• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unofficial Offical MLG Ruleset Discussion

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Honestly, we had most of these stages and more legal in texas for over a year and I never really saw anything really stupid happen on them in tournament matches.

Greens Greens will be very interesting because of how many characters are amazing on that stage.

I suggest everyone playing a ton on these stages to learn them, you might realize they really aren't that bad though certainly questionable. I wouldn't worry about any major upsets happening because of the stage list.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Man there wasn't much I didn't like about the original ruleset.
**** TA needs to be on.
People should be able to use their wiimotes
& there shouldn't be two characters on the same team imo
The levels were legit it's not like someone wouldnt just strike all the odd 1's in the first place

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
To people saying that PS2's wind, ice and electric transformations effects can be easily dealt with if learned, then would you consider a stage that constantly had the effects of one of those transformations or even all together as legal?

kr3wman

Smash Master
Considering half of the time you've got something else to worry about in Pictochat, that is relatively small.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Sandwhale please tell me how PS2's transformations are any more disruptive than PS1 lol

PS1 if you try to approach/attack on any portion of the transformations, most of the time you're at a disadvantage unless you're playing doubles

Judo777

Smash Master
To people saying that PS2's wind, ice and electric transformations effects can be easily dealt with if learned, then would you consider a stage that constantly had the effects of one of those transformations or even all together as legal?
Are you asking would the stage be legal if it was just air phase or ice phase or something? IF so then ofc not. However would there a stage be legal if it was the part of RC where u are falling to the ship the entire time or rather a stage where u are just falling the whole game. What about a stage where you are just on the pendulum section of RC with no ledges? would that stage be legal? Ofc not but the stage is legal because the stage as a whole is manageable (although i freaking hate that stage lol).

NNID
Budget_Player
Sandwhale please tell me how PS2's transformations are any more disruptive than PS1 lol

PS1 if you try to approach/attack on any portion of the transformations, most of the time you're at a disadvantage unless you're playing doubles
I actually agree. PS2 > PS1.

Considering half of the time you've got something else to worry about in Pictochat, that is relatively small.
This is pretty much like saying "Ban Halberd; you may have to worry about something else while dodging the massive bomb hitbox". >.<

clowsui

Smash Legend
I think they're equal, actually...I don't LIKE playing on PS2 but I just don't see why it deserves to be banned >__>

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman

Dude i've already answered you i even quoted your post but you didn't anwser back. Here it is.

PS1 transformations can at worst stall the game for a moment, PS2 transformations directly affect your character's movement.
Are you asking would the stage be legal if it was just air phase or ice phase or something? IF so then ofc not. However would there a stage be legal if it was the part of RC where u are falling to the ship the entire time or rather a stage where u are just falling the whole game. What about a stage where you are just on the pendulum section of RC with no ledges? would that stage be legal? Ofc not but the stage is legal because the stage as a whole is manageable (although i freaking hate that stage lol).
Your RC example doesn't work because it only lasts 2 seconds. And what I'm saying is if you consider wind, ice and moving ground as playable and competitive then there should be no problem playing all the match with these conditions which you admit you wouldn't thus you consider these effects as unplayable.

clowsui

Smash Legend
not moving always gives your more options than moving unless you're walking, in which case you preserve the same amount of options it just gives you mobile spacing

therefore the solution is...don't move or walk

the transformations can be used to your advantage, that's part of the whole strategy thing

people with larger hitbox moves or moves that are normally unsafe are granted an advantage on ps2 because they can attack then move away safely in regards to the electric + ice parts. for the wind part, if your character isn't good there then don't jump. when MK + other multi-jump characters jump on that part they're elevated above you to the point where they have to wait till they land and not jump again in order to fight you. if they use it to "stall" then it's just as momentary as ps1 lmao

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
sandwhale, if we only played on the delfino section where there's a walkoff, it most certainly would not be legal. having a temporary disruption is much less disruptive than having that same disruption permanently.
But the delfino walkoff doesn't last long enough to change the game. In an average match on PS2 you have 1:30-2minutes of banworthy stage. That's a lot!

EDIT- @Closwui: If not moving gives you a huge advantage in the game nobody would move.(not sure i fully understood what you said). And the advantages that certain transformations can give to certain characters are to drastic.

