• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Zodiac Braves a NJ/NY Crew *OMG what is that? it's a tree*

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Crew meet for tomorrow is on. Invited guests include:

Doom
Kid
ADHD
iKon
Shippo

The guest list is at capacity, but if you're amazing, ask me anyway.

Bring set-ups if possible. Me, Bleachigo, RJ, Brian, potentially Umbra, +5 guests is a lot of people, and I'd appreciate at LEAST three set-ups if not 4.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
aw I can't do that. Elliot's gonna be in new brunswick at 5ish so I gotta be back by then. I'll cya guys some other time D:

erick gm14

Smash Ace
sorry i couldnt make it last week, ill be up for the next meetin, JGs mom was making hot dogs as tokens for ditching us that day at veridian city, Pierce u remember? we teamed at JGs...oh wait i wasnt supposed to bring that up...****...

iRJi

Smash Champion
Mm. Serious Post Time.

Recently, we had votes on adding members. I just want to take note on whats going on, and write it down in a visible form.

We have already in the crew:

Munk
Pierce
Umbra
RJ
Rookie
Bleachigo
Ryko
BSC

We do however have 2 inactive members due to distance and the environment they are currently in. They are:

Munk
Ryko

I would like to address that I don;t like groups to be huge, because it does present problems. My old limit suggestion was 8, but if we had to 10 people at max.

The current people who are trying to be added into our crew are:

Shippo
Ikon

Now, I personally feel it is important to know why you had votes against you, because you then can improve on what you are lacking. However, Votes are private and are not to be shared. This is what I am going to do. I will tell you both what I Personally like about you and what I Personally don't like. This is not judge by the crews votes, and is only by my perspective.

Shippo: It took me a while to get use to you, I am not going to deny that. You are a trustworthy person. You as a person always puts all of us before anyone in terms of this game, and you try to make sure everyone is having a good time.

Although our crew is mainly based on friendship, it is still also based on personal skill. You have improved, a lot. Even with the improvement however, you are still the weakest link when it comes to all of us. Also, sometimes you have spurratic moments where you burst out in anger, and are very loud which tends to be obnoxious. combining these three flaws is what, in my opinion, is keeping you out of the crew. You have room to learn, and all of us will gladly teach you. What you need to do is accept the offerings, and let us.

Ikon: I am going to cut to the chase, you have some skill man. You surely came a long way from when I first met you. You have diversity and understanding of what it takes to make it to the top.

Despite the fact you are an amazing player, my personal issue is your people skills. You come off to be rude, and none the less it comes off in a childish way. I will be the first to say that I personally hate it when people rant about how much better someone is. What makes a man is not his power, but how he preserves his ability to be humble while being in a state of power. This is my only issue, and while it is only 1, it is a big and hard issue to fix, because this involves you as a person. Your a cool person, so don't take this the wrong way what's so ever, but being humble goes a long way.

That pretty much sums it up. I would like both of you to attend more crew practices if it is cool with everyone else. I want to see you both grow on these aspects. Seeing that you are able to change and attempt to put in effort for something you want goes a long way.

Now for the extra information:

Recently, there has been an issue in the SWR with Kid and his crew mates, This is my way of saying since kid is not in a crew anymore, I would like to see him try to enter our crew. He is a skilled player and to my understanding a very cool person to be around. I have not talked to him about it, but I am sure he will gladly accept any tests to let him into the crew. This is of course, if anyone wants to let him in. This does result in a problem were we will have 3 people trying out for the crew, and only 2 can make it, but I am going to try to talk to everyone and come up with a solution. The only issue with Kid is that we don't know him as a person yet, but time is the solution to this issue.

Anyway, ill be back. TTyl's

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
I get that the votes are supposed to be private and stuff, but why doesn't the crew just discuss it next time we all get together? It'd be good for us all to trade opinions on the matter. Besides, the voting could be done afterwards, and still be private, anyway

iRJi

Smash Champion
I get that the votes are supposed to be private and stuff, but why doesn't the crew just discuss it next time we all get together? It'd be good for us all to trade opinions on the matter. Besides, the voting could be done afterwards, and still be private, anyway
^^^^^^ This. I am all down for this.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Well, let's see.

