• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
LOL this thread just became my favorite.

"Temple. No Hazards. Starter material? I THINK NOT!" <- Made me die and come back to life.

On a more serious note what is wrong with having a 7 stater and adding a couple more stages JJapes, Norfair for CPs?

@Live Topic from JoWii: Your post was just as counterproductive as his, as in you can fall into the same reporting group. Also you are derailing the thread dog.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
^ Then report me too. I'll cry about it tonight when I fall asleep because SWF is my life and I need to be able to breathe.

We should juss adopt a 3-stage starter list imo.

Edit: In the same way people say 'Well it works in this German tournament so America should adopt it.' you can say 'Well it works in this Japanese tournament so America should adopt it'.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Then why ***** at buddy over there when that hurt him as much as it hurt you JoWii. Lol

What tournies won't count??

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
It was just strongly implied by Tin Man that if I host a tournament in our region that doesn't follow this ruleset, then it will be completely ignored for purposes of our PR.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
What does the BBRRC have to do with the people in charge of my region's PR being *******es?

Yikarur

Smash Master
it's terrible how BPC tries to reaso everything with his blog that just represents his view.
and now he tries to do the same with why FD shouldn't be starter :/

well the only stage I can see that could replace FD on a 5 Starter List is PS2 but that stage has Public Problems.

NNID
Budget_Player
it's terrible how BPC tries to reaso everything with his blog that just represents his view.
and now he tries to do the same with why FD shouldn't be starter :/

well the only stage I can see that could replace FD on a 5 Starter List is PS2 but that stage has Public Problems.
...PS1? :urg:

Also, I'm not using my blog to say, "It says here in this convincing source that I'm right", I'm using it to say "instead of writing out this gigantic wall of text again, I'll just link you to it and let you make what you want to out of it." The alternative would be, well, writing out a gigantic wall of text that I've written before every time the topic comes up.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Then why ***** at buddy over there when that hurt him as much at hurt you JoWii. Lol

I'm not sure if that sentence should count since I don't know what it means, but I gather the meaning behind it from your explicits.

I call out BPC for spamming nonsense, by spamming nonsense, because if he's allowed, I'm allowed. If he's allowed to go into every major announcement thread, and post the SAME posts over and over again over the course of a few years, then I can go into any major thread and lulz at him over and over again. All I'm reeeeeallly doing is lulzing over things he says. Sometimes I hate on how the mods don't stop him since it's not nice to shut out any opinion regardless of post history. Sometimes I just lulz.

So I'll 'explicit term' all day if he's able to spam all day.

I suppose if I absolutely need to argue for something in order to be in this thread, which isn't a criteria AT ALL, then I suppose I'll start arguing that foreign influences shouldn't be allowed to affect dramatically what a US ruleset has in place since a large majority of the community that goes to tournaments, don't actually care if some 'revolutional' happens to our ruleset since we're all still going to go the tournaments if that's what you're here for.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not sure if that sentence should count since I don't know what it means, but I gather the meaning behind it from your explicits.

I call out BPC for spamming nonsense, by spamming nonsense, because if he's allowed, I'm allowed. If he's allowed to go into every major announcement thread, and post the SAME posts over and over again over the course of a few years, then I can go into any major thread and lulz at him over and over again. All I'm reeeeeallly doing is lulzing over things he says. Sometimes I hate on how the mods don't stop him since it's not nice to shut out any opinion regardless of post history. Sometimes I just lulz.

So I'll 'explicit term' all day if he's able to spam all day.

I suppose if I absolutely need to argue for something in order to be in this thread, which isn't a criteria AT ALL, then I suppose I'll start arguing that foreign influences shouldn't be allowed to affect dramatically what a US ruleset has in place since a large majority of the community that goes to tournaments, don't actually care if some 'revolutional' happens to our ruleset since we're all still going to go the tournaments if that's what you're here for.
I'm not sure what your perception of the Global Rules are, but there is no infraction for having an incorrect opinion, nor is there one for, as far as I can tell you're complaining about, posting frequently, unless it's actually on the level of spamming.

There are, however, infractions for flaming and trolling.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
BPC can post the same thing every single time because a lot of his points are never actually disproven.

Seriously, I have yet to see any real counter-arguments against most of his stuff.

NNID
Budget_Player
Jowii, you're missing a few things...
1. I am arguing based on logic. I'm not just spouting an uninformed opinion (like some people I know), I'm taking my experience, combined with the data we have and logic, and making points based on that. And because people are willing to ignore me again and again, I will keep trying to make my voice be heard by the rational people here on smashboards. In case you haven't noticed, it seems to kinda be, well, working.
2. My being outside the country has nothing to do with it. If I want to spend my time making good points, then I damn well will. If a person tells you "1+1=2", it doesn't matter if he's german, french, or American. If I go to the US in the future, I don't want to see Japan, I want to see MLG rulesets. And whether or not this directly effects me... Hey, do me a favor, go read the top german TOs' minds, will ya?
3. Why isn't this working? I mean, obviously I'm not flaming you and obviously you're not getting me to leave... What are you doing wrong? Come on, troll me harder. Goatse is prolly a good idea as well. Keep doing it, maybe it'll stick! As in I'll figure it out! ;) And THANK YOU ANKOKU!
4. John pretty much hit the nail on the head right there. :laugh:

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Ah, I see now.

I can't host a tournament because it'll be ignored by our PR.

I SEE HOW IT IS.
Not at all.

Then why ***** at buddy over there when that hurt him as much as it hurt you JoWii. Lol

It was just strongly implied by Tin Man that if I host a tournament in our region that doesn't follow this ruleset, then it will be completely ignored for purposes of our PR.
You need to ask more questions imo.

What does the BBRRC have to do with the people in charge of my region's PR being *******es?
You need to learn to control your rage.

When I said tourney's won't count, I meant wether or not tourneys won't be recognized by smashboards if they don't follow the ruleset, not by me. Thats what I was asking, an honest question. I want a response from the BRC as to what exactly will happen to tourneys that don't follow this ruleset. Inside and outside of the USA.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I wasn't talking about BPC I was talking about the person you quoted.

LOL @Ankoku

Distant Planet I could see being a CP (as much as I despise it)

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
there is no infraction for having an incorrect opinion, nor is there one for, as far as I can tell you're complaining about, posting frequently, unless it's actually on the level of spamming.
jowii, be careful because mods like to say THIS^

There are, however, infractions for flaming and trolling.
And then when they get frustrated with you they claim you are doing THIS^

even though you never were in the first place. its one of those "odd" things

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
jowii, be careful because mods like to say THIS^

And then when they get frustrated with you they claim you are doing THIS^
Iknorite?! It's okay though. I fight on against tyranny supporting the few.

@Ankoku- Yo dawhg, I know you're all elite on shizniz on this website about Brawl yo, but at what point is spam considered spam then? How about.....several threads, for several tens of pages, saying the same thing?

I feel as though you're targeting me because maybe there's some kind of obligation by mods to allow posting of nonsense in order to promote some agenda. But if that's the case then I suppose neither I, nor BPC should get infracts, right?

Edit: @BPC- The rest of your points are completely valid, and then I got to point #3 and I saw that you're saying that I'm trolling by posting, and that it's not having any affect on you.

That's what you're doing as well. Do you not see that? The people in power at this point are the BBR-RC and they use american tournament info, and TOs, to decide things. So you posting info to convince a buncha low tiers, and non-US residents, has as much effect as me 'trolling' you. Go back to posting your 'good posts' and I'll continue to lulz at them.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
honestly in the end the only real problem with this is that it forces people to go by one set of rules unless they want no turn out and not have their tournies represent towards PR due to it's so called "unofficiality," and the need for a 7 stage starter list along with the addition of japes and possibly norfair.

fix at least one of those and all the arguements will die down to a large degree imo

NNID
Budget_Player

@Ankoku- Yo dawhg, I know you're all elite on shizniz on this website about Brawl yo, but at what point is spam considered spam then? How about.....several threads, for several tens of pages, saying the same thing?

I feel as though you're targeting me because maybe there's some kind of obligation by mods to allow posting of nonsense in order to promote some agenda. But if that's the case then I suppose neither I, nor BPC should get infracts, right?

Edit: @BPC- The rest of your points are completely valid, and then I got to point #3 and I saw that you're saying that I'm trolling by posting, and that it's not having any affect on you.
I've basically been saying "you're wrong" and not flaming you. In fact, I really want you to keep trolling me, because if you get banned, I don't have to deal with you any more. :)

That's what you're doing as well. Do you not see that? The people in power at this point are the BBR-RC and they use american tournament info, and TOs, to decide things. So you posting info to convince a buncha low tiers, and non-US residents, has as much effect as me 'trolling' you. Go back to posting your 'good posts' and I'll continue to lulz at them.
Yes, because people in MD/VA are obviously out of country. Yes, because since I showed up in this thread, the atmosphere has not shifted, not even slightly. Yes, because you keep on proving me wrong at every turn. Just... stop. Your posts are objectively bad.

@Marhaba: you have to remember, this will be used by everyone. Throw in Norfair and AN is going to **** themselves.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

Other than hearing various things about BPC in passing, I haven't seen much in terms of reported posts regarding him. Honestly, Brawl is one of my lower priorities in terms of games, so I don't really see where you're going with any of that. I try to stay impartial throughout anything I look over, and I typically try to avoid giving out infractions, but open defiance of rules with full knowledge of what you might get infracted for certainly does not make it easy to just overlook the entire page of posts. Spam is considered spam when it is off-topic or irrelevant, or if he happened to post something he said already repeatedly in the span of one thread. Happening to carry the same opinion throughout multiple threads is hardly something punishable.

Anyway, if you have a personal problem with BPC, I recommend the Ignore User feature, since it will force you to take extra effort to specifically target him with what looks like several months's worth of hatred.

NNID
Budget_Player
Atlantic North. Especially NY/NJ. They're the most conservative part of the country, as far as I know (just look at APEX), and adding a stage like Norfair... I predict that they'd just start rejecting the ruleset out of hand.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I've basically been saying "you're wrong" and not flaming you. In fact, I really want you to keep trolling me, because if you get banned, I don't have to deal with you any more. :)

Yes, because people in MD/VA are obviously out of country. Yes, because since I showed up in this thread, the atmosphere has not shifted, not even slightly. Yes, because you keep on proving me wrong at every turn. Just... stop. Your posts are objectively bad.

@Marhaba: you have to remember, this will be used by everyone. Throw in Norfair and AN is going to **** themselves.
1st part- No problem.

2nd part- Low tiers AND non-US residents. There is a difference in groups there. Annnnnnnd, I'm not a debater, that should be paaaainfully obvious. Why do you think that I'm arguing for a 'win', or to 'prove you wrong'? I'm just making it obvious that the things you say are lulz-worthy because they are incredibly lulzy. Derp.

@Ankoku- I guess SWF has more to offer than just Brawl, but w/ Brawl being the most recent game, and the largest majority/ activity on this website, I just headed this website as 'Brawl'. It wasn't an attack on you, but I suppose if you need to infract me, then go ahead and assume that it's me trying to imply something. <3 And BPC can ignore me, so maybe you'll wanna give him the same option. JUSS TO BE FAIR, YA KNOW I'M JUSS SAIYAN. ;D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Constantly asking - literally asking - to get infracted does not help you case, either. Considering the last infraction I've given you was... did I actually ever infract you..? ..yeah, in February... I don't see why you're taking the attitude you are. Stayin' frosty, I suppose.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Assume maybe that there's no tone to my posts.

I'm just posting in a thread, and responding to posts directed at me.

Problem?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah, just a slight one. This thread's been derailed enough as it is. If you have any further issue with policy, myself, or BPC, please take it to PMs. Same goes for the rest of you. Let's get this back on topic.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Let's adopt a 3-stage starter like the japanese and be done with it. We'll be similar to other fighting games that have PvP instead of PvPvS. YAAAAAY.

:awesome:

Edit: Srs. I agree to SV almost every match if people are fine with it. Lots of US tournament goers are, so let's just skip the compromise.

NNID
Budget_Player
Except what you're missing is that that vS part adds an entirely new (and usually positive) dimension to the game's depth. It forces the player to adapt to his opponent not only over various opponents and matchups, but also over various environments, and this is INCREDIBLE for game depth. Think about it. With 1 stage, you have 39! (39+38+37...) matchups. With 2 stages, my math is bad but the number is either doubled or you get (39*2)!. Not sure, as said, I'm bad at math. Furthermore, even with only one stage legal, there will still be the PvS aspect present. So your entire premise is false.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Except what you're missing is that that vS part adds an entirely new (and usually positive) dimension to the game's depth. It forces the player to adapt to his opponent not only over various opponents and matchups, but also over various environments, and this is INCREDIBLE for game depth. Think about it. With 1 stage, you have 39! (39+38+37...) matchups. With 2 stages, my math is bad but the number is either doubled or you get (39*2)!. Not sure, as said, I'm bad at math. Furthermore, even with only one stage legal, there will still be the PvS aspect present. So your entire premise is false.
Cool story bro. I wasn't asking for an opinion, but thank you for offering yours. It was cute, and I certainly like the punch line, but for the most part I just don't care about game depth in regards to adding stages.

I don't mind only having to learn 39 MUs because you know what? People play their characters different. Seriously, how obvious is that? There's a difference between an aggro MK, Anti, a defensive MK, Ally, and a combo MK, M2K's. That's 3 different MU experiences from one character, and there's still 38 OTHER characters I gotta figure out.

I've already PM'd you per Ankoku's request, so if you don't mind, I'll continue to laugh at your post if you continue to respond to me.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
lol what

One stage legal

Even if the game can be competitive under that circumstance

It's minus a TON of competitive depth

NNID
Budget_Player
Cool story bro. I wasn't asking for an opinion, but thank you for offering yours. It was cute, and I certainly like the punch line, but for the most part I just don't care about game depth in regards to adding stages.

I don't mind only having to learn 39 MUs because you know what? People play their characters different. Seriously, how obvious is that? There's a difference between an aggro MK, Anti, a defensive MK, Ally, and a combo MK, M2K's. That's 3 different MU experiences from one character, and there's still 38 OTHER characters I gotta figure out.

I've already PM'd you per Ankoku's request, so if you don't mind, I'll continue to laugh at your post if you continue to respond to me.
...So you're a scrub? Like, you don't want to increase game depth because "it's too hard"? We're the competitive community. That's simply not a valid excuse, I'm sorry. While you're at it, please reduce the game to just one matchup, because there are so many different ways to play MK, introducing extra variables like Falco or (god forbid) YOSHI into gameplay would be way, way too hard.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
And believe it or not, people are agreeing with me. Look, I know, in your views, FD is not a CP. Your views regarding starters are baseless and wrong. Please, tell me this: why is a stage that is:
-Drastically different from any other stage in the game
-A serious counterpick for half of the top tier characters
-banned in over 1/3rd of all MLG matches
Is a starter? Because it's static? Why? Tell me: what makes a stage a good starter? Please, tell me this, and then back it up somehow. Just something to convince me that a stage that is incredibly unique, a huge counterpick, and one of the most-banned stages ever should be a starter. It may seem like something you can dismiss out of hand... It isn't. Simply assuming "FD is a legit starter" is not a reasonable position to assume out of hand, because there's very, very little reason to hold it any more. FD is a hardcore counterpick.
ugh okay I have some freetime I might as well answer this, I may not reply to whatever over-the-top, ridiculous points you give in return, though. idk how much patience I have

1st point: That's an argument for it being banned, not for it being a counterpick instead of a starter.

And it's not drastically different. You know, your points might seem less strong if you wouldn't use such emphasis words. Very, drastically, serious, etc are all hella hyperbole when used in the contexts that you tend to use them, especially since you're trying to be so objective and ****.

2nd point: That's an argument for it being banned, again. Those things that are sometimes counterpicks are what your strikes are for. We get an abundance of strikes for those stages that happen to be bad in the matchup we're playing!

3rd: I thought it was just under 1/3rd.... I thought it was like 30%. Anyways, again, this is another argument related to trying to get the stage outright banned, not removed from the starter list. Now I'm sure you'll object to this, and say something without thinking like "Why? If it's unfair overall, then it's obviously unfair in a starter list!"

We get an abundance of strikes, unless we're playing with a 3 stage starter list (which would be awesome. And, hell, if we were using a 3 stage starter list, having FD off wouldn't be so bad, since you'd be able to guarantee a more pvp-based stage first round if you wanted). Our strikes are there to get rid of those stages that are unusually bad in the matchup we're playing, or that we're personally uncomfortable with.

Before you say "LOL SCRUBBY DUMMY WE SHOULD ADD RC THEN", take into account that balance of matchups may not be what we're looking for in a starter list. We may be looking for stages in the first round that ARE static. So that it's a more pvp environment, where it's to see who has more of a mastery of the basics that are present on every stage.

It'd be subjective to state that FD simply feels like a balanced player-vs-player stage in some matchups (not all). It'd be subjective to state that FD is obviously a starter because it's just a pvp fight.

Being initially subjective, though, doesn't make an idea inherently wrong. Sometimes common sense is based on a lot more than you might think after a post-intial, surface-level, "objective", inspection.

FD feeling neutral might be subjective. But stating that environments moving around, being forced off of your current ground, having options limited depending on how long you've been in a certain location, having options limited completely randomly, can take away from a player's focus on the pvp aspects of the game is pretty objective, no?

Sometimes we can't come up with an objective way of stating why we subjectively feel one way. Sometimes it can take a really long time, or possibly never even happen. Just because the theory of gravity hadn't been established didn't mean that it was subjective to think that its effects existed, and because it was subjective it was inherently wrong.

We can't necessarily give you a completely objective criteria for why FD is a better starter than RC, but most tourney-goers can probably subjectively state that RC as a starter, with its justification being that FD is a starter, is just plain ********, regardless of if some theorycrafters state it's "balanced". It doesn't feel balanced when you play it, and that's for a million reasons that I could never even begin to tell you all of them. I could give you a few if you want, but you'd likely say that it's subjective to some extent, and throw it away, even though it's impossible to not be subjective to some extent.

Reasons for why it should be a starter:

1) It provides a pure pvp experience, comparable to battlefield, and for the most part smashville (maybe a few other stages).

2) It adds diversity to the starter list, and it's the only thing that could be considered largely diverse, that would also have a huge focus on a pure pvp experience.

Due to its diversity (lack of platforms), it can make it "gimmicky", and unfair to a certain extent in matchups where platforms play an important role in the matchup on every other stage (it's a subjective thing to decide at what point platforms play too crucial of a role for it to be considered "unfair" or "gimmicky", but then again every stage that's different at all has this same issue to some extent. So I think for this we can probably use common sense to decide).

All-in-all, I think that's enough to make it a perfectly fine starter, since it can be striked in the matchups it's unfair in.

Top Bottom