T-block

B2B TST
Guys it's essential to establish ban criteria for a stage before we talk about stuff like this.

We ban stages because they offer unfair advantages to very few characters, encourage degenerate strategies (tied to the first one), or are too random to yield consistent results.

In that sense, some of the transformations would likely not be legal if they were a stage in themselves. Flying transformation may be unfair for GaW with his u-air to stall. Ground transformation would give a permanent wall to D3.

However, note that the transformations would be banned because they offer unfair advantages, NOT because they are unplayable, or because they change the physics. In that sense, the fact that they are temporary changes them from being bannable qualities to being CP qualities. Delfino has walkoffs and walls; PS1 has walls; Hell, even Halberd has a walkoff - but we allow these to be legal because they are temporary, and we expect the person who could be victimized by these features to simply deal with it when they ate present. It's the same for PS2.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
But the delfino walkoff doesn't last long enough to change the game. In an average match on PS2 you have 1:30-2minutes of banworthy stage. That's a lot!
I'm fairly sure that every transformation at Delfino has water, walls, walkoffs, or any combination of those three. Any single one of those permanently would almost certainly be banned.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
I recall PS2's normal stage lasting 50s and it's transformations 30s which i repeat is more than just a brief appearance through the game.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
I'm fairly sure that every transformation at Delfino has water, walls, walkoffs, or any combination of those three. Any single one of those permanently would almost certainly be banned.
Yes Delfino definitely has a lot of gayness and i honestly don't understand why some people consider it a starter but PS2's randomness seems much more game changing.

mustard g&w

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4639-9942-4908
The only way I could see PS2 as a counterpick is if it was hacked to where it was the normal stage at all times

T-block

B2B TST
I recall PS2's normal stage lasting 50s and it's transformations 30s which i repeat is more than just a brief appearance through the game.
Yeah it's about one minute of normal stage and 30 seconds of transformation. It's a significant portion, but what matters is that it's temporary. Even if it were a 50:50 ratio, the fact that it doesn't last makes stalling the transformation out a viable option that would not be available if it were permanent.

Yes Delfino definitely has a lot of gayness and i honestly don't understand why some people consider it a starter but PS2's randomness seems much more game changing.
The only thing random about PS2 is which transformations get selected. Inside each individual transformation, there is zero randomness due to the stage. Things aren't as game changing as most people think they are - it only takes a little bit of adjustment to your playstyle. Maybe you should play on the stage more?

Pictochat is a good stage and should be a neutral.
hi5 ^_^

The only way I could see PS2 as a counterpick is if it was hacked to where it was the normal stage at all times
I would hope that would be a starter ._. But seriously... take some time to learn the transformations. You can use them - you don't always have to fight them.

NNID
Budget_Player
[3/26/10 5:17:08 PM] Budget Player Cadet: Final Destination is a terrible starter
[3/26/10 5:17:09 PM] Budget Player Cadet: discuss
[3/26/10 5:17:46 PM] Linkshot: GET THESE MOTHER****ING SNAKES OFF THIS MOTHER****ING FLAT PLANE
[3/26/10 5:18:05 PM] Budget Player Cadet: orly
[3/26/10 5:18:14 PM] Linkshot: Final Destination should be counterpick but Melee***s are clinging to it like their last rations.
[3/26/10 5:18:24 PM] Xyless: I agree, LS
[3/26/10 5:18:30 PM] Budget Player Cadet: it is such a terrible ****ing starter
[3/26/10 5:18:34 PM] Budget Player Cadet: so polarizing
[3/26/10 5:18:41 PM] Th3 Master Composer: Final Destination is a terrible starter when there are only 5
[3/26/10 5:18:50 PM] Budget Player Cadet: because against half of top tier
[3/26/10 5:18:53 PM] Budget Player Cadet: you HAVE to strike it
[3/26/10 5:18:54 PM] Linkshot: Everything is a terrible starter when there are only 5.
[3/26/10 5:18:57 PM] Xyless: yep
[3/26/10 5:19:04 PM] Xyless: not so LS
[3/26/10 5:19:14 PM] Th3 Master Composer: FD is a good starter when there are 7 and a better starter when there are 9. :D
[3/26/10 5:19:22 PM] Budget Player Cadet: no
[3/26/10 5:19:25 PM] Budget Player Cadet: it's still a bad starter
[3/26/10 5:19:28 PM] Xyless: I wish all tourneys would switch to 9 starter
[3/26/10 5:19:34 PM] Linkshot: And everything is a better starter when you strike from all 41 :V
[3/26/10 5:19:35 PM] Budget Player Cadet: Falco's best stage
[3/26/10 5:19:41 PM] Budget Player Cadet: IC's best stage
[3/26/10 5:19:51 PM] Budget Player Cadet: (excluding ones that are banned for obvious reasons)
[3/26/10 5:19:51 PM] Xyless: Dedede's best stage
[3/26/10 5:19:55 PM] Xyless: (without walls)
[3/26/10 5:19:57 PM] Budget Player Cadet: nah DDD has better
[3/26/10 5:20:03 PM] Budget Player Cadet: but definitely a great stage for DDD
[3/26/10 5:20:07 PM] Budget Player Cadet: good for snake
[3/26/10 5:20:14 PM] Budget Player Cadet: incredible for diddy...
[3/26/10 5:20:14 PM] Xyless: It's ok for Snake
[3/26/10 5:20:18 PM] Budget Player Cadet: stupid stage

