• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Psyco, it isn't the fact that he used somebody other than MK. He used a secondary in ONLY ONE SET. He used MK every other set in that tournament, and he didn't in ONE SET to, idk, get his **** rode or something. That is what makes it intentional under-performance as opposed to just under-performance.
I see. personally i still think its a bit odd, ive never heard of things like this happening in other tournament scenes (then again i am still relatively new, curse my young age)
also, erryone knows women dont flaunt themselves that easily unless youre paying XD
anywa,y its not going to bother me, his ban will have been and gone by the time apex comes around, which is potentially the only time i can afford to go to america for brawl.
as a side note, you reackon you can enlighten me on how ike can beats pikachu? i keep getting drawn against them in bracket :(

Tesh

Smash Hero
If you guys lose Xyro, you aren't gonna be able to say the best regions use this ruleset. Ya'll better be real nice to him.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Spoilers: We were discussing the possibility of removing Brinstar. Esam was too against it, so he left without warning, even though there wasn't even a full discussion on it yet. What's worse is he's using that as a reason for leaving when he already posted a couple days ago that he was leaving anyway because he can't host anymore....

So two BBR-RC members left because they're not hosting anymore anyway. /shrug

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Oh, and guys, I'm not part of the BRC anymore. They were discussing something really ****ing stupid in my opnion, so I quit before that decision was made. I don't want to be part of something that the entire MW and pretty much every non-conservative will be upset about. So ****ing stupid.

IT'S ALL BOUT DAT JAPES, NORFAIR, DISTANT PLANET, GREEN GREENS, LUIGI'S MANSION, AND PICTOCHAT BABY
People (mostly OS but then the idea spread) have been saying that it's easier to go on banning instead of legalizing a stage for months. Not surprised at all, really. I would prefer that BRC would hold more public polls and community involvement, because unlike BBR's recommended stuff, BRC is basically a mandate for all of the larger tournaments. All the BRC members can do is theorize what people like when the people are already right here.

@GS
We've seen M2k using Falco before I think. In general, I don't really care much of people joking around in pools.

Just to be safe, though, I agree with the people who think the prospective top seed of each pool should play everyone first. If they play last and they're guaranteed a top seed anyways, they can lose to whoever they want and it'll only affect lower seeds.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Spoilers: We were discussing the possibility of removing Brinstar. Esam was too against it, so he left without warning, even though there wasn't even a full discussion on it yet. What's worse is he's using that as a reason for leaving when he already posted a couple days ago that he was leaving anyway because he can't host anymore....

brinstar...
im with keeping it, but i can imagine i may have different views should we have a real dead set meta main in the UK

@san: i agree with the 1st seed playing pools first, but for someone like m2k, who would be top seed in both melee and brawl, that wont be possible.

of course, its easy to simply say 'any special cases can continue as normal' or somethnig to that effect

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers

Really wish ESAM had just said that instead of causing all of this drama...

Also, if Brinstar gets banned, I swear it had better not be because of Metaknight's existence...

Flayl

Smash Hero
Is there any convincing argument that Brinstar should be banned besides "MK is really good on it" (which btw doesn't convince me but meh)?

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
I can sort of see why Esam was upset at just the thought of the discussion though, after he posted angrily in this thread constantly when people kept bringing up to ban Brinstar or RC, but the thread got brought up due to how increasingly problematic MK seems to be between having both stages. It was just frustrating that he tried to use that as a reason for leaving the group when he planned to anyway, I expected better of him...

ADHD: I don't see that happening anytime soon.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
John#'s: you realize while that is your opinion, for everyone person that thinks that way (and I would argue that is likely the logical thought process) there are 30 people who just don't care enough about logic or care enough to fight the uphill battle against MK there. I really don't like spending time on the debate of stages and so for me if I see an overwhelming majority in some opinion I can go with it.

ESAM: I'm surprised you are leaving just because we were even discussing a stage, and I don't even think the vote would be in favor of banning it had it gone that far.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
John#'s: you realize while that is your opinion, for everyone person that thinks that way (and I would argue that is likely the logical thought process) there are 30 people who just don't care enough about logic or care enough to fight the uphill battle against MK there. I really don't like spending time on the debate of stages and so for me if I see an overwhelming majority in some opinion I can go with it.

ESAM: I'm surprised you are leaving just because we were even discussing a stage, and I don't even think the vote would be in favor of banning it had it gone that far.
yeah, i certainly wouldnt want to fight MK there.
i think something that would be good as a ruling is to be able to have brinstar OR rainbow cruise as a counterpick stage, but not both

just throwing that out there

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
AZ, you are a liar. Based on what i saw at least, you were supporting banning one of them, as was Keitaro (Even though he is no longer there)

I busted my *** to try and keep the public relations of that committee off (As well at TChase, mad props to him). I posted again and again that neither would get banned, that neither had a chance. And now, just because MKs won another national, you guys are discussing it? It's not that big of a ****ing problem guys. Jesus ****ing **** christ ****** **** ****

The BBR-RC is pointless and will only go worse. I'm sorry to everybody I was unintentionally deceiving saying that stages would only get added at this point. I was stupid. I honestly believed it. I hate how the idiots are the most vocal, and since they are ultimately trying to make the community happy, they end up trying to make bad decisions. **** that ****. **** this community.

BSP

Smash Legend
TWO STAGE BANS

Congrats, Brinstar/RC is not a problem, nowjapesandnorfairpl0x
inb4 that hurts every other character unnecessarily.

Or

If brinstar/RC is selected as a CP, the CP'er can not select MK. The winner of the previous game can only be MK if he was MK the previous game.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Esam: That doesn't mean it still can't be discussed. You could have easily posted ANYTHING to argue against it, but instead just raged...and continue to rage. srsly calm down.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
ESAM: I'm not lying. I said in the BBR-RC I could/would support banning Brinstar...and I think I just said as much publicly. The group (myself included) who could see it getting banned is still out numbered in the BBR-RC I believe.

I hate how the idiots are the most vocal, and since they are ultimately trying to make the community happy, they end up trying to make bad decisions. **** that ****. **** this community.
I agree. However at this point I would prefer the route with less public friction when it comes to rules, even though I know logically (may not be best word choice) they are wrong. I'm talking from the stance, after all, of having advocated and implemented the most diverse stagelist for nationals last year with $70,000 riding on that decision. If I could go back and do it again, I would appease the masses instead of appeasing the very small minority of logical "don't ban unless broken" players.

Nidtendofreak: Umm, you can't. Banning Brinstar is a decision simply because there are so many people in the community who hate its existence.

All this is acting as if we have already banned the stage. We haven't. We aren't really far into discussing it either. I'm fairly certain more people support that stage in the BBR-RC then want it banned, though obviously I can't be sure.

ESAM I'm sorry you feel so strongly about this and that you are fed up with things. I respect you opinion a lot and I have highly valued all the time you have put into this.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Describe how Brinstar is bannable without mentioning or referencing a character.
only thing i can go with personally is how close the boundaries are, but that effects all characters, its a simialr scenario to halberd with its vertical blastzone

@AZ: brinstar, i think it should be one of those things which can be decided by the TO without it affecting their chances of getting stickied. like a counterpick/banned section if you will

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Golden-psyco: that would defeat the purpose of having uniform rules. Also to answer your previous question: I'm only looking at statistics for US tournaments since that is the only area covered by the Unity Ruleset.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Nidtendofreak: Umm, you can't. Banning Brinstar is a decision simply because there are so many people in the community who hate its existence.
Quite frankly: if they can't give a good reason without instantly going "BAAAAAAAAAAW, MK IS TOO GOOD HERE", tell them to suck it up and get used to it. Because MK will end up with another pair of "too good" CPs. It will just keep being that way until only starters are left. It will be Delfino that MKs more likely CP to in most MUs if RC is strike'd and Brinstar is ban'd. Nothing is going to change. It's pointless.

The problem isn't the stage, it's the character.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
If you guys lose Xyro, you aren't gonna be able to say the best regions use this ruleset. Ya'll better be real nice to him.
Wahahaha!!!

Don't worry, they'll still have the most ppowerful people/regions represented by people like Yink and Z'zgashi!

Wahahahahah!!!

Wahahahahahah!!!

BSP

Smash Legend
Or ban Rainbow, and bring it back someday

I can see more non MK reasons to ban Rainbow than I can for Brinstar

Or just stop MK from CP'ing them entirely and the problem goes away

And I agree with Nidtendofreak. Mk will find other CPs.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Golden-psyco: that would defeat the purpose of having uniform rules. Also to answer your previous question: I'm only looking at statistics for US tournaments since that is the only area covered by the Unity Ruleset.
wouldn't the possibility of slightly slack rules save a lot of these silly arguements over stages which can-occasionally-get a bit personal?
also, just because im not american, doesnt mean i cant contribute ot the metagame, im very large on maknig this scene progress aswell, i simply cant do much with real life actions as i live thoroughly in the middle of nowhere

D

Deleted member

If we're appeasing to the masses (which I agree with to an extent), then MK should have been banned by now >.>
I'm sorry to say it, but this is the solid truth. By even considering discussing the legality of Brinstar, a perfectly fine CP, as a bad stage because so many "people hate it", you're dancing around the issue as to WHY people hate it.

If you want a true "Unity" Ruleset to promote a happy, unified community, then just do what the community actually wants, already.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
AZ, you are backwards. I don't think the people saying "If it isn't broken, don't ban it" are the ones in the wrong. I think it is the other way around. I would much rather have Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Japes, Green Greens, Norfair, and PTAD legal than ban Brinstar or Rainbow Cruise.

You say that "It isn't enough" to convince the BRC? As if half of the people in there talk about anything. I'm sick of the inactivity in something that could've been so ****ing great, and it was thrown to waste. **** that.

Unsubscribing to this thread. Have fun keeping up Public Relations without me. ****ers.

D

Deleted member

ESAM, I really respect your opinion in all of this, but it could do without the flaming.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Why is ESAM so mad? Is Brinstar good for pikachu or something?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Why is ESAM so mad? Is Brinstar good for pikachu or something?
i think he just disagrees...a lot

its a case of whether its legal or not in your mind, and not if its particularly good or bad for yor character.

ike hates frigate with a passion, but its still legal and i agree

he definetely hates mk, but theres no way hes worthy of a ban in my opinion

Top Bottom