• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Winning Steak Cinemas: Video Archive & Criticism Thread Updated

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We wasn't talking about Pogaymons, we was talking about pokeymanz.

Also for your Charmander to evolve, you must have 1,600 posts.

Good luck getting tehre without being banned/spamming.

Let me show you mah pokeyman.

:090:

SonicX580

Smash Lord
We wasn't talking about Pogaymons, we was talking about pokeymanz.

Also for your Charmander to evolve, you must have 1,600 posts.

Good luck getting tehre without being banned/spamming.

Let me show you mah pokeyman.

:090:
Ouch but I can do this no problem but at 800 posts what do I get?

:004:

Browny

Smash Hater
PFFT SHELDER WAS MINE

was using him like 2 months ago, when pokemon on quotes wasnt old lol :p

nah u can have him

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That was kinda irritating. No wonder a lot of our threads get closed.
So...yea...quit your ****.

I should be able to update the first post with the vids gf2tw, either today, or on the weekend.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Why not go talk pokemon in the steak it up thread? That seems like a good new chatroom, lol.
Seriously though, keep this thread nice and clean.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I had a nice steak dinner last night. Then i set my plate down and my dog snagged the bit i had left. I nominate that as a Gangsta-Steak moment, lol

Tenki

Smash Hero
Tenki's vote.

The recent attempts at steak have been quite feeble.

¬.¬

Also, this post will contain my votes for 3 vids, when I get around to it.

Vid 1. _______________
Vid 2. _______________
Vid 3. _______________

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Hey, hey, my boxob day thread was made of steak until it got closed and boxob got banned, lmao.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Updated with Gf's Anther v. SP videos. They were pretty good.
Critique: Anther needs to stop falling into that SC -> SCJ pattern. SP started to get him with that jump to bair.

Oh, and the PS1 windmill shenanigans were too good. Although he COULD'VE set up a jab lock. They were friendlies though, so it's all good.

Great to see his Sonic not suicice.
Oh, one more thing, watch for those dairs.

-----

The Deadline for Nominations for Winning 'Dat Steak end December 5th. That's Friday of next week.

Again, I'll be posting my top 3 soon.

[Also, it feels strange using Steak in a non-"ha-ha" way. Still too good though.]

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Friday is 5th of december (WOOT SINTERKLAAS), saturday is 6
Then I stand corrected.

Espy, the 2 vids you posted for Anther against SP's DK were the same.
Read above.
I should really check the videos whenever they have the same people playing again. I almost did the invert mistake with JMan vs. Devin.

Thanks.

EDIT: Fix'd.

-----

I'll nominate:

1. Puffball vs. Kite (Meta Knight) 2: The vertical KO on the first stock and the jab lock near the end make this one for me. Yes, there was a suicide, but the vid as a whole was too good.

2. SoNiK vs. Tac0 (Diddy Kong): There was really too much cool things happening in this one to go down the list. My favorite parts are the spring gimp at 12% on stock two, and on the last stock, glide-toss to dSmash and fSmash after he airdodges. Too awesome. Not to mention this was already a good match to boot.

3. LuCKy's Sonic Combo Video: For the time it was made, it was quite impressive. I just looked at it again, and have only further appreciated it because of how well of a baseline it set.

Also, my Sonic would be slower if I hadn't seen that video on Youtube. At the time it was made, I wasn't a common on the Sonic Boards.

So yeah, those'r my choices.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzMVsk035tU puffball and I got a couple matches in last night... Consider these trials to see how I can best make brawl videos with sound/music/quality/small enough to fit on youtube.

I'll have a second one up later tonight.... it takes like half an hour to get the frame rate right and then it takes a little over an hour to get the music in with the video and then another 10 minutes to condense the video down.

Comments on match:
Puffball has the spin dash>footstool down and additionally he made many smarter choices than me.