TL;DR: Final Destination is just a bad starter. Period. If you will regularly use your stage ban on it, it's probably not a good starter.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's about one minute of normal stage and 30 seconds of transformation. It's a significant portion, but what matters is that it's temporary. Even if it were a 50:50 ratio, the fact that it doesn't last makes stalling the transformation out a viable option that would not be available if it were permanent.

The only thing random about PS2 is which transformations get selected. Inside each individual transformation, there is zero randomness due to the stage. Things aren't as game changing as most people think they are - it only takes a little bit of adjustment to your playstyle. Maybe you should play on the stage more?
-With that logic if 95% of the match is unplayable it doesn't matter cause you can just stall and play for the 5% left. I mean seriously do we need a stage where 40% of the match will be stalling?

-I'm still pretty sure there's alot of randomness but I'll admit I haven't played enough on that stage. As soon as I can use my wii I'll start testing all the stages that I think should be banned. Also I think that cerain characters will benefit too much from it.

T-block

B2B TST
If our definition of a starter is a stage that is not polarizing, then there's nothing to argue.

The problem is people have silly, arbitrary definitions of what a starter is. If you're gonna argue, argue the definition of a starter, because nobody will disagree what FD is polarizing.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
People need to realize that it's not so much that FD is good for those characters, but that those characters are so good that they can take advantage of many different types of stage traits.

There's also this really bizarre, and totally inaccurate, belief that non-FD starters are somehow progressively worse for characters like Falco, Diddy, ICs, etc the more platforms you get. I'm not sure where people get the idea that platforms make it any easier to approach any of those characters; Hell, you put yourself directly above them! That's essentially the worst position to be in no matter what matchup you're playing.

NNID
Budget_Player
If our definition of a starter is a stage that is not polarizing, then there's nothing to argue.

The problem is people have silly, arbitrary definitions of what a starter is. If you're gonna argue, argue the definition of a starter, because nobody will disagree what FD is polarizing.
IMO, a starter should be (in addition to CP criteria):
-Not too disruptive (calling it quits around what Halberd or CS does)
-Not overly polarizing (A good example of a polarizing stage would be RC. Almost the most important factor there is how good you are in the air-if you have a poor air game, you're **** out of luck)
-Does not give a huge advantage to too many characters (This is part of why I worry about Delfino as a starter; its walkoffs are relatively common and we know why those are bad, and the water allows for some real abuse for chars with good spikes. However, they are mostly avoidable, and you can stall most of them out)
-Would not be a common target of a stage ban against most top chars (Like, you would automatically ban Norfair, Brinstar, or RC against some characters; they are obviously not starters)

This seems pretty reasonable, and is in line with virtually every starter we have... it's obviously in line with the ones that are more common.

