The Rock's voice)
First of all jolteon is a good player. We played a random friendly set and second match he adapted. Can't take too much out of a friendly set. And also ******* don't realize that I'm ****ing amazing at PM and can make anyone look bad who underestimates me.
Rolex and prof are both mad good so a MM between them would be hype af.
Also, I've been putting up MMs and hype sets from Apex on my youtube channel - gallogames. And azprojectmelee has tons of tourney sets and MMs going up on his channel.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
You can't just use a formula to win as Snake, you have to outsmart them.
You can ALWAYS use formulas, they just need to be complex enough #mathrules :D
But, well, I see what you mean you have to do different stuff instead of always the same (*cough* nairshines *cough*)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Nobody's talking yet about the cheesy parts of Snake?

Good day is good!

Edit: I don't think Snake has "bad" MU's with Spacies. His hardest MU's are probably found in characters like Sheik and Marth. He might barely lose to Fox or Falco, but they have a much harder time proving an advantage. He doesn't crumble to up close pressure, so you have to play pretty tedious and careful with his mixup of grenades, shielding, Upb OOS or directly as you come in, crawling, etc. People like Sheik and Marth tend to control the flow of the entire match v him, and have enough range or safety to not worry about his jank.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No, clearly God is the best

Eli = God

Eli = Best

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I'm getting disappointed by this thread. There are real, valuable posts about its actual topic, spaced between walls of offtopic "callouts" and trolling. It's one thing to go on a tangent for a post or two but I would really like to see more moderator action or poster discretion to keep the posts here on topic. Project M is not going to be a richer, stronger game three years from now because everyone learned about trashbag moneymatching.

I had something to contribute but it was pertinent to a post 2 pages of crap ago, so there's little point now.
Well I did post a tier list and spent like an hour writng up reasoning (whichi did because someone else comlained this was becoming the 2nd social threasd) but then armada posted and it turned into the 20th discusion on pal fox and why olimar is not well designed. Which i do enjoy reading, and the snake talk was really interesting for me as i have no exp in that matchup.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
The only nerfs Fox has are the lasers dealing less damage the farther they travel, and no invincibility on Shine. And the waveshine infinite being removed.
No, I realize these are the only specific nerfs to the character. And to somebody else's argument, the invincibility on shine lent a LOT to his edgeguarding.
The only nerf I would add to this is that his Firefox slightly curves, as a leftover from Brawl. This is a negative change for his recovery and the angles he can use.

What I'm saying is that he has received indirect nerfs from the physics system and changes to other characters. Note that I'm not only saying that the other characters have gotten better, relative to Fox... although that is true. I'm mainly saying that many of the characters have had their properties changed, such as gravity/floatiness, crouch-cancel properties, super-armor, etc, which has a HUGE impact on which combos work now, and which just don't...

Whereas in Melee, the Nair > utilt continuation was quite good and led to a lot of options... it just doesn't work on a lot of characters now, because they are able to jump out of it sooner, before any continuation. It's really that kind of thing, where the stupid Fox stuff from Melee doesn't all work in this game, so he has a much harder time against a much larger number of matchups.

His edgeguarding has been slightly nerfed by the shine invincibility removal, his combos have been slightly nerfed against a number of characters, and his recovery has been slightly nerfed in the number of angling options he has. This isn't much, except most of the rest of the cast has gotten HUGE buffs... So whereas Fox was barely the best character in Melee, he had a number of 6-4/7-3 matchups against the low-tiers, which have now been made mostly even, or even disadvantageous.

I just have trouble believing he's actually top tier now... high, definitely, but not top. All this is just my opinion, though.

Hurryupandbangalready

Banned via Warnings
Lol, every time I read something here that talks about a character being intuitive or when i see fox players talk about how the nerfs are "ruining" spacies (the recent stuff ive been seeing) I feel like The Enlightenment is responsible. Even the previous pages about pm being easier than melee was probably started by him as well. You guys are being manipulated by this man lmao

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
That looks to accurate lol. That is the best looking tier list I've seen for PM ever. The only things I would change is to make Samus and Jigglypuff higher.

