• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unofficial Weekly Moveset Discussion Thread!!! This Week: D-Throw and U-Smash

|RK|

Smash Marketer
U-Smash can replace F-Smash as the final hit in the Gonzo String. Works surprisingly well, too.

It has a very small Boost Smash distance, but it's okay. You have to hit with it pretty much perfectly though, otherwise you get punished badly.

D-Throw can combo into U-Smash good enough. But U-Tilt is safer and better, especially in a place where they can be locked for a bit, like DK on Luigi's Mansion or something.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Oh yea, i forgot, d-throw 2 u-tilts to a u-smash is a great 40%-ish combo that hit most/all mid-heavy chars.. I gotta try that Gonzo string w/ u-smash...

|RK|

Smash Marketer
You know what is one of the best things for the Gonzo String? Bowser's Neutral B. Too sexy. They can try to escape by jumping, but you can just angle it up, etc. Possibly even still get off the 50%. Or higher.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Don't forget you can jump cancel into a reverse U-smash during a dash. I do this because it looks cool, but it does have some mind-gamey properties. For instance, if your opponent is above you, they might try to avoid an expected F-smash by moving behind Kirby, but they end up dropping into a sweet spotted reversed U-smash because you flip it around. You can also use it to mix up the timing of when it hits - e.g. if you dash at someone and reverse a U-smash and they side step the back end of the U-smash will fall on top of their head instead of having the front part dodged. Yes, this is a much weaker hit, but any hit is better than having a U-smash completely dodged. This technique has better results when used when the opponent has his back to the ledge because if they try to roll to your other side, they're just rolling into the initial hitbox of the U-smash, and if they Shield instead of dodge they get pushed off the side.

Oh yeah, another use is the awesome dashing U-smash cancel to B-air combo.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Hmm that sounds a bit foggy to me, i cant really grasp that in my head lol...is there a video of that action i can watch to get the idea?

sushi-F13ND

Smash Cadet
Same, I'm gonna need a video because that reverse U-Smash sounds too sexy to let down.

As mentioned earlier, D-Throw can lead into some pretty sick combos and its great for racking up damage when you most need it (especially since it can combo into itself on heavy characters).

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Sad to bump an old thread, but we need to update for more Kirby knowledge, I didn't want to make another one of this thread the reason I bumped it.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
I didn't know about reverse up-smash either! That sounds awesome! Upsmash is underated imo. Alot of Kirbys just love their F-smash..and with good reason. But the Up-smash sacrifices little knockback for the slight fewer frames compared to F-smash, especialyl if you sweetspot it. It's definitly a nice alternative if your F-smash is decayed.

And every Kirby should know of the amazing D-smash...like f-throw it can lead to combos with u-tilt.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
I've gotten countless kills with a surprise Usmash, especially when my opponent is right above me. They either try to attack me or air dodge, either leading into a star K.O.

Dthrow is Kirby's best throw IMO. It can combo into itself, it can lead into some pretty sick combos, it's great for racking up damage, and-on more rare occasions can even lead to death. (If you manage a successful Dthrow->Reverse hammer.)
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
My favorite is when you down throw and your opponent tries to D-air you...you can just shield grab into another d-throw ^_^

TreK

Is "that guy"
I'm still learning kirby ; and I seem to use moves you guys avoid lol (I spam usmash at high % so they forget I have a fsmash, I overuse ftilt whenever possible because it has great range even if it doesn't combo, ...)

One move I can't get accostumed to is jab, any hint ?

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I've been busy with Magic tourneys and Brawloween... people want this updated? I can if they want, but they will have to wait until the weekend.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Well everyone, its been a long time since I've done this, so hopefully I'm not too out of practice! Without further ado, here is the discussion for the next few weeks (I'm gonna move this to every two weeks due to time constraints on my part).

U-air

Ah, the u-air. The move comes out on frame ten, hits directly above Kirby and ends slightly behind him in an arcing fashion. The move is versatile despite how slow it comes out due to some very interesting properties. First and foremost is the ever present, always useful and always used string of f-throw -> u-tilt. This little combo deals out a good chunk of damage (18%) against a good portion of the cast with the chance to follow up at lower percents. Although solid, the ability putters out after the opponent gets a few % on them. This is where the other properties of u-air can come into play. It's somewhat low knock-back at mid percents allow for juggling against characters that have no quick response to attacks from below (a weakness that a good portion of the cast has), and at the higher percents can even act as a surprise finisher off the top (though granted, the opponent's percent has to be substantially high and Kirby needs to be close to the top). The ending hit behind Kirby is what makes this move really unique though. The move has no ending lag if done right, and the ending hit behind Kirby can lead to follow ups. Though not the best move in Kirby's arsenal, its a solid move that should still be used frequently throughout the course of a match.

D-throw

Though usually in the shadow of the f-throw in the eyes of an opponent, the d-throw should always be on the mind of any Kirby player worth their salt. The move does a solid chunk of damage on its own, but that isn't the best part. The move also pops the enemy directly above Kirby, allowing for a number of powerful follow-ups. At lower percentages, the move can lead to u-tilts and on the rare occasion, it can lead to another grab right out of itself! At mid percentages, the move takes on a mind-game type of function. Very few characters have anything beyond a second mid-air jump, and Kirby can take full advantage of this. If Kirby can stay close to directly below an opponent after they are popped into the air, he can shield-grab any attempts to land, resulting in a d-throw chain! Though the tactic isn't fool-proof, it can lead to an even larger percentage advantage than a simple f-throw -> u-air combo and should always be taken into consideration, especially if the opponent isn't familiar with it.

I hope that's a good start! Feel free to add whatever you would like! I'll leave the floor open for a bit, and try to catch up with the summaries a bit later.

Now...

ON TO DISCUSSION!!!

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Dthrow is Kirby's best throw. Feet down. Fthrow doesn't compete (18% if you grab them at 0%...yay).

The dthrow. It does 12% damage when fresh. If you predict your opponent, you can shieldgrab, regular grab, pivot grab, chase and grab, dash->reverse fsmash, dash->reverse hammer and more (the dashes can't leave the initial dash, though). A dthrow allows for utilt strings on spacies at low %'s. Even if you get a utilt or even no follow-up out of it, you just refreshed 3-6 moves depending on your opponent's percent (the dthrow, the utilt, and a number of pummels). This refreshing of your moves combine with the extra damage (15-20) brings your opponent so much closer to a KO!

If you read an opponent and know they will attack, shield and regrab. Also works if they airdodge. Or if they're in KO %'s, get a very flashy and impressive dthrow->dash->reverse hammer KO.

This is just an awesome move. It's probably second best on Kirby's move tier list...right after bair.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
☠
Alion pretty much got most of the Dthrow.

As for Uair, I use this a lot in my matches. If someone is chasing you, you can run and SH Uair. If timed right, you hit them with the last frames of the Uair as they're running towards you and follow up with a Utilt. A lot of people don't know about those last frames. I also use Uair as a feint attack. If someone is recovering above me, I use Uair and then fastfall. This either makes them airdodge -allowing me to punish on the ground- or get hit -in which case I jump and try to follow it up with something.

Thrilla got the rest.
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

Top Bottom