• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unofficial Offical MLG Ruleset Discussion

Kole

Smash Lord
They better allow Wiichucks eventually lol

Or else Razer and Tearbear (and others) are screwed

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
So does anyone from MLG actually play this game competively ? Or do they just sponsor the tourney and website? Also I would like to know how/why they decide on these rules stages and I don't understand the no wii motes ban.

LoL tear bear has been raging on AiB because of this.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I really dislike how people feel about an open stage list, having different stages is part of Brawl and knowing how to play them is another competative aspect. However some stages like Green Greens and Wiigii's (which Green Green's is on the only one on there) is kind of iffy, but the rest of the stages are quite nice, especially Pictochat. You also should remember that it's a CP and not a neutral, of course it's meant to give a character an advantage. (If neutral's didn't already give an advantage to a lot of the characters already).

B!squick

Smash Master
I don't want to scroll through several pages to see if this has been said or not, but seeing as people keep posting about it.

Team attack IS on.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
if people have a problem with a stage they should go to the stage legality discussion thread where overswarm will destroy you in an argument as to why the stage should remain neutral

Notra

Smash Ace
People say FD is very unfair technically but most people forget about how ppl like lvls simply cause they feel at home on them. FD is in a way every smashers home stage. Thats probably why its still a neutral. Everyone is comfortable on that stage. If they arent, then theyve probably nvr played smash just for fun.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
My most comfortable levels are:

1. Yoshi's story with marth
2. Mute City with Peach

3. Battlefield with Brawl Marth.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The only disastious thing about this rule set that has no up sides is Norfair. Now you have no reason not to pick Metaknight. PLANKPLANKPLANKPLANKPLANK

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Interesting list. I think they should count D3's standing infinite as illegal in general for the sake of Green Greens.

Oh. It's not official....

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
No use of Marth’s Grab Release Infinites against Lucas and Ness.
No use of King Dedede’s Grab Infinites against Bowser, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Samus, and Mario.

I don't agree with all the rules, but I think these even the playing field

iRJi

Smash Champion
For the people who are still complaining about the infinites, its so that every character has a fair chance of fighting back. its not banned frim ic's because its their character design. stop complaining about it lol.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
i say we ban shields against ganon and falcon so that they have a fair chance.

besides, that will put on a wonderful show.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
so if I do DK's infinite on ness and lucas will I get in trouble?

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I'd go out on a limb and say they either don't know about that infinate or that is the worst contradiction in a ruleset i've ever seen, i would say yes they would get mad at you, if someone called over a judge.

BTW only real problem i have is that Delfino and PS1 are starters. Halberd i think is perfectly fine, considering a good player can always SDI out of the laser, and Castle Siege only has a walk off for like a minute. In which case most ppl will probably strike the stage anyways.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
This guy has my vote for president of competitive smash
Sometimes, I ask myself why I haven't been invited to the bbr yet /sarcasm

As long as you end said infinite before 300%, I'd say you have yourself a legal maneuver pal.

Smash Master
Exactly. It isn't fair to just say **** you to Ganon against Sheik by allowing her to needle and then whip out the chain for the rest of the match, while simultaneously catering to DK and saying "aww poor monkey. You have a bad matchup. Let me make it all better."

Judo777

Smash Master
Exactly. It isn't fair to just say **** you to Ganon against Sheik by allowing her to needle and then whip out the chain for the rest of the match, while simultaneously catering to DK and saying "aww poor monkey. You have a bad matchup. Let me make it all better."
The only difference is that Dk D3 matchup is only stupidly bad because of the standing infinite which really is dumb. Mostly because if i cant beat a great DK player i can spend 10 minutes learning the infinite and now i can beat great DK players! The sheik ganon matchup is bad because everything about sheiks ***** ganondorf. You would have to take out almost all of sheiks moves to make that matchup fair. Instead of removing 1 stupid infinite. Btw i think all standing infinites shouldnt be allowed except for character like Ic's and bowser cause thats a special advantage they have. I guess i should say the only infinites that should be legal are the ones that are based on said characters special strength and not the cged characters specific weakness. If that makes any sense. So Bowser has an advantage of breaking out of grab pummels faster than everyone let him have it. IC's can chaingrab everyone so let him have it.

I think maybe a safe rule should be u can only do standing infinites if ur infinite works on 90% of the cast. that prevents stupid exceptions like DK breaking out of bowsers ininites. Idk im just trying to think outside the box.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Pictochat & Pokémon Stadium 2

srsly.... #KYS or pay attention to the ACTUAL SMASH SCENE THNX :bee:

But w/e O'm grateful 4 the fact that we have the MLG tourney anyways... Great job but U guys will learn sooner. Everything else is fine tho...

