• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Thinking of joining the Pro Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Luigis mansion roof is pretty gay, difficult to vertical kill but nice to utilt combo off lol.

The way I see it, glide tossing+Jump cancelled throws are the wavedash of Brawl. Peach, Diddy and ZSS look sick utilising it, and they're able to since they have their own 'items'. For other chars they don't have that ability through lack of items, so if we added some items ;)

NNID
Budget_Player
Above speaks the truth.

In terms of items, all of you get in a group, test some items and see if it works. I wouldn't be bothered by items as long as the ones allowed aren't broken. So, if someone wants to add in Mr. Saturn because he makes combos happen, let them. But if you tell me the Hammer is a legitimate competitive addition, I'll punch you so hard you'll digest my ring finger.

I suggest we just start all over from scratch and pretend like the past few years never happened and Brawl just came out a week ago.
The hammer is a legitimate competitive addition. If you pick it up, you're running a lot of risk. It's easy to chuck a projectile through it, or shieldgrab out of powershield, or or or... It's in fact a fairly bad item. Also if the head flys off, you lose your stock.

I honestly don't see why everyone on these forums think I'm a troll. Before EVO this year, I saw a few Americans, including Marn and Floe, two top Super Street Fighter IV players, playing Brawl. They invited me over, and talked to my translator and eventually talked me into playing, and I must say that it's not as bad as people say it is.
***** + TIMESTAMP OR GTFO

Distant Planet, Luigi's, Corneria, etc. WERE all given fair chances, especially on WC and in the Midwest, and we all realized they were freaking gay and were not good competitive stages. :x
Really? Did you? Or did you see a broken tactic, never found a counter for it, and then decided, "**** this we're going back to FD"? How did you determine this? How long did you test before banning an integral part of a smash game?

humble

Smash Ace
I would say that if we wish to continue the discussion of the validity of items in brawl, then someone can create a topic in the tactical discussion boards. As Hylian has shown that this is an account made by an identity thief, I suggest this thread is closed, he is banned, and we relocate to a more proper venue for our discussion.

humble

Smash Ace
In a competitive scenario, the objective is to enter into competition with your opponent and emerge victorious. When its a sporting competition like video games, its meant to see whether you or your opponent is the more capable competitor. As such, you want to reduce the scenario to become an equal playing field for competition. When you enter into competition, you want to reduce the element of chance as much as possible so that you are the one affecting the outcome of the match, and not a random variable. Thus you attempt to remove these outside factors in order to be sure that this competition is begun on a level playing field, with the winner being ascertained by skill alone.

This, is the viewpoint I take in regards to the situation. Of course there is a certain amount of preference to the choice of how we play- however, the vast majority are all of the same opinion in regards to it, and the opposing opinion is equally a matter of preference. As I stated above, the reason for the removal of items and certain stages, is that they factor into the outcome of the match, and often become the deciding factor. However for the majority of people who enter into competition, when they win/lose, they want to be able to know that it was because they were the superior/inferior player, and not because a random uncontrollable anomaly arose in their match, and they lost due to chance not being in their favor. People prefer to know it was skill, not luck, that wins them a match.
Quoting my post because the pro item group has yet to respond and I'm curious as to their thoughts.

As long as the mods don't mind, lets continue the discussion- I'm learning a lot from Jack and Budget, who provide some sound and reasonable arguements for items.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Well, it's kind of disappointing to hear the this "Daigo" isn't the real deal. I mean, it's not surprising, but I still would have liked to see the real Daigo get his hands dirty with Brawl; I'd have LOVED to see what he could do.

As for the topic at hand...

As well thought out and fair as this sounds, I can't help but take it somewhat lightly considering your signature, which is asking to ban something else...
Learn to separate me from my arguments. The first rule of debate is "Don't make things personal." Just because I seem to be contradicting myself doesn't mean my arguments aren't sound. Even though I seem to be acting hypocritically, I could also have logical reasons for doing so (because the second rule is "never show all of your cards at once" ^_-).