Battlefield
Not polarizing (anyone can do fine there).
No disruptions at all.
Doesn't give anyone a real advantage as far as I'm aware (although MK can do nasty stuff with the ledges, and snake has really nice stage control abuse).
Rather pointless to ever ban because of that.

Castle Siege
Not polarizing (it has 3 parts to get used to lol).
Minor disruptions that don't really matter.
Gives DDD and Falco moderate advantages but only during temporary changes that are relatively easy to avoid.
Would potentially end up as a ban against a DDD.

Delfino Plaza
Potentially polarizing, but not to a serious extent (gives CGers a slight advantage, gives people with good spikes an advantage, but also requires adaptability).
Minor disruptions that don't really matter.
Gives good water campers and CGers a slight advantage but nothing that can't be avoided by good defensive play.
Would potentially end up as a ban against DDD or Game and Watch; not that likely.

Halberd
Slightly polarizing towards characters with good vertical kill moves and heavies,
Minor (easily avoided) disruptions.
Gives Snake and DDD a slight disadvantage.
Was MK's go-to ban because he dies early there against a few chars (this alone makes it starter-worthy, IMO :laugh:). Now it's Green Greens, AFAIK.

Lylat Cruise
Not polarizing (unless you want to get annoying with the ledges).
Minor disruptions (friggin' ledges).
Gives characters with good, easily-steered recoveries a negligable advantage.
Would rarely end up banned.

Smashville
Not polarizing at all.
Negligable disruptions (lol balloon).
Gives MK a serious advantage due to scrooging, but **** it, we're talking about the guy who has no bad stages and a CP where he ***** almost EVERYONE.
Will almost never be the target of a stage ban.

Yoshi’s Island
See battlefield; small playing field slightly favors stage control elements.

Pokémon Stadium
Slightly polarizing. Rock is a pain in the ***, etc.
Moderate to heavy disruption through stage changes (****ing rock, ****ing windmill, ****ing fire)
Gives DDD a big fat advantage due to walls
Will sometimes get banned against DDD
Probably not a good starter.

Final Destination
Very Polarizing. Campy chars (falco, ICs, Diddy) and chars with CGs (Falco, ICs, DDD) LOVE this stage.
No disruptions.
Gives anyone who has a CG or a good projectile and movement speed a massive boost. There are no platforms to escape to in the case of grabs, no good way to avoid various attack spams, etc. Falco's best legal stage. DDD's best legal stage. IC's best legal stage. Arguably Diddy's best legal stage.
You will almost always ban this against ICs, Diddy, DDD, or Falco. This is NOT a starter stage!

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Thio, it's because it aids MKs camping game against these characters, AKA it's good for them but better for MK.

Also, after playing it, PS2 is actually legit outside of the wind transformation, as it literally makes interaction impossible in many MUs. The rest are really annoying, but tend to benefit floaties like MK/Kirby/Wario/Jiggs, which is a good quality in a CP.

EDIT:BudgetPlayerCadet: You forgot that Delfino and Halberd are good for MK lol. They let him shark, which most of the cast can't punish.

T-block

B2B TST
@sandwhale: Stalling happens on other stages as well. 3 put of the 4 transformations on PS1 could lead to stalling, but nobody calls that banworthy.

@thio: That's a pretty flawed evaluation. ICs able to take advantage of many stage traits? There's one type of stage that the ICs are good on =/. So you'd rather fight Diddy and ICs on FD over Battlefield?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Battlefield is not as bad because the stage is SMALL compared to how wide FD is. CGs last shorter and platforms can be used as leverage from far away to help avoid projectiles

NNID
Budget_Player
Thio, it's because it aids MKs camping game against these characters, AKA it's good for them but better for MK.

Also, after playing it, PS2 is actually legit outside of the wind transformation, as it literally makes interaction impossible in many MUs. The rest are really annoying, but tend to benefit floaties like MK/Kirby/Wario/Jiggs, which is a good quality in a CP.

EDIT:BudgetPlayerCadet: You forgot that Delfino and Halberd are good for MK lol. They let him shark, which most of the cast can't punish.
Name me a legal stage that isn't good for MK and you get a cookie.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9919448&postcount=315
Cuz it got newpaged. Awesome post. :V

Top Bottom