• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
^^^So you are now against this ruleset as well?
I agree with all of the rules.

The STAGELIST is what is wrong.

5 starters is bad to start with.
FD being one of the 5 is awful. If it must stay starter, you need 7 or 9.

Picto being legal, but Japes and Norfair being banned is a MASSIVE double standard. Picto should go, or Japes and Norfair join the list. Preferably the latter.

T-block

B2B TST
15:23 - piranha is chilling there and Razer rolls right into a grab-uthrow-bonus damage. Certainly preventable.
Yep.

16:59 - this one is borderline...Ally did make the mistake of up-b'ing into the missile, but he didnt really have many options in the situation. 45%+stock that probably was preventable, but really had no business taking place.
This one is not at all borderline. He had all the time in the world to react to the missile. Mistake #1 was up-b'ing into the missile. Mistake #2 was utilizing improper DI/air dodging and failing to miss the second missile. His options were not much more limited than they would have been on Final Destination. If anything, that missile should have helped him get back onto the stage. As it pushed its way across the stage, it would have either forced Razer back, or would have forced Razer to spend time destroying it in order to continue the pressure, which wouldn't have taken long. I don't see how this situation would have played out much differently from on Final Destination, had Marth not made that mistake.

14:29 - Ally misses a pivot grab that couldve led to something, but mightve led to nothing. One second later, Razer begins a nair and the spikes immediately show up. Without any possible way of predicting or preventing this, Ally gets a free extra 20%, Razer's nade blows up, and Ally punishes for the stock. Good job on Ally's part for recognizing his options, but a fair amount of dumb luck factored into getting that kill.
This is the only point in the match where I would agree it may be unreasonable to expect Snake to avoid. However, let's not get carried away. First of all, Snake messes up the autocancel, which enabled the grab in the first place. That's fine, as players will make mistakes. He takes an extra 20% from that, which is admittedly unfortunate. The follow-up u-air however, is an independent mistake. It is likely a similar situation would have arisen had the spikes not appeared, as Marth would have thrown Snake off the stage or into the air.

15:33 - Razer blows up his C4 to land, but note that Ally wouldve jumped into the flame regardless of whether or not the C4 hit him. In total it's only about 5% extra damage, but Ally loses every shred of momentum he had thanks to the RNG.
Yeah, the damage is insignificant - it's actually only 3%. Momentum... see following comment.

17:18 - basically the stage going trolololol at Ally's attempt to chase...and yes, the damage that the stage prevents from happening is just as important as the damage it causes. No prediction/prevention possible. The transformation is stalled out and the situation goes back to neutral.
Unfortunate as it is, this is not a big deal, and cuts to momentum occur on many stages. Flips on Frigate Orpheon can disrupt pressure. Having your opponent saved by Yoshi's shifts momentum on the broader scale as well. The situation in the video was nowhere near guaranteed damage either.

17:37 - initially I was going to disagree wth you, but looking back at the video, this is in fact another case of Picto randomly screwing a player over. An interesting mindgame scenario turns into the game for Ally; as the cart started getting drawn in after the first grab, Razer had no chance at prediction, and if your only options are 'airdodge into/attack the guy planning on shieldgrabbing once you do' and 'jump into the path of the rapidly approaching deadly hazard', there really isn't much of a choice in the end.
This was poor decision making on Snake's part. After the first throw, double jumping and landing on the "track" would have been the better choice - better familiarity with the speed of the cart (sidenote: the cart ALWAYS starts on the left side, so its location can be predicted just fine) and the nature of the hitbox would have made the clear.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Folks theres no point arguing for two different things.

Rather then saying FD should be removed OR we should have a 7-stage starter, just start pushing for a 7-stage starter list

Rather then saying picto should be banned OR norfair and japes should be added, push for the latter.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Then consider me in favor of at least 7 starters, and Norfair and Japes to be legalized.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Me as well. I dont think these are unreasonable requests.

And as I mentioned before I really think its a bad idea to try and ban any stages (picto and brinstar/RC) before any new stages are added. Its really going to hurt that cause. Im not the biggest fan of Brinstar but Im willing to put up with it if it means we have a few more CPs in the long run.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
2) That's why I placed it in the 'legitimate' section - because, for the most part, it is.