Quoting my post because the pro item group has yet to respond and I'm curious as to their thoughts.
First off, there IS NO Pro-item group. People misconstrue this in EVERY ARGUMENT items are brought up in. I can't speak for anyone else, but I am not, in fact, pro item. I hate items. They annoy me, and make me worse at this game than I already am because I'm REALLY bad at multitasking. That being said, all of my arguments for PREEMPTIVE BANNING still hold true, and that, by default, includes how we treated the subject of items. If my argument is to hold sound, we have to give up our banhappy nature towards EVERYTHING, and items would be included.

Now, I'll continue with your post.

In a competitive scenario, the objective is to enter into competition with your opponent and emerge victorious. When its a sporting competition like video games, its meant to see whether you or your opponent is the more capable competitor.
So far, so good.

When you enter into competition, you want to reduce the element of chance as much as possible so that you are the one affecting the outcome of the match, and not a random variable. Thus you attempt to remove these outside factors in order to be sure that this competition is begun on a level playing field, with the winner being ascertained by skill alone.
See, THIS is where most people get hung up. Random chance. Is it good or bad? Necessary or not? How much is too much? In a way, these are ACTUALLY scapegoat questions.

Take that in for a second.

The concept of "don't get any random in my Brawl" is really a moot point, in the long run. Let me ask you, are you a game designer? Have you crafted a game, in any form, before? I have experience making small text games for programming assignments, but other than that, I don't, and I'm willing to bet that most of the pro players in Brawl haven't, either (if they did, they wouldn't be playing; game design takes a LOT of time). Why is this important? Because we, as players, don't have PERSPECTIVE. We are looking at the game from the inside, out. We see the game as it is happening, and we have a goal, and we want that game to allow us to achieve that goal. For US to modify the game, necessarily, demonstrates a conflict of interests between us and the game; in theory, we could modify the rules so much so that we ALWAYS achieve a win state, couldn't we?

We, in essence, are screwed from the start.

Now, why does this matter when it comes to random chance? Let's look at the critically-acclaimed and award winning board game, Settlers of Catan. In this game, the win state revolves around resource collection. It's actually a very cerebral experience. However, the game board AND the resources collected, revolve around cards drawn and dice rolled. Now, we, as players playing competitively, may say, "Even the inkling of random chance means that I have less of an effect on how I win the game. Random = bad". However, we're saying this from the inside, out. Our objective is to win, and as good players, we want to do anything in our power to do that... even if it means degrading the game! Our allegiance isn't to game integrity, it's to OURSELVES. As such, we are biased. Players, necessarily, CANNOT MAKE THE RULES to a game they play, because of this essential conflict of interest. The game, in essence, is OUR ENEMY.

The designer, however, has no personal stake in wins or losses. His job is to design a game where there is a discreet win state and an objective way to achieve it. Sometimes, such as the case of SoC, random chance is A NECESSARY COMPONENT of the game, in order to create the necessary rules AS A COLLECTIVE that allows for a discreet win state. We, as players, will NEVER know this. We have to trust that the game is not out to get us, that there is a discreet win state, and that we can achieve it.

How does this apply to Brawl? It applies to ALL competitive fighting games in the mantras "don't ban until gamebreaking" and "ban as little as possible". Why is this? Why ban at all? First of all, no designer, however good, is perfect, and no game is either. Oversights happen, especially in video games, and sometimes those oversights (such as the IC freeze glitch in Melee) have to be corrected after the fact or else the game loses its discreet win state (and thus, its integrity). However, the reason we should only ban the most egregious offenders is because we, as players, are BIASED AGAINST THE GAME. If we allow one change to lead to another, and another, and another, we can destroy the integrity of the game without knowing it. This is personified BEST in Brawl with stage bans.

By banning stages preemptively, we remove elements from the game and CHANGE IT INTO ANOTHER GAME. Brawl, in its native state, is about multitasking. It's about juggling many different opponents (in whatever form) at once and coming out on top. Sometimes your opponent is a foe, sometimes it's a stage hazard, and sometimes it's an inanimate object, just as a Waddle Dee or banana peel... but, IN ITS NATIVE STATE, Brawl is a game about multitasking. Now, is our CURRENT game about multitasking? Most of the interactive stages are gone. Items are gone. It's 1v1.

