• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The untapped potential of Shieldbreaker

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
So...Shieldbreaker is awesome. I can't think of any other word to describe it. When people first learned of it's changes from the transition to Brawl from Melee, a lot of people were disappointed. But then they found out how much it aids Marth's recovery, which is a big deal since now forward B only gives him a boost one time during a jump. But there is a lot more to Shieldbreaker then just being great for recovery. And that's what I'm going to talk about.

Shieldbreaker is a totally different beast in Brawl. In Melee Shieldbreaker was used primarily as an off the stage edgeguarding tool. It was easier to time then fair, it came out fast and had good knockback too. It was perfect for off the stage gimps. Now those days are gone, but now we have a new weapon that allows Marth to directly attack a corner stone of the Brawl gameplay engine itself. Brawl is a very defensive game. We all know it. Luckily Marth is one of the few characters that can stage an aggressive offense although he is just as effective by being campy and defensive if not more so. But thanks to the changes to Shieldbreaker and the Brawl engine itself Marth can stage an offense that PUNISHES players for being overly defensive and shielding too much. But I have gotten ahead of myself. First let's talk about Shieldbreaker's new properties.

- Charges faster then in Melee.

- Is now a very long stab instead of a double handed overhead slash.

- Does slightly more damage now uncharged but less damage fully charged then in Melee.

- Since shields lose energy faster Shieldbreaker is actually effective at breaking shields now.

- An uncharged Shieldbreaker will take out a lot of shield energy.

- Fully charged Shieldbreaker won't take out a shield at full power, but it will still take out a massive amount of energy.

- Shieldbreaker does 8% damage uncharged, 13% damage when charged up for any amount of time except to full, and 18% when fully charged. It will do 22% of damage when fully charged and you hit with the tip of the sword.

- When fully charged Shieldbreaker hits at the tip it does HUGE knockback. More so then any of Marth's other moves. It kills Mario at 45% at the center of FD.

- Shieldbreaker will push Marth forward in the air which aids in his recovery. A full charge will give him a HUGE boost forward in the air.

- Shieldbreaker has 3 main weaknesses. The first is that when perfectshielded it will do no damage to the shield and Marth is left wide open. The second is that it's unsafe on block. The third is that although Marth is fairly quick to attack, an opponent could react to his stance when he draws his arm back and then spotdodge or perfectshield, if the shieldbreaker is overused.

Just a note - shieldbreaker appears to have a third hitbox - the main attack, the tip, and the EXACT tip. Hitting precisely with the end fully charged does 24% not 22%. It also has greater knockback, killing ganon from the center of FD with no DI at 43%, compared to 51% with the approximate tip.
Credit goes to Demonstormkill for confirming this.

So just from reading that it can be seen just how different Shieldbreaker is now. Now it's actually useful...for..well..breaking shields! In a game that is so defensive and shielding is being abused to the fullest, it's exciting to have a character that can counter this type of gameplay. In case you didn't know, when your shield breaks you are left defenseless for several seconds. Also as I side note, I said Shieldbreaker is unsafe on block, but I'm not entirely sure you see. It has a lot of range and I'm not too sure on the amount of shieldstun it has. Plus it has IASA frames on it when Marth has pulled the sword almost completely back to his side. At that point you can cancel into any action, so he might be able to up b to stuff any attempts to punish him. I'll need to test this or someone else can test it and then post about it. I would really appreciate it and I would give you credit when I edit this post with the info.

Anyway, it's obvious that Shieldbreaker has the potential to really alter Marth's metagame, but let me go further into an explanation about why I think it's so good. Well, for one thing, it's very high reward. If you break a shield at a moderate percentage, then it's a free kill for you. And the benefits aren't just in terms of getting an easy kill. There is also the effect it has on an opponent. Once you start using that Shieldbreaker, they have to make a choice about how to play you. They can try to be more aggressive since your usage of Shieldbreaker allows you to punish their defensive play. This is risky vs Marth especially if they become reckless. Marth excels at space control and setting the pace of the match, so blindly rushing Marth won't work. Intelligent aggression would do better, but even still they will have to find ways to deal with his range, speed, and safe zoning game. They can also take the option of still being defensive, but shielding less and relying more on spotdodging and rolling. This is ok, but can become predictable when overused. Dancing Blade trumps spot dodging and Marth can fair camp to circumvent the effectiveness of rolling. Again, this makes things harder for your opponent and easier for you if you play patiently.