3) It's not that Ally got the grab, it's that a safe situation (even with the landing lag, he had a grenade in his

TAGXY STOP EDITING

hand to prevent anything big from happening. That grenade ended up (however indirectly) causing his death beacuse the RNG can do that to people.

4/5) Back to predictable (Frigate) and preventable (YI) (I guess 'preparable' would be a better term, but not changing it now). You know to expect something. On Picto, you can't possibly expect everything.

6) And what does he do then? He's still cutting it close in terms of getting hit, so now he's shielding and stuck between a sword and a hard place.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I support 7 stage starter (adding in PS2 and CS) and japes being legal.

I will support norfair when we give players 2 stage bans.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Then consider me in favor of at least 7 starters, and Norfair and Japes to be legalized.
I'll put my name down as agreeing for those.

I do not put my name down for two stage bans. If your character needs more than one stage ban for a MU: tough. If you don't like it, pick a character that's more diverse. That's besides the fact I shutter at the idea of MK getting two stages bans. He only really has one "bad" stage, do you really want to give him a ban on his one bad stage + your favorite CP? Yikes.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Chibo, T-block, all of those arguing for Pictochat, where are your massive wall of texts for why Japes and Norfair are still banned? I want to see those before I can even come close to considering this stage list legitimate.

sunshade

Smash Ace
T-Block to my knowledge supports japes and norfair being legal.

Not a clue about chibo.

Reizilla

Alright, well obviously, more than half of them were against it. I know Xyro supports Japes, so I wanna hear from the other 9(?) or whatever that have can deal with Picto's randomness and gimpy didsruptiveness but can't deal with Japes and Norfair. Which, as said before, should be the things we argue first.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I was not on the stream till 9:30 est. Was there talk of jungle japes prior to that?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Some people the 5 starter system gives the 2 best stages to: Diddy, Falco, DDD, and ICs. Thinking about this now, I don't understand this since any player is in control of 3 stages. Going into any set they can guarantee themselves one of three stages. This means at best they can only get their 3rd best stage... But like lets look at things.
Switching to 9 stages adds 4 more. Every player gets 4 strikes so they are in control of 5 stages, guaranteeing one of them.

In the 5 starter system guaranteeing one of 3 stages, the following characters can guarantee themselves:
Diddy: FD, SV, YI (I'm not sure if YI or BF is better for him, but I can see YI being a tad more beneficial overall)
Falco: FD, SV, BF
ICs: FD, SV, YI
DDD: FD, SV, YI

Now with the 9 starter system guaranteeing 5 stages:
Diddy: FD, SV, YI, PS1, BF
Falco: FD, SV, BF, CS, PS1
ICs: FD, SV, YI, PS1, CS
DDD: FD, SV, CS, PS1, YI

Now remember that each opponent has 2 strikes so can strike the best 2 stages of your character, so at best you're only going to get your third best stage.

For all the stages above I listed the stages in order of how good it is, decreasingly of course. I might be off a little bit, but it's close enough. By this I mean in the 9 starter system Falco's best stage is FD and his 5th best is PS1.

And similar to only getting your 3rd best stage in a 5 starter system, you can only get your 5th best stage in the 9 starter system.

So now ask yourself (the reader), is YI that much better than BF for Diddy?
Is BF that much better than PS1 for Falco?
Is YI that much better than CS for ICs?
Is YI that much better than.... YI for DDD? lol

The answer to me is no, not really. The change between their 3rd best stage in the 5 system and their 5th best stage in the 9 system doesn't differ too much. The only one that changes noticeably is ICs, but tbh it's a stretch and not too much of a change really. DDD doesn't change at all. Falco is about the same-ish imo. Diddy is about the same-ish imo, and it is the exact same if you think BF is his 3rd best stage in the 5 system instead of BF like I figured.

So really, as people suggest the flaw in the 5 starter system and prefers the 9 system over it, nothing really changes.

So yea, the 9 system won't prevent the quality of those 4 characters having over powered stages in the 5 system. It just so happens that those 4 characters thrive on "neutralish" stages. You would need a 11 or 13 starter system before you really saw a noticeable change in their game 1 viability.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Are you saying you support the 9 stage starter system? I am not really sure what you are trying to say, chibo.

TP

Smash Master
Someone probably already got to this, but a coding error is still no excuse.