This was an online match and I'm sure he would be beating me worse if it was in person.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
About to update with a handful of new videos within the week.
I also have my own recorded vids to upload, but they're all WiFi.
However, these were taken by a friend of mine during a small, in town tournament this weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWpTn10__iM&fmt=18 - Puffball (Sonic) vs. MorningStar (Snake) 1 II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNbVcNS0XkM&fmt=18 - Puffball (Sonic) vs. MorningStar (Snake) 2 II
??? - Puffball (Sonic) vs. MorningStar (Snake) 3 II

They were a best of 5 Winners Finals, but I have been told not to include the last three YET, as they are still being uploaded. They SHOULD be done by tonight.

Then, the grand finals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCBwLbkl9Q&fmt=18 - Puffball (Sonic) vs. MorningStar (Snake) 1 III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt5zBiAEryE&fmt=18 - Puffball (Sonic) vs. MorningStar (Snake) 2 III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJKbUH4fAfI&fmt=18 - Puffball (Sonic) vs. MorningStar (Snake) 3 III

It's funny. What DMK is to me is what I am to MorningStar. In the first set of matches in WFs, I was trying to see how the sideB footstool setups worked. They do, but the damage they dish out is pitiful if I rely on them too much, which is why I stopped using them so much after the first round.

Especially after those two SDs...ugh.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
:o

I'll nominate my Lightspeed guide (just 'cause) and the very old with terrible quality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihP_E8aeamU (because I think it was the very first video that had Sonic owning without sucking at the time - I know it sucks now xD - I remember that I decided to make it because no Sonic would ever use the Spring aside from recovering - and for that I preferred the Spin Dash - and I was upset about that xD).

3rd... I dunno, I'll try to get to it by dec. 5th. xD

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Hey Puff, I'mw atching your matches still, your Sonic's impressive as ever.

Just wanted to point out that your link to the second match of Grand Finals is actually the second match of the Winner's Finals.

This is the correct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt5zBiAEryE

EDIT:

Oh man, that last match was too funny. i was cracking up the second stock. Your SideB spam was having the same effect on him that Nado spam had on you XD.

You read morningstar way too well.

I like your usage of SideB so predominantly in that last match of the Grand finals.

And ins't SDJ so fun? Like side to SDJ its like weeeee fun fun. I dunno why it feels like we have so much more control over SDJ than like, a normal jump.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Metanaito ga Taosenai! WWWWWWWWWWWWWw

This is pretty funny.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QeNjyqNFhmc&fmt=18 <-- Espy vs DMK Round 2.

1) Skip to 2:12 or 3:12 (there are different effects depending on which one you start on) and pause.

2) Open either of these videos, depending on which one you like better and pause at the beginning:
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=FLzCfUM7BM8 <- english
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg <- JP

3) After the videos are fully loaded, hit play on the vs DMK video and turn down the volume specifically for that video.

4) At :18-20 on the vs DMK video, hit start on the other video

5) Watch the vs DMK video

6) ????

7) lol

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The last 3 vids of winners finals have recently been added, so I'll slap them up on the first post as well.

I like your usage of SideB so predominantly in that last match of the Grand finals.
I've been trying out different styles of playing rather than just relying on my old "Don't stop running" tactics. They don't prove too effective against Snake's range, so I gotta space myself right, something I had a bit of trouble doing in those matches.

The conglomorous spinning I was doing in those matches was my style of keeping them on the floor. It would be more useful if I could get to the floor faster, but its still in its beginning development, so I was impressed. I also wish the hop of sideb did a lil' more damage.

Oh, and steak in the Green Greens match.

I'll be developing that style more soon, and keeping my running style prevalent (you can see me switching between my running style, grabbing style, and spinning style quite frequently in that last match.

I'm also currently theorizing what other tricks I can do with Sonic to develop another style, should these three suck and fail later.

@ Tenki: Pure lulz steak. You're english link is to the same match, not the english version.

The song and the match synch up PERFECTLY when you start the music vid when the DMK match hits 2:19. EVERYTHING FITS. It's ridiculous.

You earn a juicy, hearty steak for this.

Tenki

Smash Hero
@ Tenki: Pure lulz steak. You're english link is to the same match, not the english version.