Now I just said that Shieldbreaker is high reward which is true. But it takes more then high reward for a move to be good. It's all about risk reward ratio. Ideally you want low risk with high reward. Well, to be honest I think that Shieldbreaker is low risk unless Marth doesn't space it well. Even if they block, since it has a lot of range, your opponent can't punish with anything too threatening. They might get a grab off or maybe an aerial. But nothing serious. If you mess up your spacing then it's very high risk, but as long as you space fairly well you shouldn't be taking a lot of damage even if it's blocked or dodged. Now if it turns out that Shieldbreaker really IS safe on block, then there will be no question. It will be very low risk with very high reward.

Ok, so now you know why it's so good. But now the question is how do you setup for easy Shieldbreaker usage to get that wonderful reward of a free kill? Well, it's all about conditioning and playing on habits. First off you would have to actively attack your opponent's shield and space well so that you tip your attacks. I'm not saying being reckless and just go all out. Play your normal game of course. But everytime your attack chips at your opponents shield be aware of it. Make it a point to put pressure on your opponent's shield. If your opponent is at say 60% and they are shielding, well you know you can get an easy grab, but instead why not do a tipper d-tilt? This way you are safe and working towards that reward. Also when you want to get that reward, you might want to grab less in general. If your opponent notices that you simply aren't grabbing them, they will be more likely to abuse shielding since it's not like you are really stopping them. This is called conditioning. You are using your own actions to make your opponent act in a way that you can easily read them and play off of them to control the match. In this case you are drawing out their shields, by not directly punishing them for shielding with grabs.

You also should be paying attention to certain situations where you opponent likes to shield. Do they shield after an airdodge? Do they shield after they roll or take a hit or tech in place? Do they shield after they attack a shield themselves? Do they abuse shield approaches? These are the things you need to keep in mind so when you have an easy chance to unleash that Shieldbreaker you can go for it.

I'm going to give a rundown of some basic Shieldbreaker tactics.

SH Fair to Shieldbreaker - This is good if your opponent has been conditioned to expect SH double fair. Thinking they can shield a second fair you punch through their shield with your neutral b.

SH Fair to reverse Shieldbreaker - Good for opponents who roll after the first fair but learned to shield after a roll to block an attempt to punish on Marth's part. You Fair then click the analog stick in the opposite direction then neutral b. Also you can do this if you SH fair on a shield but overshoot your opponent. He will quickly turn around with that piercing stab.

Dancing Blade to Shieldbreaker - Risky but still pretty nice. When your dancing blade is blocked stop the combo and then do a Shieldbreaker. Don't abuse this a lot. It's just a surprise to pull out every once in a while. Also you can mix-up between that and grabbing, d-tilting, fairing, or restarting the dancing blade. They can do stuff to stop you so it's not guaranteed, but if the DB was spaced well it will be hard to punish you.

I like doing short hop fast fall shield breakers. You basically just flick the controller diagonally toward or back (wherever the opponent is) and press b. This is probably the best way to disguise your shield breaker because most people think ur gonna do a short hop fast fall fair. You also forgot bout dtilt to shield breaker or jab to shield breaker lol those are both pretty good uses too =P.
Credit goes to meepxzero for posting his own Shieldbreaker strats.

Also, I tested the killing power of fully charged Shieldbreaker on King Dedede in the middle of FD. He dies at 59% with no DI. So I'm guessing at around the late 60's to early 70's he will die even with good DI.

So basically if someone has decent damage on them and their shield gets broken, they are dead. Also if you break Jiggs shield she automatically dies off the top.

Alright, so that's it guys.

Discuss.

FightCity

Smash Cadet
I hated the move at first but I really respect it now. I don't play marth all that much but I think overall it's a cooler move than it was in melee. I like how you speak of conditioning to set it up.

kingofwaddles

Smash Apprentice
i cant say how many times ive broken shields and ended matches with a fully charged smash of my choosing
(always tip!)

Cohen

Smash Apprentice
I guess the sheildbreaker is ok...but don't go using it more than Fsmash

its kinda like Marths side B...like its imporved but its use if very limited...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I so called it!

And I actually did up B someone after they blocked my shield breaker and they tried to aerial me. I'm not sure if they were just slow on reacting or if you really can up B in time, but I'm leaning towards the latter. Jumping actually takes longer than just letting down your shield though, so characters with quick long reach ground moves may be able to punish you.

Now who do we know that fits that criteria?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Someone needs to test if Shieldbreaker is safe on block.

I really can't because in the Tri-state area Brawl is hated as a competitive game and people don't want to play it that much.

