• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thought's on Kirby's current tier postion?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
As of 9/24/10 Kirby is still a mid tier character, but a great one, still has potential of being high tier:

Tier List Version 5
S: :metaknight:
A: :snake: :diddy: :falco: :warioc: :marth: :popo:

High
B: :olimar: :pikachu2: :dedede: :gw: :lucario: :zerosuitsamus:

Middle
C: :toonlink: :kirby2: :fox: :rob: :pit: :peach: :dk2:
D: :luigi2: :wolf:
:sonic: :ike: :shiek: :ness2: :pt:

Low
E: :yoshi2: :lucas: :mario2: :bowser2:
F: :falcon: :samus2: :jigglypuff: :link2: :zelda:
Ganon: :ganondorf:

As currently, Kirby has rose +1 placements on the current tier list, this thread is here to discuss your thoughts of his placement. Of course questions are necessary as well. Feel free to ask away.

Link To Tier List 5 Thread

rgrwilco

Smash Apprentice
i rather have kirby in a lower tier just cause, using a underdog is always much funner to route for, or play with. Then agian, the tier list sometimes doesnt really matter much

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
I wanna get kirby's spot on that list higher. That still looks slightly low to me. I'll prolly be attending more tourneys in texas now after this.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
i rather have kirby in a lower tier just cause, using a underdog is always much funner to route for, or play with. then agian tier list sometimes doesnt really matter much
Asdioh said:
I actually thought Kirby would go down a few spots..not up one.

I mean, everyone knows what to expect from him now, and his "inescapable" throw combos are no longer "inescapable" for most characters. I guess he's still getting pretty good tourney results, though.

I WANT him to be lower though. It's so much more satisfying to beat people with a low-tier character, why do you guys want your characters to rise up, wtf is wrong with you @_@
My thoughts exactly...but like I said, I thought he would go down.

Tier lists are stupid though. Seriously. People are arguing so much about trivial things.

Smiley: I'll probably be attending more midwest tournaments :]

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Imo wario should be out of B tier and Kirby should move in below olimar. But hey, you're not supposed to like the tier list 100% >>

Anyways, the top of the tier list hasn't really changed much. A majority of them are still bad match-up's for kirby. Really, I don't think the tier list will change much....

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I would've wanted Kirby to go down a few spots. He is a good character, but it is satisfying to beat someone with a low tier character, and if he moved up, you would get less bragging rights instead of getting more, and more people would john about you using a higher tier character.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
kirbys spot seems about right. he could maybe be above a character or two near him and maybe be below DK or IC's.

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
I like Kirby's position. He's really come into his own since Brawl was released. Its fun to beat my friends (who dont know anything about Brawl) who think he is really the weakest characters. They like to pick characters like Capt. Flacon ^^.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
This tier list is based only on tourney results, right?

Good to see he's still up there. Don't know if I want him to keep going up and get more respect or go down a few spots and be more of an underdog.

Off Topic: Anyone know how Olimar shot up that far? I know he can do some crazy stuff with his pikmin, but a light character with almost nonexistent (when edgehogged, which is really easy against him) recovery?

Percon

Smash Lord
This tier list is based only on tourney results, right?
No. I think you can check official 2.0 the thread for an explanation on how we did it.

This
Good to see he's still up there. Don't know if I want him to keep going up and get more respect or go down a few spots and be more of an underdog.
Contrary to popular belief, using a high-tiered character isn't a bad thing. As a matter of fact, it's usually a good thing.

This
Off Topic: Anyone know how Olimar shot up that far? I know he can do some crazy stuff with his pikmin, but a light character with almost nonexistent (when edgehogged, which is really easy against him) recovery?
Olimar is very good and has assets other characters can only dream of. He can force all but maybe 2 people in the roster to approach with his >B and his pivot grab is possibly the best camping/counter tool in the game. If nobody can get to him, then he'll never need to recover. He can combo out of his throws (and has crazy legit combos involving purples and stuff), spam grabs and smashes all day and has very accessible kill moves (usmash/dsmash/ and 3 colour dependent air moves and throws)

And that's just a brief summary. A steep learning curve and poor recovery turn people away though.

Mr_Orion

Smash Apprentice
I think the lower the better.

I get a lot of **** already because the rest of my crew uses low tier characters, like Falcon.
Apparently, Kirby is cheap. (?!?)

A higher position is just something extra for all of the losers to john about.

Mr_Orion

Smash Apprentice
I think the lower the better.

I get a lot of **** already because the rest of my crew uses low tier characters, like Falcon.
Apparently, Kirby is cheap. (?!?)

A higher position is just something extra for all of the losers to john about.