We, through overuse of bans, have literally changed the win conditions of Brawl.

Because we are PLAYERS and not DESIGNERS, we have NO IDEA whether what we are doing is helpful or not... all we know, as players, is that our changes allow us an EASIER time of achieving our (now modified) win state, and that we, as players, enjoy the game more... but as to whether the game has its original integrity, we cannot say, because we lack PERSPECTIVE.

Finally, how does this relate to our original scapegoat questions about random chance? Simply, whether a game has random chance or not is irrelevant. A game is designed as is, as a complete product. All of the rules of chess, poker, Settlers of Catan, SFIV, and Brawl have been crafted from the beginning by people who have MORE PERSPECTIVE THAN WE EVER WILL to work together to achieve a goal. Modifying ONE THING has massive repercussions that we, as players, will never understand, and CAN NEVER understand because of out CONFLICT OF INTEREST with the game.

In essence, random chance? Who cares? As long as the game has a discreet win state and gives consistent results, we, as players, CANNOT CARE about random chance. Once the game starts handing out inconsistent results, we can take action, BUT NOT BEFORE... and unfortunately, we've ALREADY committed an offense here because we banned all items and over half of the stages without even PLAYING WITH THEM, purely because we, as players, allowed ourselves the hubris of thinking that we knew what was best for ourselves.

As long as the mods don't mind, lets continue the discussion- I'm learning a lot from Jack and Budget, who provide some sound and reasonable arguements for items.
I agree that this thread should continue. Good discussion IS happening here, regardless of whether the OP is a troll or not.

KunaiX

Smash Cadet
To play with Items would change the game very strong.

It would be more campy, because people which are going to lose wait of her chance to get an Item, when the people know that they could not get anything they are not awaiting it, so lesser camp.

If a Item appear, people doesnt care in her tactics and trying to geht that item, because its broken. My worrie ... i could be that the focus of this game would be lose by the component "Item". You can give it a try, at a tournament, (you would see how many people are interesting in it, i dont see any chance.)

Btw. stickers coming the most of time... would be very annoying to react all the time of this **** (You cant turn off stickers).

NNID
Budget_Player
To play with Items would change the game very strong.
Yeah. But that's the natural, intended state. In playing the game without items, we are changing the game. Not the other way around. We're playing a completely different game!

It would be more campy, because people which are going to lose wait of her chance to get an Item, when the people know that they could not get anything they are not awaiting it, so lesser camp.
And yet, with aggressive pressure and stage control, the chances of you getting an item are far higher. Which is more likely to get a beam sword that drops in a "neutral" area (say, one char has set up camp on one side of the stage-it would be near the middle, probably)-the one who is fast and pressures the camper away, or the camper? Now what if the camper is under constant pressure?

If a Item appear, people doesnt care in her tactics and trying to geht that item, because its broken. My worrie ... i could be that the focus of this game would be lose by the component "Item". You can give it a try, at a tournament, (you would see how many people are interesting in it, i dont see any chance.)
Read the ISP thread's OP. Certain items have to be banned-too random and too potent is a bad combination. We're certainly not going to allow items that, just by dropping, have the possibility to severely influence the match (starman, lightning, mushrooms, bombs).

Also, prove it.

Btw. stickers coming the most of time... would be very annoying to react all the time of this **** (You cant turn off stickers).
The sticker does nothing. You have something like 4 frames of lag if you accidentally pick it up off the ground, which will not happen randomly (they slowly flutter down, remember). WTF are you talking about?

swordgard

Smash Hero
Exactly! Was Green Greens given a fair chance? Distant Planet? Luigi's Mansion? Skyworld? Yoshi's Island (melee)? NO!
Was item standard play ever given a fair chance as a competitive option, or perhaps even the most competitive option? NO!