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
Just a note - shieldbreaker appears to have a third hitbox - the main attack, the tip, and the EXACT tip. Hitting precisely with the end fully charged does 24% not 22%. It also has greater knockback, killing ganon from the center of FD with no DI at 43%, compared to 51% with the approximate tip.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I actually did it to Mario once while I was messing around with it in practice mode, but when I couldn't reproduce it I just decided it was a fluke.

angdia

Smash Rookie
You should also never use it vs. ice climbers. A grab from them usually means death, so it's by no means a small risk.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yes, and that's one match-up.

But as a point of clarification this will vary in usefulness by the match-up.

Vs Dedede it's great. He is very defensive and relies ALOT on shielding and waiting. Plus his shield is big so it's an easy mark to hit.

Vs IC's I would not suggest doing this.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You should also never use it vs. ice climbers. A grab from them usually means death, so it's by no means a small risk.
Or their grab misses because you actually spaced the shield breaker like you're supposed to.
Unless they have some rediculous grab range that I don't know about.

@Emblem Lord. I'll test how punishable a spaced shieldbreaker is tomorrow. If it turns out that it really is safe on block, I think this will become a major part of Marth's metagame. I mean, a free KO at less than 50% is just too good.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
If you abuse dancing blade beforehand, the DB shieldbreaker combo works perfectly as a mindgame. I've seen it work in a video before and i actually use it myself. Emblem Lord is a witness to my "dancing blade spamming" actually but i don't remember using the technique on him though (online cramps my style with marth a bit). By the by Emblem Lord, are you going to make a thread about the dancing blade ?(if you haven't already of course) I like this move because of its utility and i need to know if tipping the 3rd down slash actually spikes.

meepxzero

Smash Master
nice guide on shield breaker. Yah you pretty much cant spam it u have to do barrage of attacks till there shields small enough to break. Some people u can use it as a mindgame and spam it every now and then then play regularly. Then u condition them to almost try and not shield against u as much.

I like doing short hop fast fall shield breakers. You basically just flick the controller diagonally toward or back (wherever the opponent is) and press b. This is probably the best way to disguise your shield breaker because most people think ur gonna do a short hop fast fall fair. You also forgot bout dtilt to shield breaker or jab to shield breaker lol those are both pretty good uses too =P.

Yah this move is useless online against anyone good it can be seen a good mile -_-. So i dont recommend using it much online unless if its a scrub.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok I just tested it. The true tip of the Shieldbreaker does insane knockback. Pretty much equal to the knockback of fully charged Shieldbreaker in Melee.

It killed Dedede at 51% in the center of FD in practice mode.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I'm thinking it's around the same as his U-smash. Which is moderate in speed. Not slow at all, but not super fast. Fairly quick.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Hmm this is really making me reconsider using this move in my battles. Thanks again for another big change in my play style =D

Now what I'm really curious about is when using an uncharged, tipped shield breaker ends up hitting them because their shield is already small from previous shield breakers, wear and tear, etc. and when that same uncharged, tipped shieldbreaker actually breaks their shield. In other words(I'm sure this will vary by character), does the shieldbreaker always end up breaking the shield before the shield is small enough to actually just hit them while they're shielding? Sorry if my wording is a bit confusing(I'm really tired), but if you understand what I'm getting at, I think it'd be an interesting thing to note.

But final note, just another way to approach with it(credit goes to siqmonkey for "observing it" since it's not exactly an AT). Basically, since so many marth's foxtrot, if you b directly out of a dash/foxtrot, you get a little bit of added momentum. With the long range you pointed out, it becomes even better. If you can perfect the range on this to tipper WITH the slide, of even EXACT tipper with it, it'd make it THAT much better of a technique. Every little bit helps right? =]

Thanks again

Thunder865

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for this reminder. I'm in the process of picking up Marth again (he was my main in Melee) and this tip helped me make the jump from having one life left to two-stocking some of the people I fight. For one thing, this one guy I fight abuses the shield like no tomorrow, because where I am no one but me really grabs. Plus, he plays Link so he can Up+B out of the shield. After getting his shield broken twice today, he's a lot more hesitant about his usual "shield to Up+B", which helps me a lot because he can't block my aerials as easily as he used to. But then he gets hit and comboed by my aerials, so he starts shielding more... then I use more shield breaker. It's as you predicted - a vicious cycle for the opponent ^^;

Also, I've noticed that the shield breaker has the most range of all of Marth's moves, so when someone is rushing at me planning to use a dash attack, I just lunge forward and stab them.

The fact that the move was called Shield Breaker in Melee, but it wasn't good for that, always kinda bothered me. I'm glad to see it's actually useful for it's namesake now. ^^;

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Whether or not the Shieldbreaker actually breaks a shield or just bypasses it and shield tabs just depends on whether or not you actually HIT the shield.