Ganon's fair is supposed to auto-cancel. Do we implement a rule where your opponent has to let him finish his endlag first because it isn't fair?

Random outcome is a risk of using the move. See: Gordos, Turnips, Judgement.
The difference between a game-ending Ganoncide and all of these other "random" things is that Ganoncide ENDS THE DAMN MATCH. No **** we don't have a rule about Gordos, it would be impossible to make one. Making a rule for Ganoncide is easy.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Are you saying you support the 9 stage starter system? I am not really sure what you are trying to say, chibo.
He's saying there is no point to have a 9 starter list because there isn't much difference between certain stages in match-ups.

sunshade

Smash Ace
The difference between a game-ending Ganoncide and all of these other "random" things is that Ganoncide ENDS THE DAMN MATCH. No **** we don't have a rule about Gordos, it would be impossible to make one. Making a rule for Ganoncide is easy.
When you use a king dedede's side-b you use it knowing that it will randomly have 1 of 3 outcomes. When you use ganoncide, use it knowing that it has 1 of 2 outcomes, and its random.

Just because we can simply ignore the win screen does not mean we should. The game says that ganon's side-b is an inconsistent means of victory. So thats the way it is.

He's saying there is no point to have a 9 starter list because there isn't much difference between certain stages in match-ups.
The results being the same is not a good reason to stay with 5 stages. ing dedede is likely to end up on yoshi's island brawl in both 5 or 9 based on chibo's post but that does not mean that having yoshi's island be the sole starter stage is a good choice.

By having more stages we disipate the bias of the starter list. With 7 or 9 (in my opinion) we reach the point in which neither ground or air is heavily favored. For me starter lists go as follow

3 = heavy bias towards ground characters
5 = light blias towards ground characters
7 = optimal balance between ground and air (assuming full legal stage list striking is not an option)
9 = light air bias

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
I've read most of the thread and the arguments for a larger started list. You know, I'll probably be looked down on for even suggesting it but...

...Couldn't we say ditch the entire idea of a "counter pick only" list and only have a "starter" list? Maybe take out pictochat to make it 13 and do stage strikes and bans from there. If people want to include Jungle Japes (which I support as an awesome stage) then maybe there could be another stage to add to bring it up to 15.

I mean the idea of what constitutes a neutral stage seems pretty character/match up specific and is therefore subjective as a whole. If your going to diversify the starter list to 9 stages with quite dissonant properties and pros/cons based on characters, why not just throw in all tournament viable stages?

Reizilla

To all four of your questions, Chibo, a lot of characters would say yes. You're trying to water it down.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I've read most of the thread and the arguments for a larger started list. You know, I'll probably be looked down on for even suggesting it but...

...Couldn't we say ditch the entire idea of a "counter pick only" list and only have a "starter" list? Maybe take out pictochat to make it 13 and do stage strikes and bans from there. If people want to include Jungle Japes (which I support as an awesome stage) then maybe there could be another stage to add to bring it up to 15.

I mean the idea of what constitutes a neutral stage seems pretty character/match up specific and is therefore subjective as a whole. If your going to diversify the starter list to 9 stages with quite dissonant properties and pros/cons based on characters, why not just throw in all tournament viable stages?
No, you won't get looked down upon, this is actually the best choice out of any. A full stage list strike for game 1 allows for the most fair stage to be played on. However, people seem to think it takes time, or is somehow unfair.

To all four of your questions, Chibo, a lot of characters would say yes. You're trying to water it down.
Pretty much what I said to him.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Like Alphicans said Full legal stage list striking is the best option, and the ideal.

TP

Smash Master
Just because we can simply ignore the win screen does not mean we should. The game says that ganon's side-b is an inconsistent means of victory. So thats the way it is.
It doesn't mean we should, but it means we CAN, and thus ought to discuss it. As for what the game says, at some point you have to ask what's more important, adhering to what the game says or having a good competitive game?

sunshade

Smash Ace
It doesn't mean we should, but it means we CAN, and thus ought to discuss it. As for what the game says, at some point you have to ask what's more important, adhering to what the game says or having a good competitive game?
Ok, but why stop there? If we are going to ignore precedent, and go against the way the game is, and make rules which arbitrarily favor certain characters, why not just change everything? I mean we can after all.

Why not in addition to allowing ganon to always win in the event his side-b killing him, we let him counterpick every single round of the set?