EDIT: Daigo, ****+timestamp or gtfo

Stages are being rediscussed in the SBR, and we give every stage a fair chance.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Well, I'll say this, swordgard. With all due respect, we only have the BBR member's word to go on there. When your vote tallies show a less-than-50% BBR voter turnout rate, it's hard to believe that you guys give every stage its fair shake.

Any chance of us lowly puny humans getting a little look at that? :3
LOL, no! Are you kidding! That would undermine the BBR. We can NEVER read ANYTHING that goes on in there. Confidentiality and such, you know.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Really? Did you? Or did you see a broken tactic, never found a counter for it, and then decided, "**** this we're going back to FD"? How did you determine this? How long did you test before banning an integral part of a smash game?
We tested the stages hard. For at least a year. They were tested for even longer in the MW. I love you, bro, but you seriously need to take your biased **** elsewhere and learn some of your smash history. :x

swordgard

Smash Hero
Well, I'll say this, swordgard. With all due respect, we only have the BBR member's word to go on there. When your vote tallies show a less-than-50% BBR voter turnout rate, it's hard to believe that you guys give every stage its fair shake.

LOL, no! Are you kidding! That would undermine the BBR. We can NEVER read ANYTHING that goes on in there. Confidentiality and such, you know.
I don't know if you guys will have the discussions released, though in case you guys haven't noticed, we are releasing character discussion threads in their respective boards, go check out Diddy, Snake and others.

Also, the BBR has a lot of players, its unreasonable to expect most of them to vote considering some of them go inactive and then it gets tricky. But I can assure you personally that you guys will love new decisions taken by the SBR on the new ruleset and that the SBR is better than it ever was. Better members, better systems, better ruleset. Sorry if it was delayed though. >.<

NNID
Budget_Player
We tested the stages hard. For at least a year. They were tested for even longer in the MW. I love you, bro, but you seriously need to take your biased **** elsewhere and learn some of your smash history. :x
All right. I never argued for corneria, but if luigi's and DP are really that broken, and there was a lot of serious testing... so be it. How about YI(M)?

I don't know if you guys will have the discussions released, though in case you guys haven't noticed, we are releasing character discussion threads in their respective boards, go check out Diddy, Snake and others.

Also, the BBR has a lot of players, its unreasonable to expect most of them to vote considering some of them go inactive and then it gets tricky. But I can assure you personally that you guys will love new decisions taken by the SBR on the new ruleset and that the SBR is better than it ever was. Better members, better systems, better ruleset. Sorry if it was delayed though. >.<
All right, then...

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Wait, now, BPC, don't give up THAT easily. So we tested stages, you say? This was during the metagame where Snake was unbeatable and DDD was everyone's secondary, right? One year is NOTHING. ESPECIALLY the first year.

Let's not fool ourselves. We should have given this game 2 years MINIMUM before we started banning things left and right; Melee gave ITEMS 2 years, and we didn't even give Norfair's LAVA that long? Come on, people. We didn't ACTUALLY give most elements of Brawl their fair shake. Now that the metagame has matured a bit and we actually KNOW how to use some characters properly, NOW we can give stages a fair test.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
IIRC Luigi's Mansion was legal in some regions, at least Midwest, until around summer of 2009. Distant Planet is STILL legal at some MW tourneys (OUGA IIRC) and I remember it being legal for around the same time.

Snake stopped being the best character at like summer of 2008.

Obviously the metagame's going to keep evolving—waiting to test things until the current metagame is kind of a moot point. If you asked people in summer of 2009 they'd probably say the same thing that, "We pretty much know most things in this game and how to use characters properly." Many people even said things like, "Brawl won't make it until 2010 because of a lack of competitive depth."

tl;dr: Not only is it kinda incorrect to say, "Only now can we make a good judgement on stages because the metagame's matured and we know what we're doing," because that's what we would have said at any point of time since 2009, but as we've seen it's not necessarily a true statement anyway.

Either way, you can't just negate the year+ of stages like Mansion, Corneria, Distant Planet, and Norfair being legal in most regions essentially because they aren't legal right now.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Avarice, I'm going to wager a guess that either you didn't read my MASSIVE post on the last page, or you didn't read it properly. Let me reiterate:

Players will NEVER have the perspective to ban ANYTHING. Ever. Only people without a stake in winning the game, only people without a conflict of interest, can ever make that judgment.