To help with this try to hit the shield when it is diminshed but not a tiny little bubble. You only need to pressure a shield with maybe 3 or 4 tipper attacks before an uncharged Shieldbreaker can break a shield.

This will vary from character to character of course since some shields are far bigger then others.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^^ I also use the shield breaker to stop dash attacks too, it's very useful.

I have noticed that this works (surprisingly) very well, when you get hit off the stage high and close hold the shield breaker for the fully charged attack. You will fly in and stab whoever is trying to edge guard you on the stage. I would expect people to see it coming, but for whatever reason they don't. I wonder what the lag is on the end though, also I am pretty sure it has uber priority.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Yah this move is useless online against anyone good it can be seen a good mile -_-. So i dont recommend using it much online unless if its a scrub.
There are plenty of scrubs online; as a matter of fact, this move gets me every time! :psycho:

... nah.

Didn't know about that "true tipper"... guess that's why I sometimes knock peeps further than expected. That, and I didn't know about the IASA frames. Thanks for the info. Now I'll be less afraid to use it. Muhahahahaha! :chuckle:

Don't know about its priority, though... it seems pretty high, but then again when you use this move you're not too close to the opponent, so it's not like he can attack effectively and in sync with your move... he's gonna dodge, then close in, or he's gonna intervene before your attack is launched.

Did anybody ever see Shieldbreaker being outprioritized, or even interrupted, by another attack? Because I sure didn't, but I can't tell if the reason for this is situational or not.

KingMak

Smash Cadet
This is crazy, I just started using Sheildbreaker a bit more in battles. The only thing I can say about the recovery part is that once you start charging, the player can EASILY recognize where you're going to land, and punish you for it. And if you end up shooting forward under the stage, you better have your extra jump, cause it has a lot of lag afterwards and most of the time you will fall to your death.

xMiMix

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Ontario. I have a really good connection,
Me and a very good friend of mine were playing on Smashville (not that it matters) and he had 2 stocks on me and i had only one left. I brought it down to 1 stock vs 1 stock, with me having 70%. Me being Marth and him being Jigglypuff, I thought I was at a sure loss.
Funny thing, as soon as his invisibility frames were over (from respawning), all I did was just tap b, and I broke his shield completely. I'm not sure as to why it took it out with one hit, but it was awesome, and thus I won.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I need to test how vulnerable smaller characters are to Shieldbreaker.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I need to test how vulnerable smaller characters are to Shieldbreaker.
Isn't the shield supposed to be proportionally more resistant the smaller the character is? That's what I always assumed, but hey, you're right. This stuff needs testing.

Goodnite y'all.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
For the record, I just versed my friend's Lucas about 17 times today. Funny enough, this is how it goes.

So I always drag him to play brawl. We're usually either even, or he beats me more often. This time he said he had work to do so he was only going to play for half an hour....
Little did he know how obsessive he would become about finding a way out.
Honestly, I played more or less how I normally would at first, except I included everything I learned from this thread. I nicked him a few times. But as I got better with the distance/timing, I realized that he believed the moment I used it, no matter how far he was, he could try and punish me with a smash. I proved him very wrong for that after a few mess-ups(like I said, I'm working on the spacing for it! =D). This move is godly for people expecting to get you with a slow attack started early when you're short hopping at them. Just start the shield breaker and DI backwards so you're spaced properly. 90% of the time, you'll end up either canceling their attack by hitting them first, or being too far for their attack to hit you and still end up hitting them with the tip(and of course, tippers are better =]). The other thing I noticed is that after he finally caught on, approaching him in general was MUCH easier! He became predictable because he constantly backed up whenever I short hopped at him, so I literally just double jumped those short hops and nailed him with a fair as he dodged rolled backwards.

After 17 rounds I told him I had to go and he was screaming at me for a rematch >_>

Subtle change
Large effect

Although this is probably an extreme example since I'm still a scrub, and so is my friend, I'm sure it can impact everyone elses game too ^^

Oh and P.S. I managed to break his shield 3 times. Tip, do NOT break their shield when they're on the very edge of the platform. You're ending lag isn't fast enough to hit them while they're in air, and what happened once was that he ended up going into the broken shield animation and then grabbed onto the edge of the stage! While I guess it might have had a psychological effect, to me I just felt that he became more aware of the "hidden strategy" I had and worked harder to get around it. Anyways, just a note that they can grab onto the ledge if they get their shield broken at the edge of a platform.

Thanks again Emblem Lord(I'm honestly and earnestly hyped about this now, lol)

/end schoolgirl giddyness

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Haha.

I wonder if you could edgehug someone who's shield is broken before they grab the ledge. That would just be evil. lmao.