Why not forbid metaknight from counter picking entirly?

Why not ban all non ice climber infinites?

Why not ban shiek's tilt locks on fox?

Why not require high tier characters to start the game with a 40% damage handicap?

Just because we can does not mean we should, and rules protecting ganon's side-b are just as arbitrary and scruby as all the rules I just suggested.

TP

Smash Master
None of those rules make the game more competitive. Removing luck does. This isn't about favoring Ganon. I'd rather have a rule that he ALWAYS loses than the current rule.

BSP

Smash Legend
there is almost nothing wrong with FD as starter, People need to go away from this mentality.
If a character is bad on stages like BF/FD/SV than the character is bad.
I'm starting to feel ashamed to be apart of this community. If you're fine with giving some characters their 2nd or best counterpick as a starter, throw Brinstar in there too.

Honestly can all these "FD is cool quit hating" people not see how it skews MUs?

The videos being presented do not capture the whole picture

First off, let me begin by refuting all of this video "evidence" being brought to the table. These videos are entertaining, and do indeed show what Pictochat could potentially do,
What do you mean "potentially"? These events have already happened and are 100% capable of happening in future tournament matches. Heck, there aren't enough videos to show everything that could happen on pictochat.

and a compilation can be quite convincing. However, it is important to realize that such a compilation cannot capture the frequency at which these events occur.
Why does this matter? As Gheb (I think) said, if you lose your phone today, or in five years, you still lost it. We are fully aware of these events that could happen in tournament. What are we going to do when spikes pop up and decide Grand Finals?

Click the following links, one after another:

• Ok, this is a legitmate point....until you realise how it is uncomparable to Pictochat's randomness.

When you're falling on either side of YI, both players are aware that the ghost can appear. What does this mean for each player?

Edgegaurder: your opponent has the chance of being saved, and you know this is the only possibility capable of happening, and you have a general idea of the area it can happen. The MK player knows that the ghost could appear. Why couldn't he just keep knocking falco farther away, or be prepared for the save, and be in position to knock falco back off?

There's also the fact that you could just finish the job horizontally or vertically. You know that the ONLY save could happen, so you, as a player, can be expected to work around this random event.

Now with Pictochat...there's a 1/26, 1/25, 1/24, etc. chance of any drawing appearing at any time during the match. You have no accurate way of predicting what is coming next, so how can we expect the player to work around this? They can't. The player must take a risk and either be randomly rewarded, and you can not expect players to work around this because they have no way of knowing what's coming next. Not to mention the effects of drawings are near instantaneous.

The ghost was already out for everyone to see, there is no argument in this video.

Also, all of your instances are based on the edgegaurding situation. What about the random rewards that can happen on stage as well as on the ground on Pictochat? AKA the entire stage? IE grab -> spikes of some kind, throw to invisible wall spike, the infamous line, etc.
    Can you give me some examples of YI randomly rewarding players from any area on the stage? Like…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0VN77EKgw&feature=player_detailpage#t=362s

I'll admit your videos do make an incriminating picture of YI, but don't forget we can do the same thing with Pictochat randomly helping players as well. Again though, all of your examples are based on recovery.

How random is Pictochat?
    Random enough to allow random reward at any instance on nearly any part of the stage.

I firmly believe that many overestimate the actual influence of randomness on a match. Let's get some stage facts out of the way first:
    • While the timing cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy, it can be predicted to within an interval of around three seconds. Generally, a drawing will appear after 6-9 seconds of blank time.
    • After a drawing has appeared, it will not appear again for the rest of the match (using 8-minute time)
    • It takes 9 minutes to cycle through all 27 drawings. This means that an 8-minute match will see approximately 24 drawings, while a more average 5-minute match will only see 15.
    Still doesn't address the big problem of what's coming next.

Note that the interval where a drawing could appear is only three seconds. That is not a large window, and practising on Pictochat allows you to develop a definitive feel for when that window is. This is not an unrealistic expectation - it is something that any player can achieve by practising and putting in an effort to becoming familiar with the stage. If a subpar player like me can do it, most of you can. However, I'm not going to pretend that this alone is enough to mitigate the potential effects of this stage.
    Good, because it's not IMO.