Do the first 2 years of gameplay simply NOT matter? Does the '08-'09 period when we SAY we first tested these controversial stages just not exist in our minds? Of COURSE that isn't the case. I never said that was the case. But, it IS to be taken with a grain of salt and with the knowledge and wisdom that we COULDN'T HAVE POSSIBLY had the perspective necessary to make ban decisions that early in. That's like expecting a 2 year old to know why we should have laws against stealing.

You can't POSSIBLY make the assertion that we now are not better equipped to analyze this game in its entireity than we were then, especially since the rise and fall of DDD, rise and fall of Snake, rise of Meta Knight, half-rise of Diddy... The beginning of ANY metagame is the MOST volatile part BY DEFINITION, so why would you expect us to have perspective then? Of course we wouldn't. We really don't NOW; after all, we still have PLAYERS making the rules. We haven't even figured out that THIS is wrong.

The metagame is drastically different now than it was then, and it will continue to change. But to assert that we did all we could to give EVERY facet of Brawl its fair chance from day one? When most people first booted up the disc and IMMEDIATELY turned items off and went to FD? You're being disingenuous and you know it.

solecalibur

Smash Master
IIRC Luigi's Mansion was legal in some regions, at least Midwest, until around summer of 2009. Distant Planet is STILL legal at some MW tourneys (OUGA IIRC) and I remember it being legal for around the same time.
I run the tounry's at OUGA =D

Its more of a casual tounry (even with the numbers now)
If I wanted to host a serious tounry with our stage list , I'd ask for some great changes
(I run the tounrys I dont create the stage list its a consensus)

Oh yeah

You should go to it

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=279469
Our tounrys are more for fun not black and white tounrys every other week (I do like black and white tounrys dont get me wrong)

Neutrals :
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Battlefield
Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Delfino
Pokémon Stadium 1
Castle Siege

Counter Picks :

Pokémon Stadium 2
Pictochat
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pirate Ship
Rainbow Cruise
Norfair
Distant Planet
Luigi's Mansion (pipes)
Port Town Aero Dive

get at me

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Sole, you so silly.

Also, we haven't made an effort from day one to test things out. Hopefully now, with MLG and people questioning various stage lists/tactics/ etc, there is a better sense of judgement of what we can do now with the game. There's still a lot to be done in the realm of testing and play style evolution, but I do think that we're better equipped now than we were at the start of the metagame.

solecalibur

Smash Master
All these stages are ok but the BBR with their recommended rule set, I dont need to test them out =D

swordgard

Smash Hero
I run the tounry's at OUGA =D

Its more of a casual tounry (even with the numbers now)
If I wanted to host a serious tounry with our stage list , I'd ask for some great changes
(I run the tounrys I dont create the stage list its a consensus)

Oh yeah

You should go to it

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=279469
Our tounrys are more for fun not black and white tounrys every other week (I do like black and white tounrys dont get me wrong)

Neutrals :
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Battlefield
Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Delfino
Pokémon Stadium 1
Castle Siege

Counter Picks :

Pokémon Stadium 2
Pictochat
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pirate Ship
Rainbow Cruise
Norfair
Distant Planet
Luigi's Mansion (pipes)
Port Town Aero Dive

get at me
You got it all wrong.

No items, Ice climbers only, Final Destination.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Mansion, PTAD, and Japes could all find there way into the MLG ruleset at some point. Maybe next year. This year we were sorta shooting to the reintroduction of dynamic stages since a lot of the community had shifted very strongly away from it because of the prominence of EC nationals (for no concrete reason other then "dislike" and arbitrary arguments of something being more "competitive"). Baby steps, if MLG had thrown all those stages into the mix it would probably have been to big a shock to the system for most players. Picto/Norfair/Green Greens were great stepping stones for opening some peoples eyes that, really, these stages add a lot of depth to the game.