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
yeah honestly i'm very surprised how few people have complained about pokemon stadium 2. Each one of it's transformations is gay!

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
PS2 rock transformation is perfectly fine.

Also, I agree that they need to ban the other random infinites or none at all.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I laugh at people who want PS2 banned just cause "everyone" has to fight the stage. I personally love that stage and know how to work around it and abuse it against others. :\ the stage doesn't even do anything to kill you, just some wacky environmental change that I think is bearable.

But not everyone is me...

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I laugh at people who want PS2 banned just cause "everyone" has to fight the stage. I personally love that stage and know how to work around it and abuse it against others. :\ the stage doesn't even do anything to kill you, just some wacky environmental change that I think is bearable.

But not everyone is me...
I think what it boils down to is people dislike stages that effect their characters movement as this stage does. It really has no reason being legal. If this tournament is supposed to show the highest level of game play then having whacky stages like this legal is a direct contradiction to that. Name me one other fighting game where a stage can change the physics of your character. It moves away from skill. That's why NY/NJ has such a consverative stage list. There's no reason for a stage take effect the state of game play.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Name me one other fighting game where a stage can change the physics of your character.
Name me one other competitively played non-Smash fighting game where the stage selection actually makes a difference.

(this should be an easy one)

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I think what it boils down to is people dislike stages that effect their characters movement as this stage does. It really has no reason being legal. If this tournament is supposed to show the highest level of game play then having whacky stages like this legal is a direct contradiction to that. Name me one other fighting game where a stage can change the physics of your character. It moves away from skill. That's why NY/NJ has such a consverative stage list. There's no reason for a stage take effect the state of game play.
Knowing the stage is part of being a good smasher. All the stages affect the outcome of the game and there is no universally neutral stage.

Judo777

Smash Master
Name me one other competitively played non-Smash fighting game where the stage selection actually makes a difference.

(this should be an easy one)
^^ this. Smash bros is the fighting game where the terrain matters thats really one of the only distinguishing qualities from any other fighting game. Also there is nothing wrong with PS2 just learn it also its a good stage to have cause it is a decent cp against characters who are heavily reliant on ground control aka Snake, Olimar and maybe even Diddy. Its very easy to get around each of the terrain changes. Infact i think its alot better than RC.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Knowing the stage is part of being a good smasher. All the stages affect the outcome of the game and there is no universally neutral stage.
Na, there isn't any ice that makes characters slide across the bottom or a tread mill or wind that makes character even more floaty. Example to me how Final D impacts the game of play in the same manner as those changes. Ready set go !

^^ this. Smash bros is the fighting game where the terrain matters thats really one of the only distinguishing qualities from any other fighting game. Also there is nothing wrong with PS2 just learn it also its a good stage to have cause it is a decent cp against characters who are heavily reliant on ground control aka Snake, Olimar and maybe even Diddy. Its very easy to get around each of the terrain changes. Infact i think its alot better than RC.
I've stated plenty of reason as to why ps2 is a joke. There is no oh learn the stage andr you'll get better at it. WIth out know how each stage transformation effects each character everything you're saying is a just being said on a whim. I'd rather go RC with my Zelda then play on ps2 period.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Na, there isn't any ice that makes characters slide across the bottom or a tread mill or wind that makes character even more floaty. Example to me how Final D impacts the game of play in the same manner as those changes. Ready set go !
If Final Destination is the limit to how much you want a stage to affect the gameplay of a match, then we'd have fewer legal stages than Melee. And that's saying something.

Also, my question did have an easy answer. The fact that you didn't answer it just tells me you don't actually know **** about "other fighters" and are just ad-libbing your region's general opinions.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
If Final Destination is the limit to how much you want a stage to affect the gameplay of a match, then we'd have fewer legal stages than Melee. And that's saying something.

Also, my question did have an easy answer. The fact that you didn't answer it just tells me you don't actually know **** about "other fighters" and are just ad-libbing your region's general opinions.
The only fighters that come to mind for me would be eithe DoA or Soul Caliber.

However, Final D isn't the limit of how much I want a stage to affect the game play. If you feel as though I'm just spit out my regions opinion then I guess that's how you should feel. However, bear in my that I am from the best region what's wrong with falling in line with our way of thinking ?

Top Bottom