First, I feel that I should openly admit that when thinking about these things, I have to consider resource management. What this basically means is, I need to take into account things that each member of the crew costs us, and then take into account what they offer us back, and see if it's worth it.

For example, when deciding to add Bleachigo to the crew (he's the newest member, so I'm picking on him), at the time, I had to consider that Brian was driving the van, which had exactly enough seats for every member of the crew, and so rides would be unbalanced if we added a new member. I had to decide that at crew meets, we would have one more person in my house, and determine if we could afford the space. I assume that this person would want to regularly practice with me, and decide if they were worth my time to teach/I find their company enjoyable in a one on one session. I had to determine what this person could bring to the crew.

How does this apply to you? Well, first off, if the entire crew enjoys your company, that's probably all you need to bring to the table. If you play characters that can help us practice, that's also extremely useful. For instance, if Doom were to apply to the crew, he'd be extremely welcolm. He plays a variety of characters at a potent level, and has indeed helped me learn a few MUs (such as Mario vs. Squirtle) through practice. As far as I can tell, the entire crew, especially including myself, enjoys his company greatly. He's ambitious, and strives to get better. He's obviously not perfect, but fits the mold of ZB material.

iKon said that the reason he wanted to be in the crew is because he feels that I could help him improve a lot. While I'm flattered by this complement, it doesn't really fit in with ZB spirit. I don't invite people to the crew just because I like them. I want everyone in the crew to like them. At a crew meet, if two people in the crew have beef, that's a huge problem, because then it causes tension and uneasiness in the room. There are 8 Zodiac Braves. That means that there are 28 separate one on one relationships between the members. ALL of those relationships are positive. If I add just one person to the crew, that means that there are now 36 separate relationships. All of those also need to be positive, or it just wears away at the life and family spirit of the crew.

Every member of the crew is not always completely happy with every other member, but we represent each other, I consider each and every member of the crew akin to family.
Bleachigo causes me to laugh, and if he was ever in trouble, I wouldn't hesitate to rush to his aid. I pick on him, cause he's like a kid brother to me.
Umbra IS my brother, flesh and blood.
RJ I've known for a long time, and when I was younger, he was both influential and guiding to me. Now we're close friends to the point where I trust him extremely, and he is close to my family.
Munk is one of my oldest and most loyal friends of all time, and there are no limits of what I would do for him if needed.
Brian came to my aid when my older sister was terribly ill, and has shown me and the rest of the crew an enormous amount of generosity that I hope one day I'm presented with the resources and opportunity to repay.
Ryko . . . honestly, we picked up Ryko so randomly, just off a whim, and to this day I have NEVER had any reason to regret it. I've watched him grow as a person inside and outside of this game, and thoroughly enjoy every moment of his company, and feel blessed that I was so lucky to make such a random offer to him to join ZB.
R00kie . . . if R00kie and I were any closer, it would be gay. We actually have to restrict the amount we love each other :p. You can just tell by watching our interactions that we consider each other like family.

THAT is why it's so difficult to get into ZB. Every single member needs to be accepted by every other member. I guareentee right now that if I were to hold a secret ballet, and say to each member that if you wanted to vote someone out of the crew, write it down on a piece of paper and drop it into a hat, and no one would know it's you, STILL no one would get voted out of the crew.

Shippo is starting to prove himself to the crew pretty decently. He is slightly improved, and he has always shown generosity to the crew as if he were in it. This is the kind of connection I like to see. When he comes and is amongst us and about us, he feels comfortable to the point where he assumes the position of being a member of the crew. This shows the ambition and kinship that I enjoy. I'm not saying show up as a guest to a crew meet with a custom made ZB shirt (WHICH REMINDS ME, WE REALLY NEED TO GET THESE, WE'LL ALL TALK ABOUT IT LATER)), but the transition into the crew should be smooth. If Doom were to join the crew, little would change. Same with Shippo right now.