Moving on, step back for a moment and consider how many factors must align in order for Pictochat to wildly screw someone over.
    Don't just look at the "wild screwups". Everything counts in each game. That 25% from a missile or any percent from being thrown or knocked into a hazard could be the difference between living and dying. This isn't even including the gimping line.
    Any transformation involving hitboxes or walls or platforms (safe landing options suddenly dissapearing, a platform appearing to place you in an unsafe position...) like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyBpo2DVsi8&feature=player_detailpage#t=112s can interfere with the match.
    And don’t overestimate these “factors”. It only takes one grab or recovery situation on pictochat and you already have the risk of one player being randomly rewarded.

Hazards that kill, such as Plant and Mine Cart, do not kill at unreasonable percents (typically 130%+) - if launched into the Plant at lower percents, the damage is hardly anything to cry about.
    Considering Picto has a high ceiling, with good DI, it’s not that hard to live to higher percents like 180%. I think you’re underestimating the cart a bit, but anyway, you’re still dealing with the issue of random rewards here. And the damage isn’t everything. Getting hit by these things sets you up in a bad position as well.

So what has to happen in order for Plant to significanty sway a match? You must be in a certain percentage range - high enough to die, and low enough that the stock wasn't over anyways (dying at 200% to the Plant isn't the worst thing in the world)
    It IS when you would’ve lived if the plant did not randomly show up, especially if it’s the last stock.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0VN77EKgw&feature=player_detailpage#t=362s
    You’re saying it’s not a big deal if the plant makes a throw or attack that would not KO at the certain percent decide a match.
    And again, you’re not giving the damage, and the following positional disadvantage enough credit.

; Your opponent must have you in a comprimising position, able to force you into the newly-formed hazard, and this must occur within a very specific time window
    Just like all of the Yoshi’s Island videos, just saying
    Don’t downplay the time window either, this has happened multiple times as well. For the flower specifically, I guess this holds true. But these “compromising positions” are not uncommon at all.

- late enough for you to be hit by the hazard, but early enough that the warning was inadequate - if randomness is to be blamed.
    What if I grab you, and get a throw, and you grab me, then a second later the plant appears? This still has randomness to blame. Or I make a decision that has a fair risk vs. reward then…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0VN77EKgw&feature=player_detailpage#t=196s

On top of all that, you must both be in a place on the stage where the hazard could not have been avoided by DI or airdodging. That is a lot of factors that must be present.
    The things is though, this place is THE ENTIRE STAGE. Since you don’t know what’s coming next, any portion of the blank space can turn into a problem at any second, and remember, this includes walls, platforms, and hitboxes.

Chain grabs will inevitably be brought up as a counter-argument. Yes, characters with chain grabs will indeed have an advantage in this regard, as they have control over their opponent for a longer period of time, and have a higher chance of hitting that window.
    And they still are unfairly rewarded…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CnEd8Rxepw&feature=player_detailpage#t=40s

It is along the same lines as taking an Olimar to Frigate Orpheon and hoping that the stage remains on the first side for as long as possible... or Peach going to Yoshi's Island with the hope that the platform will save her as she floats down with her Parasol.
    Frigate’s flip is not instant….it has loud warning sirens to even tell you it’s coming. I can’t believe you’re equating the instant random rewards on Pictochat to something so obvious as the flip. And I’m going to call your frequency card here. Does Frigate flip every 20 seconds or so? And nice limiting your example to one character(or just tethers…which are 2 characters with tether only options), when the Pictochat example affects every matchup that can have a CG involved. Not comparable.

And even then, this flip is not instant death. The left side still has an edge and Olimar has DI. How many options do you have when Pictochat’s line instantly shows up when you were recovering? Or if it spawns spikes mid grab? Auto loss.
    As for peach, as I have said with Yoshi’s…you know this has the possibility of happening. You can prepare to knock peach back off, or just send her off the side altogether or off the top.

About the effects of drawings that don't do damage, there are three that are brought up regularly: Spikes for forming a ceiling over the edge of the stage,
    This one does damage as I’m sure you know, but it’s also extremely easy to combo from these spikes into a KO as well.
    Again, let's examine how many factors must line up in order for these to significantly affect a match. For Blowing, the face must appear when a character is recovering high from the far right, and must appear within a timing window such that the character recovering cannot react in time to decide to recover low.
    Don’t forget that this functions as a wall and the wind screws up with zoning and can even extend CGs(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cV7Znyjp8Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=547s). And what happens when you send your opponent off to the right, then the face appears and saves them?