And as always, the MK argument doesn't work since he doesn't need those stages to already be able to CP anywhere with a (strong) advantage. Not to mention some of these stages are actually worse then some starters for MK. All limiting the stage list does is limit options for lower tiered characters and also make the game less interesting by removing one of its fundamental components.

humble

Smash Ace
By the way, I would like to point out on a more personal note, that I don't mind a more open stage list- most are far too conservative and there are stages that would obviously work fine for competitive play, and simply allowing the players more options in more diverse stage settings is perfectly alright. I still support the ban upon items in play, but other then that I believe some bans were created too quickly under too little quality analysis. However the post I made does in fact summarize the common opinion of smashers, and it is the belief held by most in regards to play.

solecalibur

Smash Master
It is either "Yoshi's Island(Melee)" or "Yoshi's Island(Pipes)". Not Luigi's Mansion.
inside joke in our crew

I was thinking of removing green greens from MLG would be a better idea but of course my idea lol and AZ is true most nationals are EC stage list

Jem.

Smash Master
Luigi's Mansion should never be legal.

Picto has always been legal in WA, it's deemed worthy of being a CP. It's like FD with changes. (I know Felix does excellent on this stage as Diddy.)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Mansion would probably be lowest on the priority qeue. Japes probably is the most likely addition considering you still see it legal a tournaments here and there.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Yeah, the MLG did the community a lot of good.

Jack Kieser, I don't know if I've ever actually posted my item views in a forum topic with you around. Perhaps you'll have an interesting response.

My view on what constitutes a ban is disallowing a choice to the player that is otherwise a natural part of the game. Players may freely pick characters independent of the choices of the opponent. If we banned Meta Knight, that free choice would be lesser since one choice would be removed. Regardless of whether it's a good idea, disallowing the choice of Meta Knight obviously would qualify as a ban. Stages are a bit murkier. Players do "pick" stages, but one player's choice forces the other to play on that stage as well. We devised a somewhat complex system to facilitate selection of stages throughout a match that ultimately puts the choice in the hands of players. Therefore, I feel disallowing the selection of particular stages is a "ban" in the same spirit that disallowing a character is, and I fight to ensure as many stages are legal as I can. I do, after all, agree that bans should be a measure of last resort and agree that virtually every real tournament bans simply too many stages (even the "liberal" ones don't really give a fair shake to unclear stages like Onett, but I digress).

Items are different. They're a passive part of every match, and within the settings menu you can change which items randomly appear and how frequently they appear. By their very nature, items are not something you "pick" but rather a match setting. Item settings are more analogous to the choice between time, stock, or coin mode than the choice between which characters to use and stages to play on. Traditional fighter culture strongly supports playing games with default settings. However, even a casual inspection of the game reveals that default item settings are simply broken. It's just way too random; a timer appears, and you can grab it for a high chance of instantly going up a stock with a small chance of instantly going down a stock (and a small chance of it being mostly irrelevant). That's just unacceptable for a lot of obvious reasons, and there are major problems with a lot of other items with the Timer just being the most obviously broken. At the point we deviate from the default item settings, I personally feel any other settings are equally arbitrary. The game 1 ISP settings are arbitrary equally as much as the current tournament standard settings of "all to off" and "none" spawn rate are. I have little to no doubt that ISP's item rules are overall fair. There are probably hundreds of fair item setting configurations, some of which doubtless allow even more items than ISP. In fact, I suspect that even something like a Smash Ball may not be truly broken; the battle over the ball itself and clever evasive tactics could very well lead to balanced gameplay, and the fact that the Final Smashes wildly vary in quality is obviously irrelevant in the same sense we don't need to ban anything because Snake's moveset is pretty much better than Ganondorf's in every meaningful way. Even if the Smash Ball ends up dominating matches, that's not necessarily bad; it could be that fights in which final smashes are the most important thing are still fair in a true competitive sense.

I see the following advantages to the current standard for items:

-It's very easy to understand. Everything off and the spawn rate to none is very simple to remember and explain.
-The majority of the community strongly prefers this.
-It is likely, but not clearly, close to the best in terms of making the game competitively deep. Most items make characters more generic; if every character has a Beam Sword, every character is that much more similar to each other. Items make the game more random even if not necessarily brokenly so as well, which is very related.
-It's a "safe" choice. We know the game is for the most part not a broken game with these settings. With other settings we have no such guarantee.