At the highest level I would imagine that a good Marth would only break a shield once per match at the most against an opponent of equal skill. But it only takes one broken shield to etch the fear of dying at an obscenely percent into their minds. After that, they become alot more afraid and alot more cautious.

Although you could probably break more shields if you set-up for it actively and really look for chances to break them. I really wanna see top Marth's breaking shields in finals matches.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Haha.

I wonder if you could edgehug someone who's shield is broken before they grab the ledge. That would just be evil. lmao.

At the highest level I would imagine that a good Marth would only break a shield once per match at the most against an opponent of equal skill. But it only takes one broken shield to etch the fear of dying at an obscenely percent into their minds. After that, they become alot more afraid and alot more cautious.

Although you could probably break more shields if you set-up for it actively and really look for chances to break them. I really wanna see top Marth's breaking shields in finals matches.
The big question on my mind is, when people start using this enough, and we eventually get the random people who use the skill as much as some marth's use fsmash(guilty as charged sometimes xD), how does that affect the way we use it? Right now, the fact is a great deal of the discussion had is in the a world where we can use this as a surprise tactic. But once a move is overused(classic example, fair), how does that affect the way we should bring this in? Obviously, same as fair, people knowing about the technique shouldn't stop us from using it, but it might be advantageous to start planning ahead on how to slowly etch away, or even towards using it once it becomes common knowledge because it happened in some big finals round at a tournament =].

P.S. Your comment about edgeguarding made me realize that would be the flashiest way for a doubles team to finish off their opponent(back them up to a corner of the platform, get one person behind them to make em shield, shield breaker, non-marth edge-hogs, gg. LOL)

Edit:

OK so I was just going over what happened with my friend. This is what actually happened with the shieldbreaker at the edge:
I shieldbreaker.
His shield breaks and he starts DI'ing AWAY from the stage(left in this case)
He lands ON THE STAGE, STANDS UP, AND FALLS ONTO THE EDGE(note his shield was broken so he couldn't have slipped because he had no control by the time he hit the ground, unless his DI affected this)
And ya, he grabbed the edge and was broken from shield-broken status

I'm going to replicate this and play with it. The fact that he landed on the ground and then stood up, and THEN fell gives me the idea that you just MIGHT be onto something Emblem Lord. LOL

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I have been messing with Shieldbreaker all night and something interesting happened.

Apperently when Marth is in the air you can do a reverse nuetral b one of two ways. The first way is just the old school way. You flick the analog behind you then hit b. Simple and nothing really happens. But theere is another method.

Do a SH then press b and quickly flick the analog stick in in the opposite direction almost immediately after you hit the b button.

Marth will be carried in the direction that the analog stick was flicked. He actually moves quite a bit. Not a huge amount of distance, but noticable. Could be good for spacing.

Of course, we haven't even begun to discuss wavebouncing/b-sticking yet.

hehe.

Edit: Marth only moves in the air if the jump was going forwards or backwards. It doesn't work with a stationary jump.

But you can do something cool. Jump back SH then press B and hit forward. Marth will jump back but then lunge forward with his neutral b. Pretty cool.

MINDGAMES SON!!!

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Ok, so I played around with shieldbreaker on the edge of the platform. Good news and bad news

1) Bad news. It turns out the only reason my friend's lucas fell off was because I think I actually pushed him off by running into him. So no, you can't edgeguard them

2) Good news. This makes up for the bad. This gave me a brilliant idea. I tested this. It works as long as they're decently close to the edge. Works at all %'s.
First, shield breaker them and have their shield break while they're decently close to the edge.
Next step, jump DIRECTLY INTO THEM. If you do this right, you should actually push them back an incy bit without knocking them out of the shield broken status(which I'm going to call wtf status because my laptop battery says 0% right now). This will actually make them FALL OF THE EDGE OF THE STAGE. When done at final d, they literally die before the wtf status is broken. AND they don't grab onto the ledge apparently unless they hit the stage after entering wtf status(in other words, the moment someone hits the stage in wtf status, they enter a special kind of wtf status where if they are made airborne in any way(i.e. when I pushed my friend off), they exit wtf status completly and grab hold of the edge of the stage. BUT, just to clarify, if they enter wtf status and haven't touched the ground yet, THEY CAN'T GRAB HOLD OF THE EDGE.

To sum it up:
If you break their shield near the edge of the stage, DI your character DIRECTLY INTO THEM before they hit the ground and you can get a guaranteed K.O. at 0% =]

P.S. I totally didn't call it wtf status because I use the name WTF? as brawl profile xD

Edit: In response to your b-sticking comment: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=159356

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You didn't double post.

Good find. Read what I said as well.

Top Bottom