Now, resource wise, Shippo is actually an addition to the crew. He's actually shown that he's able to provide transportation to events, which is obviously an extremely valuable commodity in this community. However, let it be clearly seen that I don't simply add people to the crew to use them, or Shippo would've already been in. As RJ quite correctly stated, skill in the game is also an important quality. Despite hours of practice with me, he is still quite far behind everyone. I would suggest more actively immersing himself in not just playing, but improving. When we're playing, ask me questions. Anyone that has ever been around me KNOWS that simply being near me earns you exp in this game, and your knowledge increases. I put in the work, I did my research. If it existed, I would have my PH.D in Brawl. Sometimes people call me arrogant, but I don't care, because I PUT IN MONSTROUS AMOUNTS OF TIME AND EFFORT STUDYING. This means you don't have to go find out all the random stuff by yourself. I'm now a resource to you. With such an amazing resource at your disposal, you should improve at a rapid pace. Honestly, I get so proud when watching the other members of the crew perform.

If I'm accepting you into the crew, this means that you're representing me. Honestly, that means that in every action you take, you are representing me. I have a reputation. I care about my reputation in the smash community. When you go into a tourney match, and there is a ZB in your tag, people associate you with me. I'm not just going to blindly give people this affiliation. You need to have a good attitude on the boards, in person, in the game, and everywhere. In the case of Shippo, why would I want his name affiliated with mine, if he is continuously disliked by the general population, because he cannot control his temper? Why would associate iKon's name with mine, if many people don't like him because he comes off as undeservedly cocky? BOTH of them have improved greatly in these regards, and I expect them to continue to improve, because that's simply striving to become a better person. It's in the way of the ZB attitude.

Resource wise, iKon plays good characters. He's good practice, especially for my Falco because he plays Bleachigo all the time. I personally enjoy his company, and he really does strive to improve. He jokes around a lot, but it's apparent he's joking to me, and I find no reasons to dislike him. He's pretty ignorant about some things, and his vocabulary isn't on my level (ROFL) but he's still young, and that's totally acceptable. Still, he needs to have a positive reputation if I'm going to have him represent me.

Now, one should be able to have a good idea of the way I think in terms of admitting new people into the crew. This is why ZB is small, and this is why I think that we are the best crew.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Wow Dan...After reading all that...I kinda wanna join xD

I love you guys but MOB's for me :)

very good read though

erick gm14

Smash Ace
that was touching Pierce. lol idk why i read all that, but plz let me know when u do another crew meeting, i want u to see how my marths been doin lol., thnx!

Wooj

Smash Journeyman
that was a good read. as of now im not worried about making the crew or not. my hope of joinging was just to be better friends with you guys but with benifits. such as improving my game possibly getting a ride and having u guys around. as of now my top goal in this game is to just beat atomsk and inui. and to become a better player in general ( oh and also to be known as a good player) and ( possibly make money) (which wont happen for a long time) im going to keep being me and im gunna let u guys keep being you. if i get into the crew i'll be glad but if i dont well then sucks for me but that might just make me a better player.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
iKon has good intentions as far as I can tell, is a family member of a crewmate, certainly is skilled, and has improved his people skills.

Shippo is a driver (which you guys lack hardcore), lives literally in Dan's backyard, and has been around since the beginning.

Just my thoughts, which really have no bearing, lol.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
I think the reason I can't join Zodiac Braves is because Munk beat me in tournament cause he swallowed me at 0% in June of 2008.

NEVER FORGIVING, NEVER FORGETTING.

EDIT: Oh. And cause I'm inactive. That too.
COME BY WHiTE PEERSOOOOON!

The crew title should be:
The Zodiac Bleachigo's THE NJ/NY Brawl Crew "Quote/Quote"

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
I don't have yellow fever!

Asian girls (and half of the NJ Smash community) just have Doom fever.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
DANG IT!!!!

Ugh. I purposefully waited to edit it so it'd actually show up as an edit but then you replied too quickly so I couldn't use your catch phrase before you read it and used it yourself!!!!!

PS: Today my two biggest idols in the whole wide world acknowledged my existence through the means of the internet!

As in, the creator of Dinosaur Comics and the creator of Adventure Time both coincidentally talked to me on the same day, that being today!

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I don't have yellow fever!

Asian girls (and half of the NJ Smash community) just have Doom fever.
It so happens that Keitaro happens to be both, an Asian woman, and a member of the NJ community, yet he has chose BS Chung :confused:

Also, I played TvC tonight. It was very fun and easy. Someone teach me about it!

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Pick karas, ken, chun, jun, or ryu, done.

Anyway the crew has 2 new openings anyway since I killed don and rob with ike's down smash and they had to leave. It evens out.

Top Bottom