• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The untapped potential of Shieldbreaker

Kishin

Smash Ace
Whaatt? Doesn't a perfect shield just reduce the push and degeneration? Well, the degeneration is probably from just holding your shield for that half second but I remember shield breaking someone on the ledge and they PS'd it and fell off the ledge.

I suck too much at PS to test this by myself so...

This makes me want to do a montage of shield breaks :( If only I could.

EDIT: Also, this thread needs more pics (preferably one shield breaking Ike). I know EL is gone now but couldn't someone else take over and add some new discoveries with Shield breaker? I heard you could ledge hop and charge Shield Breaker but I have never accomplished it. I use the other method of the side ledge hop -> reverse shield breaker for that.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Lol yesterday I shieldbreaked in a friendly and he was on the ledge and fell to his death. Shieldbreaker is awesome when u condition ur opponents to shield unless they PS it >_>.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Or their grab misses because you actually spaced the shield breaker like you're supposed to.
Unless they have some rediculous grab range that I don't know about.

@Emblem Lord. I'll test how punishable a spaced shieldbreaker is tomorrow. If it turns out that it really is safe on block, I think this will become a major part of Marth's metagame. I mean, a free KO at less than 50% is just too good.
IC can grab a shielded SB. I know......I know all to well.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
You seriously didn't know that?? That is so important... No shield degeneration or push.....
No, i just didn't pay attention to the no shield push aspect of PS'ing. The no shield degeneration thing is a no brainer. It was a thing i didnt know i knew lol. I was trying to say more or less that instinct tells you to "shield" when u see an attack coming until you train yourself to override this command with "PS". Usually i focus more on powershielding things like projectiles since i dont trust the human reaction time: input time ratio.

@Omega:
****, and i thought we wanted our opponent to shield sheidbreaker >.<

Kishin

Smash Ace
Well, they can fall to the ledge though. Maybe if that happened when someone PS'd marth on the ledge, Marth may be quick enough to D-air spike?

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
Well, they can fall to the ledge though. Maybe if that happened when someone PS'd marth on the ledge, Marth may be quick enough to D-air spike?
I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen, since Marth has to deal with the lag of shieldbreaker and when the opponent falls onto the ledge he gets invincibility frames.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen, since Marth has to deal with the lag of shieldbreaker and when the opponent falls onto the ledge he gets invincibility frames.
SB isn't the only move with shield push. Maybe a D-tilt or a jab would be fast enough, but i don't think it would be that useful though. The chance of it happening is minimal.
And you can hit your opponent before they get on the ledge. Example: When DB'ing a shield near the edge, the first few hits will get shielded, but often some of the last hits do hit because your opponent is pushed off the ledge.

WinjaSauce

Smash Rookie
Meh, back to the topic of shieldbreaker, in my last match with a friend i got 2-3 shield breakers in, each resulting in a fully charge Fsmash KO :). Works well on people that like to hold shield a lot.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Shieldbreaker = more knockback, always fresh, easier to tip/super tip

Fsmash = probably more decayed than shieldbreaker depending on playstyle, tipper takes more skill

no contest, after a shieldbreak, shieldbreaker is the way to go

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Go read the Brawl+ Code listing or future codes and codes in the working. Brawl's default shield, which they call "Perfect Perfect Shield" reflects projectiles.

What? We're aiming for that? I'm pretty sure it was decided against. Kupo barely updates that OP. :/

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Shieldbreaker = more knockback, always fresh, easier to tip/super tip

Fsmash = probably more decayed than shieldbreaker depending on playstyle, tipper takes more skill

no contest, after a shieldbreak, shieldbreaker is the way to go
No, shield breaker does not have more knock back than tipper fsmash.

Also even if you miss the first charged fsmash you should have time to do another one.

Villi

Smash Lord
Also even if you miss the first charged fsmash you should have time to do another one.
Is that true even if they're mashing out of shield breaker stun?

If you knock someone off the ledge with say a rising fair, would you be able to dair spike if you followed them off?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If they're on low damage and you shieldbreak them, it's actually better to do a fully charged upsmash.

I think the max damage for it is like 33%, tis be good yah. I say this knowing fully charged shieldbreaker tipper or not won't be killing Snake from the centre of the stage at like 30%; most likely.

Drews0

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry people, I didn't realise this thread was here, and I posted a Q in the quick question thread that would probably be better here...

In short: Ledgedrop->Reverse SB on the head of an MK starting a side-B recovery? = Downward tajectory? (no Wii)

Could someone smart decide where it belongs and delete the other please? :)

Kishin

Smash Ace
not if you're ontop of them...
Well, I remembered trying out a full U-smash after a shield break once and I got as close to possible as them and yet they flew across the other side of the stage with only the 1st hit box hitting (marth's foot?) It seems that the hit box on marth's foot launches them up to the blade and maybe it was SDI that they were able to miss the blade. This is just a random newb blubbering crap out though pretending to know the mechanics of brawl.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
You know, i had tested some little things sometime ago, and i found that out too. At lower % when standing faced to them, an up smash will only make the foot connect. When facing with your back towards your opponent the up smash will hit, both with the feet hitbox, and with the sword. Not sure if it does the same % though.

Top Bottom