With Spikes, the victim must be launched into a specific spot at a very specific time.
    It’s not that hard to do with a grab, and don’t forget the damage + stupid combo potential.

With Diagonal Line it's the same - the drawing has to decide to appear within a very specific timing window in order to cause a death that can be attributed to randomness. Yes, these things do happen. I acknowledge that. But really, how often do they occur? Those of you who have played this stage often, consider how often Diagonal Line appears. Out of those times, how often does it actually take a stock?
    So we’re going to leave something on that has proven potential to take a stock the entire match just because it doesn’t happen often? We’re ok with random rewards being possible until this thing appears? Frequency isn’t the main thing IMO, it’s just the fact it can happen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXg3C9mhTkw&feature=player_detailpage#t=105s
    Fair?

As a quick note, take a look at how many drawings are actually potentially problematic:
    • 6/27 have active hitboxes - Arrows, Cart, Fire, Missiles, Plant, Spikes
    • 6/27 have temporary "walls" - Arrows, Bricks, Diagonal Line, Sailboat, Singer, Whale
    • 3/27 form solid walls/ceilings that could lead to awkward recovery positions - Blowing, Diagonal Line, Spikes
    You’ve forgotten to include the transformations that introduce platforms anywhere. These are problematic too, and boosts the ratio up. You also didn’t include the walls that can randomly save an opponent from anywhere (to distinguish from yoshi’s) like the dominos and the clock.

This is a total of 12/27.
    Wrong, reason above.
    Walls are only a problem in a few matchups, so in the majority of matchups,
    What are you talking about? D3 vs anyone CGable, Diddy vs anyone, falco vs anyone CGable, MK vs anyone, etc. The walls affect every matchup. Don’t forget how their random appearances can punish one player and reward another, IE saving players (any MU), rewards like I said (any MU), Extending certain combos (any MU)
    What about the walls when you recover? Recovery is in every matchup.
    And something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC4t8tbo6D0&feature=player_detailpage#t=435s

we have 8/27 that are potentially problematic, two of which are Fire and Blowing, which very rarely cause significant damage, so that number could easily be considered 6.
    Fire can randomly save someone recovering, or put someone in a worse position and or limit landing options. I’ve already covered blowing above.

Considering the rest of Brawl...
    Does every other stage on brawl have the chance to extend CGs, create infinites, take stocks, etc. at any given point in time?
    ...but more importantly, consider the precedent we set in allowing Yoshi's Island to be starter. We allow Frigate Orpheon to be an undisputed counterpick.
    I’ve covered Frigate and Yoshi’s, plus, see the question above. But I will admit that Yoshi’s does have a good degree of randomness.

I feel that people underestimate the randomness in other stages while overestimating the randomness in Pictochat, causing them to draw the line before Pictochat, when really the space separating Pictochat from other stages is not large enough to warrant that decision.
    What about Pictochat’s potential to randomly reward anyone at any given time? This is a big deal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyBpo2DVsi8&feature=player_detailpage#t=216s

So, why does Pictochat seem more random than it actually is? I see two reasons; one is simply the fact that this stage can actively harm and kill players, whereas other forms of randomness do not. Frigate can sway a match in a passive, often unnoticed way.
    Don’t compare frigate to picto chat randomness, I explained why.
    Yoshi's Island's ghosts tend to save stocks more than take, so it feels better, even though the net result of taking your stock or saving your opponent's stock is the same: in both cases the stock count is displaced from what it would have been without stage interference.
    Been covered.

The other is confirmation bias.

A tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions ~ScienceDaily

We see the Support Ghost on Yoshi's Island save someone twice in a match and we think "lol Yoshi's". We see the spikes appear as someone is being thrown on Pictochat and think "omg ban". Every time something unfortunate happens on this stage, people are pushed closer and closer to the ban side, because it affirms the opinion that this stage is ridiculous and anti-competitive. Step back and try to consider objectively - what is the actual impact, and how often does it occur? And then compare it to other aspects we have in Brawl.
    Potential to happen > frequency IMO. And we’ve seen all this stuff happen…

Unfortunately, I cannot offer definitive proof, but I firmly believe that the randomness present on Pictochat is not that far out of line with what is in the rest of Brawl, and I believe that it is largely due to a player's preconceptions that most do not see it the same way.
    Again, I state: Does every other stage on brawl have the chance to extend CGs, create infinites, take stocks, etc. at any given point in time?