KirbyBeatBox

Smash Rookie
I have always loved kirby, I think it's kinda cool that he is moving up, but seriously who cares as long as you can play the character well. I also like how the new tier list is going to be released on my b-day. XD

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I don't care about this tier list. These people in the SBR think they rule the smash world and whatever they say happens. I already knew Kirby was high tier before they even said so. Nobody need's to know about tier lists when it's an opinionated tier list like this one and partly based of Ankoku's character rankings, which is not a tier list, its just the same old people winning tournaments with their same old character, for example, Pikachu wouldn't be so high without Anther, and Anther is just 1 Pikachu player.

It just makes me mad because the community accepts it. This is a way different community than Melee, there's lots of ******** n00bs now.

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
I can't get why people saying ''I want Kirby to go down, it's fun beating them with a low tier'' Just take A low tier character then, Kirby is not made for you... Because Kirby seems to stay high for a while.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
I can't get why people saying ''I want Kirby to go down, it's fun beating them with a low tier'' Just take A low tier character then, Kirby is not made for you... Because Kirby seems to stay high for a while.
Because theyve based theyre opinions on online play, whereas Kirby is a low tier character :laugh:

He is actually VERY tourny viable is why he is pretty high.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Tier list in Melee was always a bit off. Sheik was always top tier, but good luck winning a tournament with Sheik (unless your Korean DJ or Drephen). The real list should have been Fox, Falco, Marth, then CF or Sheik. It would have been interesting to see how the game would have progressed after Mango perfected Jiggs :( I miss it.

Im still new to Brawl, so this position on the tier list scares me a little. I can still easily change characters, and I'd like to choose a high tier character so I have a shot at winning tournaments. I remember how sucky it was being a Samus main in Melee. People with a lot less experience than me could be just as good because they played a top tier :(

As long as Chu keeps winning, I'll stick with Kirby though. I'm afraid MK will get banned and I hate Snakes playstyle.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Tier list in Melee was always a bit off. Sheik was always top tier, but good luck winning a tournament with Sheik (unless your Korean DJ or Drephen). The real list should have been Fox, Falco, Marth, then CF or Sheik. It would have been interesting to see how the game would have progressed after Mango perfected Jiggs :( I miss it.

Im still new to Brawl, so this position on the tier list scares me a little. I can still easily change characters, and I'd like to choose a high tier character so I have a shot at winning tournaments. I remember how sucky it was being a Samus main in Melee. People with a lot less experience than me could be just as good because they played a top tier :(

As long as Chu keeps winning, I'll stick with Kirby though. I'm afraid MK will get banned and I hate Snakes playstyle.
Samus, in melee was a very good high tier character, I used to secondary her. You should be able to play whoever you want, just don't choose a character off a tier list.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
This tier list has too many Tiers.
Seriously... we don't need 9 different Tiers for Brawl, nor do we need an "S" and "SS" rank either.

"C" sounds about right for Kirby, but then I look and he's above DK and Ice Climbers which seems wrong to me. Maybe he should go above DK just because DK has some terrible matchups (Dedede I'm looking at you), but Ice Climbers can infinite any character which sounds a lot more promising than what Kirby has going for him.

So while "C" looks about right, the ranking of "C" itself seems wrong, but I don't see Kirby as a "D" character. The whole list needs to be reworked to make sense.

(And Wario definitely needs to drop lower).

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
No! Why would I pick my character based off a stupid tier list. *looks at the fact that I play Captain Falcon almost as much as Kirby because he's bottom tier*

Ok well, you know what I mean. Tiers mean little to me, I just wish that Kirby was lower for my opponent's sake :) so they won't john when they lose.

Because theyve based theyre opinions on online play, whereas Kirby is a low tier character :laugh:

He is actually VERY tourny viable is why he is pretty high.
Captain Falcon's pretty tourney viable too...except against some characters. And I didn't base my opinion off of online play, I just mean that I wish Kirby was lower for "bragging rights" like in Melee :]

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
lol Captain Falcon is terrible, end of story. You need to understand that tourney viable means they are a relatively safe if not reeeaally safe option in a tourney. Kirby has some bad match ups but he isn't as ****ed as he lower tiers are.

Asidoh do you play at tourneys because last time I recall you said you haven't faced G&W's that use Bucket Braking, inferring that your region is crappy and isn't a good representation of what characters are 'viable'. Not trying to be elitist here, but come on. >_>

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
The last tourney I went to was before that "bucket braking" video came out. How long have YOUR G&Ws been doing it >_>

My region has Anther, that's all we really need.

And there weren't many G&Ws at the last tourney anyway, only ones I can think of are Princess Aura and Infy. And Infy used Captain Falcon sometimes (and won lol)

Most of the G&Ws from my first tourney ever (which was in like August....I swear at least half of the TVs had at least 1 G&W on them at any given point in time) have probably switched to MK by now.