The song and the match synch up PERFECTLY when you start the music vid when the DMK match hits 2:19. EVERYTHING FITS. It's ridiculous.

You earn a juicy, hearty steak for this.
lolol

I fixed the link to the English version.

If you start it at 2:18-20, it even has that whole thing about the
disappearing tiles on the wall lol

If you start it at 3:18-20, there's that part about not being able to defeat
Woodman
and you're like, both staring at the tree. XD

I originally did 3:18 because I mathfailed, but going back to 2:18's version, there's the part about
keeping your E-tank as long as you can
and you're like, trying to stall for time/openings, hahahaha

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yeah. It was quite interesting.

The part when they talk about
waiting to use the E tank for the last moment
, Sonic is crouching in that "what do I do" pose.

I also caught the
disappearing tiles part

Too Good.

Woah, I mentioned the same thing that you JUST edited in.
We were thinking the same thing...

Tenki

Smash Hero
if you have video editing abilities, remake it lol.

The girl who sings the English version has an mp3 of her version of the song. XD

edit:
lol and in the water part, it's talking about how
you have trouble finishing the level
and you're like, rolling backwards and it looks like you're restarting trying to cross the windmill. And the thing about final life, even though it happened to MK... perfect synch lol

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
lolz yeah. Too good.

Anywho, I updated with the three other videos that were recorded vs. Morningstar in the Winners finals. They are updated in the first post.

Also, added Orochi's nominees to the list. Remember, deadline is this Friday!!!

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
lolz yeah. Too good.

Anywho, I updated with the three other videos that were recorded vs. Morningstar in the Winners finals. They are updated in the first post.

Also, added Orochi's nominees to the list. Remember, deadline is this Friday!!!
these vids r too good lol XD ^^,

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So I finally decided to do that weird thing Tenki posted...

I didn't get it until the lyrics started playing.

It made me lol

:093:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Wow, Tenki that was amazing... Puffball, remake the vid, or else I will :)

(if you have the raw vid of your match you could send that to me and I'll do it, if ya want)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Wow, Tenki that was amazing... Puffball, remake the vid, or else I will :)

(if you have the raw vid of your match you could send that to me and I'll do it, if ya want)

If you remake it with that song playing in the background (the 2:18-20 version) with a perfect synch, I'm nominating it lol.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
ROB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV_JEbns7EE - ithrowthings(Sonic) vs. Overswarm (ROB)
(battle 1)
ROB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4fI1Nf97bQ&NR=1 - ithrowthings(Sonic) vs. Overswarm(ROB)
(battle 2)

These matches were not wifi.

I made a crucial mistake each match. The first battle I just gave him a free stock at the beginning by not recovering from his spike. The second match I tried chasing way too early with a neutral B. Hopefully my next tourney I'll have some videos of me winning.

Tenki

Smash Hero
ROB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV_JEbns7EE - ithrowthings(Sonic) vs. Overswarm (ROB)
(battle 1)
ROB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4fI1Nf97bQ&NR=1 - ithrowthings(Sonic) vs. Overswarm(ROB)
(battle 2)

These matches were not wifi.

I made a crucial mistake each match.
Definitely.

You let Overswarm win.

loljk

however, if he loses (and to you), you better post vids.

Also, from wifi experience playing against him, if his ROB loses, he'll use MK and CP Luigi's Mansion.

In that case, you will need to know how to break the stage (which I didn't at the time .. it woulda made matches alot easier XD), as well as how to deal with his D-tilt and Tornado, and maybe even how to use jablock setups.

XD

specific-match-analysis coming in a future edit/post

infomon

Smash Scientist
ithrowthings, a couple notes:

1. Your recovery instincts seem a bit wrong. When you're sent upwards, don't use Sonic's Dair, since it can't be fastfalled during knockback. Instead, fastfall his Fair as soon as you can during hitstun; the best way is to hold down while you C-stick the Fair, if you have a feel for the timing (ie. the earliest you can use an aerial during hitstun). When you're sent towards the sides, again use an Fair asap, but only do it once and then immediately side-B to help counteract the knockback. That's if you think you might hit the side killzone, anyway.
  2. Stop trying to approach with the spindashes, it raaaaaarely worked :( Instead, learn to use ASC as an approach, since it applies pressure, and gives you lots of options for getting in (ASC attack, ASC in front > shield-grab, ASC in front > SDR, ASC > spinshot over and Bair, etc.)
  3. Also, run in and shield-grab. Use shield-cancelled side-B charges to fake-out approaches to help get in.

Just some simple observations, I hope I don't sound condescending. OS' ROB is quite fearful, and you fought valiantly :)

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
ithrowthings, a couple notes:

1. Your recovery instincts seem a bit wrong. When you're sent upwards, don't use Sonic's Dair, since it can't be fastfalled during knockback. Instead, fastfall his Fair as soon as you can during hitstun; the best way is to hold down while you C-stick the Fair, if you have a feel for the timing (ie. the earliest you can use an aerial during hitstun). When you're sent towards the sides, again use an Fair asap, but only do it once and then immediately side-B to help counteract the knockback. That's if you think you might hit the side killzone, anyway.
  2. Stop trying to approach with the spindashes, it raaaaaarely worked :( Instead, learn to use ASC as an approach, since it applies pressure, and gives you lots of options for getting in (ASC attack, ASC in front > shield-grab, ASC in front > SDR, ASC > spinshot over and Bair, etc.)
  3. Also, run in and shield-grab. Use shield-cancelled side-B charges to fake-out approaches to help get in.

Just some simple observations, I hope I don't sound condescending. OS' ROB is quite fearful, and you fought valiantly :)
GAH, too many abbreviations. I think I know what you are talking about in your second part. Third part I don't really understand so much.

As for the first part, I've been told WAAAAAY too many things about momentum cancelling. Back when I was playing the bootleg version everyone told me to just air dodge. Then in the American version everyone's telling me to attack towards the stage. Mostly those dairs were out of pure anger.

I wish I would have remembered to record our MM's earlier in the day I beat him in one of those matches, and the wii had the homebrew channel. I'm gonna record some serious stock taking at some crew battles on the 13th and hopefully someone will record me at the tournaments on the 27th and 28th.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Aah, looks like you're in need of my two tutorial videos:

[Sonic's side-B and down-B explained]
^^ hopefully beats the acronyms into your head, and might clarify some of their details

[How to Recover, after DI: momentum cancelling, etc.]
^^ I've done extensive research on this and have been involved in the latest threads on the subject. Let me know if you have any questions afterwards, since the vid could be improved (I'm actually working on an update video of sorts tmrw morning).

Hope this helps...

Edit: The first vid isn't really as simplistic as it sounds; there are some subtle details of SDR, ASC, etc. you prolly weren't aware of.... and even more have been discovered since I made that video (two weeks ago?) lol.

Tenki

Smash Hero
ithrowthings match analysis and tips!

-------match 1------
... spike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV_JEbns7EE
1:11- check out this followup instead of your F-air:
Close D-tilt around 50-60% (opponent DI's/floats towards you) > Shield > Grab the landing
1:16 - when recovering against ROB and using side-B, be prepared to double jump and/or airdodge.
1:38 - As much as you want to do it, don't land an uncharged F-smash at 100% unless you're confident in your gimping skills. If you want a 'knock-off-stage-but-not-kill' attack, use D-smash. For ROB, wait until 135-140% if you're in the center of the stage.
2:00 - lol roll trap. What you could have done was after rolling to the edge, done a side-B from the edge, doing an invincible spindash roll as an approach.
2:45 - He's standing. Spincharge is an effective punishing approach. ROB standing is him not performing any movements lol. Also, another possible time you could have done an invincible roll from the left side of YI to approach instead of Spincharge. If you clang against ROB, he has fast attacks, so be prepared to shield, and you can nail a few more grabs.
2:57 - Don't roll towards ROB if he's not doing anything he's committed to. B-air ***** forward rolls.
3:04/before - try to Z-catch items lol. it lets you catch an item without committing you to an airdodge, so you can do things like pick up + double jump immediately.
3:08 - better spincharge - punished his tilt.
3:11 - Homing Attack :(

:l

-------- match 2 -------
0:08 - I guess work on your item catching.. it's hurt you in both games lol
0:24-30 - Side-B approaches...? They're good at closer range, but at that range, the hop is really too slow and easy to outprioritize, so you're better off doing them with the intent of shielding or jumping.
0:39 - just an idea I got watching this, but most people expect a B-air from Sonic if you're falling from that height/with your back behind him. In this case, imagine the "as;dlkvjcz;xlkcj" feeling he'd get if you just fastfell behind him and grabbed lol
0:41-45 - you totally pulled a SonicX580 there. Get rid of the "MUST ROLL TO THE EDGE AND CHARGE A SPINDASH!" mindset, it's no good :l what if he shot a laser at you instead of shooting a gyro? It'd have been a complete hit.
1:48 - more of this spincharge by the edge. Lucky he didn't aim the laser downwards.
3:30 - lol it looks like spindash-U-air is reflexive for you ? You actually could have gone straight into the B-air. If he tried to jump after that escaped U-air, you would have ended up fighting him for longer.
3:40 - I was busy watching OS floating around like a fairy at the time, but then I looked back and noticed you were sitting there charging spincharge again lol. And when he landed, you increased distance by SonicXing.
4:18 - more autopiloting of spincharge>U-air - the clang made your spindash stop and you went into U-tilt and got grabbed.
4:29 - SonicX'd

Of course, I understand there's pressure when you're on your last life, but your bad habits really stick out when you're under pressure. For me, it's ASC spam. For you, it's roll away > spin charge.

Overall, things that'll help you get better:
- Training to play without the B-button.
- Running, shield, tilt approaches
- Side-B/ASC shield-cancelling // Doing spindashes with the intent of not approaching. Spindash approaches got really old and really predictable. OS made some weird choices as well, shooting gyros isntead of lasers to poke at you while you were charging spindash.
- Don roll.
- More shield, especially out of clangs.
- Getting more comfortable with Sonic's spacing abilities. Most people feel like mid-far - long range is Sonic's comfort zone. It's not. Actually, it's more like close-mid range, just outside of your opponent's attack and roll range. It makes your opponent just one tap of the control stick away - if you pressure your opponent into attacking, it makes that attack possible for you to punish (with a run>shield grab or a dash attack, or even a close/midrange spin charge) while he's in ending lag, as opposed to making it based on bad reaction time, which is a bad thing to gamble on as Sonic.
- Needs more mixup. All your approaches were direct and single-level. Not to mention that most of them were straight out Side-B hop and SDR (grounded side-B//the rolling part of spindash)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4GGuRDQShw
i would like to nominate chaos control for a multitude of different reasons

1. it was the first sonic combo video.
2. the anthinus combo is still rarely used and to this day an amazingly sexy combo that few can pull off.
3. the first clip, 6 up airs is rediculous.
and most importantly
4. 40 seconds into the video.
this clip is too good for words, and i believe will never, EVER be repeated. it is the greatest thing ive ever seen sonic do in this game and i firmly believe that it will NEVER be topped in sick-rediculousness by anybody, not me, not tenki, not boxob, not 3000 or X. NOT NOBODY

Tenki

Smash Hero
4. 40 seconds into the video.
this clip is too good for words, and i believe will never, EVER be repeated. it is the greatest thing ive ever seen sonic do in this game and i firmly believe that it will NEVER be topped in sick-rediculousness by anybody, not me, not tenki, not boxob, not 3000 or X. NOT NOBODY
:O

..yep.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Man, what's taking Napi so long to finish his video?

I expect moments like :40 of that video to be in there somewhere hopefully, it was steaktastic.

Oh, and ill update the vids tomorrow hopefully.

Top Bottom