D

Deleted member

uhh i know as a sheik/marth player i wouldn't want to play rolex

(actually i'd love to play rolex for hours, but you get the idea)

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Lol, every time I read something here that talks about a character being intuitive or when i see fox players talk about how the nerfs are "ruining" spacies (the recent stuff ive been seeing) I feel like The Enlightenment is responsible. Even the previous pages about pm being easier than melee was probably started by him as well. You guys are being manipulated by this man lmao
Not sure if this was directed at me, but to be clear, I'm not saying that the nerfs have ruined Fox... actually, I think he's about where he should be now... I just disagree with his general placement in the top tier now.

As a note, some technical aspects are easier in P:M... SHDL for example. Overall as a game, there's a LOT to know, though, so I wouldn't call it an overall easier game.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
I think DEHF @ Apex is a good indicator of far well people have taken their characters at this point. The Melee vets are clearly more developed, but a lot of Melee players don't do well in PM if they've never practiced it before. As someone who's put work into the game and is more familiar with the match-ups, despite not being a top Melee player, he was still able to make it very far in the tournament. Aside from understanding the basic functions and properties of moves, it seems very few PM players have taken their characters even close to where they could go (which is awesome).
I don't practice PM much and don't know most of the match ups in the game. The only match up I feel like I truly know, aside from the Melee characters, is DDD and that's because I've played Fly in tournament multiple times.

PM is easier than Melee, so I make a lot less technical errors in it, which is why I feel like I do better in it.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
His edgeguarding has been slightly nerfed by the shine invincibility removal...
The only thing the invincibility removal does is make Fox trade interactions he would have beat previously. He's not realistically going to be losing anything he didn't before.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Fox receives drastic changes in every Smash Bros. game and people continue playing him fine. Compared to those, his Project M changes are very small (I feel like they're small even without comparing). PMBR isn't going to turn him into Wario (although, that side-B would be nice). Compared to all the other PM characters who have gotten complete re-works to many essential parts of their kit throughout the patches, Fox is nothing.

I'm still working on my own personal tier list. The upper parts of it is rather stable but moving to the mid and below is shaky..

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Got this from putting the 3.0 tournaments since pm beginning of December into a numbering system,, about 15 tournys, thoughts?
S:
1 - Falco
2 - Marth
3 - Fox
A:
4 - Sheik
5 - Wario
6 - Link
7 - Metaknight
8 - Mario
9 - Mewtwo
A-:
10 - R.O.B.
11 - Captain Falcon
12 - Roy
13 - Dedede
B+:
14 - Charizrd
15 - Zelda
16 - Ike
17 - Pit
B:
18 - Snake
19 - Lucas
20 - Donkey Kong
21 - Wolf
22 - Diddy Kong
C+:
23 - Zero Suit Samus
24 - Luigi
25 - Toon Link
C:
26 - Ganondorf
27 - Bowser
28 - Pikachu
29 - Squirtle
30 - Kirby
D:
31 - Ivysaur
32 - Peach
33 - Samus
34 - Mr. Game and Watch
35 - Lucario
36 - Sonic
F:
37 - Jigglypuff
38 - Yoshi
39 - Ice Climbers
40 - Ness
41 - Olimar

NWRL

Smash Ace
Zelda's a lil high, same with Falcon. Wolf's a lil low, but other than that it's pretty okay. I don't believe Marth is that high either, but yeah.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Got this from putting the 3.0 tournaments since pm beginning of December into a numbering system,, about 15 tournys, thoughts?
S:
1 - Falco
2 - Marth
3 - Fox
A:
4 - Sheik
5 - Wario
6 - Link
7 - Metaknight
8 - Mario
9 - Mewtwo
A-:
10 - R.O.B.
11 - Captain Falcon
12 - Roy
13 - Dedede
B+:
14 - Charizrd
15 - Zelda
16 - Ike
17 - Pit
B:
18 - Snake
19 - Lucas
20 - Donkey Kong
21 - Wolf
22 - Diddy Kong
C+:
23 - Zero Suit Samus
24 - Luigi
25 - Toon Link
C:
26 - Ganondorf
27 - Bowser
28 - Pikachu
29 - Squirtle
30 - Kirby
D:
31 - Ivysaur
32 - Peach
33 - Samus
34 - Mr. Game and Watch
35 - Lucario
36 - Sonic
F:
37 - Jigglypuff
38 - Yoshi
39 - Ice Climbers
40 - Ness
41 - Olimar
Peach should be at least B, and Yoshi is either A or S imo. There are lots of other spots I disagree with, but those are the two that stood out the most.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Is that list averaging their placements in the tournaments or just how many tournaments they've shown up in or something else completely?

