• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The untapped potential of Shieldbreaker

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
One of my favorite threads out of the ones I made.

I think all Marth players can agree that they need more SB in their gameplay.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
Shield Breaker is lame move, i mean it just breaks shield who would need that?

But on a more game play helping note.

This is great move to close in it has good range and nobody smart is going guard this if they see it comeing,

Also a neat little trick i fond is that if som one dodges Shield breaker try's to punish you can follow up with a UB(this olny works if your decently space away form the player.)

When i was fighting Pierce he did a great SB form the ledge which was a great tatic.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
Shieldbreaker is definitely a winning move for Fox and Falco's trying to Over B towards the stage. So long as you space yourself, you can either

Charge up the SB a little bit and you can get the tip

The other player will probably try to dodge, as Jin said and you can set up punishment.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I have plenty of SB in my gameplay. It's TOO GOOD. It effectively locks off areas for your opponent to be.

Actually, pause. I fought my friend who mains D3 today, full charged SB at him, and he tried to ftilt me. Both connected and he died, lol. In retrospect, he might not have been at max range for the ftilt, but I think this needs further testing. It was especially funny because he always johns that I use Marth and says it's so cheap, and I always remind him he plays a higher tier with a positive match-up vs Marth as I procede to win. He asks why we think he has a positive match-up, and I remind him of his **** grab range, and the fact that he outranges all of my attacks. He got so mad when me shieldbreaker hit him, it was TOO funny.

I may or may not have the replay.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
...yay! Time to test!! If anyone comes up with anything, then go ahead, but im totally trying this tonight.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
hahaha, yeah that's right. You definitely use shield breaker well. Not my favorite memory lol, I was freaking out after the second time you broke it!

∫unk

Smash Master
f-air first 2 hits of dancing blade combo shieldbreaker

For those that are conditioned into shielding this will **** them guaranteed.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
But it sucked because you were in the middle of the platform so I couldn't set up a tipper.
lol I got really really lucky, I thought you were going easy on me, but if I wasn't on that platform, you coulda tippered me with an F smash for sure.

...Good times, haha.

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
I didn't play marth much before recently, and my friends were all the marth mains. They spent a long time talking to me about tipping and his smashes. When I first picked up Marth, my gut reaction was, "OMFG Fair." This morning, however, I was playing against a metaknight and he kept shielding off my attacks. He wasn't quite good enough to powershield, and I just had a brain flash... "what if I try shield breaker?"

I did. He was stunned, and shortly after, dead.

I agree with this thread very much, shieldbreaker is very useful, especially against overly-defensive types (read: myself) and especially when you're against someone who's not expecting it. Anyone who thinks Shieldbreaker sucks will die to it due to underestimating it.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
About conditioning, it made me think of something like, you say, "I'm a really good player."
You challenge someone, and you never grab, and he thinks, not really good. But then you bust out the shield breaker.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Oh my god, there's a thread for this move.

The best mind game move in existence, and a sexy one at that. There is nothing better in brawl than breaking your opponent's shield with this move.

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice
IKE HAS FIRE!

That aside, SB is absolutely awesome when you get used to your opponent's shielding patterns. I broke 4 shields in two matches, and all breaks led to KOs. SB should be used sparingly, but once mastered it becomes a dangerous tool.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Do u know how many ike fsmashes i block on the regluar basis? If that thing broke shields i would drop brawl altogether. (or at least drop marth to my secondary)

P.S. I hate sheild push. I mean c'mon, i deserve a free punish if i block a laggy smash like that
-.-
PS it, then you can do whatever you want to him (no homo)

Top Bottom