I sympathize with the desire to see as much of the game represented in tournament play as possible, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from. ISP's rules, to me, aren't less arbitrary than the current tournament standard when it comes to how much is "banned" or not, and I feel the "items are banned" common statement is just sloppy speech that isn't really fair in describing the situation. I will admit that items were never given a chance from as soon as it was clear that the default settings were unacceptable (it was obvious very early!), but I still feel the end result is fairly reasonable.

As per your statements about the BBR, I'll say that those of us engaged in stage discussion are doing our best to ensure the best result we can, and some of us do indeed have great concerns about transparency. I don't know exactly how an eventual future rule set from the BBR is going to be released and am not at liberty to discuss the activities of the BBR, but I can give you my word that I'll do everything I can to ensure things are as transparent as possible to the greater public. The private room is a necessary evil in order to prevent populist ramblings and grandstanding from being effective tactics in policy and to ensure decisions are decently informed and actually not just "whatever the community prefers". Believe me, I would really love it if we could just have these discussions in public with everyone giving their fair piece. However, I understand the politics and the nature of the community well enough to understand why that can't work, and I hope you can understand that at least some of us if not most of us really are "good guys" trying our best to ensure the best for everyone.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Nooo! AA, why did you have to post today?? I literally logged on to check and see what has been happening overnight (I'm in Greece on vacation, btw) before I leave for a 4 hour drive to see family... and I find that I have such an awesome post to respond to. I'd like to respond in the standard multiquote style, but I'm not sure your writing style and the points you are trying to make are conductive to it. I'll see what I can do, and hopefully I can get a response to you in some meaningful timeframe.

Please understand that I'd get you a full write-up right now if I could.

chaosmaster1991

Smash Apprentice
In fact, I suspect that even something like a Smash Ball may not be truly broken; the battle over the ball itself and clever evasive tactics could very well lead to balanced gameplay, and the fact that the Final Smashes wildly vary in quality is obviously irrelevant in the same sense we don't need to ban anything because Snake's moveset is pretty much better than Ganondorf's in every meaningful way. Even if the Smash Ball ends up dominating matches, that's not necessarily bad; it could be that fights in which final smashes are the most important thing are still fair in a true competitive sense.

[...]

-It is likely, but not clearly, close to the best in terms of making the game competitively deep. Most items make characters more generic; if every character has a Beam Sword, every character is that much more similar to each other. Items make the game more random even if not necessarily brokenly so as well, which is very related.
Just a short question concerning these two parts if I may.

If you think that items make characters too generic, so that even if they do not unbalance the game, they shouldn't be used, wouldn't that lead to testing with the Smash Ball? If I understood it correctly, you don't think that they are broken either, as they are part of a character's moveset to an extent, but unlike other items they make the character in fact less generic. Just wondering what you think about that.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Just a short question concerning these two parts if I may.

If you think that items make characters too generic, so that even if they do not unbalance the game, they shouldn't be used, wouldn't that lead to testing with the Smash Ball? If I understood it correctly, you don't think that they are broken either, as they are part of a character's moveset to an extent, but unlike other items they make the character in fact less generic. Just wondering what you think about that.
I'm not sure the smash ball makes characters more unique so much as it doesn't make them more generic (that is, it has a neutral effect on character uniqueness). I don't think final smashes are really more diverse than other moves when you consider the effects of using them (for instance, Fox and Sonic have nearly identical final smashes when you consider the likely effect of both: going up one stock), and remember when you have one stocked you lose your neutral special. Of course, it spawns absurdly often if it's the only item on so you need a bunch of other items on if you are using it, and most of those items do make the characters more generic. I see some merit in a rule set that uses items and acknowledge they could possibly be fair and/or balanced, but I see a lot of decent reasons for us to choose the arbitrary setting we already use over the others with the generic nature of so many items being only one factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom