• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Tesh

Smash Hero
Well, alot has been said. I'm not going to read any of it or respond to much except how the BBRRC should respond.

I only skimmed the last 12ish pages, but has anyone besides Xyro responded. No offense to him, but he doesn't actually argue, he just posts that no one outside the BBRRC is worth arguing with. Its just a bad message to put out like that. Even if the TOs do hold all the cards here, you guys might not want to act like tyrants. We know you all provide a service to the community by putting in the time to host tournaments. I can't speak for all of the stage rage crew or other naysayers about this, but I just want decent explanations about why the ruleset is the way it is. Is that so much to ask?

PS- This is why the BBRRC should have someone like that Pierce7D fellow. Honey>Vinegar.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Actual reasoning for most rules were being written already by mostly Esam. Not sure if it's finished or if it will be before any updates are made to the ruleset. Xyro's not a good example of how the BBR-RC feels or thinks.

fUddO

Smash Ace
So if they can only remember a 5/7 name list, what happens when it goes to counter picks? Did they remember the names on the counter pick list or have to ask/look it up? If it's the former, then yes they can remember the list of 13/15. If it's the latter then how is that any different then looking up what the 13/15 name list is?

Memorizing one list of 13/15 might prove easier then memorizing two lists of 7ish. Also if that really is a problem a tournament organizer could say print out the list, maybe even as just quarter page reference sheets or otherwise have it posted around the venue for anyone to see/reference.

It really isn't that hard. I've done it for tourneys before.
Well, I think they were just being lazy, and realized they were probably going to end up on BF/SV anyways.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Actual reasoning for most rules were being written already by mostly Esam. Not sure if it's finished or if it will be before any updates are made to the ruleset. Xyro's not a good example of how the BBR-RC feels or thinks.
I am very glad to hear that, is there any estimated time for when that will be posted?

TP

Smash Master
Its silly because you are drawing an arbitrary distinction between moves that end the match and moves that don't. At the core its an identical scenario. We have a move which has a random outcome, and a rule is being suggested to change that by ignoring who the game tells us won the match.

Changing what the game says in regards to ganon's side-b is just as arbitrary and unjustified as banning the various special moves which have random elements to them.
The distinction isn't arbitrary, nor is it unjustified. The justification is it makes the game more competitive. It isn't arbitrary because there is a clear reason for the rule to only affect Ganoncides: it's the only move that you CAN make a rule for.

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
Well, I think they were just being lazy, and realized they were probably going to end up on BF/SV anyways.
In a 13/15 stage list I'd wager that happens less. There is a lot more room to edge things towards other stages as you could use you first strike or two to knock out the more commonly played ones to your favor.

It really gives space to be strategic your strikes instead of always make the most obvious choice.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
I'm still upset and confused about the starter stages lol.

Why is FD even a problem? so many character's beat MK on it who's complaining that's not an MK Main?

sunshade

Smash Ace
The distinction isn't arbitrary, nor is it unjustified. The justification is it makes the game more competitive. It isn't arbitrary because there is a clear reason for the rule to only affect Ganoncides: it's the only move that you CAN make a rule for.
Ignoring your complete misuse/misunderstanding of the word arbitrary, tell me why the following rule is not acceptable. It removes randomness (making the game more competitive, which is the same justification for the ganon suicide rule) and we CAN make a rule for it (making it not arbitrary apparently).

"If a player is using the character peach, mr.game and watch, or king dedede, they may not have any button on their control allocated to the "special" command. Players who wish to use these characters, must create a tag, enter the control configuration menu, and disable any button from using the "special" command."

fUddO

Smash Ace
I know. I'm in favour of choice. It would give better and more dedicated players a better chance to prove their superiority, without affecting balance in any way.

Why is FD even a problem? so many character's beat MK on it who's complaining that's not an MK Main?
Pit main here. It's against my interest for the most part. I just think it's more fair, and would lead to more stage diversity.

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
I know. I'm in favour of choice. It would give better and more dedicated players a better chance to prove their superiority, without affecting balance in any way.
Yup glad we agree. I was just following my point to the end. :)

Tesh

Smash Hero

We know its MKs worst stage. IF the BBRRC is saying they are making his worst stage a starter to help keep him in line, then why don't they just say it. So far the only response we got was "LOL BUT IT WERE LIEK DIS IN MELEE, MELEE AND BARLW ARE SAME GAME AND MELEE PPLAYERS WUZ RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING".

If Diddy Kong was #1 on the tier list would Brinstar be a good starter stage then? It would help characters cope with his brokenness right?

I'm personally not arguing to help improve my odds at a tournament. FD is perfectly fine for my main and Pictochat is his best stage.

milesg2g

Smash Champion

Pit main here. It's against my interest for the most part. I just think it's more fair, and would lead to more stage diversity.
I'm sorry that just makes no sense to me. You want FD gone so you can gain leads to newer stages? That's a very bad reason to take the stage away. If the stage has been a neutral since the release of Brawl and Melee, why take it out? Because you wanna learn something new? That my friend is something you do on your own time, not on a universal ruleset.

Good players don't have a problem with MK on neutral stages, they have a problem on his CP's and you're wishing to take FD, the only stage w/o platforms out?

Unbelievable.

TP

Smash Master
Ignoring your complete misuse/misunderstanding of the word arbitrary, tell me why the following rule is not acceptable. It removes randomness (making the game more competitive, which is the same justification for the ganon suicide rule) and we CAN make a rule for it (making it not arbitrary apparently).

"If a player is using the character peach, mr.game and watch, or king dedede, they may not have any button on their control allocated to the "special" command. Players who wish to use these characters, must create a tag, enter the control configuration menu, and disable any button from using the "special" command."
If you can't see the difference between your rule and the Ganoncide rule, you're trolling. Either way, I'm done with this.

Good thing I'm a TO and I'm hosting a tournament with my rule in place. :troll:

milesg2g

Smash Champion
We know its MKs worst stage. IF the BBRRC is saying they are making his worst stage a starter to help keep him in line, then why don't they just say it. So far the only response we got was "LOL BUT IT WERE LIEK DIS IN MELEE, MELEE AND BARLW ARE SAME GAME AND MELEE PPLAYERS WUZ RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING".

If Diddy Kong was #1 on the tier list would Brinstar be a good starter stage then? It would help characters cope with his brokenness right?

I'm personally not arguing to help improve my odds at a tournament. FD is perfectly fine for my main and Pictochat is his best stage.
Ok so let me get this straight, the BBR has to tell you WHY they're putting it as a neutral? And you're upset because they're doing it because Melee did/does it? The stage is a prime example of wtf neutral means lol. Do they need an explanation?

Also for the sake of the argument lets say Diddy was the best character in the game. Doesn't mean he isn't Diddy lol. MK is one of the very few or only character in a fighter that has no confirmed bad MU's. And since this game is based on stages and counterpicking that makes him pretty dam dominant. Diddy on the other hand even if he were the best in the game he still has bad MU's and stages he can't perform on unlike MK lol. MK goes EVEN on his bad on his BAD stage lol. Diddy doesn't have that problem so that's not the case.

It's better not to use the word "if" when trying to get your point across lol

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea

Arbitrary, you mean like those arbitrary numbers for the LGL, right? Yeah, arbitrary things have to be the biggest no-nos ever, right guys? Arbitrary rules, like how DDD can down throw in place infinitely, but DK can't grab the ledge infinitely, right?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Speaking of maps, why can't the BBRRC sanction the use of custom stages now with this unity? It would certainly help create more "static starters". I know what the arguement against this will be, and its not really good imo.

@ Miles, are you saying neutral means to bring MKs matchups closer to even? Because you basically said that the Neutral list should be MKs worst stages. Thats not actually neutral, that sort of defines counterpicking. You just think its okay to CP MK twice because he is MK (which I have no opinion on). Is that your stance? I can understand that, but it seems unfair to other less broken aerial characters like GnW.

Static doesn't mean neutral. Empty doesn't mean neutral. A lack of something also favors certain characters. Consider how a stage with not floor or platforms at all would affect combat? Thats as empty as it gets, do that make it as "neutral" as it gets?

sunshade

Smash Ace
If you can't see the difference between your rule and the Ganoncide rule, you're trolling. Either way, I'm done with this.

Good thing I'm a TO and I'm hosting a tournament with my rule in place. :troll:
I used the same justification (making the game more competitive) that you are using for why a ganoncide rule is ok. My rule is equal as arbitrary as the ganoncide rule but it uses the exact same reasoning you are using for why the ganoncide rule is acceptable.

Ok so let me get this straight, the BBR has to tell you WHY they're putting it as a neutral? And you're upset because they're doing it because Melee did/does it? The stage is a prime example of wtf neutral means lol. Do they need an explanation?

Also for the sake of the argument lets say Diddy was the best character in the game. Doesn't mean he isn't Diddy lol. MK is one of the very few or only character in a fighter that has no confirmed bad MU's. And since this game is based on stages and counterpicking that makes him pretty dam dominant. Diddy on the other hand even if he were the best in the game he still has bad MU's and stages he can't perform on unlike MK lol. MK goes EVEN on his bad on his BAD stage lol. Diddy doesn't have that problem so that's not the case.

It's better not to use the word "if" when trying to get your point across lol
Tons of fighting games have characters with no bad match-ups. Sf4 saget, ST akuma, ST sim, HD Akuma, SSB64 Pikachu, Brawl metaknight, Brawl diddy kong (arguably), Thirdstrike yun, and these are just off the top of my head, I know there are more.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I used the same justification (making the game more competitive) that you are using for why a ganoncide rule is ok. My rule is equal as arbitrary as the ganoncide rule but it uses the exact same reasoning you are using for why the ganoncide rule is acceptable.

Tons of fighting games have characters with no bad match-ups. Sf4 saget, ST akuma, ST sim, HD Akuma, SSB64 Pikachu, Brawl metaknight, Brawl diddy kong, Thirdstrike yun, and these are just off the top of my head, I know there are more.
lolwut .

sunshade

Smash Ace
Arbitrary, you mean like those arbitrary numbers for the LGL, right? Yeah, arbitrary things have to be the biggest no-nos ever, right guys? Arbitrary rules, like how DDD can down throw in place infinitely, but DK can't grab the ledge infinitely, right?
I am opposed to the LGL as well. If a character is broken using the ledge, they are broken in general. I see no distinction between ledge play, and typical play.

So yes, arbitrary rules are a big no no.

@P1: I forgot to put the words arguably there, although that particular example was tongue in cheek to begin with.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Speaking of maps, why can't the BBRRC sanction the use of custom stages now with this unity? It would certainly help create more "static starters". I know what the arguement against this will be, and its not really good imo.

@ Miles, are you saying neutral means to bring MKs matchups closer to even? Because you basically said that the Neutral list should be MKs worst stages. Thats not actually neutral, that sort of defines counterpicking. You just think its okay to CP MK twice because he is MK (which I have no opinion on). Is that your stance? I can understand that, but it seems unfair to other less broken aerial characters like GnW.

Static doesn't mean neutral. Empty doesn't mean neutral. A lack of something also favors certain characters. Consider how a stage with not floor or platforms at all would affect combat? Thats as empty as it gets, do that make it as "neutral" as it gets?
lolololwut? I don't even see how that could've been implied. I'm not saying the definition of a neutral is a bad stage for MK, I'm saying the neutrals we've been playing for the past 3 years are the level's he's not as dominant in lol. How'd that even go over your head xD lololol wooow.

Tons of fighting games have characters with no bad match-ups. Sf4 saget, ST akuma, ST sim, HD Akuma, SSB64 Pikachu, Brawl metaknight, Brawl diddy kong, Thirdstrike yun, and these are just off the top of my head, I know there are more.

Yeah but those other games aren't revolved around stages like Brawl is which makes MK more dominant.

Tesh

Smash Hero
lolololwut? I don't even see how that could've been implied. I'm not saying the definition of a neutral is a bad stage for MK, I'm saying the neutrals we've been playing for the past 3 years are the level's he's not as dominant in lol. How'd that even go over your head xD lololol wooow.

Yeah but those other games aren't revolved around stages like Brawl is which makes MK more dominant.
So you think if our starter list was actually more fair to characters, MK would have too large of an advantage? Thats exactly what I said. You just said AGAIN that we should keep FD as a starter because having bad stages for MK makes him less dominant. roflololol wowzers dude :troll:

Gea

Smash Master
Speaking of maps, why can't the BBRRC sanction the use of custom stages now with this unity?
Technical issues aside, I don't think the prominent TOs agree very well on a stage list as it is. What makes you think that they can agree to something this drastic of a change? It would be interesting if they were allowed, and there are a few really neat ones that have been made. It would ultimately mean more work for the TOs and an SD card in every Wii if they were made to look nice/ hacked for optimum coolness. Though of course if they did that, why not add no tripping, then if they did that... etc etc etc

Tesh

Smash Hero
You need hacks for no tripping. A TO can easily copy custom stages onto an unhacked wii. Its easy to implement to any wii at any tournament anywhere.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
So you think if our starter list was actually more fair to characters, MK would have too large of an advantage? Thats exactly what I said. You just said AGAIN that we should keep FD as a starter because having bad stages for MK makes him less dominant. roflololol wowzers dude :troll:

Again, this just goes over his head lol. I'm saying the current list is fair, and taking away one of the better stages characters do good on against him will on screw you over lol. Why take away one of your cp's as a starter to throw it in the CP section? lol. It's just dumb

Not to mention the stage itself is pretty universal why take it out?

Browny

Smash Hater
You know BPC... honestly... what you fail to understand is that just because your logic leads you to a certain conclusion, does not mean it is the only right one. Various ways of logical progression of the exact same problem wont always lead to the same, justified conclusion. I feel quite qualified to say this as an engineer where EVERYTHING is done in a logical order and there is rarely a single path you can take. It was so noticeable in university when the exact same problem was given to us engineering students and the sheer range of answers given at the end, all perfectly legitimate and believable backed up by sound logic. Obviously not questions with definite number answers, but arguing why a certain design is best for a given situation.

The differences in answers for a water treatment system (real example) could be something simple as 'you chose to deliver xx bottles of water by designing a more powerful pump' vs 'you increased the frequency of delivery'. Tiny differences which are both correct, but at the end you have wildly different designs which cost the same.

Now I could try to compare this to brawl but I dont care enough, I dont look into stages much, I just play them and like/hate some more than others. The point im trying to get across, is that you always attempt to prove your point by claiming 'im arguing with logic, therefore I am right'. If anyone doesnt agree with you, CLEARLY their logic is wrong since there can only be one answer. Unfortunately for you, that is NOT the case and whether you like it or not, everyone makes assumptions, dozens of insignificant ones in their arguments which can change how the argument forms, EVEN YOU. Things that you deem fact (like how it was banned in 1/3 of MLG matches implying that it is clearly unbalanced) makes the assumption that every time it was banned, it was done so on the knowledge that such a stage was without doubt, overpowered. You arent considering endless other possibilities, like maybe the OTHER player doesnt like big flat stages as a personal preference the same way I dont like small, cluttered ones. maybe they banned it vs a certain character because SWF told them it was a good ban, the same people who used to tell us that ROB was top tier. Not everyone makes informed decisions and even those who DO, you cant exactly prove beyond a doubt that the information was actually 100% correct.

But im not here to argue with you coz as I said, I dont really care about stage rules seeing as they dont really affect me. Just to let you know that you claiming 'logic' as your ally when proposing your arguments does not make them right by default. You claim people cant disprove your facts when in actuality, you dont have any. You cant produce unbiased numbers, every bit of data you ever have is skewed by what the public used to believe or does. I just cant take any of your arguments seriously when you like to claim logic this logic that. If you were any good at arguing and had strong points, you wouldnt need to say it once, people would realise this and understand it. But of course you straight away assume people are uninformed and dumb etc...

Gea

Smash Master
You need hacks for no tripping. A TO can easily copy custom stages onto an unhacked wii. Its easy to implement to any wii at any tournament anywhere.
Assuming the stages were made in stage creator, this is true. They gonna look ugly as sin and be basic as hell, though. But maybe that's the point?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I am opposed to the LGL as well. If a character is broken using the ledge, they are broken in general. I see no distinction between ledge play, and typical play.

So yes, arbitrary rules are a big no no.

@P1: I forgot to put the words arguably there, although that particular example was tongue in cheek to begin with.
Arbitrary rules, whether you like it or not, are essential. % rule? That's arbitrary, yet not many people argue its legitimacy.

T-block

B2B TST
@MK26 and BSP: I don't really have the time to address all your points individually, and I apologize for that. I will respond to you globally though, and I feel it's easier for readers to follow that way as well. If there are any individual points I end up glossing over that you would like addressed specifically, bring them up.

First of all, several people now have responded to my post saying "frequency doesn't matter", and that's new to me. I thought many people had an issue with how often these things happen on Pictochat, so I made sure to refute that. If frequency truly isn't the issue, then I am going to stress Yoshi's Island even more:

BSP asked what I would do if Spikes popped up in Grand Finals. I ask him what he would do if the platform saved a player from a gimp in Grand Finals. If we can ignore frequency, then let us dive deeper into the comparison. Yes, it is completely reasonable to expect the attacker to prepare for his opponent being saved - there's no reason not to do so. However, that doesn't suddenly mean stocks are not still being returned. Consider the following scenario: Meta Knight manages to set up a low percent gimp on Falco. He forces Falco below the ledge without a double jump, and grabs the ledge to edgehog once Falco's up-b will not allow him to return. Falco aims for the platform, and gets saved. Meta Knight was ready for this and hovers over the appropriate area, landing a d-air after the save. Falco now has a double jump and a side-b, allowing him to return to the stage. One could imagine many more low percent gimp scenarios. What if a player is caught with bad DI and is unable to recover? After being saved by the platform he is able to DI properly, and the stock is returned. Some characters have relatively low lag on landing from up-b freefall. If saved near the bottom, holding shield would likely allow them to return despite the edgeguarder's attacks. These are all reasonable scenarios that would effectively result in a second chance for a stock that would otherwise be lost. It is NOT the case that after seeing your opponent fail to recover, you can think "oh well, even if the platform saves them i can make them lose the stock anyways".

BSP, I can acknowledge all the little differences you are pointing out. Incidents on Yoshi's Island revolve around recovery, while Pictochat's could take place anywhere on the stage. Yoshi's Island can be expected, while Pictochat generally cannot. This is all true, but I'm going to ask you to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Do these differences really matter? As explained in the above paragraph, Yoshi's Island can and will return stocks. I didn't even mention how it can KILL Lucas and Ness in that paragraph. Yoshi's can change the stock count. Pictochat can also change the stock count. Sure, it can also extend chain grabs, or lead to infinites, but at worst that also changes the stock count. Let's not try to make it sound worse than it is by listing all these other things. We have two stages that can both realistically change the stock count from what it would have been without stage interference, yet one is widely regarded as starter material, and the other is the subject of a legality debate.

You keep bringing up these little things - Fire can limit landing options, Bricks can halt momentum, platforms appearing affects the game, etc. This is all true. But I'm going to ask you to take a step back here, and I request this of everybody reading this as well. Look at the overall effect on the match. The method in which randomness affects the match (whether it's by taking stocks, saving stocks, making juggling easier, halting momentum, etc.) is unimportant compared to the end result, since the end result is all we care about.

BSP said:
Potential to happen > frequency IMO. And we’ve seen all this stuff happen...
Then apply this exact line of thinking to Yoshi's Island. How do you defend Yoshi's Island in this light?

You completely missed my point about Frigate Orpheon. I know the flip gives warning; the flip is not the problem. The problem is that it is random in how much time it spends in the first state compared to how much time it spends in the second state. I'm sure you've played on Frigate and noticed "wow flip already? we are spending a lot of time in the second part of the stage". The second stage could quite possibly be Olimar's best stage considered alone, while the first stage offers the chance of gimping Olimar. Take two players who are very close in skill. The deciding factor when played on Frigate Orpheon could easily be how much time the stage decides to spend on which side. In this way, MK26, Frigate is NOT predictable, because there is no way of knowing how much time the stage will spend in each state before entering it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Again, this just goes over his head lol. I'm saying the current list is fair, and taking away one of the better stages characters do good on against him will on screw you over lol. Why take away one of your cp's as a started to throw it in the CP section? lol. It's just dumb

Not to mention the stage itself is pretty universal why take it out?
Wow, this guy is almost as bad as Xyro. You aren't a TO though, so why am I even talking to you about this.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/neutral

@ Gea, I wasn't really considering cosmetics. They shouldn't matter much in this situation.

Gea

Smash Master
I was thinking more you can make a more dynamic and functional stage with hacks, but you're right.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Wow, this guy is almost as bad as Xyro. You aren't a TO though, so why am I even talking to you about this.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/neutral

@ Gea, I wasn't really considering cosmetics. They shouldn't matter much in this situation.

lololololol that's pretty smart of you, I mean I wasn't aware of you being a TO. Like pretty much everyone in this thread isn't with the exception of a few. lol

You were just completely wrong. I thought you were joking at first but apparently not. Woww that sux lololol

Tesh

Smash Hero
lololololol that's pretty smart of you, I mean I wasn't aware of you being a TO. Like pretty much everyone in this thread isn't with the exception of a few. lol

You were just completely wrong. I thought you were joking at first but apparently not. Woww that sux lololol
The other side has a BPC too? Well thats not fair. We don't have a bunch of Melee fans that are always right.

Anyway, hoping AZ will respond as the OP says.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
The other side has a BPC too? Well thats not fair. We don't have a bunch of Melee fans that are always right.

Anyway, hoping AZ will respond as the OP says.

Lol you're main complaint was that the BBR didn't announce why the hell they put the level in there. And all I'm saying is that it should be pretty obvious. I'll even list the reason's it should stay in as a starter both as a neutral and obvious/traditional reasons.

Traditional:

• The stage is used in every other country as a starter.
  • It's been a starter since the release
  • One of the main stages that shuts down the most dominant character

How it's a Neutral/Starter:

• No Platforms
  • No Hazards
  • Flat Stage
  • The only abuse that may happen on the stage would be ledges, which still would be hard with the limits set.

NNID
Budget_Player
ugh okay I have some freetime I might as well answer this, I may not reply to whatever over-the-top, ridiculous points you give in return, though. idk how much patience I have

1st point: That's an argument for it being banned, not for it being a counterpick instead of a starter.
What? No, that's simply not the case. A stage being "drastically different" doesn't disqualify it as competitive, but it seems like most of the people coming up to bat for the stage would be swayed by this argument. In truth, that FD is different from other stages makes absolutely no difference for either its ability to be a starter or a counterpick. Or at least it shouldn't make a difference.

2nd point: That's an argument for it being banned, again. Those things that are sometimes counterpicks are what your strikes are for. We get an abundance of strikes for those stages that happen to be bad in the matchup we're playing!
What? "This stage is very polar in many matchups" is a ban argument? No, it isn't. I'm sorry, I can't quite go into the exact proof here, because this statement is just so monumentally wrong. Case in point: RC, Brinstar, Frigate, Picto... You're just really wrong.

3rd: I thought it was just under 1/3rd.... I thought it was like 30%. Anyways, again, this is another argument related to trying to get the stage outright banned, not removed from the starter list. Now I'm sure you'll object to this, and say something without thinking like "Why? If it's unfair overall, then it's obviously unfair in a starter list!"

We get an abundance of strikes, unless we're playing with a 3 stage starter list (which would be awesome. And, hell, if we were using a 3 stage starter list, having FD off wouldn't be so bad, since you'd be able to guarantee a more pvp-based stage first round if you wanted). Our strikes are there to get rid of those stages that are unusually bad in the matchup we're playing, or that we're personally uncomfortable with.
Two. You get to strike TWO stages in this starter list. That's not an abundance. That's a bare minimum. At the same time, characters like Falco, Diddy, and ICs have three really good stages. CAN YOU SEE HOW THIS MIGHT BE A PROBLEM? Again, lemme make the comparison:
Brinstar/Frigate/Delfino/FD/BF

This stagelist. "Don't like Brinstar? Just strike it". Of course, what that statement ignores is that characters like MK get not just Brinstar with this list, but 2 other really good stages. And you can't strike all three of them. This is the problem with the current 5-starter stagelist; FD is simply the easiest part to attack. So how do you fix a problem like this? Well, one of two ways...
Frigate/Delfino/BF/SV/PS1
SO MUCH BETTER! LOOK AT THAT! All of a sudden you'll usually end up on BF, SV, or PS1. You can strike all of the heavily aerial-orientated stages!
Brinstar/Frigate/Delfino/BF/SV/PS1/LC
Again, even better! More options, more strikes, and you can still strike that ****!

Now replace BF and SV in those lists with any viable stages, and replace Brinstar, Frigate, and Delfino with BF/SV/FD. Seeing where I'm coming from now? If not, have you ever played against a good ICs main?

Before you say "LOL SCRUBBY DUMMY WE SHOULD ADD RC THEN", take into account that balance of matchups may not be what we're looking for in a starter list. We may be looking for stages in the first round that ARE static. So that it's a more pvp environment, where it's to see who has more of a mastery of the basics that are present on every stage.
Hoo boy. You seem to be missing the underlying issue with this statement on several levels. First of all, if the balance of matchups is now what you're looking for, then stage striking is a gigantic waste of time. The entire idea behind it is more or less "find a balanced stage for round one". If you're going to cut that out, you might as well just random select between FD and BF. Secondly... PvP environment and mastery of the basics is present almost everywhere. I could easily name 7 stages where these skills are absolutely necessary:
FD, BF, SV, PS1, PS2, YI, CS
All that the stages beyond the first three do is add more. They don't take away from the basics in the slightest. They just demand that you are a capable player in more than one respect. And we can't do this on game one? The most important game of the set? Justification plz.

It'd be subjective to state that FD simply feels like a balanced player-vs-player stage in some matchups (not all). It'd be subjective to state that FD is obviously a starter because it's just a pvp fight.

Being initially subjective, though, doesn't make an idea inherently wrong. Sometimes common sense is based on a lot more than you might think after a post-intial, surface-level, "objective", inspection.

FD feeling neutral might be subjective. But stating that environments moving around, being forced off of your current ground, having options limited depending on how long you've been in a certain location, having options limited completely randomly, can take away from a player's focus on the pvp aspects of the game is pretty objective, no?
It can. Which means you have to get better to focus on the PvP aspects. And here's the disconnect: you think that a stage moving around ruins PvP on it. This is testably wrong in most cases. There are only a few stages I can name that truly hurt PvP elements. If you're spending half the match dodging around hazards on PS1/PS2, then guess what: you're probably doing it wrong.

Sometimes we can't come up with an objective way of stating why we subjectively feel one way. Sometimes it can take a really long time, or possibly never even happen. Just because the theory of gravity hadn't been established didn't mean that it was subjective to think that its effects existed, and because it was subjective it was inherently wrong.

We can't necessarily give you a completely objective criteria for why FD is a better starter than RC, but most tourney-goers can probably subjectively state that RC as a starter, with its justification being that FD is a starter, is just plain ********, regardless of if some theorycrafters state it's "balanced". It doesn't feel balanced when you play it, and that's for a million reasons that I could never even begin to tell you all of them. I could give you a few if you want, but you'd likely say that it's subjective to some extent, and throw it away, even though it's impossible to not be subjective to some extent.
K. Debate 101. "What makes a good Axiom". An Axiom is more or less an assumption that you presuppose to the beginning of the argument to make a starting ground for the argument itself. What makes a good axiom? Basically anything that doesn't lead to a ludicrous result. For example, assuming that "depth = competitiveness" is a good assumption, because rejecting this axiom will lead to clearly ridiculous results, such as "chess is as competitive as tic-tac-toe" being a valid statement. And when choosing the Axioms... That's where we must end subjectivity. We choose the basis for our entire argumentation, and then we work with logic and evidence from there. What's your assumption, though? That subjective opinions matter? That's ridiculous; I have some friends here who I can use to prove that Temple is the best stage in the game.

Reasons for why it should be a starter:

1) It provides a pure pvp experience, comparable to battlefield, and for the most part smashville (maybe a few other stages).
Okay, let's clear this up once and for all... This is the skill required on FD/BF:
PPPPPPPPPPPPvPPPPPPPPPPPP
This is the skill required on PS1/PS2/CS/YI:
SSSPPPPPPPPPPPPvPPPPPPPPPPPPSSS

Your "pure PvP experience"? Get out of here with it. It's not a positive aspect, and it destroys the very intention of stage striking. Stage striking presupposes that you are interested in going to a stage that is more or less neutral in round one. That's the entire point. Furthermore, the PvP is still there, it just has more other skills there. :glare:

2) It adds diversity to the starter list, and it's the only thing that could be considered largely diverse, that would also have a huge focus on a pure pvp experience.

Due to its diversity (lack of platforms), it can make it "gimmicky", and unfair to a certain extent in matchups where platforms play an important role in the matchup on every other stage (it's a subjective thing to decide at what point platforms play too crucial of a role for it to be considered "unfair" or "gimmicky", but then again every stage that's different at all has this same issue to some extent. So I think for this we can probably use common sense to decide).

All-in-all, I think that's enough to make it a perfectly fine starter, since it can be striked in the matchups it's unfair in.
Except that, get this, it's not that simple. See above. Furthermore, "diversity" is one thing, it's just that the same characters that love FD usually love most of the rest of the starter list too.

NNID
Budget_Player
Edited my big Picto counter-post.

go read it.
Yeah, I'm with this. I don't find the comparison to YI remotely fair for several of the reasons already listed.

Some people the 5 starter system gives the 2 best stages to: Diddy, Falco, DDD, and ICs. Thinking about this now, I don't understand this since any player is in control of 3 stages. Going into any set they can guarantee themselves one of three stages. This means at best they can only get their 3rd best stage... But like lets look at things.
Switching to 9 stages adds 4 more. Every player gets 4 strikes so they are in control of 5 stages, guaranteeing one of them.

In the 5 starter system guaranteeing one of 3 stages, the following characters can guarantee themselves:
Diddy: FD, SV, YI (I'm not sure if YI or BF is better for him, but I can see YI being a tad more beneficial overall)
BF is commonly seen in my region is a really good Diddy stage, and considering that my region is more or less dominated by europe's best diddy...

Falco: FD, SV, BF
ICs: FD, SV, YI
DDD: FD, SV, YI

Now with the 9 starter system guaranteeing 5 stages:
Diddy: FD, SV, YI, PS1, BF
Falco: FD, SV, BF, CS, PS1
ICs: FD, SV, YI, PS1, CS
DDD: FD, SV, CS, PS1, YI

Now remember that each opponent has 2 strikes so can strike the best 2 stages of your character, so at best you're only going to get your third best stage.

For all the stages above I listed the stages in order of how good it is, decreasingly of course. I might be off a little bit, but it's close enough. By this I mean in the 9 starter system Falco's best stage is FD and his 5th best is PS1.

And similar to only getting your 3rd best stage in a 5 starter system, you can only get your 5th best stage in the 9 starter system.

So now ask yourself (the reader), is YI that much better than BF for Diddy?
Is BF that much better than PS1 for Falco?
Is YI that much better than CS for ICs?
Is YI that much better than.... YI for DDD? lol
Well, first of all...
Yes, yes, yes, and it seems like you struck wrong with DDD (forgetting delfino?). It does make a difference. And here's the biggest deal, one thing you completely forgot: you suddenly have a choice. It's not all on autopilot. Maybe you'd rather fight diddy on BF than YI for whatever reason. Maybe you're not that great on the most "neutral" stage in the 5-starter list; you'd have to go down a level, which can be a pretty big deal. Personal preference suddenly plays more or a role.
And this is just a few matchups; 9-starter helps most matchups get to the most neutral stage.
In short, you're pretty much wrong with your statements, you're ignoring personal preference completely, and you hand-picked a few matchups (and did it poorly as well). Overswarm was pretty much right.

I've read most of the thread and the arguments for a larger started list. You know, I'll probably be looked down on for even suggesting it but...

...Couldn't we say ditch the entire idea of a "counter pick only" list and only have a "starter" list? Maybe take out pictochat to make it 13 and do stage strikes and bans from there. If people want to include Jungle Japes (which I support as an awesome stage) then maybe there could be another stage to add to bring it up to 15.

I mean the idea of what constitutes a neutral stage seems pretty character/match up specific and is therefore subjective as a whole. If your going to diversify the starter list to 9 stages with quite dissonant properties and pros/cons based on characters, why not just throw in all tournament viable stages?
This would be the ideal if we had forever to strike. Unfortunately we don't...

Thank god.

Browny, I'll accept other logic when it's presented to me sensibly. So far I have my competitive ruleset design theory, which works. It's based on exactly one axiom, and to reject that axiom you reach, as said, conclusions like "Tic Tac Toe = Chess" in terms of competitiveness. And I extrapolate most of the rest from there. It's not that I'm closed-minded, it's that most of the logic "your side" has presented has ranged from "not very convincing" to "I'm not even going to argue about it" (Alex and Xyro). I mean, for ****s sake, Table just tried to argue with "well, people must hold this faulty subjective opinion for some reason, right?" So I'll keep defending what is logically sensible, regardless of if that changes or not.

Tesh

Smash Hero
That's a pretty good cop out lmfao
I figured since BPC likes to be condescending when people don't agree with him and you do the same, you might like to flame the hell out of each other for a while to determine the winner of this debate.

At least BPC is actually capable of explaining himself.

Top Bottom