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
Is that list averaging their placements in the tournaments or just how many tournaments they've shown up in or something else completely?
This list is completely based off of characters placements in top 10 in 3.0 tournaments, with a little weight towards apex. So if someone is 'too low or too high' than they have probably just had unexpected results in recent tournaments or something

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
That tier list is a good example of why you don't do tier lists based purely on results. You get weird outliers, such as Peach at 32nd, Link at 6th, Yoshi/ICs in bottom 4, and Wolf/Lucas being mid tier. Some of that is likely due to a low sample size though.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Yoshi is destined to be bottom tier until PM players stop playing him like Brawl Yoshi.

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
This list is completely based off of characters placements in top 10 in 3.0 tournaments, with a little weight towards apex. So if someone is 'too low or too high' than they have probably just had unexpected results in recent tournaments or something
I was actually thinking of a list like this the other day. It's definitely interesting to see who is winning tournaments.

Edit: I think this list would be really great if you sort of kept updating it every couple months and if it also had some other lists placed next to it to compare it with such as character popularity.

Last edited:

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
That tier list is a good example of why you don't do tier lists based purely on results. You get weird outliers, such as Peach at 32nd, Link at 6th, Yoshi/ICs in bottom 4, and Wolf/Lucas being mid tier. Some of that is likely due to a low sample size though.
There are probably some issues here and there, most likely as you said from the sampling size, but I think there has been around 17 tournaments, so Ill probably update it in a while when more have happened. But tier lists must be mostly based on results otherwise there will be too much opinion and favoritism, if someone thinks a character is underrated in a tier list than that character should prove it in competitive play...,,,

Sashimi

Smash Ace
There are some great Melee Yoshi's that play PM though like Vectorman.
But Vectorman is much more focused on Melee. He understands the character very well, but the rest of the cast (aside from the Melee top tiers) is also new. I meant "PM players" as in people who play PM first, as they're the ones who will know their matchups.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
But Vectorman is much more focused on Melee. He understands the character very well, but the rest of the cast (aside from the Melee top tiers) are also new. I meant "PM players" as in people who play PM first, as they're the ones who will know their matchups.
That's true. I still think Yoshi is top/high tier material though.

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
There are probably some issues here and there, most likely as you said from the sampling size, but I think there has been around 17 tournaments, so Ill probably update it in a while when more have happened. But tier lists must be mostly based on results otherwise there will be too much opinion and favoritism, if someone thinks a character is underrated in a tier list than that character should prove it in competitive play...,,,
That's why I said purely based on results. Basing a tier list on what characters do well is a good approach, it's just that if you only based it on results, you end up with underrepresented characters being placed very low regardless of their strength as a character. Yoshi is a good example here as many people will agree that yoshi is pretty damn good in this game (likely in the top 20), but not a lot of people play Yoshi, so he will be underrepresented and in lists based on results he will generally be on the lower end. Which brings me to the other problem with relying purely on results is that what you're actually doing is creating a history of what characters have performed well in the past rather than a ranking of the character's relative goodness in comparison to the rest of the cast, or a prediction of what characters will do well in the future. In other words, I think a purely results based list is a great tool to use when trying to create a tier list, but shouldn't be substituted in place of one as it has issues that makes it function poorly as a tier list.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Ivy seems low. I know she's been sonic-nerfed, but still.
Not even close to Sonic-nerfed. As she stands, she's better than 2.5 Ivy, who I thought was already a fairly capable character in the right hands.

Top Bottom