• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unofficial Weekly Moveset Discussion Thread!!! This Week: D-Throw and U-Smash

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Uthrow: You knew I'd say it...NINJA SPIKE! If your opponent doesn't know about it, automatic stock lead (they're like "alright, he'll follow up with-ZOMGWTFBBQ?!"). NOT good vs IC's, unless you land on a platform above them: you can get attacked out of uthrow on the way down.

Bair: Bair.is.everything. Bair kills, bair racks up damage, bair combos, and bair cancels out almost every projectile in the game (and if it doesn't cancel it, it probably catches it). Only projectile that could be a problem is Fox's blaster because he can fire it so often and the projectile-canceling window isn't all that large.

More stuff later (maybe).

T-nuts

Smash Ace
NOT good vs IC's, unless you land on a platform above them: you can get attacked out of uthrow on the way down.
yeah, its true they can attack you on the way down. but which of kirby's throws is quick enough to not get attacked?

but i agree that bair is everything against most chars.

also i would like to give a **** yeah to falcons thoughts about bair. but i dont know how to multiquote *is embarrassed/is a noob*

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meh, grab pummels wouldn't make a weekly discussion anyway:

-Utilize their IASA frames for slight damage and mostly to refresh Bair and Dthrow.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I should also note that for negating spam you can just stand there and spam f tilt til you have big f tilt blue balls.

Keep that bair **** fresh son.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Sorry for how late this is, I've been preoccupied writing essays and such elsewhere on the boards as of late. Time for my two cents.

Uthrow:

This is the throw with the most kill potential, but it doesn't see much killing due to how high the opponent's percentage has to be to pull it off. That said, it works really well as a surprise kill move on stages with high platforms, such as Pirate Ship and Battlefield. Its nice for these situations because it is likely to be fresh when you use it. It also has some protection from attack on the way up, so its nice if you are in a pickle, especially in doubles. Speaking of doubles, it can also be used for this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpF88hqgdwg

Win.

Bair:

If Kirby has a spammable move in his arsenal, this is it. It is slightly over one Kirby in range, it stays out for a decent amount of time, and has very little ending lag. It can be used to gimp, kill, space, WoP, momentum cancel, you name it. I really don't know what else to say. If I tried to give all the specifics on this move, I'd be here all night! :laugh:

Alright, so the discussion has been really lax recently, but I get the feeling this is from the thread's "new" effect wearing off. I also haven't been posting here as much, so I apologize for that. I'm going to give this thread a bit more attention in the future. As for this week's new moves, post if you really want to go over something, I'm a bit undecided for this week. I'll also move the start time to tomorrow to compensate.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Forgot 2 things on the uthrow:

1. ZOMG OMNIGAY.

2. ZOMG OMNIGAY WITH SNAKE STRAPPING C4 ONTO YOU AND BLOWING IT UP WHILE YOU'RE STILL INVINCIBLE.

...Yea. Unfortunately, a snake is more likely to partner with an mk because both characters are secretly in love mk>kirby.

Allied

Smash Master
Dair is amazing its racks and also is a small baby spike?
I use dair in the air to bring my enemy down to the ground for an easy hitstun timed Grab or Ftilt even on some characters Forward Smash

<3dair

Now for Ftilt
idk i can't say much on this
i do use it alot tho

A1lion835

Smash Champion
It's a shame when you don't see people using ftilt:(. It's an awesome poking tool and can be chained into itself once or twice at lower percents. Dash->shield->ftilt gives you a reasonable slide, so you can use it to approach and it gives you a bit more range than someone would expect (plus mix it up with Dash->shiled->hammer for ultimate mindgames).

Dair...has lots of startup lag, dair->footstool is ****, yea...footstool->dair->footstool is guaranteed (I think) on most(/all) of the cast.

thrilla, why didn't you add both the omnigays to the uthrow post? :mad:

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Down Tilt to Forward Tilt works for me. Forward Tilt is very underrated because not a lot of Kirby's I've seen use this move very often. Down Air is also underrated, but I'll say that Forward Tilt is still better because of the start up is very fast and is less punishable than Down Air. Down Air however can lead to better combo's like Down Air to Forward Smash or Tilt, or Down Air to grab works fine, just that you have to hit the character that's doesn't shiled by the time you land your hit. ♥

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I use f tilt to poke far too often when I cant aerial camp. I've poked Marh's with it so many times it's scary.

Ah Dair, really nice range, but I dun use it much. Cant really say much about it because people never get under me. =/

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
about these two moves... you can actually use them in succession haha at low damage i can connected dair to ftilt

both these moves are too good

obvious dair, even when people block or dodge it, is still way too good

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Dair OOS is one of the best ways to punish a MK downsmash. Cause you know they are gonna do it again lols. So just Dair them from above to avoid the dsmash and punish at the same time. Win.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
OK, I fail. I said I would keep up on this thread and I haven't. Sorry about that. :(

I'm going to give this week's moves until Wednesday before the next update. I'm going with t1MmY and t0MmY up to Washington for a tourney for the weekend and will be busy with school-work the moment I get back, so I don't have time for the usual weekend update. I will get it done, though. Promise!