Why include it then?

While I do not believe that this is a question that should ever be asked, I will address it. Even if you were somehow convinced by my rambling above, you might ask "But even if the randomness is acceptable, why not remove it? If randomness can be easily removed, then why not?". I am not even going to default to the tired legal-until-proven-banworthy argument here, because the benefits of including Pictochat is something I can actually address.

First of all, this is a stage that heavily rewards a player's adaptibility and stage knowledge. While I realize that some may not place as much value on these qualities, I should hope that they can still see that those who put in the effort to learn a stage should probably be rewarded.
    No, this stage rewards players who are in the right place at the right time…in other words, getting lucky! You can know Picto like the back of your hand, but you CANT prepare for all the possible transformations at once, and you can’t tell me that the random rewards are fair.

Then, this stage has unique blastzones. The ceiling is higher than the standard Battlefield/Final Destination/Smashville height, while the sides are relatively short. Varied blastzones, in moderation, is perhaps the least intrusive way to introduce counterpicking qualities into a stage. This leads us to perhaps the most obvious benefit: that we gain an entry in our stage pool. Some characters, such as Olimar, Diddy, Falco, and Pokemon Trainer, really benefit from having this stage available. If we deem the randomness ultimately acceptable, but ban Pictochat anyways, we are robbing these characters of a strong counterpick. It should also be noted that this stage is not exceedingly strong for Meta Knight.
    If you are looking to limit MK, add a stage ban, ban RC or Brinstar, or both. Don’t keep this luck fest.
    Funny you mention DIddy lol : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC4t8tbo6D0&feature=player_detailpage#t=435s
    M2K reacted as fast as possible, and STILL got punished by randomness from Pictochat.

IMO we can’t have Pictochat legal without Japes and Norfair…and maybe Distant Planet. With pictochat legal, randomness is not a considerable factor at all.

More stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyBpo2DVsi8&feature=player_detailpage#t=192s

Look how when Denti goes for his grab, Polt is randomly rewarded with the wall spawning to save him.

Now look a bit later. When Polt gets a free grab, he rewarded yet again by having spikes show up.

Last part of the video is obvious.

sunshade

Smash Ace
None of those rules make the game more competitive. Removing luck does. This isn't about favoring Ganon. I'd rather have a rule that he ALWAYS loses than the current rule.
If Ganon does not want to be the victim of fate then he should not use his side-b on the last stock.

Banning randomness is silly in the majority of cases (this being one of them). Lets ban peach's turnip pull, dedede's waddle toss, and game and watches hammer. Its removing randomness and making the game more competitive.

fUddO

Smash Ace
People in our scene had trouble remembering the 9 stage list when we did it, lol. I would even want to attempt 13/15+. It really does slow things down.

TP

Smash Master
If Ganon does not want to be the victim of fate then he should not use his side-b on the last stock.

Banning randomness is silly in the majority of cases (this being one of them). Lets ban peach's turnip pull, dedede's waddle toss, and game and watches hammer. Its removing randomness and making the game more competitive.
This conveniently brings us back to my first point:

And what makes this case "silly"?

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
People in our scene had trouble remembering the 9 stage list when we did it, lol. I would even want to attempt 13/15+. It really does slow things down.
So if they can only remember a 5/7 name list, what happens when it goes to counter picks? Did they remember the names on the counter pick list or have to ask/look it up? If it's the former, then yes they can remember the list of 13/15. If it's the latter then how is that any different then looking up what the 13/15 name list is?

Memorizing one list of 13/15 might prove easier then memorizing two lists of 7ish. Also if that really is a problem a tournament organizer could say print out the list, maybe even as just quarter page reference sheets or otherwise have it posted around the venue for anyone to see/reference.

It really isn't that hard. I've done it for tourneys before.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Its silly because you are drawing an arbitrary distinction between moves that end the match and moves that don't. At the core its an identical scenario. We have a move which has a random outcome, and a rule is being suggested to change that by ignoring who the game tells us won the match.

Changing what the game says in regards to ganon's side-b is just as arbitrary and unjustified as banning the various special moves which have random elements to them.

Top Bottom