-_-

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
The last tourney I went to was before that "bucket braking" video came out. How long have YOUR G&Ws been doing it >_>

My region has Anther, that's all we really need.

And there weren't many G&Ws at the last tourney anyway, only ones I can think of are Princess Aura and Infy. And Infy used Captain Falcon sometimes (and won lol)

Most of the G&Ws from my first tourney ever (which was in like August....I swear at least half of the TVs had at least 1 G&W on them at any given point in time) have probably switched to MK by now.

-_-
Bucket Braking has been out for a while, I assumed you were talking about a very recent tourney. Well then I retract my previous statement.

Either way C Falcon sucks. And lol at G&W mainers going to MK.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Low weight didn't stop G&W or Metaknight from taking A and SS tiers o_o
Metaknight beats people at like so much **** it really doesn't ****ing matter. He is the best gimper, has amazing range and his transcendent priority is sex. His tornado adds a lot, and his kill moves are really fast cept for f smash and even that is decent. And wow you have got to be the biggest noob here to not realize G&W lives for a long ****ing time. His light weight helps him not get combo'd, it's a blessing for him really, and Jesus Christ we're lucky he's a lightweight. Sakurai made like no attempt to balance characters, he could have made G&W heavy not realizing he would live to like 300%.

Fabian the Fastman

Smash Cadet
Metaknight beats people at like so much **** it really doesn't ****ing matter. He is the best gimper, has amazing range and his transcendent priority is sex. His tornado adds a lot, and his kill moves are really fast cept for f smash and even that is decent. And wow you have got to be the biggest noob here to not realize G&W lives for a long ****ing time. His light weight helps him not get combo'd, it's a blessing for him really, and Jesus Christ we're lucky he's a lightweight. Sakurai made like no attempt to balance characters, he could have made G&W heavy not realizing he would live to like 300%.
I was just pointing it out in response to CB's assertion that Kirby can't take B tier or higher because of "light weight," when two top tiers are clearly lightweights. And yes, I already know that G&W has one of the best recoveries in the game and that Metaknight is clearly uber.

What the hell did I say to provoke such a contemptious response from you?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I was just throwing that out, in response to CB's assertion that Kirby can't take B tier or higher because of "light weight," when two top tiers are clearly lightweights. And yes, I know G&W has one of the best recoveries in the game and that Metaknight is clearly uber.

What the hell did I say to provoke such a contemptious response from you?
He didn't just say it was due to his light weight and Kirby gets killed pretty early compared to others, your argument was flawed. Light weight is a bad thing for Kirby, a good thing for G&W, you cant reverse the two.

lol Asdioh dont be that guy.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
lol Kirby is gonna be around that spot prolly forever. I've yet to see a single development that hurts him so much it bumps him down.
I thought it would go down because of the simple fact that his throw combos are nowhere near as good as they used to be, since so many characters found ways around him.

I think Chudat owning tournaments helps keep him up more than anything. He's a good character, but I can see a few others rising above him.

I also think Yoshi is way too low. >_>

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I think Chudat owning tournaments helps keep him up more than anything. He's a good character, but I can see a few others rising above him.
^This. It's the same logic as when mango took jiggs up to the next level and showed her potential in melee. Jiggs isn't exactly top tier but she did go up on the tier list, and it's mostly attributed to mango.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i agree with this mostly. my try at kirby has had its ups and downs... he isn't phenomenally good, but he is certainly balanced enough to conquer almost any matchup. just gotta play ahrd and smart, too good

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
"C" sounds about right for Kirby, but then I look and he's above DK and Ice Climbers which seems wrong to me. Maybe he should go above DK just because DK has some terrible matchups (Dedede I'm looking at you), but Ice Climbers can infinite any character which sounds a lot more promising than what Kirby has going for him.
Ice Climbers infinite's can be easily avoided because of their bad grab range, since people fear the grab, they do they best not to get grabed by picking someone that has great range, use move's to prevent them from getting grabed, like Kirby can D-Tilt the Ice Climbers and not get grabed, so they have to rely on somthing else.... since most Ice Climber pros just do chain grab's most of the time, that makes them easily pridictable to not get grabed. Donkey Kong's Case, well you said it your self. =P

(And Wario definitely needs to drop lower).
The amount of stuff Wario can do, I'm suprised he's not at the A Tier. XD

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I thought it would go down because of the simple fact that his throw combos are nowhere near as good as they used to be, since so many characters found ways around him.

I also think Yoshi is way too low. >_>
I'm pretty sure by the time the first list came out what did/didn't work with throw combos was already known to a point.

Chudat is the face of Kirby in competitive play lol.

Top Bottom