A1lion835

Smash Champion
OK, I fail. I said I would keep up on this thread and I haven't. Sorry about that. :(

I'm going to give this week's moves until Wednesday before the next update. I'm going with t1MmY and t0MmY up to Washington for a tourney for the weekend and will be busy with school-work the moment I get back, so I don't have time for the usual weekend update. I will get it done, though. Promise!
Can you send me some of the Pizza Research Institute pizza? :D

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Can you send me some of the Pizza Research Institute pizza? :D

I don't think it would still be good by the time it reached you... That and I don't know if we are stopping there. t1MmY didn't mention anything about it. By the way, what does PRI have to do with dair or f-tilt, eh? :p

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
I know we have been done w/ the Hammer and Stone for a while now, but i wanted to clarify something about it that i heard while going thru this thread.

I think it was Asdioh that said when u use the aerial Hammer or the Stone, next time u land, u'll have "phantom lag", as he said.
There is this lag during which Kirby can't do anything, but i found (i dont know if this is new or not) that if u jump again and peform any aerial attack (bari/nair/fair/dair etc), u will receive the lag of that move instaed of the hammer/stone, which if u do it smartly, there isnt any lag.

So if ur doing an aerial hammer/stone, jump afterwards and do any aerial, and ur "phantom lag" is gone. Should help a little.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
On to the New Week!

D-throw:

If bair is our all purpose aerial, d-throw is our all purpose throw. It does around 11% damage undiminished, and can be linked into u-tilt, dair, and even itself if you are tricky about it. :)

U-smash:

Though f-smash is our most powerful kill move, u-smash can leave quite the impression as well, especially if the opponent is expecting an f-smash and DI's right up towards the blast zone they should be trying to avoid. It kills at decent percents (115% ish) and works wonders against characters that have good recovery. It's best if used sparingly, though. The move is extremely punishable, and has no easy lead-ins.

ON TO DISCUSSION!!!!

@wafflez: Yeah, it was already mentioned earlier in this thread, but it never hurts to re-list something. :)

@t1mmy: Crud. You said it before I could. :laugh:

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Dthrow-I'm not sure if it's inescapable, but can lead into itself on spacies at low %'s, or utilt, which lets you be a kirby ***** and then maybe end with an fsmash for 50%. Use it on chars like shiek, mk and marth where fthrow->uair isn't guaranteed. Many people will also either airdodge or attack you after the dthrow, allowing you to grab and dthrow again:).

Upsmash-Most people don't use this much, I don't really know what to say...

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Up smash is Sex.

A smash that can be done while running and out of shield = too good. It's good for killing G@Ws that spam turtle and don't expect it.

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
i know we are done with Dair but i didn't see this mentioned. If spaced right, The final hit of Dair when landing on the ground (the splash hit) combos into Bair.

Usmash, i don't use this too much. I do it out of a run sometimes if my opponent doesn't expect it, thats about it.

link64e

Smash Apprentice
Upsmash is a good surprise killer. Not too many characters use it, (Excluding Snake and Shiek), to finish the fight. It's great when people are just above the ground so that FSmash doesn't connect, you can clip them with your toes.

DThrow is great for racking up Damage. Its perfect for when opponents are just out of Smash range, it can quickly get them to that 100%. It also sets up a bair are when the opponent flies backwards.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Up Smash has a good hit box, and can push people away unless their good with Perfect shielding. It's great to use when your dashing or just came out of an air move. ♥

♣ Down Throw is also good, just that you can't often use it on characters with fast Basic Air or Down Air. ♥

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I disagree Lovely. Dthrow works BETTER against characters who have fast aerials, because they therefore try to hit you with them, meaning you can shieldgrab and Dthrow again, or Fthrow.
Best thing is, at 0%, if you Dthrow>Utilt, your Utilt comes out before just about every aerial that could possibly beat it. Now if you Utilt just once, odds are they'll try to hit you with the aerial again (since now it'll have time to come out.), so shield, then regrab. Here you can either repeat the process, or attempt Fthrow>Hammer (which usually works at precisely that percent (Being 18%. It generally works around 20% though.).).

Usmash is severely underrated I think. It's a good Hyphen smash, a powerful killer, and has a lasting circular hitbox. It can be useful for punishing spotdodges, airdodges, and landings, as well as just being a good surprise kill move. Also, it has more vertical range than Utilt, and although it doesn't look like it, can hit people standing on the lower BF platforms.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
D-throw is prolly the best throw Kirby's got from about 60% onward to about 150% where u-throw becomes supreme (with f-throw being the best from 0-60%). It racks up damage quick, and it leads into endless aerial assaults and combos, not to mention tech chasing for those who dont jump afterwards.

U-smash is, as fromundaman said, very underrated. Not only is it decently strong, but it has some weak hitboxes BEHIND Kirby that can sometimes get u out of a pickle once or twice. Of course u-tilt is better for getting ppl off ur ***, but hey, its an alternative. Also, u-smash is very good when there's a big gap u have to cover to punish someone who made a laggy mistake, but not enuff time to run and grab, etc. Hyphen smash to get that easy 15%, or possibly the kill.

Top Bottom